• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

MrBig

wwm0nkey said:
What the hell it says the Bag o Swag is back in stock but when I go to buy it, it says its not there :(
If they were actually up "Only 3 left in stock, order soon!" would mean they are gone by now, since it wouldn't be updating in real time.

wwm0nkey

MrBig said:
If they were actually up "Only 3 left in stock, order soon!" would mean they are gone by now, since it wouldn't be updating in real time.
Nvm from what I understand they go back up Thursday, guess they are just getting ready for it...still though was all excited when I saw it :(

GhaleonEB

Trasher said:
Ghaleon gets it and the man doesn't even enjoy multiplayer!
Thing is, Invasion helping to tank the BTB maps in Reach is a big part of the reason why I'm down on Reach's multiplayer. Paradiso, Boneyard, Hemorrhage and Spire are all very poor maps. And that's what BTB was until the first DLC, which isn't enough to salvage it.

The other reasons being the lousy vehicle sandbox and poor gunplay and armor ability implementation...

Trasher

GhaleonEB said:
Thing is, Invasion helping to tank the BTB maps in Reach is a big part of the reason why I'm down on Reach's multiplayer. Paradiso, Boneyard, Hemorrhage and Spire are all very poor maps. And that's what BTB was until the first DLC, which isn't enough to salvage it.

The other reasons being the lousy vehicle sandbox and poor gunplay and armor ability implementation...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01uY72YK-Xs

wwm0nkey

FyreWulff said:
cue gif of chopper stuck on it's side going in circles
Still better than this pile of crap lol
Prowler_Render.gif

FyreWulff said:
We need another Invasion map. Breakpoint is the map that Invasion should have shipped with as it's featured map. I want to see another one. We already had a map pack with a map that was usable in even less modes than Breakpoint.

Breakpoint could make sense in more gametypes, but it'd require someone to rig up a separate version for each gametype.

The last time I played Highlands or Condemned was over a month ago in matchmaking. I've played the Noble maps numerous times since then.

It's a shame too that at this point, we'll probably never be getting community Invasion maps, and because of that we still don't have an updated version of Invasion to use with FW maps because the updated Invasion variants are locked to Breakpoint, Boneyard and Spire.

Although the gametype is nowhere near perfect, once Breakpoint came out I quickly realized that the problem with Invasion is largely not the gametype, but the maps. Invasion on Breakpoint is awesome. I wish I could say the same about Boneyard and Spire. Spire is especially gawd awful.

Ramirez

Trasher said:
There's zero hate in my posts. I'm happy they are taking a stab at it, but who says that any feasible changes to the game will actually improve it? I'm just being realistic so that I'm not disappointed when the changes do occur. I'm not a naive teenager anymore that will immediately believe one update with zero information is going to cure all my Halo woes. Obviously it sounds like there will be major changes, but just because there are major changes doesn't mean the game will suddenly be amazing.

I enjoy your optimism Ram, but not you, or anyone else here, can tell me for sure that this title update will improve the game. I'm not saying it won't, my point is just that we don't know yet. We have no information of any changes to go off of (other than no fall damage which means jetpackers get a buff lawl). You and I, over the course of the Halo series, have always talked about simple things that could be done in the games to improve their gameplay, and yet as simple as the ideas were they were never implemented. It's hard for me to keep being optimistic about certain changes (that are popularly discussed in this thread) that have never come about before.

The only hate I'm full of is when I currently play Reach and don't enjoy it. So I do look forward to see the changes 343 has in store for us, and I also look forward to a hopefully improved Halo Reach. I will not praise anyone though until I experience, or at least read, the supposed improvements myself.

I swear to god people here always count their chickens before they hatch when it comes to these damn games lol.

I see it this way, there's no possible way they could make the game any worse than it already is in my eyes, so it gives me some hope.

Can you believe they removed the Chopper and replaced it with the Revenant? What a completely useless and redundant addition to the vehicle sandbox.

Thermite

Ramirez said:
I see it this way, there's no possible way they could make the game any worse than it already is in my eyes, so it gives me some hope.

