• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Hey You

Kunohara said:
So a good friend of mine is turning 30 this Aug, and with this recently popping up, I thought "Awesome. I get one of these for him, and it will blow his fucking mind."

"Excluded Countries: Canada"

FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING CUNTS. I can ship this to fucking Angora and yet not in Canada?

Fuck you.
Woah, chill.

It was put excluded to Canada because of the Postal strike we had. Its over now, simply email Bungie customer service and inquire about shipping to Canada now. Just don't use the tone you used above, you'll most likely get ignored.

Striker

thee henery said:
The formula is ok but why have it for only one playlist? Agree that your rank needs to be immediately visible.

I'm still not sure why it's such a wild suggestion given how it would be one of the easier things to do in a TU, plus Frankie said the changes would appease the hardcore complainers - lack of a decent ranking system has been a big complaint from day one.
I would have it for FFA, Team Slayer, Team Objective, BTB, and MLG. But oh well.

The TU will mainly be set for their classic experience they plan on bringing in for Halo: CEA and its maps. For other gameplay stuff for basic Reach, they could start by nerfing the Banshee bomb and its dodging maneuvers. I'm not expecting much heavy stuff, re: bloom removal entirely, as it would break the game without the weapon damage being altered.

Bringing the Arena ranking to the front-set could be done without a TU, I imagine, though I am not sure they'll add any other ratings for other playlists. I'd wait for Halo 4 for them to implement their own unique ideas.

Louis Wu

GhaleonEB said:
I've been very interested in this kind of thing for a while now, so thanks for doing it. Though, I also didn't understand that aspect of the data above.
One thing I noticed was that in his ranking list, he used a comma instead of a period (standard european notation); I only figured it out because his base value for Colonel Grade 1 is listed as 17,000 in one place, and 17 in another.

Might make more sense with that tidbit. :)

O D I N

thezerofire said:
what's the gist of it?

There's a guy on blue team maybe '2 feet' away from a red team alien with the laser charging, and the guy isn't looking at him.

"OBLIVIOUS

He's bright red, a giant alien, charging a red laser that makes a high pitched noise when charging. Yeah, I'd miss that too."

Donat

Neo Member
Woorloog said:
And a fraction of base value is used for the calculation or...?

No, not a fraction. It's RANK (base value, which is cR/min for a certain rank) * PLAYLIST * TIME for GAME COMPLETE.

GhaleonEB said:
I've been very interested in this kind of thing for a while now, so thanks for doing it. Though, I also didn't understand that aspect of the data above.

Do you have the max Game Complete Bonus for each Rank documented? I think that would be the easiest way to convey the way the bonus scales for each Rank. At my current rank (Noble) the cap is 4238. The prior rank cap was 3853, and the one before that 3503 (IIRC, my spreadsheet is at home). I think those numbers would be more easy to understand alongside the ranks listed.

There is no real max Game Complete Bonus. The only limiting thing here is the time spent in a match. If Bungie implemented gametypes with 60 minute time limits you would probably get 37,845 cR * 5,6 (or 7,3 on a Noble/Defiant map) * 60min = 12717 cR (16578 cR)

Louis Wu said:
One thing I noticed was that in his ranking list, he used a comma instead of a period (standard european notation); I only figured it out because his base value for Colonel Grade 1 is listed as 17,000 in one place, and 17 in another.

Thanks. Changed it.

GhaleonEB

Louis Wu said:

Right, I didn't catch what that number meant at first. I just now saw the "cR/min" at the header. Now it makes more sense.

