• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Ajemsuhgao said:
Being able to actually aim with ease while meleeing is wrong? :lol

What? Generally when a melee is about to happen you're already in line by the time you want to execute, on the odd ocassion you're melee-ing someone in the air, again, it's barely an inconvenience to press B after setting the aim, you'd have stopped shooting in a scenario like that anyway.

But at least you can keep your trigger finger ON the trigger just in case. If RB is Melee, you'll always need to get your trigger finger OFF trigger, and in an FPS your trigger finger should rarely if EVER leave the trigger. Let alone all the time like it will need to in Reach.

I fail to see how people can't understand that.

But hey, if there's a layout that gives me Halo 3's mapping, I'm happy.

It just worries me that no one will confirm it.

Toddler

I seem to remember a lot of "WTF" when H3's button placement was first announced and reload was on the shoulder button, even me.

I kinda prefer it now.

Sai-kun

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:
What? Generally when a melee is about to happen you're already in line by the time you want to execute, on the odd ocassion you're melee-ing someone in the air, again, it's barely an inconvenience to press B after setting the aim, you'd have stopped shooting in a scenario like that anyway.

But at least you can keep your trigger finger ON the trigger just in case. If RB is Melee, you'll always need to get your trigger finger OFF trigger, and in an FPS your trigger finger should rarely if EVER leave the trigger. Let alone all the time like it will need to in Reach.

I fail to see how people can't understand that.

But hey, if there's a layout that gives me Halo 3's mapping, I'm happy.

It just worries me that no one will confirm it.

you don't keep two fingers on the bumper/trigger? I use my index finger for the bumper and middle finger for the trigger. Not so much on the left side but pretty much always on the right side.

2 Minutes Turkish said:

Play some Swords and you'll see just how much you need to look around and melee.

2 Minutes Turkish said:

Do you go around, hovering over the B button? No. It takes barely any time to move your finger off to hit the right bumper. Hell, you could probably even just move your finger towards the face of the controller a little bit and hit RB. But you can still have your thumb on the stick.
If you're going to melee, you aren't going to shoot. If you're going to melee, there's a good chance you also might just have to aim as well.

neoism said:
It took me 3 months to get used to it, but I'll never go back ..:lol
me neither. I may try the default setting, but I'm happy to hear officially that the much beloved BJ setting made the cut.

GhaleonEB said:
I thought I was the only one. So many times I accidentally go into scope, then hit the stick to get out of it, only I've been shot so I end up putting myself back in. Repeat a couple times and I'm confused and dead. :lol
I feel like a scared old man whenever that happens to me (which is more often than I'd care to admit). Thank the gods that Bungie's getting older. :lol

Toddler said:
I seem to remember a lot of "WTF" when H3's button placement was first announced and reload was on the shoulder button, even me.

I kinda prefer it now.

No need to make stuff up.

Gears of War had made RB borderline normal by the time Halo 3 came.

And as I've already explained, there's a totally different reason this is wrong. I understand fully that people like alternate layouts like Bumper Jumper (bizarre, but whatever).

But what Bungie is doing here by making this default (and possibly not providing the other option) is taking away a default scheme that the majority of the Halo base has used for 9 years, while keeping the alternates that the minority uses.

I'm not show how that doesn't seem strange to people.

Again, if the normal is provided as an alternate, then that's sweet, but I don't see why no one has confirmed it yet. It's not like it's some super secret that needs to be kept until the Beta given everything else we already know.

Oozer3993

2 Minutes Turkish said:
No need to make stuff up.

Gears of War had made RB borderline normal by the time Halo 3 came.

And as I've already explained, there's a totally different reason this is wrong. I understand fully that people like alternate layouts like Bumper Jumper (bizarre, but whatever).

But what Bungie is doing here by making this default (and possibly not providing the other option) is taking away a default scheme that the majority of the Halo base has used for 9 years, while keeping the alternates that the minority uses.

I'm not show how that doesn't seem strange to people.

Again, if the normal is provided as an alternate, then that's sweet, but I don't see why no one has confirmed it yet. It's not like it's some super secret that needs to be kept until the Beta given everything else we already know.

