• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

MrBig

A new FW/Headlong that looks like this
ih_monassas+jetpack02b.jpg

Halo-Reach-Postcards-6-Exodus-5.jpg

5734602702_abb6e49479_b.jpg

Hopefull this TU is dropping in August and not right before or on CEA's release.

Also, I think everyone needs to take a deep breath and rein in their expectations for the TU. I know everyone got excited because I think most of us didn't expect a TU at this point, but people are talking about removal of bloom from the base Reach gameplay, bringing back 1-50, improving framerate in Forge World...most of these things are the definition of pipe dreams IMO.

The TU will improve the game without a doubt, but some of these suggestions are pretty wild, it's still going to be Reach.

Kuroyume said:
Is this update only going to effect the people who either by Anniversary or download the DLC? So essentially you have to pay to see anything new? Or, is it going to change stuff for vanilla Reach too?

Requests for title update:

- Remove bloom
- Beef up the pistol (damage, rate of fire, and clip size)
- Severly nerf the AR (destroy its range and weaken the damage)
- Increase player movement speed
- Nerf vehicles (Banshee and tank in particular)
- Restore all weapons to their beta settings
- Flag juggling
pretty much what I want

Hey You

I'm surprised at how much is going on 343i right now with TU,CEA and 4 not to mention the other stuff like novels and other content with waypoint.

wwm0nkey said:
Still better than this pile of crap lol
Prowler_Render.gif
It was so easy to splatter people in that bad boy :/

I wish beachhead was a multiplayer map....

edit- Nerfing the AR is a bad idea. AR is a part of Halo, it always will be, and it serves its purpose. The AR starts are the problem. NOT the AR as a weapon.

GhaleonEB

Options I'd like to see added:

• Shield system: Classic vs. Reach (melee damage pass through)
  • Damage variables: independent toggles for grenade, melee, weapon damage
  • Vehicle Health: Classic (linked to player), Reach
  • Movement: Classic (removes player inertia), Reach

If bloom goes away, I'd like to see the DMR and Nerfle scopes reduced to 2x from 3x to limit their range.

A27_StarWolf said:

edit- Nerfing the AR is a bad idea. AR is a part of Halo, it always will be, and it serves its purpose. The AR starts are the problem. NOT the AR as a weapon.

What should be done is the Magnum should recieve a significant boost, but since balance in the last couple of Halo games has been all about nerfing all the weapons to make them 'balanced' a nerfed AR would be better than nothing at all changed between the AR and Magnum.

Also regardless of the Magnum's power, if the game is adjusted in some way that you can't just blow right through DMR bloom, that makes the AR stronger in the sandbox without even touching the AR.

GhaleonEB said:

If bloom goes away, I'd like to see the DMR and Nerfle scopes reduced to 2x from 3x to limit their range.

The nerfle has a 2x scope now. It's just the DMR with the 3x.

GhaleonEB said:

That sounds pretty reasonable, I'm not sure what they are going to do about bloom. I think that you have to leave it on the automatic weapons right?

how about BOOST THE PLASMA REPEATER POWER PEOPLE? I still love that gun anyways :p.

actually, DMR should get a 2x, Nerfle should get 3x. That sounds fair.

I have a solution for the Banshee, weaken the bombs, strengthen the bolts.

GhaleonEB said:

Sounds fair. Although something tells me that bloom won't be going away any time soon even with a TU. If they went ahead and made the crouch shot bloom the standard I'd be a happy camper but even that I feel may be a longshot at best. Either way it will be interesting to see how much an impact these changes will have on the game.

A27_StarWolf said:
I'm only cool with the flipping if they strengthen the Banshee health, its made out of tin foil >.>
fair enough. I just want to use anti-vehicle weapons on them again, instead of wasting a sniper.

thezerofire said:
fair enough. I just want to use anti-vehicle weapons on them again, instead of wasting a sniper.

The sniper doing damage against vehicles really bugs me, I would like to see that get fixed.

While we are at it, how about we increase the strength of the laser :D

I honestly thought the Spartan Laser was one of the best additions to Halo, at least I had a ton of fun with it. Then Halo Reach came around and it never gets used.

Woorloog

Banned
1: I've never gotten this inertia thing. To me, Halo CE movement always felt like you were walking on ice, Halo 2 had good movement, Halo 3 didn't seem to be different from Halo 2 much, if at all, and Reach feels just slower than Halo 3 (if default speed, higher speed start feeling wrong in all games). Am i missing something?