To get to the max Game Complete Bonus - which is the what distinguishes each rank in terms of credit accumulation - you need to multiply each number by the competetive playlist pace of 5.6 and again by 20 minutes to get there (doing that for my rank results in a match to my current cap). With that in mind I can convert them and see get what I'm want out of it. :)

Donat said:
There is no real max Game Complete Bonus. The only limiting thing here is the time spent in a match. If Bungie implemented gametypes with 60 minute time limits you would probably get 37,845 cR * 5,6 (or 7,3 on a Noble/Defiant map) * 60min = 12717 cR (16578 cR)
This is not true. A good litmus test is the Firefight Doubles playlist, where Arcadefight has a 20 minute timer and Limited has a 30 minute. Playing to the full time limit of each game type results in the max Game Complete payout of 4238 cR for me (Noble Rank). I hit the cap at the 20 minute mark and it does not progress further beyond it. It is capped.

FyreWulff

Please keep Arena ratings out of other playlists. The reason Bungie changed it from the Ranked/Social paradigm from Halo 3 is that the Ranked/Social setup forces a playlist into a certain hole and forces duplication of popular playlists, pointlessly splitting the population even though both are using TS to match.

Add to the fact that adding ranking removes guests (a big draw for Halo) and larger-than-team-size parties, and you'd see Objective drop to about 30 population and be deleted within a month if it was ever ranked again.

It's like everyone has forgotten how much ranks-from-other-lists being displayed everywhere created a gigantic boosting/cheating black market in Halo 2 and 3. Reach hasn't had that problem. Let's keep it that way.

There's also the fact that 1-50 in Halo 3 is different than 1-50 would be in Reach (a lot less stable and it'd lock you sooner).

Donat

Neo Member
GhaleonEB said:
This is not true. A good litmus test is the Firefight Doubles playlist, where Arcadefight has a 20 minute timer and Limited has a 30 minute. Playing to the full time limit of each game type results in the max Game Complete payout of 4238 cR for me (Noble Rank). I hit the cap at the 20 minute mark and it does not progress further beyond it. It is capped.

There is a limiting time cap in certain playlists, it's mentioned in the text. Firefight has a 20min cap, Campaign a 10min time cap and MM Campaign a 1:15h time cap.
Play MM Campaign for over 75 minutes and you will get 7953 cR.

FyreWulff said:
Please keep Arena ratings out of other playlists. The reason Bungie changed it from the Ranked/Social paradigm from Halo 3 is that the Ranked/Social setup forces a playlist into a certain hole and forces duplication of popular playlists, pointlessly splitting the population even though both are using TS to match.

Add to the fact that adding ranking removes guests (a big draw for Halo) and larger-than-team-size parties, and you'd see Objective drop to about 30 population and be deleted within a month if it was ever ranked again.

It's like everyone has forgotten how much ranks-from-other-lists being displayed everywhere created a gigantic boosting/cheating black market in Halo 2 and 3. Reach hasn't had that problem. Let's keep it that way.

There's also the fact that 1-50 in Halo 3 is different than 1-50 would be in Reach (a lot less stable and it'd lock you sooner).
even with the black market, you generally knew someone with a 45 was better than someone with a 25. Now you can be Noble or some high rank and still be absolute shit.

FyreWulff

That's because you're confusing Military Ranks as Skill Ranks when they were never meant to be an indicator of skill in either Halo 3 or Reach (Bungie's own words). It's possible to hit Inheritor without ever touching multiplayer.

Military rank is a "longevity" indicator.

edit: this is also why they unhooked military rank from skill rank in Reach. You were punished in 3 in terms of your military rank if you were a campaign player or a social slayer player. The playlist ranks in TU2 were an attempt to fix this as much as they could in the Halo 3 framework.

Now thats its win/loss I don't get why they haven't thrown MLG into the Arena and given it seasons.

Yea but removing guests from all the playlists to make it ranked would suck and making duplicate unranked/ranked would suck more.

GhaleonEB

Donat said:
There is a limiting time cap in certain playlists, it's mentioned in the text. Firefight has a 20min cap, Campaign a 10min time cap and MM Campaign a 1:15h time cap.
Play MM Campaign for over 75 minutes and you will get 7953 cR.
I understand that. Please re-read the post you wrote and which I responded to. You said, "There is no real max Game Complete Bonus. The only limiting thing here is the time spent in a match." That is not true. The limitation is the cap per rank per playlist.

