• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

FourDoor

Tashi0106 said:
lol, I've been talking so much about Onyx, I'm gonna end up in Gold and just embarrass myself :lol :lol I'll stop now.

Set expectations low bro. You'll have the whole world watching your stream tomorrow. LOL :lol

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Tashi0106 said:
lol, I've been talking so much about Onyx, I'm gonna end up in Gold and just embarrass myself :lol :lol I'll stop now.

You'll hit Onyx all right, at the start. You'll just have to maintain it when the flood of "Pro's" come in and the competition gets that much harder. =P

Hey You

I haven't seen or heard any Official work about the H2 email codes from Bungie or Microsoft. Support isn't the best source for that sorta thing. I've heard many different cases from different people about the responses from XBL support. I guess we'll find out soon.

Dani said:
Fear me!

ani208.gif
h3227.jpg

Oh wait :p

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
hahahaah

You're right door. I'm going to set the status of my stream to, "Halo Reach Beta Steel with Tashi" :lol

rac

Banned
CrazedArabMan said:
hoping for a F+F code, but doubtful
I've been F5ing this thread all day in hope of a Code being posted.
I'll let you beat me in ping pong bungie.

GhaleonEB

Church RvB said:
All of your concerns are legitimate. But what I'm saying is it all depends on how good this Custom Game Browser was.

Would you be able to select Last Resort DEFAULT?
Can you view the game settings before entering the lobby?
Could you (the custom game creator) put up a description tag of the people your looking to play with/what you're trying to accomplish with you custom game?

Matchmaking is great. I just get sooooo tired of playing the same bullshit. I want variety.
To the first: I think there are just too many variables in Halo for custom browsing to work. Everything from spawns to weapon placement to player traits can be changed, so a preview in the browser would not be useful for describing how the map and game were changed. And restricting the maps to the default setting would defeat the purpose of a custom game.

To the latter, I don't think custom game searching is the solution. I think community hoppers are. Forge variants via Atlas were added late in Halo 3's life cycle, and while a valiant effort that yielded some nice variety in some playlists, didn't have nearly the impact they could have. I suspect due to a lack of resources, infrastructure and planning needed to make it really work; it wasn't part of the matchmaking or playlist design initially.

If we had a few community hoppers to test custom map and gametype variants that Bungie - or the community - flagged, and Bungie had a process for pulling the best out and moving them into the general playlists, I think we'd have a middle ground where user content could trickle into matchmaking, which would no longer be so stagnant. Given the overhaul Forge will inevitably get, it's my hope that the process to flag, test and roll out community content into the playlists is likewise a top level priority from day one of Reach's release. Obviously, resources will be an issue.

I'm hopeful for a win in one of the F&F compos I entered, but I am fully ready for the disappointment that will occur when I don't win and then the 2nd disappointment when everyone crashes Justin.tv watching Tashi's stream leaving us all out in the cold. :lol

Kibbles

Woo! Just bought a brand new wired controller in preparation for the beta. All my wireless controllers are all worn out and have some sort of problem. This feels so much better, and since it's wired I won't have to worry about batteries or a faulty charger. $35 at K-Mart, decent price.

Church RvB said:
All of your concerns are legitimate. But what I'm saying is it all depends on how good this Custom Game Browser was.

Would you be able to select Last Resort DEFAULT?
Can you view the game settings before entering the lobby?
Could you (the custom game creator) put up a description tag of the people your looking to play with/what you're trying to accomplish with you custom game?

Matchmaking is great. I just get sooooo tired of playing the same bullshit. I want variety.

Well unlike the other guy your talking about having fairly standard gametypes? If variety is your reason for wanting this then your going to be sadly mistaken. Go check out Halo PC, the majority of servers are for Blood Gulch. Matchmaking certainly serves variety better for standard gametypes. If you want wacky gametypes then a custom game browser will struggle to filter the level of wackyness you want.

If everyone could just open up a custom game and play theyre favorite map then people will avoid matchmaking, so having a custom game browser would kill matchmakings population.

