• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Dani said:
We always do DMR starts unless it's gameplay specificly not needed. =)
Eh, perhaps I am being to judgemental...

Last time we played we were on some massive map and the guy in the party (map maker) INSISTED that it was AR start Slayer. Since "that's how it will be played in MM".

Dug said:
[respect knuckles]
zfeWM.gif

It took me way too long to find this gif, goddamn.

And I'm a fan of AR starts, but not on huge maps.

GhaleonEB

I can't freaking believe how glitchy Forge is. I spent two weeks getting a new version of my map ready for customs, then spent half an hour of critical last minute changes to spawns and other areas before customs. None of the last minute changes held, despite showing up in a custom game my daughter and I played. The map reverted to the old version when I pulled everyone in. I have no idea how or why that's even possible, but it isn't the first time; same thing happened to Crossroads twice.

I'm incredibly frustrated as I wanted to test it out.

Sorry about that guys. At least my map wasn't deleted again. :\

KevinRo

Gui_PT said:
Eh, wasn't even trying.

Shitty maps + shitty loadouts + shitty spawns = not in the mood to actually try

geeez. calm down people it's just some poking being done. vhfive would've taken it in stride.

GhaleonEB said:
I can't freaking believe how glitchy Forge is. I spent two weeks getting a new version of my map ready for customs, then spent half an hour of critical last minute changes to spawns and other areas before customs. None of the last minute changes held, despite showing up in a custom game my daughter and I played. The map reverted to the old version when I pulled everyone in. I have no idea how or why that's even possible, but it isn't the first time; same thing happened to Crossroads twice.

I know what that's like. I spent an hour aligning up the mancannons on an early version of Testament, so players would make a nice clean landing where I wanted them to. When ForgeGAF played the map, the mancannons functioned even worse than before.

GhaleonEB said:

I love some of the maps/stuff people have made in Forge... But when I read stuff like this (and when your map was deleted entirely) it reaffirms my belief that Forge simply isn't worth my time. It is a great concept, but clearly it is still critically flawed in design.

Hope you can fix your map up, Ghal.

Sorry for quitting out so early- I wasn't really feeling it tonight.. In other words: I was doing horrible, didn't want to stay there and bring blue team down any longer. Ugh.

Btw, Plywood, you're Xenolock on XBL right? You're good, I'm pretty sure most of my deaths were from you tonight. Haha

Red team all around did great.

O D I N

Good games tonight. :) I look forward to more.

Also, mad props to Gannon Smash. Mostly on the name (I was a Ganondorf player when I played SSBM competitively). Also, you're good. ;)

GhaleonEB said:
In Your Base / Stealing Your Flags is the new Ghostbusters.

I love this map SO much. <3

blamite

Good games tonight guys! Even the maps that didn't quite work right were pretty fun.
O D I N said:
Also, mad props to Gannon Smash. Mostly on the name (I was a Ganondorf player when I played SSBM competitively). Also, you're good. ;)
Heh, thanks, that's how I came up with the name, although I never played competitively.

Oh, and thanks to the 7 people who stayed around to play on my map at the end (Culverin). I've been working on that for a while, what'd you guys think?

Tawpgun

blamite said:
Good games tonight guys! Even the maps that didn't quite work right were pretty fun.Heh, thanks, that's how I came up with the name, although I never played competitively.

Oh, and thanks to the 7 people who stayed around to play on my map at the end (Culverin). I've been working on that for a while, what'd you guys think?

To be honest, I didn't like it too much. Not a fan of that center structure, and it looks jetpack dominant.

MrBig

What did those who played watershed think of the map? It's made for 4v4, so 13 players was a bit much and led to some spawns being overwhelmed but it seemed to play out nicely in the film.

GhaleonEB

The lesson I learned tonight is get on early, because the new swath of jr's will take my place if I don't. :lol

It was good to see a full party and new faces; we'll have to get some more BTB maps to accommodate. I'll have my new map polished up and actually working for customs next week. Gonna finish the first diagram of map #3 tonight and start building it out during the week.

