• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Ramirez

Tashi0106 said:
Wow, I didn't know there were this many Bumper Jumper guys here lol. Where are my default guys at?? :lol

I'm still here, it's amazing that all of these dudes latch on to BJ as if it makes them better players. ;) :p

RdN

Letters said:
awesome! :O
That must've taken forever.

iohu79.jpg

This piece of shit old phone came an app that allowed you to create your own ringtones by mixing and matching different beats and segments that you could choose from a limited library....so, since I had no clue how to use any music creating program, I busted it out and made this (adding the occasional voice on the pc afterwards):

(you might want to turn down the speakers, this could hurt)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc_PXjvNfdQ

:lol :lol :lol Very good.
My old Sony Ericsson cellphone had this app too.. it's fun!

vhfive

I come back to 2 pages of shit (seriously 2 fucking pages you have to argue, we get it u mad. let it go) only to be pleasantly surprise at the end with letter's and tashi's submissions.

some thoughts
tashi- add br bursts to counteract the sawing because brs are infinitely better than saws
letters- don't distort the voice so much. I have no fucking clue what is being said:lol

feel

vhfive said:
letters- don't distort the voice so much I have no fucking clue what is being said:lol
On purpose.
It was much clearer before I turned it up a notch to do a bit of parody on the lyrics of some house/electro (or whatever) songs I sometimes hear. :lol

It says:

"prepare your aural senses"

"it's time for"

"bungie podcast" a ton of times

"with brian, luke and eric"

I don't plan on submitting it, just made it for fun, won't bother wasting more time editing it.

Still, thanks for giving it a listen guys. :)

GhaleonEB

Probably late night dementia, but I was looking at the high-res version of the shot of Overlook, and I noticed this:

2rw55dd.jpg

Is it me, or does that look like a turret? Placed on a ledge overlooking (haha) the downhill slope, on a tripod. No mention of them in any of the write ups I've read, or on b.net, so probably not. But it made my heart go pitter pat.

GhaleonEB said:
Probably late night dementia, but I was looking at the high-res version of the shot of Overlook, and I noticed this:

2rw55dd.jpg

Is it me, or does that look like a turret? Placed on a ledge overlooking (haha) the downhill slope, on a tripod. No mention of them in any of the write ups I've read, or on b.net, so probably not. But it made my heart go pitter pat.

Does look a lot like one.

So..My take on the podcast song is coming along. Kinda. Maybe Ill have something to show. :lol

GhaleonEB said:

[PIC OF TURRET?]

I was wondering the same thing when I saw that. Unfortunately, I guess that means that support weapons are definitely out. I wonder if it will have a cool down like the warthog turret.

vhfive said:
I come back to 2 pages of shit (seriously 2 fucking pages you have to argue, we get it u mad. let it go) only to be pleasantly surprise at the end with letter's and tashi's submissions.

some thoughts
tashi- add br bursts to counteract the sawing because brs are infinitely better than saws
letters- don't distort the voice so much. I have no fucking clue what is being said:lol
Agreed on both counts. I thought both were both creative and hilarious, though.
Tashi - Too much AR. Not enough deemer. Unless it's supposed to be the "Shishka Matchmaking Remix."
Letters - I knew exactly what you were trying to do with the house voice, and I lol'd. The only thing I could understand was the roll call at the end.

I wouldn't get worked up over the turret, it's probably the exact same as the halo 3 turret, but when carrying it, it stops the user from using his abilities, which would be a large enough tradeoff in my books.

Mayyhem

les papillons sexuels said:
I wouldn't get worked up over the turret, it's probably the exact same as the halo 3 turret, but when carrying it, it stops the user from using his abilities, which would be a large enough tradeoff in my books.
It'd be cool if they made it only stationary and a bit stronger.

vhfive

GhaleonEB said:

I thought this was obvious. It is, of course the camera for theater mode. Due to time restraints Bungie had to cut some resources from Reach but they didn't want to completely remove any features. So for theater mode there is only a fixed camera (shown in picture) that you can view past games from. I can envision getting many multi-kills while people huddle together for a group screenshot.

definitely looks like a turret

Demoncarnotaur said:
So..My take on the podcast song is coming along. Kinda. Maybe Ill have something to show. :lol

I was wondering the same thing when I saw that. Unfortunately, I guess that means that support weapons are definitely out. I wonder if it will have a cool down like the warthog turret.
What? Valhalla had both a turret and support weapons...

Mush

Even though I'm an below average Halo player, I'm still pretty hyped for this. Got some buddies who are actually pretty decent to help get me through! :lol I haven't kept up with Reach apart from the first Vidoc and I'm not a regular reader of HaloGAF so what would be the best place to get up to speed on the Beta?

Apologies in advance!

Mush said:
Even though I'm an below average Halo player, I'm still pretty hyped for this. Got some buddies who are actually pretty decent to help get me through! :lol I haven't kept up with Reach apart from the first Vidoc and I'm not a regular reader of HaloGAF so what would be the best place to get up to speed on the Beta?