Nailed it. Any change at this point - whether it's as small as tweaking armor lock and other armor abilities, or as big as removing/altering reticule bloom - will be pretty fantastic. This TU may not fix every single gripe about Reach that has been made by the community, true, but any change is highly likely to make the game more enjoyable, IMO..

Ramirez

I would love for the TU to make melee more like the older games, I hate how you only break shields no matter how many shots you put into someone, that mechanic alone led to so many multikills back in the older games...

wwm0nkey

Ramirez said:
I would love for the TU to make melee more like the older games, I hate how you only break shields no matter how many shots you put into someone, that mechanic alone led to so many multikills back in the older games...
This!

At first I thought I would LOVE this new melee system...yeah not really anymore.

EDIT: Oh also do you guys think this TU could bring people back to Reach if it is beefy enough?
(things like no bloom, better melee, 1-50 ranks, faster base speed and individual weapon damage modifiers)

wwm0nkey said:
EDIT: Oh also do you guys think this TU could bring people back to Reach if it is beefy enough?
(things like no bloom, better melee, 1-50 ranks, faster base speed and individual weapon damage modifiers)
Absolutely. Just removing bloom, even if it's only for the Anniversary maps, would be enough to bring my friends back.

wwm0nkey said:
I liked your original response better lol
I felt like I was coming on to you. :lol :lol

For the record, I said, "You bet your sweet monkey ass."

wwm0nkey

Falt said:
TU comes with a free pair of rose tinted glasses right?
Yes.

Also wonder if this update will add that armor people are now referring too as the "BoB" armor. BS did say they would explain it at a later time.

HaloFest needs to get here already.

Trasher

Thermite said:
Nailed it. Any change at this point - whether it's as small as tweaking armor lock and other armor abilities, or as big as removing/altering reticule bloom - will be pretty fantastic. This TU may not fix every single gripe about Reach that has been made by the community, true, but any change is highly likely to make the game more enjoyable, IMO..
It better be fucking bigger than just tweaking armor lock lol. That wouldn't improve a damn thing in the overall scheme of things. The game needs some serious help in the fun department because it is the only Halo game that has ever gotten me so pissed in one sitting. I would definitely love to see changes on the other spectrum such as removing reticule bloom or adjusting grenades/weapon damage. Even if the game ends up being as shitty as it currently is, I would still give props to 343 for at least experimenting with it. It would be pretty hilarious if they actually found a way to make this game even less satisfying to play lol. Maybe they can find a way to make the game at least somewhat enjoyable to play by yourself in matchmaking. Pipe dream, I know.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Trasher said:
There's zero hate in my posts. I'm happy they are taking a stab at it, but who says that any feasible changes to the game will actually improve it? I'm just being realistic so that I'm not disappointed when the changes do occur. I'm not a naive teenager anymore that will immediately believe one update with zero information is going to cure all my Halo woes. Obviously it sounds like there will be major changes, but just because there are major changes doesn't mean the game will suddenly be amazing.

I enjoy your optimism Ram, but not you, or anyone else here, can tell me for sure that this title update will improve the game. I'm not saying it won't, my point is just that we don't know yet. We have no information of any changes to go off of (other than no fall damage which means jetpackers get a buff lawl). You and I, over the course of the Halo series, have always talked about simple things that could be done in the games to improve their gameplay, and yet as simple as the ideas were they were never implemented. It's hard for me to keep being optimistic about certain changes (that are popularly discussed in this thread) that have never come about before.

The only hate I'm full of is when I currently play Reach and don't enjoy it. So I do look forward to see the changes 343 has in store for us, and I also look forward to a hopefully improved Halo Reach. I will not praise anyone though until I experience, or at least read, the supposed improvements myself.

I swear to god people here always count their chickens before they hatch when it comes to these damn games lol.
"Spoken like a true prodigy"

I think a lot of you will have to wait until Halo 4 to be "saved"

Woorloog

Banned
FyreWulff said:
No, the bloom values are client side in the .map. They can only modify things like spread (like Halo 2) or damage (H2, H3) since these things are handled by the host, as it's creating the bullets/projectiles.
Err what? I know some Halo 2 weapons got damage/spread modified in a TU but Halo 3 certainly never did. Did it? Some claim Brute Shot got its damage modified but was always a 3 shot kill weapon in Halo 3. IMO.