FyreWulff

xxjuicesxx said:
Now thats its win/loss I don't get why they haven't thrown MLG into the Arena and given it seasons.

Yea but removing guests from all the playlists to make it ranked would suck and making duplicate unranked/ranked would suck more.

I believe this is up to MLG if they want an arena rating. MLG had/has total control over their H3 and Reach playlists, Bungie just acts as a technical consultant.

Donat

Neo Member
GhaleonEB said:
I understand that. Please re-read the post you wrote and which I responded to. You said, "ere is no real max Game Complete Bonus. The only limiting thing here is the time spent in a match." That is not true. The limitation is the cap per rank per playlist.

Oh, ok. Now I see what you meant, sorry for misreading. But the example you gave is only the exception, as it only applies for Firefight. My statement is still true for multiplayer.

Louis Wu

GhaleonEB said:
I understand that. Please re-read the post you wrote and which I responded to. You said, "There is no real max Game Complete Bonus. The only limiting thing here is the time spent in a match." That is not true. The limitation is the cap per rank per playlist.
I'm not sure I understand what you're arguing about.

Yes, every rank has a fixed multiplier - but that's not a limitation, it's just a multiplier. What he was saying that the reason there's a cap is because matchmaking games have a time limit. If they didn't, you'd get more credits.

So your rank multiplier is NOT a cap - it just sets where you start. Time is the limiting factor.

Hitmonchan107 said:
He says, that Bungie don't ship internationally, but I haven't gotten a cancellation yet. Things I know, that there are some problems with post strikes in Canada. If packages get lost because of these strikes, people will blame Bungie for it. So I can understand it. Otherwise Bungie could say: "There is some problems at your country right now, because of post strikes. So there will be a delay with your order. Do you still want the package?"

Does anyone know, if the other 20th anniversary orders got cancelled, too?

FyreWulff said:

1st bolded: Oh please, both use TS but the two playlists couldn't be more different. When there's an incentive to win, people play the game seriously. In Reach, a lot of players couldn't give a fuck and it ruins games for me, far more than anything related to rank in Halo 3 did. I also kinda feel sorry for the unskilled morass of players I scalp every time I play.

2nd bolded: GOOD, guests haven't payed for the game nor live and they absolutely should not be in a lot of the more so-called 'hardcore' playlists, they more often than not piss about on mongeese and go neg 12, not to mention, if the main tag quits with his guests it makes the numerical imbalance even worse and usually initiates a host reset.

3rd bolded: I don't think anyone's forgot; the reason you don't see that many posts about it, is because it wasn't as big a problem as you're making it out to be. Sure it created a black market but did it affect me that much? No. Second accounters? Same as a noob playing an MLG pro in any playlist now. Cheating i'll concede on that point but even that was at the higher end of the MLG playlist; I reached 48 in Team Slayer and 50 in Snipes and can count on one hand how many times I got standby'd.

FyreWulff said:
I believe this is up to MLG if they want an arena rating. MLG had/has total control over their H3 and Reach playlists, Bungie just acts as a technical consultant.

True.

I wonder why MLG hasn't switched it, being the competitive organization it is.

GhaleonEB

Louis Wu said:
I'm not sure I understand what you're arguing about.

Yes, every rank has a fixed multiplier - but that's not a limitation, it's just a multiplier. What he was saying that the reason there's a cap is because matchmaking games have a time limit. If they didn't, you'd get more credits.

So your rank multiplier is NOT a cap - it just sets where you start. Time is the limiting factor.
There is a cap in place for each rank in my experience, run into it every day. I assumed it was only limited to rank, and so the various playlists affected how fast you can reach that cap.

