• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Dax01 said:
Man. Armor Lock can be a lot of fun when you're using it to screw around. And the other two guys in your party are using it exclusively too.

Nothing says good gameplay mechanic like "it isn't horrible when you are screwing around" haha

I wish the Drake 3 beta would work :(

Homeboyd

Ramirez said:
TU?

slater.gif
Possibly the greatest .gif of all time.

343 has an excellent opportunity here to troll all of us.

Halo: Reach Title Update contents:
- Fall damage removed from Spire.
- One new helmet added, only usable on Highlands and Condemned.
- Stealth addition of Halo 3 Games on Demand as "Classic" mode, launched from the Reach menu.

:p

Ramirez

Letters said:
What is Megalo?? Who has access to it?? How does it look and work??

I believe it's how they created all of those stupid new gametypes like speedpile. Only the devs have access to it...

Hey You

Letters said:
What is Megalo?? Who has access to it?? How does it look and work??
-Reach Scripting Tool for creating and modifying gametypes (brought us 2 flag slayer,rocket race hog etc).
-Bungie and 343i.
-No idea.

GhaleonEB

I hope 343 takes the opportunity to fix existing glitches, in addition to expanding custom options. Namely:

• The Forge file overwrite glitch, which deletes maps and replaces their content with another.
  • The vehicle physics glitches, mostly with the Revenant and Wraith.
  • The Firefight Round completion criteria; if completed with less than 10 seconds on the clock, the game ends rather than entering the bonus round.
  • Objects changing position by one degree in Forge after placement.

Also, I would like a pony.

MrBig

Ramirez said:
I believe it's how they created all of those stupid new gametypes like speedpile. Only the devs have access to it...
It's the scripting system used to create all the gametypes in reach. It was designed to make iterating on gametype ideas easier while in development and was planned and is being used to script and push new gametypes out post launch.

Homeboyd

Thoughts on 343 tinkering with Arena (or replacing it with a new system all together)? Gotta be one of the bigger ticket items if community discussion was a source for inspiration.

Side note: I'll blindly throw money at the first mention of a new Forge World.

Feels like Christmas up in hurr.

wwm0nkey said:
Hey guys what was the map that we played in customs where it was warthogs going down a slope really fast?
Nascar? I've seen several different versions.

Tawpgun

Homeboyd said:
Thoughts on 343 tinkering with Arena (or replacing it with a new system all together)? Gotta be one of the bigger ticket items if community discussion was a source for inspiration.

Literally, just make Arena Divisions visible in all playlists.

Or, take it further, since Arena is based on Win Loss heavily, put divisions in every playlists.

Kibbles

So I'm just catching up. Title Update? O_O Do we have to wait until August though?

My body is ready.

[edit] Saw the entire update on FUD, for whatever reason the halo waypoint site doesn't load the full update. HYPE GET. Bring back classic weapons for the classic maps to, k? I'm definitely not expecting new weapons, just tweaks like they mentioned and getting rid of bloom, but just thinking about the return of the BR and Halo 1 Pistol since we are supposedly getting remakes from all the Halo games with HCEA gets me all hot and bothered inside.

Homeboyd

A27 Tawpgun said:
Literally, just make Arena Divisions visible in all playlists.

Or, take it further, since Arena is based on Win Loss heavily, put divisions in every playlists.
Word.

I'm still not a fan of the fact that it resets (even though they did listen and extend the season to 3 months). Not sure the 'highest rank achieved' would work unless they used percentages...

PNut

Banned
Wonder if they'll be a real ranking system added in this Title Update? That's the only thing I want added/fixed. 1-50 system with boosters, de-rankers, 2nd, 3rd, 4th accounts, lag-switchers and the rest. I miss it dearly.

Everything else people debate about not being real Halo I've gotten use to or can tolerate until Halo 4.

darthbob

PNut said:
Wonder if they'll be a real ranking system added in this Title Update? That's the only thing I want added/fixed. 1-50 system with boosters, de-rankers, 2nd, 3rd, 4th accounts, lag-switchers and the rest. I miss it dearly.
Everything else people debate about not being real Halo I've gotten use to or can tolerate until Halo 4.

Ahh...just like the good 'ol days.

MrBig

Jroderton said:
Why is that exactly?
A gamemode with a set playstyle and a repetitive gameplay cycle and a low population does not warrant another map thrown at it. The gametype failed. One more map wont save it, and it will detract from maps that are needed elsewhere.

Havok

MrBig said:
A gamemode with a set playstyle and a repetitive gameplay cycle and a low population does not warrant another map thrown at it. The gametype failed. One more map wont save it, and it will detract from maps that are needed elsewhere.
Also, it stabbed Big Team in the back with its bad, comically oversized maps and watched it slowly bleed to death.

J-Roderton

MrBig said:

I suppose I should have worded my first post differently. I agree that more maps would not save the playlist but more maps seemed like something I would have welcomed because I play quite a few Invasion games. Honestly I would play more games in that playlist if new maps were added. The ones we have just get extremely stale to me playing them over and over. Overall it's just a gametype that I personally wished would have turned out better than it did.

Hey You

MrBig said:
So since Slayer has the highest population, only DLC maps should be created with slayer in mind?

GhaleonEB

Frustrated with yesterday's attempts on Nightfall, I completed the weekly Challenge tonight on Winter Contingency. I sprinted/drove through every battle until the trooper defense, and plowed through the interior sequence in about 45 seconds. I had all of 18 seconds to spare when I hit the switch; the initial landing in the Falcon, the trip over to the communications outpost and waiting for the door to close/next area open took nearly three minutes. Close but doable - but even one death would have tanked it.

