• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

wwm0nkey

FyreWulff said:
I'm pretty sure bloom is client side and would require re-shipping all the maps as a ~8GB download, and break inter-version compatibility; something that none of the previous Halo games have yet to ever do.

I'm still going with my previous prediction of classic weapons in the CEA maps Forge palette.
Well wouldnt fall damage be Client Side too?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Thermite said:
TITLE UPDATE??????

72f1uv.gif

:lol :lol

edit: Keep bloom, fix nukes. *cues Plywood with GIF*

Update? Yay. But the only real thing they have officially announced is that there will be an option for no fall damage. But they did say that they are trying to bring back that classic feel and that's good enough for me

Havok

AlmostMilk said:
Update? Yay. But the only real thing they have officially announced is that there will be an option for no fall damage.
The implied message that no issue is safe is a pretty huge deal, especially if you consider this is the teasiest of teases.

Kuroyume

Banned
Is this update only going to effect the people who either by Anniversary or download the DLC? So essentially you have to pay to see anything new? Or, is it going to change stuff for vanilla Reach too?

Requests for title update:

- Remove bloom
- Beef up the pistol (damage, rate of fire, and clip size)
- Severly nerf the AR (destroy its range and weaken the damage)
- Increase player movement speed
- Nerf vehicles (Banshee and tank in particular)
- Restore all weapons to their beta settings
- Flag juggling

wwm0nkey

Kuroyume said:
Is this update only going to effect the people who either by Anniversary or download the DLC? So essentially you have to pay to see anything new? Or, is it going to change stuff for vanilla Reach too?
Works for both

Nutter

kylej said:
There was never any doubt. Frankie will save us.
"A hero is more than a person, a hero is a belief. A belief that, against impossible odds, the world can be saved—and that the world is still worth saving. Heroes inspire that belief in us. They renew our faith and give us that most precious of all gifts—hope. The world needs heroes. That's why, when a true hero arrives, the world will honor him."

FyreWulff

wwm0nkey said:
Well wouldnt fall damage be Client Side too?

No, I believe whether you take fall damage is determined by the host. In laggy games I can jump off the Spire with the Core in Invasion and survive half the time when I hit the ground.

You can already "turn off" fall damage by playing around with Player Gravity and Player Jump Height. Go into a custom and set it to 50% Gravity and 50% Jump Height. Now walk off the topmost bridge or vent in Sword Base - you won't take any fall damage. All they'd have to do for that is add a new knob / dial for the host that plays with these values in a certain way that you jump like Halo 1/2 but without taking fall damage. This is something an unpatched client would readily accept from the host and inter-operate without issue.

FyreWulff

Kuroyume said:
Both Anniversary/DLC and Reach? The sense I'm getting is that it's only for the Anniversary people and the people who buy the DLC but not the people who don't get either.

The TU would be for everyone.

Any specific features like say Halo 1/2 weapons on the maps would be limited to those maps, as it would require re-shipping every .map in the game to have them in disc and existing DLC maps.

FyreWulff said:
I'm pretty sure bloom is client side and would require re-shipping all the maps as a ~8GB download, and break inter-version compatibility; something that none of the previous Halo games have yet to ever do.

I'm still going with my previous prediction of classic weapons in the CEA maps Forge palette.

I just hope whatever they do, that Reach is using the new permanent patch tech that Rock Band 3 has. It's going to be very annoying to go randomly losing films when the game randomly loses it's patch..

Bloom is in the .map files. The disc maps are hardly 8gb.

ElRenoRaven

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!

All armor abilites gone please!!!!!
Bloom I can take or leave but not having it would be nice.
And no no no keep fall damage goddamn it.

Other then that it's all good I think.