Im going to drop the subject here, as others have said its a moot point. I personally find this interesting but as its not directly Reach related, were just clogging up the thread.

I do want to finish by saying that I do see why its a good thing and how cool it would be, so despite the fact I have pointed out all the flaws, I would like it. If they can impliment it in such a way that it doesnt hurt Matchmaking then that would be awesome.

zewone

What's the story on active camo killing audio from weapons?

Does that just affect you, or are your guns silent to enemies as well?

Striker

bobs99 ... said:
They FRUSTRATE me on the PC :lol , I dont want to play weird rules and mods! I guess if you were lucky enough to come across a cool bunch of people playing a unique gametype it could be good, but I garuntee most of the games will be people who want you to try out theyre crappy custom game rules.

It would also take population away from matchmaking. I just dont like the idea of a service which will be hit and miss taking away from a service which works well.
Halo 3 has near 20 playlists. In your mind, isn't that really splitting itself? I think the population reasoning is null and quite frankly, redundant.

Thankfully Reach is addressing that serious humility and cutting it down a ton.

Nutter

Tashi0106 said:
pfft, tashi if you finish below dax.. you need to turn in your Halo Elite badge.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
zewone said:
What's the story on active camo killing audio from weapons?

Does that just effect you, or are your guns silent to enemies as well?

The camo player's sounds are muted, not other players. However everyone nearby has their radar jammed.

GhaleonEB said:
To the first: I think there are just too many variables in Halo for custom browsing to work. Everything from spawns to weapon placement to player traits can be changed, so a preview in the browser would not be useful for describing how the map and game were changed. And restricting the maps to the default setting would defeat the purpose of a custom game.

To the latter, I don't think custom game searching is the solution. I think community hoppers are. Forge variants via Atlas were added late in Halo 3's life cycle, and while a valiant effort that yielded some nice variety in some playlists, didn't have nearly the impact they could have. I suspect due to a lack of resources, infrastructure and planning needed to make it really work; it wasn't part of the matchmaking or playlist design initially.

If we had a few community hoppers to test custom map and gametype variants that Bungie - or the community - flagged, and Bungie had a process for pulling the best out and moving them into the general playlists, I think we'd have a middle ground where user content could trickle into matchmaking, which would no longer be so stagnant. Given the overhaul Forge will inevitably get, it's my hope that the process to flag, test and roll out community content into the playlists is likewise a top level priority from day one of Reach's release. Obviously, resources will be an issue.

So wrong. A custom game IMO can use a default map. What if i want to play territories on Valhalla this instant? I can't. Chances are I couldn't find this even if i searched for a few hours. A Custom Game Browser would allow me to get my territories fix and allow other to get their crazy map fix! It's a win-win for everyone! (the only downside is development cost/time/man hours and MAYBE splitting up the MM population.)

Striker said:
Halo 3 has near 20 playlists. In your mind, isn't that really splitting itself? I think the population reasoning is null and quite frankly, redundant.

Thankfully Reach is addressing that serious humility and cutting it down a ton.

I agree 20 playlists is crazy, now imagine if you had a custom game browser how much worse it would be. The thing is, the playlists in Halo 3 all seem to have theyre place, and I wouldnt want to see any of them go =(

Ive come across really negative and that wasnt my aim, I was just pointing out all the flaws with the system and soI want to finish by saying that I do see why its a good thing and how cool it would be, so despite the fact I have pointed out all the flaws, I would like it. If they can impliment it in such a way that it doesnt hurt Matchmaking then that would be awesome.

GhaleonEB

Church RvB said:
So wrong. A custom game IMO can use a default map. What if i want to play territories on Valhalla this instant? I can't. Chances are I couldn't find this even if i searched for a few hours. A Custom Game Browser would allow me to get my territories fix and allow other to get their crazy map fix! It's a win-win for everyone! (the only downside is development cost/time/man hours and MAYBE splitting up the MM population.)
I meant to say "partly" defeat the purpose. You're saying custom gametypes on default maps, but that's not especially exciting to me. Since Halo 3, custom games mean more than chaging gametype settings.

