• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Off Screen Images

Tenks

LunaticPuma said:
Why are there 4 names/stats listed next to the radar? I'm assuming it wouldn't list your own health/stats 2x on the HUD. 5 player co-op confirmed?

That was Tom Morello's hp

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Net_Wrecker said:
halo-reach.jpg

5 spartans?

Good point. 5 player online co-op? Or helper bots?

FrankT

J-Rzez said:
Maybe, those shots are not the best to judge by though. Even if they would use the same engine, hopefully they refined the hell out of it. If they can get it to be rock steady, then it wouldn't really be too bad. Wish there was a company out there that would really push the box though. I think the 360 has a bit more potential left in it, but at this rate I'm not sure we'll ever see it.

They've already made it pretty clear it's a new engine.

Strider2K99 said:
God, I really hope Reach adds a sprint button.

I would say this confirms it;

Right above the radar shows what perks you are carrying. When I played there were 3 perks-sprinting, cloaking, and halogram.

LunaticPuma said:
Good point. 5 player online co-op? Or helper bots?

Probably both. And up to 5 players in a returning Firefight mode with matchmaking added into it?

Halo Reach also on 2 discs?

omg so hyped:lol

Lt Thunderpants

Neo Member
Looks like tom-MORE-llo of the same damn thing to me. That's what I wanted... more Halo.

I was honestly disappointed with ODST as it could have been more of a departure. Looks like Bungie's comfortable with sticking to their guns, no pun intended, and keeping Halo basically the same throughout.

Let's leave changes to companies like former Ensemble. Loved Halo Wars, by the way.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Firestorm said:
What the fuck Vinterbird. How about spoiler tagging that?
The book came out eight fucking years ago. Anyone with any interest in Halo has at least heard a synopsis.

Beowulf28

I thought Halo Reach was supposed to use a new engine? Not saying those screens look bad but the Halo 3 engine is starting to show its age.

GhaleonEB

Firestorm said:
What the fuck Vinterbird. How about spoiler tagging that?
What he just posted is summarized in even greater detail the Halo: Combat Evolved Xbox instruction manual from 2001 and is the entire premise of the Reach game. The tagline in the PR is "Reach Falls 2010".

Orlics

J-Rzez said:
Maybe, those shots are not the best to judge by though. Even if they would use the same engine, hopefully they refined the hell out of it. If they can get it to be rock steady, then it wouldn't really be too bad. Wish there was a company out there that would really push the box though. I think the 360 has a bit more potential left in it, but at this rate I'm not sure we'll ever see it.

Actually it had a far greater impact overall than Crysis does. It, in itself, really allowed FPS to take off on consoles. Halo did do some neat things as well, but it's impact on the industry overall is infinitely greater than whatever Crysis did, which was just established a benchmark for visuals on PC.

Weren't you a huge Halo hater back in the day? I might be remembering wrong.

J-Rzez

Jtyettis said:
They've already made it pretty clear it's a new engine.

Is it? Cool, can't wait to see it in quality footage then, and see what they got out of it. For me, who doesn't really care about Halo's MP anymore, I'd love to see an incredibly fleshed out story in this. The Halo universe DOES have an interesting and rich story to it, just it's never been really conveyed properly in game form.

Orlics said:
Weren't you a huge Halo hater back in the day? I might be remembering wrong.

I loved the first Halo. I spent countless hours of lan parties with it, hell, I won at a tourney in Philly (not MS or Bungie sponsored unfortunately). H2 disappointed me a bit, specifically the SP. And the 3rd was a massive let down to me. While it WAS a gold standard for consoles last gen with FPS, this gen it didn't evolve properly. Sometimes Same-ol-Same-ol is a good thing, but other games took it's formula and improved on it, making it feel antiquated to me. That's all. I think I was far more let down by the dwindling SP campaign more than anything, along with expecting far greater performance from online this gen.

Amir0x

Banned
I just hope Halo Reach looks much better than Halo 3/ODST. It is one of the best selling console franchises around, and they look like they put virtually no effort into the graphics engine. When I see franchises like Uncharted which sold like shit and then come out with a sequel which improves on every last aspect ever and blows away the competition visually, it makes me want to see other franchises do the same. Some fucking effort.

If Reach doesn't offer a substantial improvement, I might skip my first HALO game. Can't tell much of anything from these screens though.

FrankT

J-Rzez said:
Is it? Cool, can't wait to see it in quality footage then, and see what they got out of it. For me, who doesn't really care about Halo's MP anymore, I'd love to see an incredibly fleshed out story in this. The Halo universe DOES have an interesting and rich story to it, just it's never been really conveyed properly in game form.

Popeck said:
Brian Jarrard (once again) confirms in GTTV Bonus Round's Pax Panel that Bungie is building brand new technology for Halo: Reach.

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/bonusround/308?ch=2

godhandiscen said:
I am pretty sure this is alpha, but if Halo Reach is not an incremental step in visual quality from Halo 3, I know I will die a little. I am not asking for KZ2 or U2 graphics, I could do just fine with Halo 3 level of detail as long as it has at least some AA and better AF.

That and at least 720p and I will be pleased (well it could do with some upgraded textures all around as well). Oh and gots to have Chief. :D

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
There are no words. That...wow. That looks... fucking amazing, and it appears to be only Alpha screens.

