• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Doodlebug

Sir Fragula said:
Visiting a friend up in Edinburgh I was forced at knife-point [okay, he offered a smidgeon on the end of an unused knife] to try it when we had lunch in the café just outside the castle. Did not like it one bit - far too 'oaty'.

Thank a Scot who only offers you haggis at knife-point.

Chinner

Banned
i'd like to be cocky and say i'll be playing halo reach tomorrow, but this all depends on whether or not i'll get a f&f invite from the three contests I did as well if I'm still on bungies f&f list (I was for Halo 3).

if not, i'll probably just have a crank and make my girlfriend wear a frankie mask while we make love.

Son of Godzilla said:
And you have a fascinating definition of "fascinating."

No but really, multiple pages where every time you posted you included the one line quote about all games affecting Division and how earth-shattering this revelation was. I mean fuck, there's even a "hold on, I'm gonna make a chart" followed by a damn chart. Oh and, of course, the ridiculously straight-forward chart just makes your bewilderment even more confusing.

Anyways I didn't mean anything by it, it was just funny as fuck.

To be fair its a system that they havent really explained to us properly yet, and im not gonna lie, I love the graphs. The confusion wasnt from interpreting the graphs but from whether the graphs are correct. Im sure some people are going to spend the majority of theyre time on Reach in the Arena so analyzing this stuff is kinda nice.

If you havent got anything nice to say, dont say anything at all. :lol

P.S. I dont see much chicken discussion yet. Chicken Tikka Masala is AMAZING. Like Tashi said Chicken IS the BR

Pappasman

Chinner said:
i'd like to be cocky and say i'll be playing halo reach tomorrow, but this all depends on whether or not i'll get a f&f invite from the three contests I did as well if I'm still on bungies f&f list (I was for Halo 3).

if not, i'll probably just have a crank and make my girlfriend wear a frankie mask while we make love.

I hope i win one as well, but at least i have SSF4 to tide me over until monday.

also, how the hell do you get to your inbox on giantbomb?

Looking forward to tomorrow, I'm in. God this day is gonna move slowly. Don't post much in this thread, but hope to play with Halo Gaf.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
-htownplaya- said:
Looking forward to tomorrow, I'm in. God this day is gonna move slowly. Don't post much in this thread, but hope to play with Halo Gaf.

You Tomorrow-ers are lucky. Get some live streams up for the rest of us! :D

Oozer3993 said:
Nope. Only Matchmaking or setting up your own Custom games, same as always, as far as we know.

facepalm1.jpg

SILLY, NONSENSICAL, AND DISAPPOINTING DECISION

seriously. server lists are ancient news in gaming. bungie, get with the times, this would please an incalculable number of fans.

seriously. server lists are ancient news in gaming. bungie, get with the times, this would please an incalculable number of fans.

Did anyone seriously expect server lists from Bungie, or from a modern console game for that matter?

Letters said:
All the shameless kiss ass attempts at getting a code will make things fun around here these days.
I'd prefer Haggis discussion to code begging. At least I'm being informed about Haggis right now. I have to say my Haggis knowledge has increased like tenfold today. :lol

FunkyMunkey said:

Incalculable, yes. Likely bordering on infinitesimal. Server lists suck ass, don't even make goddamn sense for Halo, and would likely make time between matches longer.

Unless you mean a custom games browser. Then okay.

FunkyMunkey said:

This is why I think custom games browsers would suck, in my opinion server lists or customs games browsers done wrong would be horrific:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21008153&postcount=5391

I agree with matchmaking for firefight though, thats the only mode that really isnt fun without people to play with and the only mode that doesnt support some form of matchmaking.

AnimatorZombie said:
Have a F&F copy.. is it okay to post impressions?

Your playing already? Whats the population like?

agree with matchmaking for firefight though, thats the only mode that really isnt fun without people to play with and the only mode that doesnt support some form of matchmaking.

Network Test 1 = Halo Reach: Reintroducing Firefight, Now With Full Matchmaking!

Believe.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hydranockz said:
I hate to be 'that' guy but unless you can give us some credible proof, chances are, people will think you're just making it up :p

Why would he make it up? :lol

It's not like most if not all the information has been revealed already, besides, he's offering to post impressions - I'd be happy to hear them.

Particularly if he's either very familiar with Halo or the opposite.

JdFoX187

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
This is why I think custom games browsers would suck, in my opinion server lists or customs games browsers done wrong would be horrific:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21008153&postcount=5391
Custom game browswers/sever lists have worked for a lot of games, and are still the preferred method on the PC. The great thing about them is if the game continues after the match ends, you can eventually get a good group of guys together playing different unique gametypes that you wouldn't necessarily find in standard Matchmaking. Some of the more interesting games in Action Sack came out of custom games people threw together in Halo 2/Halo 3. You'll have your idiots, just like in any game, whether it be MM or not, but at least you could set up a game the way you wanted it.

Only thing that would have to be taken into consideration is how it would affect the already long matchmaking times.

