• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Ramirez

Tried to play some MLG today, quitters in both of my games right near the start, why do people even go into a match if they don't plan on playing? -_-

Ramirez said:
Tried to play some MLG today, quitters in both of my games right near the start, why do people even go into a match if they don't plan on playing? -_-

MLG is fun, but I always have more fun when all the weapons are there.

Popeck said:

article said:
The map pack includes three new multiplayer maps. You will be able download it for 800 Microsoft Points, or $10, on March 15. It has the first-ever Firefight mode for Halo Reach as well.

/facepalm

MrBig said:
"Last Bungie map pack..." And there you have it. Uncaged is now Bungie's last foray into our halo hearts.

Sweet, delicious Uncaged. ;^)

MrBig said:
"Last Bungie map pack..." And there you have it. Uncaged is now Bungie's last foray into our halo hearts.

He also says they've got a big surprise for the 10th anniversary, among other surprises.

FSJAL_Template_by_g00dguyz.png

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ramirez said:

Ugh I know. You gotta run 3's or 4's.

My current Reach routine consists of loading up the game, going into Forge World, staring around for a while trying to think of something to do, and then quitting back out to play something else. I've hit a creative stop. :(

vhfive said:
basically it's a tiny bit better but it's still shit.

The map just has zero flow to it among other things so I seriously doubt that the changes will make that much of a difference. I just hope they added more soft kill zones to negate some of the abusive jetpacking to areas that are other wise inaccessible to everyone else.

KevinRo

Blue Ninja said:
My current Reach routine consists of loading up the game, going into Forge World, staring around for a while trying to think of something to do, and then quitting back out to play something else. I've hit a creative stop. :(

Try re-creating some of your favorite maps from other games. Even single player scenarios from different games sometimes might fit well caged off.

Then while you are doing that maybe you'll get an idea and work off of that.

MrBig said:

Truly a monument to all their sins. Wow.

Unless they release the as-yet-unreleased maps from that trailer long long long ago.

xxxstylzxxx said:
The map just has zero flow to it among other things so I seriously doubt that the changes will make that much of a difference. I just hope they added more soft kill zones to negate some of the abusive jetpacking to areas that are other wise inaccessible to everyone else.

zv8rb9.jpg

Ramirez

vhfive said:
basically it's a tiny bit better but it's still shit.

My favorite is watching everyone use jetpacks to get on top of buildings and over that huge wall, effectively breaking the map more than it already is. God I hate jetpacks.

Sad that Uncaged is their final map, horrible map for a horrible game I suppose. I really hope if their next game has MP, they remember what made CE-3 so much fun.

Hitmonchan107 said:

As an avid Bumper Jumper man I am forced to stay grounded and try and sprint/evade/camo my way to victory :-( This proves to be somewhat difficult on a map that sports a jetpack friendly central platform where would be snipers roam with little to no fear of ramification.

Speaking of Forgeworld I have been working on a 4v4 TS/CTF map for a couple of months now. It's a medium sized map that plays somewhat vertically but does provide non jetpack users with ways of accessing the upper levels quite easily.

So feel free to download it off of my fileshare and provide whatever input you feel is needed. It was made with competitive settings in mind so there aren't that many weapons available plus the spawns are not exactly fleshed out. However the layout itself is pretty much complete, for now anyway.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=13231576&player=lx STYLZ xl

Letters said:
Maybe when halogaf is over the phase where they keep using customs as an opportunity to test all kinds of crap, and just play really solid stuff one after another.
Yes please. MLG, Classic Slayer, Slayer Pro gametypes on good maps with even teams. Can we have a customs like this one day? Or at least make that the majority of the games and we can do the crazy shit after we're bored of it?

vhfive said:
thanks... I think

I should be around next week for customs.
:lol

All I was implying is that you seem like the happiest dude on Halo. Seriously, you always just sound so high on life. Especially when you're pushing me off the top of Spire. :I

xxxstylzxxx said:
As an avid Bumper Jumper man I am forced to stay grounded and try and sprint/evade/camo my way to victory :-( This proves to be somewhat difficult on a map that sports a jetpack friendly central platform where would be snipers roam with little to no fear of ramification.
Razer Onza man. It's gonna be so good.

Tawpgun

Blue Ninja said:
Oh god, online co-op. Getting out of Delta Halo. Throw in a Theater mode, and you have my wallet.
<3 Delta Halo

Weapon Lowering (I'm a big machinima guy)

Scarab Gun (I've only gotten to it once with a friend. It was SO hard.)