But like I said before: it's a moot point. They're not happening. That post was primarily about what I hope is in place instead.

CozMick

Banned
Wow, I'm gobsmacked.

Just finished watching the Barca/Inter match and this strange advert came on, I was like,

"WTF, these fuckers have stole the Halo theme!"

Then it hit me............

An advert for a damn beta? (It was about a minute long)

Microsoft are gonna go mental with the marketing for this game :lol

bobs99 ... said:
I agree 20 playlists is crazy, now imagine if you had a custom game browser how much worse it would be. The thing is, the playlists in Halo 3 all seem to have theyre place, and I wouldnt want to see any of them go =(

Ive come across really negative and that wasnt my aim, I was just pointing out all the flaws with the system and soI want to finish by saying that I do see why its a good thing and how cool it would be, so despite the fact I have pointed out all the flaws, I would like it. If they can impliment it in such a way that it doesnt hurt Matchmaking then that would be awesome.

No it's ok, we (the community) need people like you and Ghaleon to try and break the concept. It helps strengthen it.

I personally would like to see a dedicated playlist for territories (I know, they had one and apparently no one played it). I'd like to see a dedicated playlist for all gametypes. That is, as an example, a CTF playlist with 1 flag CTF, Neutral Flag, Regular CTF, Blah blah blah. Somewhere where you know you can get your CTF fix on!

kylej

Banned
Church RvB said:
I personally would like to see a dedicated playlist for territories (I know, they had one and apparently no one played it). I'd like to see a dedicated playlist for all gametypes. That is, as an example, a CTF playlist with 1 flag CTF, Neutral Flag, Regular CTF, Blah blah blah. Somewhere where you know you can get your CTF fix on!

You're wasting your time.

Gomu Gomu

CozMick said:
Wow, I'm gobsmacked.

Just finished watching the Barca/Inter match and this strange advert came on, I was like,

"WTF, these fuckers have stole the Halo theme!"

Then it hit me............

An advert for a damn beta? (It was about a minute long)

Microsoft are gonna go mental with the marketing for this game :lol
I hope you're an Inter fan though :D.

Trasher

Tashi0106 said:
Gold?? What?! Nevermind, I don't want you playing with us tomorrow.

I KID I KID. You should play with us tomorrow. We will dong so hard. :)

Kibbles

dilatedmuscle said:
Whats the best resolution video you guys have seen of the recent beta clips? Every video i see seems to look terrible even in "HD".
This is why I wish Gamersyde captured footage from their event, but apparently they didn't. They don't seem to like Halo anyways though.

feel

darkressurection said:
Wait, did I miss something, did some of you guys get confirmations you are in or are you just being optimistic?
I was wondering about this too. WTF at all the bragging going on...

Rowsdower

Isn't Action Sack a playlist dedicated to "wacky" customs? I don't have the required DLC so i've never played it, but that's what i get from the description. I don't see why they couldn't include something like that in Reach.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
dilatedmuscle said:
Whats the best resolution video you guys have seen of the recent beta clips? Every video i see seems to look terrible even in "HD".

Waypoint's exclusive videos, watching via the Xbox not Youtube, have the best quality I've seen so far.

Quick question for you "top tier" HaloGAFfers, should I invest in getting a good pair of gaming headphones. I have about $80 in Amazon credit and am thinking about getting the Tritton AX180 headset. What do you guys think, is a headset money well spent?

Trasher

LukeSmith said:
Arena isn't up till the 3rd anyway.
^^

Are you reading this Ram?! I told you! Well at least we don't have to worry about our rank while we are still getting used to the controls and everything lol. Maybe I will switch to the Default control settings. I heard that the one who taught me the Haloz did the same thing. We'll see tomorrow.

Rowsdower said:
Isn't Action Sack a playlist dedicated to "wacky" customs? I don't have the required DLC so i've never played it, but that's what i get from the description. I don't see why they couldn't include something like that in Reach.
I tried out Action Sack a few days ago for the first time and GODDAM it was awesome. I loved playing dodgeball on Sandbox.

Top Bottom