The decision to put reload on RB for Halo 3 was revealed in the very first deluge of H3 information in fall 06, before Gears of War had taken off so it was very much new at the time.

I'll just skip all control debate and say I'll probably be using default. Haven't really looked what the controls are either. I see LB is jump and A is now reload. Weird but just like Gears I'll probably get used to it. Other than that, I'll wait and see.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
VGChampion said:
I'll just skip all control debate and say I'll probably be using default. Haven't really looked what the controls are either. I see LB is jump and A is now reload. Weird but just like Gears I'll probably get used to it. Other than that, I'll wait and see.

I will skip debating about it as well but I will probably experiment a little and try the different layouts.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Since the other thread has pretty much died with the launch of this one, I figured it would be ok for me to post this here. Here is my entry for the intro to the Bungie Podcast.

Bungie Podcast Intro Entry by Tashi

There it is. At first it was going to be done completely by using sound clips of weapons from Reach. That proved to be insanely difficult. I decided to use a large part of the music from the weapons of Reach and other parts which include 3 recordings of my guitar and also just some standard drums. I wonder if you guys can guess which weapons from Reach are used. I'll be pretty damn impressed anyone can guess all of them.

Urk, I've PM'd you a download link.
the CORRECT one lol
:D

I hope you guys enjoy it!

MrDaravon

I just got an email from Amazon saying September 7th as well. I'm hoping they extend the current $20 credit to the Legendary edition, although now I'm not sure I want to wait for it to show up (UPS usually hits my place around 4PM).

I've always been a Default man (with Inverted on of course), but I've always wanted to try to do Bumper Jumper, but it seems like I might be better off waiting for Reach and just starting fresh on that from the get go with Bumper Jumper and force myself into it that way. I'm thinking it might be easier since the game will control differently from Halo 3 any way, so it might be an easier change to do it that way.

Oozer3993 said:
The decision to put reload on RB for Halo 3 was revealed in the very first deluge of H3 information in fall 06, before Gears of War had taken off so it was very much new at the time.

Still do'nt feel RB for Reload is as drastic a change as RB for melee, for the reasons I've already given.

I'd love to stop whining about this, and it could easily stop if one of the guys just said "Yeah, there's a normal B Melee layout"

But the lack of confirmation tells me it's not there.

Mayyhem

Tashi0106 said:
Since the other thread has pretty much died with the launch of this one, I figured it would be ok for me to post this here. Here is my entry for the intro to the Bungie Podcast.

There it is. At first it was going to be done completely by using sound clips of weapons from Reach. That proved to be insanely difficult. I decided to use a large part of the music from the weapons of Reach and other parts which include 3 recordings of my guitar and also just some standard drums. I wonder if you guys can guess which weapons from Reach are used. I'll be pretty damn impressed anyone can guess all of them.

the CORRECT one lol

That's pretty damn cool man, unique idea too. Guessing the weapons is proving to be difficult :lol

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Still do'nt feel RB for Reload is as drastic a change as RB for melee, for the reasons I've already given.

I'd love to stop whining about this, and it could easily stop if one of the guys just said "Yeah, there's a normal B Melee layout"

And if it isn't? I doubt you're just going to say "WELL THIS GAME SUCKS" and quit. You'll adjust and then completely stop bitching about it, after maybe 3 games into the beta.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Tashi0106 said:

the CORRECT one lol

Good stuff Tashi. I liked it. :D

Ajemsuhgao said:
And if it isn't? I doubt you're just going to say "WELL THIS GAME SUCKS" and quit. You'll adjust and then completely stop bitching about it, after maybe 3 games into the beta.

Not so sure how easy it'll be to adjust.

I've spoken to a couple of friends about the change and they're gutted over it. They can't believe Bungie would make such a drastic change seemingly without even giving the original option.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Not so sure how easy it'll be to adjust.

I've spoken to a couple of friends about the change and they're gutted over it. They can't believe Bungie would make such a drastic change seemingly without even giving the original option.

