• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
New mongoose?

You can see your speed and the game records your speed as your pass by checkpoints? Cool.

vlcsnap-2010-04-22-10h44m44s122.png

vlcsnap-2010-04-22-10h44m50s182.png

vlcsnap-2010-04-22-10h44m55s234.png

broony

So do you think the Covenent map is just a tease for the retail release, a DLC beta test, a reason to blame stosh or will be in from the start of the beta as a suprise?

The detail, the-fuckin'-detail.

Woah. Blown away.

Assassinations are incredible.

And that jetpack-death animation? IT'S UNBELIEVABLE.

This ViDoc rocks hard.

Do I sound like a 12-year-old-super-hyped-idiot?

Yeah, it's THAT good. :lol

EazyB

Banned
You thought simultaneous beatdowns were awesome. Check out Reach's simultaneous shoot-downs!

6putug.jpg

Anyways, besides that things look awesome. A few more things before I got to bed:

Seems to me it rewards an opportunist medal when you kill someone who's reloading:
29ojsb5.jpg

Here's the loadouts for covie slayer:
okbe5y.jpg

God I hope that's in arena for the final game. Elite vs elite looks awesome. Fast, no health packs, and this video's won me over on evade. That dude quickly rolling up the stairs? Awesome.

Here's a screen of someone's arena rank:
2hdpedv.jpg

I remember some asking about the number on the ranking symbol from the Bnet preview. Seems it just indicates what level you are in that division. 4 seems to be the top 1% for example.

Striker

Covenant map looks excellent. I sincerely hope there's multiple of those in the final game.

Looks like tons more options for our Spartan model as well. Can't wait.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I hope the Opportunist medal:

a) stays the way it is regardless of whether Walmart gets mad

and

b) is a medal you get for stealing someone's kill. :lol

Raide

Just wanted the Vidoc....hollllly shi! Hype train ahoy!

The best part for me was looking at Luke's eyes when he talked about Armour Lock. You can tell he absolutely loves it.:lol

Whoa. Lot's of pages. Ha.
OuterWorldVoice said:
I

a) Switch grenades a LOT strategically. I mean, all the time.
b) Think of LB as a prime position.
Same on both accounts.
Tashi0106 said:
:lol :lol :lol Oh my god it does sound like a saw! I actually had some one tell me it sounded like a camera. I'll bet Dax knows what that sound is though lol.
wat

Downloading the new ViDoc now. Thanks, Urk!

MagniHarvald said:
Killing someone who is reloading IIRC.
This is correct.

Magni

Domino Theory said:
I hope the Opportunist medal:

a) stays the way it is regardless of whether Walmart gets mad

and

b) is a medal you get for stealing someone's kill. :lol

Killing someone who is reloading IIRC.

Voltron64

EazyB said:
You thought simultaneous beatdowns were awesome. Check out Reach's simultaneous shoot-downs!

http://i42.tinypic.com/6putug.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
As my hype meter starts going off the charts EazyB always points out things to keep it in check. :lol

Ten-Song

Just a quick observation, but do the medals for multiplayer feats really need to look all dirty and grimy now? I know the game is going for a grittier tone, but come on...

EazyB

Banned
Voltron64 said:
As my hype meter starts going off the charts EazyB always points out things to keep it in check. :lol
:p

I just know they mentioned making it less obvious to a player with a bad connection and I was worried it would something like simultaneous beatdowns but with guns. DMR vs DMR is two hitscan weapons with no delay, I can't imagine an instance where the host would give kills to both players unless there was a small delay to "even out" host advantage and such. Just something to keep an eye on and see if it crops up in the beta.

I really hate the simultaneous kills in Bad Company 2 but it's somewhat understandable there because none of the weapons are hitscan.

Shake Appeal said:
Pooh-pooh, these happened in Halo 3 as well.
But the BR isn't hitscan and if it does happen in Halo 3 it must be extraordinarily rare because I don't recall anything like that BR vs BR.

One possible benefit from it would be all those instances where your machine says you've shot the rocket but the host says you died before and it never leaves the gun. If the game had a bit of a period where the host marks you as dead but still lets the rocket leave the chamber it'd be kinda neat. Not sure it's worth it though and it could definitely lead to instances where you back into theater and see the dead dude shooting rockets at you. :lol

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I love how the silhouette of the Amour Ability increases in size, taking up a small portion of the lower corner to inform you that your ability is just about to run out.