FyreWulff

Kuroyume said:
- Remove bloom - Client side, pretty sure this is not happening. They can include no-bloom weapons with the new .maps though
- Beef up the pistol (damage, rate of fire, and clip size) Modifying the damage post ship is possible, but not ROF (client side) or clip size (requires changing .map)
- Severly nerf the AR (destroy its range and weaken the damage) - Possible but don't see why they would do this
- Increase player movement speed - doesn't need a TU, can be done via Megalo
- Nerf vehicles (Banshee and tank in particular) - any changes to these would require re-shipping every .map
- Flag juggling - You can already do this on your own in custom game settings by turning the cooldown off

wwm0nkey

The Real Napsta said:
Bloom is in the .map files. The disc maps are hardly 8gb.
Its True, Reach is 6.8 gigs and most of that is from the SP.

Also what about just modifying bloom values so its almost non exsistant?

Kuroyume said:

Requests for title update:

- Remove bloom
- Beef up the pistol (damage, rate of fire, and clip size)
- Severly nerf the AR (destroy its range and weaken the damage)
- Increase player movement speed
- Nerf vehicles (Banshee and tank in particular)
- Restore all weapons to their beta settings
- Flag juggling

I will not dare to hope, but that would be fucking amazing.

Because everyone is talking about it, A DL of the disc maps in the game would be at least a couple of gigs I'd think.

The update states making a better Halo CE feel for the new maps and then hints at no fall damage. CE had fall damage. Very severe fall damage in fact.

ElRenoRaven

wwm0nkey said:
Halo 2 didn't though :D

Alas he is right and signs are pointing to a Halo 2 map or two in our Halo Anniversary. I know I know. You say but but it's a Halo Anniversary and not Halo 2. I agree. But alas instead of putting only Halo maps in a Halo Anniversary signs point to a Halo 2 map or too sadly.

FyreWulff

wwm0nkey said:
Its True, Reach is 6.8 gigs and most of that is from the SP.

Also what about just modifying bloom values so its almost non exsistant?

MS and 343 aren't going to ship a multi-gigabyte TU nor are they going to re-ship Noble and Defiant. The only time they have ever re-shipped DLC after it's public release was the Blastacular Map Pack and that was due to critical bugs in Tombstone. Desolation wasn't even touched in that update, even though the vehicle spawning bug was already known.

Like I've said already: Anniversary-only weapons that have minimal to no bloom (ie H1 pistol, H2 BR) are possible to include in those maps. Global bloom removal from Reach just isn't happening.

wwm0nkey said:
Isnt there a Halo 2 map in it though?

They have not said there is one.

PsychoRaven said:
Alas he is right and signs are pointing to a Halo 2 map or two in our Halo Anniversary. I know I know. You say but but it's a Halo Anniversary and not Halo 2. I agree. But alas instead of putting only Halo maps in a Halo Anniversary signs point to a Halo 2 map or too sadly.

Yeah I just found it odd that they specifically said making things in the game like Halo CE, and then mentioned taking out fall damage when fall damage is clearly a part of CE.

Not saying it won't be nice to have more options in general, it was just odd to write it like that in the article.

FyreWulff

sly2thefox said:
Please allow for specific images for each forge map in Matchmaking. Seriously how could this not be on the disc to begin with? kthxbai

Bungie said they wanted this feature but it was cut before shipping to make the deadline. It was going to use the screenshot system in some way.

FyreWulff

wwm0nkey said:
Again though couldnt they modify the bloom values though?

No, the bloom values are client side in the .map. They can only modify things like spread (like Halo 2) or damage (H2, H3) since these things are handled by the host, as it's creating the bullets/projectiles.

Steelyuhas said:
Well its in CE, they are just using the version from H2 because there are no ladders in Reach.

99% of Reach's ladders left on the Pillar of Autumn

Ken

sly2thefox said:
Please allow for specific images for each forge map in Matchmaking. Seriously how could this not be on the disc to begin with? kthxbai
89bf4f19.png

Which do you want to vote for: Select, Enclosed, or Uncaged?

Trasher

Already congratulating before we even have any clue as to what the changes are? Oh, HaloGaf...

I'm optimistic of course (especially because I find Reach so stale as of late), but I'm not going to start celebrating just so soon.

Trasher

CyReN said:
If the title update removes bloom I will play Reach non stop instead of bitch on forums.
I don't know if that's a realistic request... I would love to be proved wrong and have this post quoted to be made fun of in the future though.

Top Bottom