I know I, and many others, will have little to no problem adjusting to this. I still think you're weird for making such a big deal out of something that I really doubt you'll have a hard time adjusting to.

GhaleonEB

Tashi0106 said:
Hahahha yea. I say it all the time and I'll say it again. REAL MEN PLAY DEFAULT

Anywho, IGN 3 Red Lights Podcast is up. According to the description, they discuss Reach. Hosted by Daemon Hatfield (not really a Halo fan) and includes Hilary Goldstein (gave Halo 3 a 9.5), Charles Onyett (Knows some Halo) and Ryan Geddes (Knows a decent amount of Halo). I wish Erik Brudvig was on the show, he's definitely one of the bigger Halo fans at IGN.

Talk starts from about 2:20 - 20:00

I've only skimmed to get the times, I can't speak to the quality of the conversation.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1085294p1.html
I made it through about five minutes of the show, switching off right when they were explaining how Reach has basically moved to a class-based system and there is no longer a fight for weapons on the map because you can spawn with them; the race for power weapons is ovah.

Sigh.

Edit: and Tashi, that intro you put together is superb. Fantastic stuff.

big ander

Tashi0106 said:

the CORRECT one lol

Nice! Great mash up there.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:
I made it through about five minutes of the show, switching off right when they were explaining how Reach has basically moved to a class-based system and there is no longer a fight for weapons on the map because you can spawn with them; the race for power weapons is ovah.

Sigh.

So shocked at IGN getting the basic gameplay mechanics wrong. :lol

Thanks, you saved me wasting my time listening to any of it.

Awesome job Tashi.

GhaleonEB said:

Sigh.

Not necessarily a bad thing.

It gives the noobs, and the non-freak Halo players a fighting chance against power weapon whores, and the freaks who play non-stop and learn the maps back to front.

Of the 10 or so million Halo 3 owners, I'm betting the majority are in this boat where they don't bother to learn the maps inside out and just want to shoot people.

Kapura

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

Sigh.
Whatwat.jpg

soldat7

Tashi0106 said:

the CORRECT one lol

Sounds good but whoever is sawing wood in the background needs to be edited out.

2 Minutes Turkish said:

It gives the noobs, and the non-freak Halo players a fighting chance against power weapon whores, and the freaks who play non-stop and learn the maps back to front.

Of the 10 or so million Halo 3 owners, I'm betting the majority are in this boat where they don't bother to learn the maps inside out and just want to shoot people.

So now I'm just getting the feeling you're a slow learner period. Wow. That explains a lot.

big ander

2 Minutes Turkish said:

I think the sigh was more at the fact that what they said isn't true. There are still power weapons on the map. You can't choose to spawn with every weapon. There is still a race for power weapons.

GhaleonEB

2 Minutes Turkish said:

My point was, that's not what Reach did. Power weapons are still very much on the map, you cannot spawn with them. Map control and securing power weapons has the same role in Reach as in previous Halo games.

Striker

2 Minutes Turkish said:

Playing Bad Company 2 got me use to the RB button being a melee/knife. But the B-swap grenades is really a throw off. Would be ideal if we could map our own, but meh.

soldat7

Striker said:
Playing Bad Company 2 got me use to the RB button being a melee/knife. But the B-swap grenades is really a throw off. Would be ideal if we could map our own, but meh.

They'll likely have a classic "Halo 3" setup as well. In fact, they'll have several permutations.

Kibbles

GhaleonEB said:

Sigh.

Edit: and Tashi, that intro you put together is superb. Fantastic stuff.
The fuck? Hell, even if they didn't play the game they should know wtf is going on. Wow... that's a new low for ign. I'm not even going to bother with that crap.

soldat7

Kibbles said:
The fuck? Hell, even if they didn't play the game they should know wtf is going on. Wow... that's a new low for ign. I'm not even going to bother with that crap.

I have never, ever found value in any of their podcasts. You'd think that a group the size of IGN could pump out something of quality, but no. Just goes to show how awesome 1UP used to be and still is in many ways.

Tashi0106 said:

the CORRECT one lol

Ooh, I have some competition! Ha just kidding.

