• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Kapura

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
We'll see. I think that's something that Bungie has already taken into account. Maybe getting a kill with a default gun has more weighting than getting one with a power weapon. Maybe sniper headshots have more weighting than normal body shot sniper kills.
Maybe there's a way to detect when the other players are committing seppuku for when I manage to grab a laaer. Straight 1900s.

Also, I'm in class now so I'll need somebody to repost the arena formula if urk can figure out what a cosine is.

Chinner

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
I disagree, its more like:
2wqsnwm.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
NJ Shlice said:
I can imagine someone walking past Frank's desk while he's working on that chart and being like WTF.

I think they will be more concerned with the Justin Bieber Chuck E Cheese gif.

Did anyone post that Welcome To Noble Team is now online?

Just the live action trailer is online right now, but under coming soon there is the "Become a Spartan III" and "Spec Ops Gallery".

While I really like the extended cut a lot more, I still agree it needs a little more.. Something. Was really cool to see the nods to the books though.

Tapiozona

Banned
About the commercial and it may have already been asked pages back...

Shouldn't Spartans be 7 feet tall in their armour? He looks barely over 6 on a good day. Also, shouldnt they be more muscular? Maybe I'm just nit picking but the height thing really bothered me. They're supposed to turn heads with their sheer size.

Oozer3993

Hydranockz said:
I wonder if anyone is curious enough to test a few cases during the beta. What affect would zeroes have on your skill? Say I went in, didn't kill, didn't die, yet the team won? :p Would I get anything I wonder?

I'm attempting to code up a little app where you'll be able to input whatever stats the formula takes and see what it spits out. You'll be able to put in anything and see what your rating would be.

Tapiozona said:

Shouldn't Spartans be 7 feet tall in their armour? He looks barely over 6 on a good day. Also, shouldnt they be more muscular? Maybe I'm just nit picking but the height thing really bothered me. They're supposed to turn heads with their sheer size.

The commercial showed Carter-259, who is a Spartan III. They are, in general, less physically impressive than the Spartan IIs. And the commercial shows him undergoing the augmentations that would go on to provide his large physical stature and musculature.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Tapiozona said:

I could be wrong, but from what I remember reading the III's were not as big in size as II's. Since they were mass produced they used fairly standard armor as well.

As for the muscles, after the entire process I assume he will be.

NJ Shlice

Tapiozona said:

How would you be able to determine his height if he wasn't standing next to any civilians?
And that kid had some body.

Tapiozona said:

S-III (Carter) =/= S-II (Chief, Jorge)

Note how Jorge is enormous in the reveal. He's the only Spartan-II, where the others are all Spartan-IIIs, which are basically the cheap knock-off versions.

scently

Tapiozona said:

He is a SPARTAN-III, not a SPARTAN-II.

Tapiozona said:

The Spartan-III's (most of Noble Team) are a bit smaller than the II's, although they're still large. Compare the size of Jorge in the VGA trailer with everyone else to get a sense of the size difference.

Tapiozona said:

Spartan IIIs aren't as huge as their Spartan II counterparts. While they aren't little guys, they aren't something as crazy as a Spartan II which is primarily due to different augmentation processes.

EDIT- Beaten many times over. I'm a slow typer. :lol

Deadly Cyclone said:
I could be wrong, but from what I remember reading the III's were not as big in size as II's. Since they were mass produced they used fairly standard armor as well.

Yeah this is right. But they did not use a standard armor. I think the SpartanIII Armor is much better as the ODST Armor.

Sean P.

Deadly Cyclone said:

Yea you're right, spartan III's were basically the same size as marines as they had a quick augmentation.

EDIT: Wow super late my bad

GhaleonEB

OuterWorldVoice said:
A Macsween traditional haggis consists of lamb, beef, oatmeal and onions, plus our special blend of spices and seasoning. These are all cooked together in a natural casing to produce our version of Scotland's national dish.
Does "natural casing" mean stomach, or intestines? I recall in Highlander that it was sheep stomach, but I'm not sure if the modern brands retain that traditional aspect.

Stinkles

GhaleonEB said:
Does "natural casing" mean stomach, or intestines? I recall in Highlander that it was sheep stomach, but I'm not sure if the modern brands retain that traditional aspect.

Any watertight animal membrane will do.

But yes, fancy haggis is traditionally sheep stomach lining. Has no reall effect on the flavor. Plastic would work too.

Louis Wu

OuterWorldVoice said:
Any watertight animal membrane will do.

But yes, fancy haggis is traditionally sheep stomach lining. Has no reall effect on the flavor. Plastic would work too.
What the heck?

I thought haggis was 'pluck' (organs) - not 'lamb and beef' (which tends to imply standard meat, not organs).

What is this fake stuff?