2: Title update or just playlist manager should change the way credits are given.
Nothing for time (to fight AFKers), only performance and winning. And winning should be far more important source of credits than performance. Oh and the loser gets only performance based credits and some for finishing the game. Quitting should reduce credits by some amount, say, equal to the winning bounty.
Winning should be meaningfull, as to reduce griefing. Oh and maybe give more credits for winning fast, ie game that lasts 7 minutes rather than 10 would give more, and this amount should be of course large enough that winning fast is better than winning slow and performing well.

My opinion of course... And i didn't say it's possible, just how i wish the reward system worked.

A27_StarWolf said:
The sniper doing damage against vehicles really bugs me, I would like to see that get fixed.

I honestly thought the Spartan Laser was one of the best additions to Halo, at least I had a ton of fun with it. Then Halo Reach came around and it never gets used.
I don't think I've seen the laser in months, outside of Splockets

Woorloog said:
1: I've never gotten this inertia thing. To me, Halo CE movement always felt like you were walking on ice, Halo 2 had good movement, Halo 3 didn't seem to be different from Halo 2 much, if at all, and Reach feels just slower than Halo 3. Am i missing something?
I think it has to do with the ability to strafe. In Reach you can't change direction as quickly, so you can't strafe really.

Havok

thezerofire said:
I don't think I've seen the laser in months, outside of Splockets
Good. Exploding without warning (because that tracer is impossible to see in many cases) is not fun. At least with tracking stuff you get an audible clue (beeping with rockets/missile pod in 2/3, plasma launcher warmup sound).

Woorloog said:
1: I've never gotten this inertia thing. To me, Halo CE movement always felt like you were walking on ice, Halo 2 had good movement, Halo 3 didn't seem to be different from Halo 2 much, if at all, and Reach feels just slower than Halo 3 (if default speed, higher speed start feeling wrong in all games). Am i missing something?

2: Title update or just playlist manager should change the way credits are given.
Nothing for time (to fight AFKers), only performance and winning. And winning should be far more important source of credits than performance. Oh and the loser gets only performance based credits and some for finishing the game. Quitting should reduce credits by some amount, say, equal to the winning bounty.
Winning should be meaningfull, as to reduce griefing. Oh and maybe give more credits for winning fast, ie game that lasts 7 minutes rather than 10 would give more, and this amount should be of course large enough that winning fast is better than winning slow and performing well.

My opinion of course... And i didn't say it's possible, just how i wish the reward system worked.

the new movement system might look better, but it impacts strafing, jumping, skill jumps, etc.

Havok said:
Good. Exploding without warning (because that tracer is impossible to see in many cases) is not fun. At least with tracking stuff you get an audible clue (beeping with rockets/missile pod in 2/3, plasma launcher warmup sound).

Oh please, Rockets are only slightly more noticeable, just like the Laser and Rockets the only way to really avoid them is to see them get fired/ about to fire.

How do you feel about the Sniper Rifle, by that logic you must hate that, it has even less warning, and you can even zoom in even more.

Louis Wu

A27_StarWolf said:
I'm only cool with the flipping if they strengthen the Banshee health, its made out of tin foil >.>
Only the ones I fly are made of tin foil. If someone ELSE gets in, they're made of titanium.

A27_StarWolf said:

I think Beachhead is a great example of a map that could work for BTB and Invasion. BTB as in a symmetrical map with bases at the point were you get dropped of by the Falcon in Exodus and the other base at the other side of the map.

Invasion would be much like the campaign part itself, spartans starting at the beach, trying to activate and capture the missle launchers and at the last phase, capturing a territory to activate the missle launcers.

Throw in some vehicles like te wraith, warthog(not the Rocket hog!) and perhaps even a falcon and you could have a fun Invasion map.

Havok said:
or they could just make the tracer easier to see?

and like StarWolf said, what about snipers?

Havok

A27_StarWolf said:
Oh please, Rockets are only slightly more noticeable, just like the Laser and Rockets the only way to really avoid them is to see them get fired/ about to fire.