GhaleonEB said:

Actually making BTB DLC required would help it tremendously, as of right now i'm getting my BTB style fix in premium battle, the best playlist in the game by far. The maps and gametypes are all awesome in there, a particular favorite being one sided objective games on breakpoint, reminds me of halo 2 style maps as in easy to defend, hard to attack.

Also this may not be popular on halogaf, but going back to halo 3 last night made me appreciate reach's gunplay a hell of a lot more.

wwm0nkey

I say anything is up for grabs in this TU until Frankie or Urk here tells us what is possible and what is not to modify in Halo: Reach (again I would think editing the values of bloom till its gone or not even noticeable would be possible)

EDIT: Also yes 1-50 needs to make a come back with this or a future update.

PNut said:
Wonder if they'll be a real ranking system added in this Title Update? That's the only thing I want added/fixed. 1-50 system with boosters, de-rankers, 2nd, 3rd, 4th accounts, lag-switchers and the rest. I miss it dearly.

Everything else people debate about not being real Halo I've gotten use to or can tolerate until Halo 4.

That's my hope, along with the usual, that the playlists will change to a halo 3-esque ranked/social divide. All those moaning about boosters etc can stay in social, because, well, if you're not playing Arena now you've been playing social exclusively anyway.

oh and HYPEEEEEE!

ncsuDuncan said:
343 has an excellent opportunity here to troll all of us.

Halo: Reach Title Update contents:
- Fall damage removed from Spire.
- One new helmet added, only usable on Highlands and Condemned.
- Stealth addition of Halo 3 Games on Demand as "Classic" mode, launched from the Reach menu.

:p
Kind of forgot about that helmet. I wonder if something that's even in the works.
e313s.jpg

I go into this expecting very little to change my stance on multiplayer (don't like it), but hoping for something magical to suck me in. I am now way more excited by the Classic maps than I was before, that's for sure.

squidhands said:
Kind of forgot about that helmet. I wonder if something that's even in the works.

I go into this expecting very little to change my stance on multiplayer (don't like it), but hoping for something magical to suck me in. I am now way more excited by the Classic maps than I was before, that's for sure.
You know a patch can be bigger than a few MBs nowadays. And it would be a shame, if the helmet were only available at 3-10maps and not for the full Reach experience.

Still my body is ready to read more changes, and I hope that we can try out them at PAX.

wwm0nkey

squidhands said:
BoB.jpg

BS Angel said they are going to talk about that helmet later, so yeah I would say the TU could add it in.

I know its me getting all excited again but I have a feeling this TU is going to be a big one consider how long it has taken for it to actually hit lol

I forgot she said that, so there you go. It seems like Megalo was built in direct correlation to what was done in H3. Nearly all those things could have been patched on the fly if they were problems in Reach, so a TU seems like a pretty big deal for sure. Tentacles crossed for goodness.

wwm0nkey

squidhands said:
I forgot she said that, so there you go. It seems like Megalo was built in direct correlation to what was done in H3. Nearly all those things could have been patched on the fly if they were problems in Reach, so a TU seems like a pretty big deal for sure. Tentacles crossed for goodness.
Yeah a TU is a pretty big thing for Reach and cant wait to see the change list.

Frankie if you read this, just a favor, if you do announce the contents of this update at HaloFest, please post patch release notes soon after lol

Homeboyd

wwm0nkey said:
Yeah a TU is a pretty big thing for Reach and cant wait to see the change list.

Frankie if you read this, just a favor, if you do announce the contents of this update at HaloFest, please post patch release notes soon after lol
They'll be at Comic Con as well so there's a chance we could hear something sooner (if they were waiting for an event to announce something).

kylej

Banned
Gonna place "We need more Invasion maps" right next to "I hope the TU adds Challenges more than anything" and "Skyboxes are worth Halo 4 running at 30fps instead of 60fps" in the 2011 BK Posting Hall of Fame.

kylej said:
Gonna place "We need more Invasion maps" right next to "I hope the TU adds Challenges more than anything" and "Skyboxes are worth Halo 4 running at 30fps instead of 60fps" in the 2011 BK Posting Hall of Fame.