Pleasure in the smaller details.

Apath

That video was amazing. Looks Bungie is going for an even bigger jump than Halo 2 -> 3 for Reach.

And I don't mean graphics wise.

remz

Dani said:
I love how the silhouette of the Amour Ability increases in size, taking up a small portion of the lower corner to inform you that your ability is just about to run out.

Pleasure in the smaller details.
The way the crosshairs are showing recoil impressed me!

EazyB said:
But the BR isn't hitscan and if it does happen in Halo 3 it must be extraordinarily rare because I don't recall anything like that BR vs BR.
Come to Europe, I will show you extraordinary things.

broony

In Arena can you get promoted to another division during the season? They way I am reading it from the UI screen is that you have three games to make you division, then you are in that division for the rest of the month.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
ooooo.png

Take a look at the bottom of the image of the Purple Map compared to the other beta maps, the build code ID is different, it's noted as WIP (Work in Progress) instead of Beta.

We've been officially teased. This looks like our first look at a non-Beta map?

Also, I think is an unofficial (official?) confirmation that we'll be seeing the insides of Covie ship during Campaign.

Somebody hold me.

Ten-Song

Just finished watching it now, and again, I really love what they're doing with armor permutations, and hope that it's really blown up big time for the full release with a shit ton of different unlocks. Kind of a pointless thing, but I love shit like that in multiplayer games, and having it carry over to the campaign is equally awesome.

Thermite

I'm still a little confused on some aspects of the Arena. How exactly does going up and down in Divisional Ranks work? For example, let's say I'm doing the best I've ever done in a Halo game on a Monday. The system takes the three best games that I had for that day, and then assigns me to a division. Now, am I stuck here or does it repeat the process over again on Tuesday to determine if I'm better or worse than the division I was assigned to and then make the appropriate changes?

Natakuu

Banned
Ten-Song said:
Just finished watching it now, and again, I really love what they're doing with armor permutations, and hope that it's really blown up big time for the full release with a shit ton of different unlocks. Kind of a pointless thing, but I love shit like that in multiplayer games, and having it carry over to the campaign is equally awesome.
I definitely agree with this, I hope there's a ton of armor perms in the retail game, including ones that take a giant amount of credits to unlock. I also hope they have the ability to add in armor perms with time unlike Halo 3, though I don't know if that's feasible or not.

Dani said:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b177/iamnotevilness/ooooo.png[/IMG

Take a look at the bottom of the image of the Purple Map compared to the other beta maps, the build code ID is different, it's noted as WIP (Work in Progress) instead of Beta.

Also, I think is an unofficial (official?) confirmation that we'll be seeing the insides of Covie ship during Campaign.

Somebody hold me.[/QUOTE]
We haven't seen inside a Covenant ship since Halo 1. It's about time we revisit one.

Just finished the ViDoc. AWESOME. The DMR and the Nerfle look so fucking sweet. Delicious.

Magni

Natakuu said:
I definitely agree with this, I hope there's a ton of armor perms in the retail game, including ones that take a giant amount of credits to unlock. I also hope they have the ability to add in armor perms with time unlike Halo 3, though I don't know if that's feasible or not.

As long as those don't cost MSP...

broony

Dani said:

Somebody hold me.

Thats what I thought when I saw it. I can't see them doing the whole game on the planet's surface, there must be a orbital sabotage mission at some point.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Natakuu said:

Luke's already confirmed there will be a ton more in the final game in addition to having more body areas to customise with more armour unlocks.

Also, the system looks like it's designed to be very flexible, post-release additional permutations certainly look like they'd be easy to implement.

Dax01 said:
We haven't seen inside a Covenant ship since Halo 1. It's about time we revisit one.

High Charity counts as a ship? Midship/Heretic says hello! =p

Magni

Dani said:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b177/iamnotevilness/ooooo.png[IMG]

Also, I think is an unofficial (official?) confirmation that [B]we'll be seeing the insides of Covie ship during Campaign.[/B]

Somebody hold me.[/QUOTE]

and blowing one up in Invasion.. :D

chapel

Banned
LukeSmith said:
Yeah, no.