How do you feel about the Sniper Rifle, by that logic you must hate that.
I absolutely hate the Sniper's anti-vehicle stuff (What, did you expect me to side with that? I'm consistent in my criticism). In Halo 3, the lock-on sound was loud as shit, and the projectiles moved slowly (as the Plasma Launcher does; do people actually have an issue with that weapon? It seems fine to me). You had time to get behind something to block the shot, as evidenced by Banshee use on Valhalla. It wasn't pixel-thin tracer that didn't even need to be near you until the last second, then an instantaneous explosion. I had less of an issue with it in 3, but Reach's tracer is less noticable (I wonder if the color is less vibrant, or if the lighting of the charge-up process doesn't show up at distance).
thezerofire said:
or they could just make the tracer easier to see?

and like StarWolf said, what about snipers?
That's one solution, yeah. Like I said, less of an issue in 3, but on maps like Renegade, you can be lasered without ever knowing someone has the damn thing.

Booties said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww8QjK7VvdI

This should help you get better at countdown. Consider this a free lesson.
Grats on the perfection, but I think that video just once again demonstrates how much armor abilities ruin Reach more than they enhance it. Sprint makes certain power weapons like the sword that much more powerful. Not trying to knock you or anything, I just can't stand sprint and wanted to rant. I know a lot of people hate the jetpack, but in my opinion, sprint is equally bad.

Havok said:
I absolutely hate the Sniper's anti-vehicle stuff. In Halo 3, the lock-on sound was loud as shit, and the projectiles moved slowly (as the Plasma Launcher does; do people actually have an issue with that weapon? It seems fine to me). You had time to get behind something to block the shot, as evidenced by Banshee use on Valhalla. It wasn't pixel-thin tracer that didn't even need to be near you until the last second, then an instantaneous explosion. I had less of an issue with it in 3, but Reach's tracer is less noticable (I wonder if the color is less vibrant).

That's one solution, yeah. Like I said, less of an issue in 3, but on maps like Renegade, you can be lasered without ever knowing someone has the damn thing.

TU, fix tracer. However I also refer to maps like tempest, I wonder how a laser might play on that. I'm so glad highlands has one.

Woorloog

Banned
Ah, strafing has felt always a tad slow in Halo 3 (and Reach), can't remember about Halo 2.
Well i agree to making strafing work well. I'm bad enough strafer as it is... :p

Banshees are rather easy to bring down if one's team doesn't consist dumbfucks like my teams do. Just shoot it with DMRs. I play BTB every now and then with my friend and we tend to be the only ones to shoot the Banshee... If everyone who could joined us, the Banshee wouldn't be such an issue.

I would like to see Banshee nerfed though.

I hope 343 learns from Bungie's mistakes and doesn't incorporate campaign, multiplayer, and Firefight space across modes. No spaces taken from campaign to be used in multiplayer, and vice versa.

I don't like FF maps being taken from campaign because they, like MP spaces, I feel, hurt the campaign's replayability.

Woorloog said:
Ah, strafing has felt always a tad slow in Halo 3 (and Reach), can't remember about Halo 2.
Well i agree to making strafing work well. I'm bad enough strafer as it is... :p

Banshees are rather easy to bring down if one's team doesn't consist dumbfucks like my teams do. Just shoot it with DMRs. I play BTB every now and then with my friend and we tend to be the only ones to shoot the Banshee... If everyone who could joined us, the Banshee wouldn't be such an issue.

You should watch SK strafe in Halo 3. The man is a beast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I56zwYXLNsM

Woorloog said:

Strafing in H2 was much stronger than it is in H3 and Reach. Reach couldn't certainly use a better strafe considering the use of hitscan, single shot weapons that are not very difficult to use.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Dax01 said:
I hope 343 learns from Bungie's mistakes and doesn't incorporate campaign, multiplayer, and Firefight. No spaces taken from campaign to be used in multiplayer, and vice versa.

I don't like FF maps being taken from campaign because they, like MP spaces, I feel, hurt the campaign's replayability.

Bungie have expressed regret at making that decision. I doubt 343 will repeat it.

Dax01 said:
I hope 343 learns from Bungie's mistakes and doesn't incorporate campaign, multiplayer, and Firefight. No spaces taken from campaign to be used in multiplayer, and vice versa.