Sorry I missed most of customs, but the new batch of caramel corn was worth it.

It came out perfect. It is crunchy and delicious.

(1 1/2 C brown sugar, 3 Tbs butter, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 Tbs corn syrup, 1/4 C water; cook to 275 degrees, add 1/8 tsp baking soda and 1 C peanuts, pour over and stir to coat 8 quarts popcorn, spread out on pan to cool)

blamite

MrBig said:
What did those who played watershed think of the map? It's made for 4v4, so 13 players was a bit much and led to some spawns being overwhelmed but it seemed to play out nicely in the film.
I liked it a lot, and I actually think it could work pretty well as a 6v6 map.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Ramirez said:
Remember when customs would drag on til like 3 in the morning? Yea...

To be fair, with the height of Halo 3 Customs, we had a good run down of maps and gametypes that we all liked and preferred week in and week out. We also had a stable amount of players, the same folks would always show up, we'd always have a full party.

Last two weeks we had poor numbers, this week was the opposite and we're packed.

I didn't anticipate being over-subscribed this week so I didn't prepare a good solid list of BTB suitable maps.

Next week, I'll make arrangements for having a similar turnout and that means I should have a solid selection of suitable and solid maps, so it will definitely run longer.

I'd like nothing more to have Customs stabilised to the point where we can expect a good turnout every week and have a good bunch of maps that we all know and like in rotation and thus stretch out duration.

I dunno I always preferred the after customs MM party to the actual customs in H3. Going into BTB all warmed up and donging on kids was great. We could still do that if people here played the game instead of bitching about it online.

xxjuicesxx said:
I dunno I always preferred the after customs MM party to the actual customs in H3. Going into BTB all warmed up and donging on kids was great. We could still do that if people here played the game instead of bitching about it online.

I know I'm just a junior, but I'm almost always down to play Reach. I have my issues with it, but they rarely stop me from playing and enjoying the game.

O D I N

Lots to quote, and I need to get to bed, so I'll make it snappy;

Watershed(?) was a cool map. I didn't get to explore it much, but I liked the look of it. I.e., big fan of the kiddie pool.

Gheleon(?), I REALLY liked Crossroads (That's what it was, right?). Lots of fun on that map.

The race map we did was okay. Took forever. o_O But it looked good.

I'll try working/finishing some of the map ideas I have. I think my problem is they never look as good as other maps I've seen, and I still need to get spawning down.

I know someone mentioned it too (Tawpgun or Starwolf), but I wouldn't mind a giant 16 player zombie game. I've seen a couple good/interesting ones on ForgeHUB. I'll see if there's any that work for BT:Infection.

Night all.

KevinRo

Dani said:
To be fair, with the height of Halo 3 Customs, we had a good run down of maps and gametypes that we all liked and preferred week in and week out. We also had a stable amount of players, the same folks would always show up, we'd always have a full party.

Last two weeks we had poor numbers, this week was the opposite and we're packed.

I didn't anticipate being over-subscribed this week so I didn't prepare a good solid list of BTB suitable maps.

Next week, I'll make arrangements for having a similar turnout and that means I should have a solid selection of suitable and solid maps, so it will definitely run longer.

I'd like nothing more to have Customs stabilised to the point where we can expect a good turnout every week and have a good bunch of maps that we all know and like in rotation and thus stretch out duration.

We should set up a list of gametypes and maps and start piling them into a post so we can keep track of all of it.

GhaleonEB

O D I N said:
Gheleon(?), I REALLY liked Crossroads (That's what it was, right?). Lots of fun on that map.
Thanks. It was my first and I think it works pretty well, but all I can see are flaws and it drives me nuts. I think I'm going to try a tweaked out version of it and see where it goes.

Going to play the living shit out of Firefight Limited for the rest of the evening, if anyone wants a competent partner shoot me an invite.

