• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Homeboyd

Dani said:
No, that's the "visit Xbox.com before going to Waypoint" error, that is separate and the page doesn't load at all when it happens. It also redirects to an error url.

This error has the Waypoint layout load (the background and the header material) but no content just the error message. No url redirection either.

Two separate errors. The common one and this new one.
Hmm.. that's odd because my error said the site was down for maintenance but after I returned from xboxlive.com it worked. I don't know.. :/

Ken

MrBig said:
Halo is a social game. Playing splitscreen with friends has been an integral part of it since the beginning and should continue with it wherever it goes without being relegated to some far off corner.

That said, I do hate playing with guests, and think that Halo 3's solutions with ranked and social would be best. "Social" could give it 2/3 credits, and "ranked" would give normal.
I agree that it's a social experience, and friends on split screen can still have a social experience in both "ranked" and "social" playlists, depending on whether or not each friend has their own XBL account.

I wasn't suggesting that guests should be relegated to "some far off corner," and I apologize if it seemed that way, but the Ranked/Social organization that Halo 3 used, which I wouldn't mind having back in Reach, seemed fine as both sets of playlists were equally prominent on the selection screen and both offered similar playlist experiences.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Homeboyd said:
Hmm.. that's odd because my error said the site was down for maintenance but after I returned from xboxlive.com it worked. I don't know.. :/

It's only happening on the main page.

http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/

The rest of the site is working and fine and the full content now shows up in various pages where it didn't before (Chrome FTW).

EDIT: Everything is now working fine!

Kuroyume

Banned
MrBig said:
Halo is a social game. Playing splitscreen with friends has been an integral part of it since the beginning and should continue with it wherever it goes without being relegated to some far off corner.

That said, I do hate playing with guests, and think that Halo 3's solutions with ranked and social would be best. "Social" could give it 2/3 credits, and "ranked" would give normal.

They should just stick to local. As many have pointed out in the past it's hard enough to keep an eye on everything you see on the screen when you have access to the entire screen. Three other people for a total of four? That's pushing it. Didn't someone say that splitscreen has worse draw distance or something too?

They should at the very least be limited to one playlist. One whacky playlist with all the whacky crap they usually vote for and force me to play. Look, I don't have anything against people gaming together as I've enjoyed that in the past, but that made sense for local multiplayer. When you're online you're ruining the experience for people who aren't in your group.

Kuroyume said:
They should just stick to local. As many have pointed out in the past it's hard enough to keep an eye on everything you see on the screen when you have access to the entire screen. Three other people for a total of four? That's pushing it. Didn't someone say that splitscreen has worse draw distance or something too?

They should at the very least be limited to one playlist. One whacky playlist with all the whacky crap they usually vote for and force me to play. Look, I don't have anything against people gaming together as I've enjoyed that in the past, but it made sense for local multiplayer. When your online your ruining the experience for people who aren't in your group.
I wouldn't limit it that far, but they should at least have a playlist for people with guests only

Woorloog

Banned
Devolution said:
My new pet peeve today: people who pick pro and don't talk/are in private chat. Thanks team.
Pick pro gamerzone or Slayer Pro?
I admit i set gamerzone as Pro, i vote for Slayer Pro and i don't talk (nor even wear the headset).
If i'm in a party i can talk... well reply. Maybe say something. Very little.
EDIT my laptop's making strange noise... something wrong with the fans maybe. I hope not.
EDIT2, the sound is definetly not normal.

Woorloog said:
Pick pro gamerzone or Slayer Pro?
I admit i set gamerzone as Pro, i vote for Slayer Pro and i don't talk (nor even wear the headset).
If i'm in a party i can talk... well reply. Maybe say something. Very little.
EDIT my laptop's making strange noise... something wrong with the fans maybe. I hope not.
EDIT2, the sound is definetly not normal.

The one sans radar. Hence needing people to talk.

Woorloog

Banned
Devolution said:
The one sans radar. Hence needing people to talk.
Slayer Pro. Hmm. In my experience, you can have either people who know how to play and talking is not really essential or people don't know how to play and talking doesn't help that all.
Of course communicating positions is helpful, but that's regardless of gametype, no?

Woorloog said:
Slayer Pro. Hmm. In my experience, you can have either people who know how to play and talking is not really essential or people don't know how to play and talking doesn't help that all.
Of course communicating positions is helpful, but that's regardless of gametype, no?

Talking is essential if you're with randoms and you can't guarantee their skills.

Woorloog

Banned
Devolution said:
Talking is essential if you're with randoms and you can't guarantee their skills.
Talking with randoms ends up with me muting them (complaining about accent->mute, complain about the voice->mute, talk random shit that's not related to match->mute etc). Or they don't have headsets. Or they play music through them. Or yell into them. Or some shit like that.
And as i said, i generally meet people who know how to play and manage on their own or people don't know how to play and nothing helps such people.
Maybe i just have bad luck.... bad luck that's been on for years.

I try not to be negative but... sigh.

Wait, talking randoms? What magical devilry are you talking about here? Such things surely only exist in long-forgotten legends and fairy tales, good sirs.

Blue Ninja said:
Wait, talking randoms? What magical devilry are you talking about here? Such things surely only exist in long-forgotten legends and fairy tales, good sirs.