Finding Skulls

The Halo 2 campaign is so good for co-op.
--

As far as customs go, what if we keep the Saturday customs for testing maps/shenanigans and minigames, and then have customs on Sunday or something for classic/competetive Halo experience. Maybe a little BTB stomping if we get down to 8 people.

KevinRo said:
Try re-creating some of your favorite maps from other games. Even single player scenarios from different games sometimes might fit well caged off.

Then while you are doing that maybe you'll get an idea and work off of that.
Sounds like a plan, actually. Thanks.

In the meantime, here's some purdy pictures.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Jumped back into H3 for a few games the other day. BB remembrance day. Very fun times had by all.

Even went back and checked out my only 'successful' forge map. I tried remaking it day 1 of reach from memory, as i had traded in H3 to get the Limited edition... I'm thinking of going back and making a piece for piece copy. Hmmmmm.

bobs99 ... said:
You clearly dont know this community to well then. The guys round here range from the whole spectrum when it comes to skill. If you really think the lack of bragging rights is the reason the Arena is underpopulated your crazy. There are plenty of posts detailing why the Arena is a poor substitute for the old Ranking system, and many of those posts are made by the exact same people who are not rank obsessed at all.

The majority of Halo players didnt make it to 50, that didn't stop ranked from being so popular in the past. The fact that The Arena has serious flaws is what makes it so unpopular on Reach.
My statement could have been clearer, but then again, you also could have done a better job reading it. "This community", in context, did not refer to HaloGAF, but to the community of rank-obsessed players.

I've read a lot of posts criticizing Arena, and most of them advocate a 1-50 ranking system. Knowing the inherent problems of such a system, is it not safe to assume that its proponents are unreasonably obsessed with the idea of having a visible skill-influenced rank next to their gamertags?

Hey You

Its surprising how fast Bungie is leaving Halo. I thought Bungie would be making DLC and such for at least a year, not a couple of months.

When do you guys think 343i will take over completely (Community Content,Playlist Updates etc?)

My guess would be until August-September.

GhaleonEB

Hey You said:
Its surprising how fast Bungie is leaving Halo. I thought Bungie would be making DLC and such for at least a year, not a couple of months.

When do you guys think 343i will take over completely (Community Content,Playlist Updates etc?)

I think it will happen this year. The launch of the Waypoint player Service Record and stuff like the Challenges begins to lay down the path, I think. Fall seems about right, given how much there is to build and transition.

Hey You said:

Bungie will always have their on site data, charts, bungie pro.

Bungie won't ever LEAVE Halo.

HiredN00bs said:
My statement could have been clearer, but then again, you also could have done a better job reading it. "This community", in context, did not refer to HaloGAF, but to the community of rank-obsessed players.

I've read a lot of posts criticizing Arena, and most of them advocate a 1-50 ranking system. Knowing the inherent problems of such a system, is it not safe to assume that its proponents are unreasonably obsessed with the idea of having a visible skill-influenced rank next to their gamertags?

Apologies I misread I assumed you were replying directly to Dani and including him as an example of the larger community - nothing could be further from the truth. In my defence im tired!

A ranking system adds a lot to the game. Sure so far the implementations of a ranking sytem in a Halo game has had its shortcomings but for a group of people its also made the game a lot more enjoyable. There really is a lot I could write here, and next weekend when im a little more free I will gladly expand on this post, sorry I just dont have the time to do the subject justice right now. I only really posted this to apologise. Hopefully someone else will chime in. (hint hint.)

wwm0nkey

There is another thread about this but if any of you guys are interested Microsoft is starting to delete old Xbox 1 gamer tags, so if you want one of the old tags most of them should be deleted soon :D

equil

wwm0nkey said:
There is another thread about this but if any of you guys are interested Microsoft is starting to delete old Xbox 1 gamer tags, so if you want one of the old tags most of them should be deleted soon :D

Where's that thread at? Thats awesome.

Edit: nvm i found it.

Tawpgun

wwm0nkey said:

Cool news I guess. I was surprised Tawpgun wasn't taken when I made it.

I started out as A27Topgun, and while the A27 is a signifacant part of mt GT, I just love the nice and clean "Tawpgun." I've always hated gamertags dotted with x's unnecesary numbers, ect. Although it is kind of annoying that some people can't figure out that Tawp = Top and they try really hard at pronouncing it "TAOWUP. HEY TAOUWUPGUN"

A27_StarWolf said:
Bungie will always have their on site data, charts, bungie pro.

