• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

feel

Wait did they just delete part of the bulletin?? D:

Went back in to read it again and it's much shorter with no mention of the title update.

edit- Refreshed and some of it is back, but it just cuts off mid paragraph, wat

Trasher

Letters said:

Went back in to read it again and it's much shorter with no mention of the title update.
What?

The-Halo-Bulletin-6-28-11_large.png

CyReN

Trasher said:
I don't know if that's a realistic request... I would love to be proved wrong and have this post quoted to be made fun of in the future though.

If the bloom is removed I will forgive Frankie about H1 Mp.

Yea I see you reading this Frankie.

FyreWulff

Letters said:

Same thing happened to me. Refresh. It seems to randomly decide to not load anything after the rainbow picture.

Because I was all "the hell, he didn't mention fall damage anywhere! What are people talking about? *refresh* Oh hey, more text!"

Tawpgun

Maybe they're removing fall stun. You can already remove fall damage but I think the stun from falling is still there.

Would they remove bloom? Not in regular matchmaking. It would break a lot of the weapon balance. Now, could they have an option to remove bloom? I hope so.

Nerf grenade radius and damage and don't make them able to chain react, kthx.

Bring back Beta Magnum

Bring Back Beta Microwave

Bring back Beta Elites and Elite Weapons

Nerf Banshee

Nerf explosions (rockets, fuel rod, wraith)

This would require a lot of testing... but make BTB fun again. Vehicle Health, DMR range, damage against vehicles ect.

Fix firefight lag, though im not sure if this is possible

Fix Foregeworld framerate if possible

Make a delay when getting out of sprint and meleeing.

Can't think of anything else that would need a TU...

feel

Refreshing only brought back half of the missing content, the update just cuts off midway through the part where Jessica is hinting about the TU details, seems like there's a bug in the website or my browser.

edit- managed to get it all back by refreshing a few more times

Trasher

Before you tackle the above tasks, there is one more thing we should talk about, something we hinted at both during E3 and, more recently, in the first paragraph of this Bulletin. We’re pleased to confirm that we’re planning a Title Update (a small download which will add some interesting functionality) for Halo: Reach in preparation for the multiplayer aspect of Halo: Anniversary.

If your heart suddenly sped up, fret not, Reach fan. This is something that will not only sit side-by-side with Reach’s existing gameplay and will be accessible by both Reach and Anniversary players, but will allow us to make fairly significant changes to multiplayer gameplay within the confines of Matchmaking. We’ve talked about this as a way to better recreate the classic Halo: CE feel for the new classic maps, and it will let us do some things in gameplay that simply aren’t possible now. I don’t want to give too much away until we get through gameplay and bug-testing, but an example scenario would be allowing you to play, say, [REDACTED] with zero fall damage. Now that’s a limited and simplistic example, but it does speak to the way we’re approaching the changes philosophically. There are some bigger ticket “classic” Halo gameplay elements which people are clamoring for and which we intend to do our best to deliver on. More news about specific changes and the timing of the Title Update will be forthcoming. But I can say that, having tried a few of the more significant tweaks, certain “classic” elements are already working with beautiful and deadly efficiency.

We congratulate, thank, and celebrate Bungie as they close the Halo chapter of their lives. For those of us at 343, though? Well, I think we're just getting started…

<3,
bs angel

That does sound pretty damn cool, but, once again, I'll wait until we actually get some real info.

Hey You

sly2thefox said:
Please allow for specific images for each forge map in Matchmaking. Seriously how could this not be on the disc to begin with? kthxbai
I remember seeing a comment that Bungie wanted it in, but didn't have enough time.
This would be very nice & helpful though.

feel

Dani said:
You'll find a glitch free copy in FUD's Bulletin Archive. =)
Thanks!

Reading it more carefully, it seems like there will be a bunch of hooks inserted into Reach that will allow 343 to go crazy in matchmaking instead of being held back by the relatively limited number of options in the Custom settings menu.

I want random gravity direction shifts midgame Inception style.

wwm0nkey

Letters said:
Thanks!

Reading it more carefully, it seems like there will be a bunch of hooks inserted into Reach that will allow 343 to go crazy in matchmaking instead of being held back by the relatively limited number of options in the Custom settings menu.
I wonder if we will be getting those options in the customs menu actually.

blamite

Seriously, this makes me so excited. I'm glad 343 is finally doing what Bungie refused to do and listen to fans when it comes to basic gameplay elements. Hopefully Reach can go from the game I play because there's no other current FPS I want to the game that I want to play everyday because it's so awesome.

feel

wwm0nkey said:
I wonder if we will be getting those options in the customs menu actually.
Being able to go and modify each weapon's attributes individually would be crazy awesome

>Bullet speed
>Rate of fire
>Reticule behavior
(and other things)

And setting damage individually for every little event, from modifiers for bullet damage, fall damage and explosive damage, down to getting hit by a cone or bumping into another spartan.

Bread

Banned
I'm finally about to beat Reach, 2 missions left I believe. I'm not sure why it took me so long to get this far, I actually like the campaign a lot. The last mission I did with the flying from building to building stuff was a little repetitive, but still reall awesome.

wwm0nkey

Letters said:
Being able to go and modify each weapon's attributes individually would be crazy awesome

>Bullet speed
>Rate of fire
>Reticule behavior
(and other things)

And setting damage individually for every little event, from modifiers for bullet damage, fall damage and explosive damage, down to getting hit by a cone or bumping into another spartan.
Would be fucking amazing lol

MrBig

Their wording is just as vague as Urk's.