I've run into some decent randoms before. But the ones already whacking off in private chat shouldn't be voting for radar-less games if they're not in a full party.

blamite

Devolution said:
I've run into some decent randoms before. But the ones already whacking off in private chat shouldn't be voting for radar-less games if they're not in a full party.
john+locke.jpg

Don't tell me what I can't do!

Tawpgun

Zeouterlimits said:
*sigh*

Do you know/remember the reasoning behind the change in Reach?
Do you remember the problems that the ranks in Halo 3 caused?

I actually forgot the reason it went from global ranks to playlist EXP ranks... If I had to guess its so you can gauge that persons familiarity with the playlist, and then go to the service record and see their real rank.

Do I remember the problems ranks in Halo 3 caused? The 1-50 system caused boosting and selling of 50's. But the Arena system doesn't apply to this? I don't see your point.... unless you point is...

Woorloog said:
Yeah right. I don't care about Reach ranking system but it would be damn annoying to constantly get messages like "lol noob, only bronze" or such. I get enough stupid messages and spam as it is, no need to add to it. Sorry, blocking non-friend communcation is not an option.
I know i will receive such messages (regardless of what rank/division i may have) if Arena ranking system is active everywhere. Some may find such funny but i find them only annoying.
Opt-in ranking system with privacy settings would be all right though, assuming current Arena ranking system.

Is this really the reason people are against a ranking system? Because they don't want other players making fun of low ranks? Are you serious? Grow some thicker skin maybe? I can't tell you how many times people have called me out for having bars on my brigadier because I never felt like going for 50. I would explain this to them and they would always be like "LOL GREAT EXCUSE NOOB" And honestly, I found it hilarious. The entire culture of XBL has disappeared because of Party Chat. No one talks anymore, and the mute button is more accesible than ever.

This is honestly a really dumb reason to prevent a ranking system from coming back.

J-Roderton

Great day of people quitting games in Arena. One match ended up with just me and one other guy on my team. He just went AFK the entire match while I got team shot over and over. Still pulled off a good rating but man, did that match suck.

And not sure if anyone has posted anything about this yet but has anyone else had any problems with their Halo Waypoint armor not being unlocked any more in their armory? I have had all of the pieces unlocked before and now they are back to being locked in my armory even though Halo Waypoint says I have them unlocked.

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff

GhaleonEB said:
By a striking coincidence, I'll be working from home tomorrow, with no kids around to distract.

Looks like I'll have very pressing matters to attend to.

Edit:

Yay!

Some interesting discussion of Slayer/Objective matchmaking decisions in this thread as well.

I'm still amazed that people don't realized Objective has less population because it's Objective, it's been this way since Halo 2, but surely if they just changed one thing the population would magically explode!

Havok

Glad to hear about the removal of instant arm Assault rules. Three seconds is still maybe a little too short for my liking, but it's definitely an improvement, and I'll take it.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Hm @ the Glasslands cover. Does that mean
ODSTs and Elites will be
in Halo 4? I guess we won't find out until the book comes out. Either way, I'm excited. I need to read as much of Cryptum as I can before I get this, though.

Any possibility of copies of Glasslands being given out at Halo Fest? :D

Tawpgun

A27_StarWolf said:
How about the option to turn off your rank/division, but always have it viewable in your service record.

That's fine. Won't stop any problems the people who don't like people calling their rank out have though.

If someone has no rank I'll look into the service record regardless like I did for H3.

A27 Tawpgun said:
That's fine. Won't stop any problems the people who don't like people calling their rank out have though.

If someone has no rank I'll look into the service record regardless like I did for H3.

it would help though, or maybe not even in the service record. You can say for sure less people would look at it.

I think people getting trolled because of their rank or skill will never go away, avoid the player, move on.

After all of my steak-related trash talking, I just figured out I'm going to be away from my Xbox on Bungie Day. :(

The reason?
282oobq.jpg

(Pic from the Bungie webcam, strangely enough.)

I'm driving 14 hours south to watch the last shuttle launch.

ncsuDuncan said:
After all of my steak-related trash talking, I just figured out I'm going to be away from my Xbox on Bungie Day. :(

The reason?
282oobq.jpg

You are so lucky, can you imagine being able to tell your kids that one day?

Domino Theory said:
Hm @ the Glasslands cover. Does that mean
ODSTs and Elites will be
in Halo 4? I guess we won't find out until the book comes out. Either way, I'm excited. I need to read as much of Cryptum as I can before I get this, though.

Any possibility of copies of Glasslands being given out at Halo Fest? :D

Goddamn why did I not get tickets to PAX? It's going to be so awesome this year.

ncsuDuncan said:

The reason?
282oobq.jpg

That's awesome. I've always wanted to watch a NASA launch.

A27_StarWolf said:
You are so lucky, can you imagine being able to tell your kids that one day?
*wipes tear from eye*
"Son... I missed out on that delicious Bungie steak. Don't ever make the same mistake I did."

"Who are you talking to, mister?"
"Er, sorry. IWHBYD..."

Havok

Just throwing this question out for thought (and because a bad game was just had): Would Tempest work better as a Standoff-style no-sniper map? The (relatively few) games I've played on it in Objective have been kind of frustrating, with a sniper pretty much shutting down the map. It has two rockets and two shotguns as well, so with DMR starts becoming standard next month, is it needed? I don't necessarily advocate the idea, as I probably haven't played enough games on it recently to feel strongly one way or the other, but I'm interested in popular opinion on the matter.

Top Bottom