Everything is so.. different. And perks? :O

WJD

Could really do with a Bungie man to confirm or deny this really.

That being said, they look quite nice, whoever did them.

Shambles

TOM MORELLO TOM MORELLO TOM MORELLO TOM MORELLO TOM MORELLO TOM MORELLO
TOM MORELLO TOM MORELLO TOM MORELLO TOM MORELLO TOM MORELLO

I know, my F5 skills are weak

Kibbles

Well I can see why they didn't show any screens or vids of it yet. The last pic shows a lot more weapon detail though.

Majmun

Amir0x said:
I just hope Halo Reach looks much better than Halo 3/ODST. It is one of the best selling console franchises around, and they look like they put virtually no effort into the graphics engine. When I see franchises like Uncharted which sold like shit and then come out with a sequel which improves on every last aspect ever and blows away the competition visually, it makes me want to see other franchises do the same. Some fucking effort.

If Reach doesn't offer a substantial improvement, I might skip my first HALO game. Can't tell much of anything from these screens though.

Well, Uncharted didn't sell like shit. But I get your point.

Arhal_Katarn

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Oh yea baby, i love halo and these shots have got me pretty hyped. It's been confirmed its a new engine so i can't wait to see better images.

Sprint Button Fuck Yea
Perks Fuck Yea

Mr Jared

I would actually be fine with Halo 3 quality graphics with Reach (Bungie's artists really get the most out of whatever they get), but only if they go nuts with the war environment. I mean absolutely nuts. Put the whole "theater of war" stuff to shame :lol

The weapons alone got me hype.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Amir0x said:

We don't exactly know what the deal was with Halo 3's development. If I got all of the features of Halo 3 at the cost of graphics, I'm MORE than happy with that. I'll be fine with it if the same goes for Reach. Also, it's not like Halo 3 has shitty graphics by today's standards. But I'm not saying there aren't better looking games out there.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
hope Bungie gets competitive with their visuals, because they've really got that shooty bang bang stuff down to a science at this point, it's the only real part of the Halo 3 package that was lacking

Wizman23

Banned
LMAO at you fucking Halo trolls saying the game looks like shit using crappy cell phone pics from a game that is a year away.

four-two

Banned
Kibbles said:
Well I can see why they didn't show any screens or vids of it yet.

Of course, the game is still on Alpha, everybody remember how Motorstorm 2 and Killzone 2 evolved in the different version, at same time even on alpha state is looking like there using again the Halo 3 engine.

Amir0x

Banned
Second said:
Well, Uncharted didn't sell like shit. But I get your point.

The best you could call the way Uncharted sold was "mediocre", so we're playing at semantics. They put millions of dollars into making it, they advertised it with commercials, and they squeezed a couple hundred thou out of its first few months at best.

Halo, by contrast, sells fifteen billion copies every millisecond and yet ODST was such a low rent effort visually that it felt as if the commercial for the game had higher production values.

I don't even think it looks like a good game period. I applaud its use of color, in contrast to many FPS, but it has abysmal character models, extremely low geometry compared to other games in the genre on the platform. It'd make sense if they lowered that detail for multiplayer, it perplexes me that it looks so bad EVEN in single player. I don't mean to be nitpicky, but the fucking wheels on the vehicles in the early level of ODST isn't even round. It's like a hectagon or some shit.

J-Rzez

Amir0x said:

This is exactly my feelings on it. For the incredible success that the game is, for it being a landmark franchise, and for the genre it's in, I expected a far greater experience from it. H3 didn't set any graphical standards when it launched, and it's online didn't do nearly as much as I expected it to.

I feel the same way with MW2. When I play it, my expectations are tremendous for it. So far I'm not really expecting much. I mean, how could they NOT have an important community feature for the hardcore community out there. Just slapping some letters as a clan tag is pure fail for example.

kylej

Banned
Amir0x said:
The best you could call the way Uncharted sold was "mediocre", so we're playing at semantics. They put millions of dollars into making it, they advertised it with commercials, and they squeezed a couple hundred thou out of its first few months at best.

Halo, by contrast, sells fifteen billion copies every millisecond and yet ODST was such a low rent effort visually that it felt as if the commercial for the game had higher production values.

I don't even think it looks like a good game period. I applaud its use of color, in contrast to many FPS, but it has abysmal character models, extremely low geometry compared to other games in the genre on the platform. It'd make sense if they lowered that detail for multiplayer, it perplexes me that it looks so bad EVEN in single player. I don't mean to be nitpicky, but the fucking wheels on the vehicles in the early level of ODST isn't even round. It's like a hectagon or some shit.

Old engine doesn't look good when compared to modern games. Congrats, you figured it out.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Perks eh?

Looks like Bungie has had some of Infinity Ward's influence rub off on them.

Call of Halo: Modern Warfare confirmed. Looking forward to it.

Keikoku

Banned
J-Rzez said:
This is exactly my feelings on it. For the incredible success that the game is, for it being a landmark franchise, and for the genre it's in, I expected a far greater experience from it. H3 didn't set any graphical standards when it launched, and it's online didn't do nearly as much as I expected it to.

Yes it did.

Top Bottom