I actually honestly really laughed out loud.

Saying that they made a big deal out of the TU so it must be good doesnt work, because its not the same as the TU being newsworthy for competative players. It would be a huge troll to GAF if the TU simply added that helmet and more armours. The problem is, on GAF we kind of have a list of hopes and expectations, but the general player would probably be excited by a TU with just armours.

Im just being skeptical, and I know the TU will be more than just that if they are talking about fall damage, but I really need to see a on off option for bloom/ individual tweakable values for different weapons (so making the DMR a 4 shot kill doesnt turn nades into nukes)/ the removal of the motion inertia amongst a whole host of other little issues I have with the game before that TU truly excites me.

Playing devils advocate, isnt it really too late for a TU of a grand scale? Most players who have moved on from Reach probably wouldnt even know about the changes? Even if they did would they go back to a year old game when so many newer titles are hitting? Why would the people playing Halo 3 upgrade to Reach now when even post TU its likely that Reach wont hit all the boxes? Dont get me wrong, I appreciate the TU, but I think it should have come sooner.

Reach desperately needs great maps, regardless of the playlist. Zealot and Powerhouse are the only two default maps I actually like, which is such a departure from the previous games that it's not even funny. The DLC has been much better than the default maps, but I haven't really played them that much. It's weird that I love 2/3 of this game, but I have such a difficult time finding the desire to play the other 1/3 that's so popular with just about everyone else here. I guess two outta three isn't such a bad thing, though.

squidhands said:
Reach desperately needs great maps, regardless of the playlist. Zealot and Powerhouse are the only two default maps I actually like, which is such a departure from the previous games that it's not even funny. The DLC has been much better than the default maps, but I haven't really played them that much. It's weird that I love 2/3 of this game, but I have such a difficult time finding the desire to play the other 1/3 that's so popular with just about everyone else here. I guess two outta three isn't such a bad thing, though.
What's end up going to be sad about Reach is that nearly half of its maps will end up being remakes. :(

Also, I agree that 343 shouldn't waste its time with more Invasion maps.

Homeboyd said:
They'll be at Comic Con as well so there's a chance we could hear something sooner (if they were waiting for an event to announce something).
Comic-Con is more for the fiction and not for game details in my opinion.

squidhands said:

Powerhouse! Forgot about that one, that and countdown are the only good maps that shipped with reach, but like i said earlier at least the DLC has been excellent imo.

ElzarTheBam said:
Powerhouse! Forgot about that one, that and countdown are the only good maps that shipped with reach, but like i said earlier at least the DLC has been excellent imo.
I've never played Countdown with a team of people that I knew (damned randoms), so I've never had an enjoyable game on the map. I guess my enjoyment is directly associated with my k/d of the map, lol

Countdown: 0.85
Powerhouse: 1.47
Zealot: 1.53

Karl2177

Woorloog said:
You can shoot through Forge walls with the Gauss cannon. I remember when GAF was big on classic customs, Devin Olsen joined and left immediately after getting killed through the wall.

squidhands said:
I've never played Countdown with a team of people that I knew (damned randoms), so I've never had an enjoyable game on the map. I guess my enjoyment is directly associated with my k/d of the map, lol

Countdown: 0.85
Powerhouse: 1.47
Zealot: 1.53

Playing anything with randoms is frustrating at best. 4 v 4 CTF on countdown is intense!

Woorloog

Banned
Karl2177 said:
You can shoot through Forge walls with the Gauss cannon. I remember when GAF was big on classic customs, Devin Olsen joined and left immediately after getting killed through the wall.
Incredible.... I guess that's the reason Gauss Hog is not in MM. Firepower cannot be the reason, the tank, Banshee and Fuel Rod are in...

Top Bottom