This was a rather satisfying Wraith take down from just a bit ago.

While looking at the film, this angle made me look like I had the Super Deluxe Big Head edition of the blue flames. I found it amusing.

reach_19774770_Full.jpg

Jroderton said:
I suppose I should have worded my first post differently. I agree that more maps would not save the playlist but more maps seemed like something I would have welcomed because I play quite a few Invasion games. Honestly I would play more games in that playlist if new maps were added. The ones we have just get extremely stale to me playing them over and over. Overall it's just a gametype that I personally wished would have turned out better than it did.
The problem with Invasion is, Invasion maps don't make good maps for other game types on. The one mode requires massive amounts of resources to support, which left maps for what had been Halo's staple modes starved for content. A map that can play well for Slayer, CTF and Assault will be much more valuable to the community as a whole and a better investment of resources.

FyreWulff

We need another Invasion map. Breakpoint is the map that Invasion should have shipped with as it's featured map. I want to see another one. We already had a map pack with a map that was usable in even less modes than Breakpoint.

Breakpoint could make sense in more gametypes, but it'd require someone to rig up a separate version for each gametype.

The last time I played Highlands or Condemned was over a month ago in matchmaking. I've played the Noble maps numerous times since then.

It's a shame too that at this point, we'll probably never be getting community Invasion maps, and because of that we still don't have an updated version of Invasion to use with FW maps because the updated Invasion variants are locked to Breakpoint, Boneyard and Spire.

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:
We need another Invasion map. Breakpoint is the map that Invasion should have shipped with as it's featured map. I want to see another one. We already had a map pack with a map that was usable in even less modes than Breakpoint.

Breakpoint could make sense in more gametypes, but it'd require someone to rig up a separate version for each gametype.
Thing is, we're getting six remake maps from the series past; I doubt we'll see any DLC beyond them. So the question is, what remakes would also make good Invasion maps? Maybe Waterworks, due to its size and flow, and perhaps Headlong, but I can't think of any others.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've been frustrated and unmotivated in Matchmaking lately, so decided to give Firefight another shot, and holy crap. So awesome.

It's especially good in local co-op. I babysit two brothers (10 and 12 years old), and despite their vast love for Halo, they're not so good at it. So, to make it fun for them while also a good challenge for me, we play Versus Firefight. Me as a Spartan, them as Elites, difficulty on Heroic. They totally destroy me, and we're all grinning the entire time.

The cooperative gametypes are great, too. We've had some amazing runs in Firefight Classic and Generator Defense. The sense of survival and the necessity of team work make it an awesome experience.

FyreWulff

I could see forging Headlong into an Invasion map very easily.

Headlong Invasion: Spartans defending, Elites attacking

Phase 1 - Open access to apartments

Elites attempt to bomb open the door to apartments (or whatever people called the multi story structure to the left). The defense building and bridge sides are completely shut off from access.

Phase 2 - Reactivate Power Generators

Elites attempt to capture the power generators on both sides of the top of the defense building. They spawn in both the Apartments and the Camo spawn, and have Generators on both sides to capture. Once the power generator is activated..

Phase 3 - Capture Data Core

A core spawns in the top level of the defense structure. Could put it in the same spot as the flag for 1 Flag in Halo 2 if you really wanted to. Activating the power generators makes the crane swing over and let Elites use the I-beam as a bridge into the base.

The Elite core capture point would either be back near the sea somewhere on the road, or up on the Septagon statue structure where a Phantom is waiting.

This is just one of the ways you could make an Invasion map out of Headlong.

Hey You

A friend told me of a glitch for the weekly, when you get to a later checkpoint near the end of the mission or close 12 minutes, save and quit and start from the checkpoint. The Time will reset back to zero, challenge done.

Trasher

Ramirez said:
Man, you're full of so much hate. No way they tease a TU without major changes, no point to it.
There's zero hate in my posts. I'm happy they are taking a stab at it, but who says that any feasible changes to the game will actually improve it? I'm just being realistic so that I'm not disappointed when the changes do occur. I'm not a naive teenager anymore that will immediately believe one update with zero information is going to cure all my Halo woes. Obviously it sounds like there will be major changes, but just because there are major changes doesn't mean the game will suddenly be amazing.

I enjoy your optimism Ram, but not you, or anyone else here, can tell me for sure that this title update will improve the game. I'm not saying it won't, my point is just that we don't know yet. We have no information of any changes to go off of (other than no fall damage which means jetpackers get a buff lawl). You and I, over the course of the Halo series, have always talked about simple things that could be done in the games to improve their gameplay, and yet as simple as the ideas were they were never implemented. It's hard for me to keep being optimistic about certain changes (that are popularly discussed in this thread) that have never come about before.

The only hate I'm full of is when I currently play Reach and don't enjoy it. So I do look forward to see the changes 343 has in store for us, and I also look forward to a hopefully improved Halo Reach. I will not praise anyone though until I experience, or at least read, the supposed improvements myself.

I swear to god people here always count their chickens before they hatch when it comes to these damn games lol.

GhaleonEB said:
The problem with Invasion is, Invasion maps don't make good maps for other game types on. The one mode requires massive amounts of resources to support, which left maps for what had been Halo's staple modes starved for content. A map that can play well for Slayer, CTF and Assault will be much more valuable to the community as a whole and a better investment of resources.
QFT

Top Bottom