He is saying the cap is actually relative to each playlist. I have not tested this, I'm assuming he has - so I'm assuming he's right. What I'm arguing - not arguing, really, just stating - is there IS a time-based cap. I think he's saying that also, which is why I'm confused that he's also saying that longer games = more credits, beyond the cap. That is not true, at least not in the playlists I play.

Again:

Firefight Doubles, Arcadefight, 20 mintutes = 4,283 cR

Firefight Doubles, Limited, 30 minutes = 4,283 cR

Edit: I now see the edited clarifications around Firefight, which seems to be the exception. Not sure how to test the limits in Multiplayer, since those games have shorter time limits, though.

Tawpgun

FyreWulff said:

I don't see your logic. You're against the 1-50 rankings because of the black market and boosting, and because it splits up playlists.

And then you say you're against Arena rankings in playlists? Why? They wouldn't affect either of those things. Assuming its all based on Win-Loss, this would mean every playlist is "ranked" You have divisions in every playlist, no schism between ranked and social.

And the boosting and black market wouldn't be a problem since they reset every season.

Putting in the Arena Rankings in All the playlists would be amazing.

The LEAST they could do is show your Arena Division in ALL playlists.

Gui_PT

Hypertrooper said:
Do ya go to GamesCom now?

And yep. 343i is delivering hope now. We don't have to believe anymore. lol.

If my boss takes me, hell yeah I'll be there. Game is almost done.

Title Updaaaateeeeee!! No AR or Bloom or Nuke Grenades or Armor Lock or Bloom!

Ken

thezerofire said:
I really don't buy that it splits up playlists. The people who frequent ranked and unranked playlists are not very similar
I wouldn't mind Social playlists returning just so I never have to play with guests (2), (3), and (4) again.

FyreWulff

A27 Tawpgun said:
I don't see your logic. You're against the 1-50 rankings because of the black market and boosting, and because it splits up playlists.

No, I'm against Visible 1-50. Most developers seem to agree with me, especially Epic, who won't have visible 1-50 in Gears 3 and patched visible 1-50 out of Gears 2.

And then you say you're against Arena rankings in playlists? Why? They wouldn't affect either of those things. Assuming its all based on Win-Loss, this would mean every playlist is "ranked" You have divisions in every playlist, no schism between ranked and social.

If I wanted to play ranked, I'd play Arena. Forcing everyone to play in the Arena environment will just drive players away, and is pointless since the lists already use skill matching. If you really want to, use the Reach Stats API to calculate your rating and division for any playlist.

And the boosting and black market wouldn't be a problem since they reset every season.

It'd also drive people away because they wouldn't want to play the minimum games in every single playlist in every single season. It'd feel like a chore.

Putting in the Arena Rankings in All the playlists would be amazing.

This would be the worst thing to ever happen to Reach.

The LEAST they could do is show your Arena Division in ALL playlists.

I don't care about your Arena division in Invasion or Action Sack. Keep that shit to where it actually matters: just the Arena. The TU2 in Halo 3 removed your global rank from the entire social experience, too.

You can't force people to play "ranked" to increase the ranked playerbase. The main course of Halo online since Halo 2 has always been unranked playlists, and in 3 and Reach it's unranked Slayer. If more people wanted to play ranked Slayer, more people would be playing the Arena, if it had 1-50 or the Ratings or Halo 2 ranks. Ranked will ALWAYS have less population, and warping the entire experience to the Ranked playerbase would be a gigantic mistake.

Striker

thezerofire said:
even with the black market, you generally knew someone with a 45 was better than someone with a 25. Now you can be Noble or some high rank and still be absolute shit.
Even then with those rankings, players at 45 can still be fairly average and not worthy of such a high rank. The ranks in the 40's should be difficult to get. They weren't, unfortunately.

thezerofire said:
except there is no skill ranking in Reach. Arena is hardly an indicator of total skill.
But neither is a 25, 35, or 45. Yeah, the common belief is the higher player will generally be better, but you can say the same for the Arena formula and how it distributes. There's always going be that branch of how did the person acquire such rank. He could be a loner, only enter with teammates and usually get least kills and most deaths, who knows. The ranked number/Arena formula are all just different methods.