It kinda made campaign just feel like a bunch of firefight missions too

Woorloog said:
Holy... Strafing been always an issue for me in Halo 3/Reach (can't still remember about two, probably was bad strafer back then too). I win either by brute force (as much as that's possible with BR/DMR) or luck.
I need to try to learn that strafe...
I think it's a combination of higher speed for MLG and moving the stick halfway to the edge each time. I could watch that clip forever though.

edit: it could be also from the person filming also strafing

Booties

Banned
Alright boys it's time to get serious, bunker down, and play hours and hours of halo today. Gotta get back into arena too. Message Booties, I think tawpgun's on already.

Tawpgun

Booties said:
Alright boys it's time to get serious, bunker down, and play hours and hours of halo today. Gotta get back into arena too. Message Booties, I think tawpgun's on already.
I'll be on later today for Arena. I'm close to breaking into Onyx.

A27_StarWolf said:

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOO NOPE.

Spartan Laser in Reach is FINE as it is, if anything they should just remove it and pretend it never happened. Like people have said, it was annoying to just explode for no reason with no way to dodge it. In Reach the Laser got a shot removed and requires the user to be more accurate. If they want to keep the laser make that target painter have a LOUD AS HELL sound and be crazy visible.

I hated the Laser in H3, it borderlined ruined BTB because instead of the cool vehicle, infantry interplay that was in H2 and H1 BTB, all H3 BTB maps devolved into Laser control. It was not a fun weapon to be used against you.

A27_StarWolf said:

How do you feel about the Sniper Rifle, by that logic you must hate that, it has even less warning, and you can even zoom in even more.

Actually no, the rockets took time to travel and made a very audible sound if they were near you. The best thing about the rockets is they weren't point and shoot. You needed to make sure you had an adequate shot, and the vehicle user COULD dodge it if he caught it early enough and was good. The Rockets requires skill on the rocket user and the vehicle user.

Laser is no skill at all. Only the Reach Banshee can dodge that thing with its insane flips.

The sniper rifle is annoying, but you won't die in one fucking hit by it.

A27_StarWolf said:

A sniper rifle should be able to stop a 'hog with a single shot to the engine and snipe people out of their seats, and maybe be able to totally disable the turret after a few direct hits. What it shouldn't be able to do is knock around a gigantic armored vehicle with every hit or blow it up after a couple of shots. I absolutely hate what's been done to the now wafer-thin skin of the Warthog, and a lot of other vehicles in Reach.

No comment on the Spartan Laser .

Why does BS Angel imply that no fall damage is somehow "classic"? The most classic Halo had fall damage and health packs, just like Reach. It'll be great if we're given more tools to adjust game settings though, but I have to wonder...if it was feasible, why didn't Bungie do it?

Tawpgun

One more thing about weapon - vehicle balance. Get rid of the DMR flipping hogs with bullets shit. The Reach warthog is floaty and bouncy enough. Shoot a DMR bullet and for some reason it can flip over. It was in Halo 3 and its even worse in Reach.

HiredN00bs said:
Why does BS Angel imply that no fall damage is somehow "classic"? The most classic Halo had fall damage and health packs, just like Reach. It'll be great if we're given more tools to adjust game settings though, but I have to wonder...if it was feasible, why didn't Bungie do it?

Yeah that kind of bothered me as well. They talk of options to make the game more like CE, and then mention removing fall damage. It was odd.

kylej

Banned
Booties said:

I'm working bro. Then gotta hit the gym. Then work on motorcycle.

Then Phils/Sox where we'll both be busy.

Then I will wape. (go eat cheesesteaks for 5 hours I'll be on tonight)

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
HiredN00bs said:

"Classic" Halo is not a single game or a specific Halo game's particular settings.

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah that kind of bothered me as well. They talk of options to make the game more like CE, and then mention removing fall damage. It was odd.

Classic =/= CE

GhaleonEB

HiredN00bs said:
Everyone has a different definition of classic. What game is the reference point? Halo 2 and Halo 3 did not feature fall damage at all. Many of the map designs in those games would play very differently if fall damage was in (Headlong, Terminal and Relic pop to mind).

Given that not all of the remake maps are coming from Halo 1, settings need to be in place so that the maps from 2/3 can be played under settings to accomodate. Fall damage is one of them.
HiredN00bs said:
Actually, that's exactly what it is.
Wrong. It is to you. It is not to me; my reference point is Halo 3. For many others, it's Halo 2. And maps will likely be drawn from all three games.

Top Bottom