So many confusing and funny charts, I'm not sure if I will play arena that much, I have a feeling invasion and generator defense will be my most played when the beta ends.

I'm a few pages behind, but :lol @ ghal's meltdown. And I'm seeing in the review that ya'll ran with the crazy flowcharts. :lol

I'm sure it probably has been explained, but the Daily Ratings are an entrance barrier. You need to get them or you don't go into the system. Once you get them, you can be done. Or you can continue playing, which will affect shit. If the system is done right though, having 3 (or whatever to get the DR) perfect games a day should be the only requirement for being numero un.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hydranockz said:
I wonder if anyone is curious enough to test a few cases during the beta. What affect would zeroes have on your skill? Say I went in, didn't kill, didn't die, yet the team won? :p Would I get anything I wonder?

I fully plan on attempting to break this formula anyway that I can. :D

I can't believe you guys are talking about Drobe` :lol

Spasm

I've always thought of the SIII program as the SII program if it were run by Zapp Brannigan. Pump out soldiers as fast as you can, and file them directly into the alien death cannons, clogging them with wreckage.

Haggis is wretched, but I'm pretty sure the Scots invented shortbread and they continue to supply me with whisky and Irn-Bru, so all is forgiven.

GhaleonEB

Son of Godzilla said:
I'm a few pages behind, but :lol @ ghal's meltdown.
You have a fascinating definition of "meltdown". I'm interested in understanding the Arena system, and there was clearly a great deal of confusion on it in the thread. I'm a visual thinker, so I make a diagram and ask for clarification. That's a "meltdown"? As far as I can tell, eveyone is quite calm.

Stinkles

Louis Wu said:
What the heck?

I thought haggis was 'pluck' (organs) - not 'lamb and beef' (which tends to imply standard meat, not organs).

What is this fake stuff?

They do state that's their "recipe" which makes it easier for Haggis neophytes to consider. Typically it would be sheep offal.

Probably been asked but can you search for custom games now? One of the most disappointing things in Halo 2 AND Halo 3 AND Halo odst is not being able to. Such a silly and stupid decision.

Unless you have a grip of friends on call, you pretty much never see or play custom games. It would be a much, much appreciated thing to implement.

(And no MM or search for firefight at least would be facepalm superfail)

FunkyMunkey said:
Probably been asked but can you search for custom games now? One of the most disappointing things in Halo 2 AND Halo 3 AND Halo odst is not being able to. Such a silly and stupid decision.

Unless you have a grip of friends on call, you pretty much never see or play custom games. It would be a much, much appreciated thing to implement.

Would you really want to end up in a randomers custom game though? Its likely you would just end up in a LOT of frustratingly bad games. Most people who run decent customs would just keep theyre lobby invite only so they only played with friends. Nothing worse than a random racist from Live in your customs.

P.s. HaloGaf has hit a new low, talking about Haggis. At least talk about something like Chicken.

Chicken vs Haggis is the new AR vs BR :lol

Pappasman

FunkyMunkey said:

Searching for custom games has not been announced yet but im going to guess that it won't be in reach.

Edit: beaten.

Walshicus

OuterWorldVoice said:
They do state that's their "recipe" which makes it easier for Haggis neophytes to consider. Typically it would be sheep offal.
Visiting a friend up in Edinburgh I was forced at knife-point [okay, he offered a smidgeon on the end of an unused knife] to try it when we had lunch in the café just outside the castle. Did not like it one bit - far too 'oaty'.

On the other hand the Jelly beans in the attached shop were delicious - all except for the jalepeno flavoured ones...

Oozer3993

Spasm said:
I've always thought of the SIII program as the SII program if it were run by Zapp Brannigan. Pump out soldiers as fast as you can, and file them directly into the alien death cannons, clogging them with wreckage.

Anyone who references Futurama, and specifically Zapp, is awesome in my book.

FunkyMunkey said:

Nope. Only Matchmaking or setting up your own Custom games, same as always, as far as we know.

Kuroyume said:
Questions about Arena...

It's Lone Wolves right? Are there objective games in there too or is it only slayer?

No objective games, only Slayer, both FFA and Team.

GhaleonEB said:
You have a fascinating definition of "meltdown". I'm interested in understanding the Arena system, and there was clearly a great deal of confusion on it in the thread. I'm a visual thinker, so I make a diagram and ask for clarification. That's a "meltdown"? As far as I can tell, eveyone is quite calm.

And you have a fascinating definition of "fascinating."

No but really, multiple pages where every time you posted you included the one line quote about all games affecting Division and how earth-shattering this revelation was. I mean fuck, there's even a "hold on, I'm gonna make a chart" followed by a damn chart. Oh and, of course, the ridiculously straight-forward chart just makes your bewilderment even more confusing.

Anyways I didn't mean anything by it, it was just funny as fuck.

Top Bottom