That was really great, Tashi. Really cool idea.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
soldat7 said:
Sounds good but whoever is sawing wood in the background needs to be edited out.

:lol :lol :lol Oh my god it does sound like a saw! I actually had some one tell me it sounded like a camera. I'll bet Dax knows what that sound is though lol.

And thanks for the compliments guys. I really appreciate it. I was actually pretty damn nervous about posting it. I don't blame Letters for not wanting to now lol.

Striker

soldat7 said:
They'll likely have a classic "Halo 3" setup as well. In fact, they'll have several permutations.
I'll take the set-up with LB as the AA and RB as grenade swap; sure there'll be lots more options in terms of button configuration this time, or I hope.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Tashi0106 said:
:lol :lol :lol Oh my god it does sound like a saw! I actually had some one tell me it sounded like a camera. I'll bet Dax knows what that sound is though lol.

Rat-a-tat-tat.

EazyB said:
I get a good chuckle at people going back to default. Absolutely nothing to gain from being able to reload while aiming. :lol
I do it all the time. I guess reloading while escaping and maneuvering territory isn't a good idea? :lol

NOKYARD

Tashi0106 said:
:lol :lol :lol Oh my god it does sound like a saw!
I liked it very much, but i didn't hear any saw. I did, however, hear something that sounded like Option B, if you know what i mean…

:lol

GhaleonEB said:
My point was, that's not what Reach did. Power weapons are still very much on the map, you cannot spawn with them. Map control and securing power weapons has the same role in Reach as in previous Halo games.

Oh, it sounded like you were bothered by the fact that 'the battle for power weapons is ovah'.

Ajemsuhgao said:

So now I'm just getting the feeling you're a slow learner period. Wow. That explains a lot.

Yeah ok, whatever helps.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Oh, it sounded like you were bothered by the fact that 'the battle for power weapons is ovah'.

Yeah ok, whatever helps.

You said you'll have a hard time adjusting to the new controls.

You say that you aren't one of the people who play "non-stop", to learn the maps. When any normal person would learn them after playing them a few times.

Seems like you're a slow learner.

This pic is awesome, i had missed it when i was looking at all the new pics. Is it just me or did many websites get one or two exclussive shots?

halo-reach-20100420045456725_640w.jpg

feel

Tashi0106 said:

the CORRECT one lol

awesome! :O
That must've taken forever.

iohu79.jpg

This piece of shit old phone came an app that allowed you to create your own ringtones by mixing and matching different beats and segments that you could choose from a limited library....so, since I had no clue how to use any music creating program, I busted it out and made this (adding the occasional voice on the pc afterwards):

(you might want to turn down the speakers, this could hurt)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc_PXjvNfdQ

KaYotiX

Banned
Are people really complaining over a button layout that they haven't even used yet? I'm sure everyone complaining will be used to it after 2 games and never think of it again.

Pappasman

Letters said:
awesome! :O
That must've taken forever.

iohu79.jpg

This piece of shit old phone came an app that allowed you to create your own ringtones by mixing and matching different beats and segments that you could choose from a limited library....so, since I had no clue how to use any music creating program, I busted it out and made this (adding the occasional voice on the pc afterwards):

(you might want to turn down the speakers, this could hurt)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc_PXjvNfdQ

I love it! :lol its so good.

Ajemsuhgao said:
You said you'll have a hard time adjusting to the new controls.

You say that you aren't one of the people who play "non-stop", to learn the maps. When any normal person would learn them after playing them a few times.

Seems like you're a slow learner.

Sorry if you took my wording too literally.

I know maps, I play Halo enough to know what's what, and where most weapons are, overshields etc.

But there are those who know every single nook, cranny, glitch in geometry etc. It's those people I was referring to when I said I don't play 'non-stop'.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Sorry if you took my wording too literally.

I know maps, I play Halo enough to know what's what, and where most weapons are, overshields etc.

But there are those who know every single nook, cranny, glitch in geometry etc. It's those people I was referring to when I said I don't play 'non-stop'.

You were talking about power weapons, and people just wanting to shoot things. People learning every inch of a map has nothing to do with that.

Top Bottom