Tawpgun

It's not forcing people to play in an Arena environment... If I had my way I'd have a win loss based division system. No minimum game requirement cap or anything. Just keep playing. You'll be placed into a division after so and so many games. Play as you normally would. Those that win will be rated with a better division and placement within that division.

To those that don't care... just ignore it. After I got my 45 and was satisfied with my pretty birdy I ignored all aspects of rank.

I want to see a general representation of how good a person is in the PGL. Division ratings don't do it amazingly, but they do it good enough.

I see literally NO NO NO NO negatives about putting this system across all playlists.

And don't see why it would be a problem if my shiny gold (soon to be Onyx hopefully) emblem was to be shown in all playlists I enter in.

Once again, a division system with no requirements other than play how you always play will not drive ANYONE away, instead it would encourage people to try and win in their games like at least Halo 3 did. Right now there is literally NO actual incentive to winning. No victory bonus or anything.

I still can't fathom why anyone would be against this. Those who want ranks and bragging rights get it, those who don't care don't have to care and their experience is unchanged.

Woorloog

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
I still can't fathom why anyone would be against this. Those who want ranks and bragging rights get it, those who don't care don't have to care and their experience is unchanged.
Yeah right. I don't care about Reach ranking system but it would be damn annoying to constantly get messages like "lol noob, only bronze" or such. I get enough stupid messages and spam as it is, no need to add to it. Sorry, blocking non-friend communcation is not an option.
I know i will receive such messages (regardless of what rank/division i may have) if Arena ranking system is active everywhere. Some may find such funny but i find them only annoying.
Opt-in ranking system with privacy settings would be all right though, assuming current Arena ranking system.

Ken

FyreWulff said:
Reach doesn't need to make a playlist ranked to exclude guests.

edit: MLG doesn't allow guests, for example.
I don't play MLG and I shouldn't have to be limited to only certain playlists because I don't want to play with guests. If anything, guests should be limited to certain playlists or get their own so they don't have to ruin matches for people who actually have their Wins/Losses and stats tracked.

thezerofire said:
you mean ranked?

I don't care for ranks, but I do care for good experiences in matchmaking and being paired with 4 guests in Squad Slayer and having them collectively go -75 or quit out early isn't a good matchmaking experience. I realize that poor performance and quitting occurs in non-guests too, but it's a lot more likely with guests since they don't care for how the game goes because their stats go untracked.

FyreWulff said:

The Arena also causes duplication of playlists.

The Arena also removes guests and larger than team size playlists.

Who cares if there was a Black Market? Play the game for the game, if theres a fake 50 on the other team it will be fun to laugh at him post game.

Meh, Halo 3 1-50 might be unstable but at least we have something to judge ourselves against, the Reach Arena system is just too transparent.

I think military rank should remain as clearly it pleases a lot of fans, especially fans who prefer Firefight etc but 1-50 was certainly better than the Arena.

FyreWulff said:
No, I'm against Visible 1-50. Most developers seem to agree with me, especially Epic, who won't have visible 1-50 in Gears 3 and patched visible 1-50 out of Gears 2.

Interesting. What is Epics reasoning behind this? Somehow I get the feeling im going to disagree with them lol.

MrBig

Ken said:
I don't play MLG and I shouldn't have to be limited to only certain playlists because I don't want to play with guests. If anything, guests should be limited to certain playlists or get their own so they don't have to ruin matches for people who actually have their Wins/Losses and stats tracked.
Halo is a social game. Playing splitscreen with friends has been an integral part of it since the beginning and should continue with it wherever it goes without being relegated to some far off corner.