Sai-kun

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Thanks. It was my first and I think it works pretty well, but all I can see are flaws and it drives me nuts. I think I'm going to try a tweaked out version of it and see where it goes.

Going to play the living shit out of Firefight Limited for the rest of the evening, if anyone wants a competent partner let shoot me an invite.

Eh. I'm bored of WoW (gasp) and I played way too much Bayonetta last night. I'll hop on right now :)

Hey You

2 Lobbies may be need for Customs from now on.

I want to play the regular customs, sometime but its at the exact time as gamenight I host for my BNet group.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
MrBig said:
It's hard to say much about it other than I like the layout and I'd like to see how it'd play as it was meant (4v4).

Lazslo

KevinRo said:
dont mix alcohol with benzo's and try to post on gaf. not smart, i know this from experience.
Haven't heard the word Benzo's since college, my roommate was like a pharmacy...
vhfive said:
anyone still playing a drunk vhfive would like to get some games in.
I'll be in on 15 mins bro, wait up or i'll show my reticle bloom to Mrs. Fhive again

Hulud

Anyone else have a problem where they lose progress on that one campaign mission where you are jetpacking in the city with the ODSTs?

This happened to me twice and cost me the achievement for beating the game on Heroic.

Basically any time I play this mission and make it to the part where you get off the Hornet to fight the two wraith tanks and I save and quit the game, it loses my progress and I have to go back several checkpoints when I choose "Resume Campaign".

This has ruined my motivation to play and I was making steady progress on my solo Legendary run before it happened this last time.

PNut

Banned
Hulud said:
Anyone else have a problem where they lose progress on that one campaign mission where you are jetpacking in the city with the ODSTs?

No, I've never had that problem. Any reason why you just didn't finish the level on one playthrough?

Also, how do you guys feel about the new version of Multi-team? Personally, I'm not a fan. The old version worked great when you and a buddy were looking for something to play together without randoms. Now we just sit there looking for a third for team games.

NOKYARD

GhaleonEB said:
Here's something i have been doing lately to combat this Forge save plague.

Step 1, select ForgeWorld in the file browser and wait for the Busy… to load your maps.

Step 2, back out of the map list and select ForgeWorld again.

Step 3, navigate to your map in the list and hit the X button to bring up the Local File Options screen.

Step 4, wait until the fields are populated with information (File name, File Type etc.) before selecting your map.

If the fields do not show go back to Step 2 and try again.

If they still do not show check the very first custom map file in the list (not the baked-in maps) to see if the Local File Options screen is flashing. If so, shut the game down and start again.

This may seem like an OCD ritual but i have not encountered a single file issue since i started doing this when selecting maps for forge, and for custom games.

GhaleonEB

NOKYARD said:
Here's something i have been doing lately to combat this Forge save plague.

Step 1, select ForgeWorld in the file browser and wait for the Busy… to load your maps.

Step 2, back out of the map list and select ForgeWorld again.

Step 3, navigate to your map in the list and hit the X button to bring up the Local File Options screen.

Step 4, wait until the fields are populated with information (File name, File Type etc.) before selecting your map.

If the fields do not show go back to Step 2 and try again.

If they still do not show check the very first custom map file in the list (not the baked-in maps) to see if the Local File Options screen is flashing. If so, shut the game down and start again.

This may seem like an OCD ritual but i have not encountered a single file issue since i started doing this when selecting maps for forge, and for custom games.
I may start trying this. I've noticed those UI behaviors before but haven't gone out of my way to reset them.

I've never been fully satisfied with Crossroads, though I think it can be pretty fun. It got close to what I wanted, but not quite, but since I ran out of objects, budget and time (for the Forgetacular contest), I let it be. But it drives me crazy to play customs on it because it's not quite where I wanted it to be.

I just figured out how to do a major rebuild of the same core layout that will (I think) fix the problems with it. Gonna crank out a fast version of it tomorrow and see if it's possible.

Top Bottom