Bungie won't ever LEAVE Halo.

Data and charts can easily be transferred to 343. Bungie Pro might be a little more difficult. Halo will always have a place in Bungie's heart, but eventually they will have to hand over the reigns to 343 completely.

Personally, I'm really excited to see what 343 does with the franchise (Domino's write up gave me a LOT of hope) It's an entire studio of people who love Halo, why else would they work there?

And I'm excited to see what Bungie can do without being limited to one franchise and having Microsoft down their necks. Their deal with Activison seemed pretty free and open so I doubt they'll be too much of a problem. Either way, it's the best decision for Halo fans and Bungie for them to give Halo over to 343.

wwm0nkey said:
Really now? I guess I'll be checking back again and again for "Dax".

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
The main reason why I am happy to Bungie away from Halo is because they got their best talent cooking away at an original project and have done so for the past few years. The last time Bungie best made something original we got Halo and here we ten years later.

The best thing to come out of the situation is the fact that we have Halo in capable hands we a great future for the franchise and we have a completely new franchise to explore from Bungie. It's the best of both worlds.

Just imagine in a few years time we'll have a new Halo AND a new Bungie game side by side. I can't think of anything better.

Kuroyume

Banned
What if the next Bungie game is a golf game or MMO? It would suck. Not going to get excited about Bungie's next game until they reveal it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
wwm0nkey said:
Oh man I would scoop up "Tashi"

Crucio

wwm0nkey said:

Oh sweet!! I'm checking for mine! Edit: Hmm not gone, though still hoping!
Man is frustrates me that the GT I want has never been used and Microsoft can't do anything to give it to me? I hope they really are deleting old unused tags! Please!

ElRenoRaven

Popeck said:
I haven't yet had the time to read it, but here's an article on 343i taking the lead on Halo franchise and Defiant Map Pack feat steaming hot Frankie video and photo: http://venturebeat.com/2011/02/27/m...th-launch-of-upcoming-defiant-map-pack-video/.

Interesting interview. It is sad though. The really sad day though will be the day Bungie ceases hosting the stats, etc for reach. You can see that day coming too. With 343I starting to serve stats etc too you can see them building to that.

neoism said:
fucking HATE jet-pack... sooooo much worse than AL.. and it doesn't really even bother me much. :/
Agreed.

Jet Packing is honestly the worst ability IMO.... I personally don't see all the fuss with AL (I use it myself quite often). But Jetpacks are so so bad.

They also ruin (imo) how the map is supposed to flow. I understand the maps were made with jet packing in mind, but it just doesn't feel right.

neoism

Dani said:
The main reason why I am happy to Bungie away from Halo is because they got their best talent cooking away at an original project and have done so for the past few years. The last time Bungie best made something original we got Halo and here we ten years later.

The best thing to come out of the situation is the fact that we have Halo in capable hands we a great future for the franchise and we have a completely new franchise to explore from Bungie. It's the best of both worlds.

Just imagine in a few years time we'll have a new Halo AND a new Bungie game side by side. I can't think of anything better.
Yeah I really hope I'm interested.... I want to continue to support Bungle... love'em <3
Really hope lighting strikes twice for them. Still disappointed in the Activision partnership though... :(

Kuroyume

Banned
Evade is the worst. I hate it so much. Is it me or did few of the playlists have evade when the game launched? It's like they added it more later on. So annoying.

ElRenoRaven

neoism said:
Yeah I really hope I'm interested.... I want to continue to support Bungle... love'em <3
Really hope lighting strikes twice for them. Still disappointed in the Activision partnership though... :(

To be honest Bungie has never been a hugely popular developer until Microsoft bought them and pushed Halo and them like they did. Now that they are free again i don't see their next franchise being as popular as Halo. Halo really was something special. I do however think that popularity doesn't define the quality of a game. So I think the next Bungie game franchise will have some amazing games regardless of how popular they are.

Either way I've been a Bungie fan for a long time and I sure as hell will be till I die or god forbid Bungie ceases to exist.

Kuroyume said:
Evade is the worst. I hate it so much. Is it me or did few of the playlists have evade when the game launched? It's like they added it more later on. So annoying.

I don't see why?

Anyone ever notice kids with hologram are either really REALLY bad, or really good?

Top Bottom