Blueblur1

Tashi0106 said:
Way ahead of you on that one
I just hope that there will be some streams tomorrow on justin.tv. The iPhone app for it is decent while Ustream as a service is heavily flawed. And their app stinks. :p

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Blueblur1 said:
I just hope that there will be some streams tomorrow on justin.tv. The iPhone app for it is decent while Ustream as a service is heavily flawed. And their app stinks. :p

MTV is also running a live stream on their site.

Son of Godzilla said:
Incalculable, yes. Likely bordering on infinitesimal. Server lists suck ass, don't even make goddamn sense for Halo, and would likely make time between matches longer.

Unless you mean a custom games browser. Then okay.

An option to set parameters for a custom game, and see a list of current and open games in progress or in the lobby, wouldn't be anything but a good thing.

It'd have absolutely no effect on any other inner workings of the game and would be there for those who want it.

I don't get it.

JdFoX187 said:
Custom game browswers/sever lists have worked for a lot of games, and are still the preferred method on the PC. The great thing about them is if the game continues after the match ends, you can eventually get a good group of guys together playing different unique gametypes that you wouldn't necessarily find in standard Matchmaking. Some of the more interesting games in Action Sack came out of custom games people threw together in Halo 2/Halo 3. You'll have your idiots, just like in any game, whether it be MM or not, but at least you could set up a game the way you wanted it.

Exactly. And the chance to meet others who enjoy the silly no-grav, pistols only, sword juggernaut, etc games that some of us love. Or even the serious games.

Dani said:
Why would he make it up? :lol

It's not like most if not all the information has been revealed already, besides, he's offering to post impressions - I'd be happy to hear them.

Particularly if he's either very familiar with Halo or the opposite.
Atually yeah, nvm. They are opinions lol! My mind is in crazy places today.

On another note, I was playing Sandtrap Heavies today. 7 dudes from the other team quit, but before they did, I picked up a broken missile pod. Broken in the sense that it fired to a Scorpion on the other side of the spine that I was not aware of and certainly did not target myself.

AnimatorZombie said:
Have a F&F copy.. is it okay to post impressions?

Jealous, but sure go ahead. I need something keep me occupied until monday. :lol

Us non F&F people should compose a list of questions that havent been answered yet. Minor details, like destructible walls, etc. Then again, most people playing will probably be busy doing just that. Have fun tomorrow guys. :D

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
A quick (daily reminder)!

The HaloGAF Gamertag has plenty of room left (although the first is already full) so feel free to use it to help connect for the Beta.

GT: HALOGAFBETA2

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Blueblur1 said:

Yea I hear it is. I personally don't own an iPhone but I see banner ads for it every time I go to JTV. I'll link my stream tomorrow as soon as possible. I'm sure I won't be the only person on JTV streaming.

JdFoX187 said:

Only thing that would have to be taken into consideration is how it would affect the already long matchmaking times.

They FRUSTRATE me on the PC :lol , I dont want to play weird rules and mods! I guess if you were lucky enough to come across a cool bunch of people playing a unique gametype it could be good, but I garuntee most of the games will be people who want you to try out theyre crappy custom game rules.

It would also take population away from matchmaking. I just dont like the idea of a service which will be hit and miss taking away from a service which works well.

Toddler

Letters said:
All the shameless kiss ass attempts at getting a code will make things fun around here these days.
I happen to be quite shameful when I kiss ass...

...but I'm still not above it.

Dani said:
A quick (daily reminder)!

The HaloGAF Gamertag has plenty of room left (although the first is already full) so feel free to use it to help connect for the Beta.

GT: HALOGAFBETA2
If HALOGAFBETA was friends with HALOGAFBETA2, could friends from the first find friends of the second?

Example: You are friends with the 1st one and I am friends with the second one. Could you access the 2nd accounts friend list from the 1st accounts friend list? :p

Tashi0106 said:
Yea I hear it is. I personally don't own an iPhone but I see banner ads for it every time I go to JTV. I'll link my stream tomorrow as soon as possible. I'm sure I won't be the only person on JTV streaming.
Everyone who has a brain should watch Tashi's though - if you want to watch how good you need to be to get an Onyx.

Oozer3993

Letters said:

List_of_people_to_direct_burning_jealousy_towards = List_of_people_to_direct_burning_jealousy_towards + 2

Alternatively:

List_of_people_to_direct_burning_jealousy_towards++
List_of_people_to_direct_burning_jealousy_towards++

Coding up an Arena rating app is causing programming to infect every part of my brain lol

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Hydranockz said:
If HALOGAFBETA was friends with HALOGAFBETA2, could friends from the first find friends of the second?

Example: You are friends with the 1st one and I am friends with the second one. Could you access the 2nd accounts friend list from the 1st accounts friend list? :p

2lk8f49.jpg

DualX

Major Williams said:
Everyone who has a brain should watch Tashi's though - if you want to watch how good you need to be to get an Onyx.
link?

Side note: Anyone else wonder if that email from Microsoft (about Halo 2 discontinuing, and inviting us to play the Halo Reach beta) mean we'll be getting a F&F?

Top Bottom