My first speculation is that they're taking the megalo approach to heart. Having an open ended system for the new maps that can create a wild array of new possibilities. Something like shared.map in previous games that houses all the tags of the new maps and can be updated on the fly to change dynamically to the user or 343's needs.

blamite said:
I'm glad 343 is finally doing what Bungie refused to do and listen to fans when it comes to basic gameplay elements.
Oh, right because Bungie has refused to listen to us for the past 10 years.

I'm sure Title Updates are easy as cake to implement, Bungie has just been too busy to bother with the fans. And to make matters worse, they're throwing all kinds of meat and swag bags in our faces next week. It's so rude of them to refuse to listen to us and carry on updating the playlists monthly.

What assholes.

Just because they don't implement every change people whine about on the forums doesn't mean they aren't listening.

blamite

Hydranockz said:
And they still managed to get a title Update out!
ncsuDuncan said:
Oh, right because Bungie has refused to listen to us for the past 10 years.

I'm sure Title Updates are easy as cake to implement, Bungie has just been too busy to bother with the fans. And to make matters worse, they're throwing all kinds of meat and swag bags in our faces next week. It's so rude of them to refuse to listen to us and carry on updating the playlists monthly.

What assholes.

Just because they don't implement every change people whine about on the forums doesn't mean they aren't listening.
Well they've changed things between one game and the next but they haven't done anything significant to Reach other than add new maps. All the other cool stuff they're doing is unrelated. I was referring to changes in one specific area of the game, community stuff is separate and most likely not done by the same people within Bungie.

I guess that comment souned a little harsher than I meant it. I still love Bungie and have great hopes for there next game, but their lack of updates to Reach has me kind of annoyed, especially considering the kinds of changes they've made in the past (whole bunch of stuff in Halo 2, Halo 3's melee).

I should also not that you shouldn't take any harsh words from me too seriously. I usually don't mean them to be that harsh.

People aren't towing the hater/apologist line very well.
Hydranockz said:
Heh. It's fun and interesting to ponder how big 343 is, and which people are working mostly on what. You know, the kind of thing that happens here on GAF, geeking out on games and those that develop them
and making unfair assumptions :p

FyreWulff

It's almost like it was impossible that Bungie's engineers have been working on the TU up until recently and handed it off to 343 like the whole Bungie -> 343 transition wasn't planned or anything from the start.

They've been constantly updating the game via Megalo between launch and now... TUs require more time and more planning and certification/money to release.

Zeouterlimits said:
People aren't towing the hater/apologist line very well.

Heh. It's fun and interesting to ponder how big 343 is, and which people are working mostly on what. You know, the kind of thing that happens here on GAF, geeking out on games and those that develop them
and making unfair assumptions :p
Wat? And my pic doesn't imply how many people work for 343i? :p

Considering they fit quite snugly in the old Bungie studio I'd imagine quite a large, talented number.

GhaleonEB

Good news on the TU front. The surprise to me is that they're updating all of Reach; I'd assumed (poorly, in hindsight) that the new classic changes would be confined to the new maps. Look forward to hearing about more.

Fall damage isn't something I object to as it's implemented in Reach, but given that they're making an update to address issues the community dislikes and create a more 'classic' feel, there's probably another few big ticket changes yet to detail. I suspect bloom will go the way of the dodo under classic settings, but that presents a whole other set of issues in how to balance the rifles.

But I can say that, having tried a few of the more significant tweaks, certain “classic” elements are already working with beautiful and deadly efficiency.
Man that sounds like either a reduction/removal of bloom or beefed up weapon damage, perhaps the pistol? Still way too early to get excited about specifics. Must maintain a cautious optimism like Trasher.

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:
You're all thinking in the wrong direction.

The TU will add a new armor effect that puts a flaming red beard on your spartan.
I remain disappointed that we didn't get a Sage beard armory item.

Blueblur1

GhaleonEB said:
Good news on the TU front. The surprise to me is that they're updating all of Reach; I'd assumed (poorly, in hindsight) that the new classic changes would be confined to the new maps. Look forward to hearing about more.

Fall damage isn't something I object to as it's implemented in Reach, but given that they're making an update to address issues the community dislikes and create a more 'classic' feel, there's probably another few big ticket changes yet to detail. I suspect bloom will go the way of the dodo under classic settings, but that presents a whole other set of issues in how to balance the rifles.
I suspect that specific animations such as the short pause when falling from a long fall will be tweaked as well.

GhaleonEB said:
I remain disappointed that we didn't get a Sage beard armory item.
Ugh.

FyreWulff said:
Like I've said already: Anniversary-only weapons that have minimal to no bloom (ie H1 pistol, H2 BR) are possible to include in those maps. Global bloom removal from Reach just isn't happening.
Heck, I'd be okay with them replacing all of Reach's weapons with no-bloom versions for the Anniversary maps.

I wouldn't ever leave.

0007_lyu8.gif

Top Bottom