That said, I do hate playing with guests, and think that Halo 3's solutions with ranked and social would be best. "Social" could give it 2/3 credits, and "ranked" would give normal.

Nutter

How about a "rank" based on the percentage of wins you have in that playlist.

100% -> 94% = Onyx
93% -> 85% = Gold
84% -> 75% = Silver
74% -> 65% = Bronze
64% and Below = Iron

You could tie that into a K/D, sort of like what Waypoint does with there player scoring system. So if your k/d is very low in lets say Objective, but you win 99% of the games, you would get knocked 5%, it would put you at 94% (still Onyx) however if you win 94% of your games and k/d is still bad (i'm talking close to or under 1) then it would be 94% - 5% = 89% which would make you a Gold Player in that playlist.

I do not know what the k/d ratio divide would be, obviously this idea would need more thought put into it but it could be a start.

This would be on top of any exp based rank that they would have implemented. (i.e brig, general, mythic) but this way it would at least show if a person is particularly good in a certain playlist.

xxjuicesxx said:
True.

I wonder why MLG hasn't switched it, being the competitive organization it is.

Seach times. When Bungie originally made the playlist, MLG turned down the option to have party restrictions in the playlist because they were concerned about search times.

Nutter said:

100% -> 94% = Onyx
93% -> 85% = Gold
84% -> 75% = Silver
74% -> 65% = Bronze
64% and Below = Iron

You could tie that into a K/D, sort of like what Waypoint does with there player scoring system. So if your k/d is very low in lets say Objective, but you win 99% of the games, you would get knocked 5%, it would put you at 94% (still Onyx) however if you win 94% of your games and k/d is still bad (i'm talking close to or under 1) then it would be 94% - 5% = 89% which would make you a Gold Player in that playlist.

I do not know what the k/d ratio divide would be, obviously this idea would need more thought put into it but it could be a start.

This would be on top of any exp based rank that they would have implemented. (i.e brig, general, mythic) but this way it would at least show if a person is particularly good in a certain playlist.
seems solid to me

Err. Sorry to interrupt, but it looks like Waypoint's site may have been updated.

I can see all of the Bulletins on the first try (and I'm using Chrome).

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hitmonchan107 said:
Err. Sorry to interrupt, but it looks like Waypoint's site may have been updated.

Sorry, an error occurred while processing your request.

Getting this on the main page.

Recarpo

Nutter said:

100% -> 94% = Onyx
93% -> 85% = Gold
84% -> 75% = Silver
74% -> 65% = Bronze
64% and Below = Iron

I like it a lot. If the %'s could be tweaked for certain playlists, like multi team, it would be even better, imo.

MrBig

Hitmonchan107 said:

It also doesn't have the gap between where it load the site's font and the default serif

Homeboyd

Dani said:
Sorry, an error occurred while processing your request.

Getting this on the main page.
If you visit xboxlive.com just to make sure you're signed in, it should work when you re-visit waypoint. Got the same msg, went to xboxlive.com, saw that I was already signed in, went back to waypoint.. voila!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Homeboyd said:
If you visit xboxlive.com just to make sure you're signed in, it should work when you re-visit waypoint. Got the same msg, went to xboxlive.com, saw that I was already signed in, went back to waypoint.. voila!

No, that's the "visit Xbox.com before going to Waypoint" error, that is separate and the page doesn't load at all when it happens. It also redirects to an error url.

This error has the Waypoint layout load (the background and the header material) but no content just the error message. No url redirection either.

Two separate errors. The common one and this new one.

Dani said:
No, that's the "visit Xbox.com before going to Waypoint" error, that is separate and the page doesn't load at all when it happens. It also redirects to an error url.

This error has the Waypoint layout load (the background and the header material) but no content just the error message. No url redirection either.

Two separate errors. The common one and this new one.
Did you check the box that said, "Do you live in Ireland?"

Be sure that's unchecked. Problem should be solved now.

Joking. :^)

Top Bottom