LT Grenades
LB Jump
RB Melee
RT Guns
X Armor Ability
Y Swap Weapons
B Action/Reload
A Switch Grenades
A little late in response, but fuck yeah! Luke to the rescue.

I knew bungie wouldn't fuck up BJ. I am happy now. Happy happy happy.

The funny thing about using BJ is that it didn't take long to learn it, but after getting used to it, I just don't see using anything else on the same level. It isn't about it making me a better player (I suck) but just what I prefer to play with.

Hey you guys: Check out Waypoint now. And I mean RIGHT NOW. They've announced the Reach SKU with details of each edition and pictures.

So nice. Definitely buying the Legendary Edition.

Statue looks really cool.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Thermite said:
I'm still a little confused on some aspects of the Arena. How exactly does going up and down in Divisional Ranks work? For example, let's say I'm doing the best I've ever done in a Halo game on a Monday. The system takes the three best games that I had for that day, and then assigns me to a division. Now, am I stuck here or does it repeat the process over again on Tuesday to determine if I'm better or worse than the division I was assigned to and then make the appropriate changes?
For the beta, you need to play at least three ranked games to get your Daily. Three Dailies in a season will earn you a spot in a Division. Your Daily Rating can go up, since it's just an average of your three best games that day, but once you've been placed into a Division, the only way you'll move is via a population shift (i.e. A bunch of players place higher/lower than you after you are placed).

BumperJumper is absolutely the best. I took me forever to switch, but once I did there is just no going back. Made trying to play Halo 2 pretty hilarious though.

Ten-Song

Natakuu said:

Either way, as long as the security helmet comes back, I'll be fine. Though more armor permutations would be great as DLC.

Also this brings up another question, will Elites have permutations that can be unlocked, or are they always stuck in the default combat armor?

Dani said:

Somebody hold me.
*holds*

We've theorised since the launch trailer, awesome to have a good strong indication.

Dax01: For those of us at work: the details!

Raide

Just a quick question. When it comes to reloading, if I tap reload and then Evade, does it reset the reload or does it carry on through the evade, so I come out ready to rock again? :lol

Raide said:
Just a quick question. When it comes to reloading, if I tap reload and then Evade, does it reset the reload or does it carry on through the evade, so I come out ready to rock again? :lol

Your character drops his gun in the middle of the evade, kicking it away clumsily. You have to pick it up again or find a new gun.

Nutter

urk said:
For the beta, you need to play at least three ranked games to get your Daily. Three Dailies in a season will earn you a spot in a Division. Your Daily Rating can go up, since it's just an average of your three best games that day, but once you've been placed into a Division, the only way you'll move is via a population shift (i.e. A bunch of players place higher/lower than you after you are placed).
So lets say I get placed in Silver, after the first 5 days of playing. Am I going to have any chance of improving that to lets say Gold within the next 25 days left in the "season" before we all start over again, or would I be stuck in Silver until next month/season? Just trying to clarify things :p

broony

urk said:

So if people wanted to be dicks, they could play as shit as possible for three days, then spend the rest of the month pwnning teh newbz to make themselves feel like they are pro?

Dax01 said:
Hey you guys: Check out Waypoint now. And I mean RIGHT NOW. They've announced the Reach SKU with details of each edition and pictures.

So nice. Definitely buying the Legendary Edition.

Statue looks really cool.

Wat.

Nothing on the official site, I'm at work and I can't check on xboxlive.

God, this final pre-beta days rush is killing me xD

Magni

Zeouterlimits said:
*holds*

We've theorised since the launch trailer, awesome to have a good strong indication.

Dax01: For those of us at work: the details!

No pricing info yet, just pics. I'm gonna let Dax type it up for you, I've got two midterms in less than two hours and the vidoc's taken too much time from my "study" schedule ><

Ten-Song

Just looked at the SKU's. $150 seems a little insane. Also, no behind the scenes DVD in any of the SKUs? At least the collectors edition one answers my question about Elites getting armor permutations.

Not really digging the statue for the legendary edition though.

Top Bottom