Apologies in advance!

..the OP of this thread? It has pretty much everything you need to know.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
GhaleonEB said:
No mention of them in any of the write ups I've read, or on b.net, so probably not. But it made my heart go pitter pat.

Looks like a turret to me.

remz

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Please tell me Melee on RB is some sort of temporary experiement? and one of the control layouts is more traditional??

Pretty please?
I imagine a classic halo set up will be available

i love melee on RB though, it's how I have it in halo3 anyway

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ramirez said:
I'm still here, it's amazing that all of these dudes latch on to BJ as if it makes them better players. ;) :p

:lol True, and if you ask me, it seems as though the best HaloGAF players play Default. It might be time to switch back n00bs :p

EazyB

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
:lol True, and if you ask me, it seems as though the best HaloGAF players play Default. It might be time to switch back n00bs :p
It's God's way of regulating how good a player can be. The thought of you + the bump jump scares the shit out of me.

godhandiscen said:
Is he right about the "headshotted" word? It sounds weird. I would like it better if they were icons instead of phrases.
I can't think of any other way you could vocalize the act of getting a headshot on someone. Obviously it isn't headshooted.:D

Nutter

Tashi0106 said:
Leave them be, that is the only way they get to keep up with the Best [aka getting a kill here and there], other wise they would get demolished. :p

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Tashi0106 said:

I switched back even though I am not awesome. The road to recovery was way easier than I thought it'd be. I think it took me more than two weeks to initially imprint Bumper Jumper into my memory. The move back took about ten games, give or take (though I still blame all of my losses on the switch).

I haven't even tried Bumper Jumper. I'm sure it's harder than the switch from H2 to H3 to H2 to H3 again :lol which I already had enough trouble with.

The extrapolation of "Headshot" would be "Headshot," as in "I headshot him" instead of "I shot him."

But that sounds dumb. "X shot Y in the head." sounds dumb, too. Headshotted sounds better even if it's wrong.

stephen08

When I switched to Bumper Jumper it took about 2 days to get fully acclimated. The control scheme for Reach sounds perfect to me, except for maybe jet packing.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
InvincibleAgent said:
I haven't even tried Bumper Jumper. I'm sure it's harder than the switch from H2 to H3 to H2 to H3 again :lol which I already had enough trouble with.

Pretty brutal. Nothing is less awesome than circling the enemy base in your Banshee with dreams of death dealing only to hit the wrong button, eject, and deliver the damn thing to the opposition without even firing a shot.

"What happened? Did they jack our Banshee?"

Ugh. Hmm.

Magni

Not a question for the beta, since Customs won't be officially available
glitch like last time? :D
, but will there be an option to have undestructible vehicles in the full game?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
urk said:
Pretty brutal. Nothing is less awesome than circling the enemy base in your Banshee with dreams of death dealing only to hit the wrong button, eject, and deliver the damn thing to the opposition without even firing a shot.

Ugh. Hmm.

Wait, you didn't mess around in Forge or whatever to nail down the superior controls before hitting MM?

After using Halo 2's controls, I was going around reloading in people's faces like some kind of uber confident mutha instead of giving folks a well deserved melee. It took three games to create Bumper Jumper, it's just right, IMO. Default FTL.

Switching control schemes is just messy, it's better sticking to one choice.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Switching to BJ was made easy when playing Crow's Nest on Heroic.

Nothing like having 50 Brutes beat the control scheme into you.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Beta sounds fantastic. So excited for may 3th.
The invasion mode in particular sounds interesting, but 6vs6 in a map bigger than sandtrap.?_? kinda wish it was 8vs8 or they increased the max player count to 20, specifically for that mode / map.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Lafiel said:
Beta sounds fantastic. So excited for may 3th.
The invasion mode in particular sounds interesting, but 6vs6 in a map bigger than sandtrap.?_? kinda wish it was 8vs8 or they increased the max player count to 20, specifically for that mode / map.

Works really well. The entire map isn't opened up straight away. I'll 'splain it better on Friday.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I actually have dabbled with Bumper Jumper way back when it was first getting popular. I wasn't crazy about it. Sometimes in MLG though I'll get bored and change control schemes and sensitivities on the fly between deaths. Instead of reacting instinctively to the game and your surrounds you're actively thinking about which buttons to hit. Usually I end up hitting the wrong button and just try to deal with it in the middle of a fight :lol Green thumb is crazy. B to zoom in?? Fuuuuck that lol.

Brainboy

urk said:

Ugh. Hmm.

It's much easier than you think once you remember that your left index finger (i.e. left trigger and left bumper) is used for manoeuvring (boost and flips), while your right index finger (i.e. right trigger and right bumper) is used for firing the weapons.

Feel free to adjust the above rule if you're one of those weird people that puts their middle fingers on the triggers. :lol

Top Bottom