• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

GhaleonEB

Syracuse022 said:
Ghaleon, the footer image is currently 404'ing.
I know, I mentioned that already. Read the thread!11. :p

I'll fix it, if not soon then when I get home, where I have the originals saved.

Kujo

(moving my post over) I think a good solution would be, have paid DLC first, then 3-4 months later it's released for free but ad-supported, so whenever the free users loaded a map from that pack, they get a small picture advertisement while loading (and restrictions? no achs / customs). And still sell an ad-free pack alongside.

Then it's required by everyone, so instead of getting revenue from 15% (?) of the playerbase, you get it from 100% and money from people who weren't going to buy them ever.

And then it's win, win. DLC owners can play DLC regularly in every playlist without any ads, and free/casual players can still play in all playlists and contribute to the player population.

HiredN00bs said:
No, I mean random headshots. One of the complaints about bloom is that it is possible (albeit rare) for someone to ignore any kind of pacing and spam out a lucky headshot. If the bloom is reduced by 15%, then there is a greater chance that the spammer will get a lucky headshot, no?
I think the main complaint is that bloom makes it easier for people with the best connections to do this. And no, you would have to aim over their head better to hit them

ElRenoRaven

senador said:
I agree with you, but since we don't know the full details and logistics of them its hard to really get into it. We see it that way, but from the business side there is still money to be made. I mean just the past week we saw a few GAF members come in and say they just bought the maps and that is $$$.

Still, there has to be a better model. Perhaps lowering the prices incrementally over time just like retail would? I would think that would bring more people in than not and actually increases sales instead of MS holding out for the full price. More people would have them too. Again though, since we don't know the full logistics and details of it, this is all speculation.

True. There will always be a few who buy them years later even. Also we don't know all the details. Maybe it's that I'm stubborn. I remember when maps were given out by publishers for free all the time. Then live came and everything went pay.

senador

Banned
Mojo said:
(moving my post over) I think a good solution would be, have paid DLC first, then 3-4 months later it's released for free but ad-supported, so whenever the free users loaded a map from that pack, they get a small picture advertisement while loading (and restrictions? no achs / customs). And still sell an ad-free pack alongside.

Then it's required by everyone, so instead of getting revenue from 15% (?) of the playerbase, you get it from 100% and money from people who weren't going to buy them ever.

And then it's win, win. DLC owners can play DLC regularly in every playlist without any ads, and free/casual players can still play in all playlists and contribute to the player population.

I would love everyone to have DLC, but picturing in game ads makes me want to hurl. I am sure MS and others are thinking/planning ads in some form though already.

Havok

BlueScrote said:
There's a lockout remake in classic? I gotta try that out, as Lockout is by far my most favorite map of the series (with runner up being the pit).
It's got some issues. The lift, as said before, isn't great, and it has some serious framerate issues. The Beaver Creek, Midship, and Warlock remakes are pretty spot on though. Avoid the Elongation, Rat Race, and Derelict remakes - they've got problems.

It's too bad overpowered automatic weapons and grenades ruin that playlist.

ElRenoRaven

senador said:
I would love everyone to have DLC, but picturing in game ads makes me want to hurl. I am sure MS and others are thinking/planning ads in some form though already.

Oh yea. Ads aren't going to go away. They will only get worse. I will give MS props in that they haven't shoved ads into loading screen yet. Also I wouldn't hate ads if live had a free tier like the PC. They learned on there pretty quick that you can't charge for online play.

Havok said:
It's got some issues. The lift, as said before, isn't great, and it has some serious framerate issues. The Beaver Creek, Midship, and Warlock remakes are pretty spot on though. Avoid the Elongation, Rat Race, and Derelict remakes - they've got problems.

Midship? Really its the worst map iv ever played and seems scaled so wrongly.

Kujo

senador said:
If you don't want ads, you can always buy the ad-free DLC anytime. Otherwise you get free maps, whats to complain about a small loading screen ad

wwm0nkey

Striker said:
Evade doesn't need a TU, but I'm baffled the Banshee wasn't touched.
They will be releasing that list of what all the TU does soon.

The key points players wanted to hear where all addressed the rest was saved for a document.

I have a feeling we will be seeing the list in the Bulletin today.

Alright you guys all managed to post on the first page of the new thread, congrats. Now come and actually play Halo instead of talking about it. -_-

Havok said:

StalkerUKCG said:
The Midship remake is one of the worst remakes I've ever played. The bases are completely different, the geometry in general is different, and it doesn't play very well from my experience.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
By the way, I can't wait to buy this art book.

Halo: The Art of Building Worlds

51-rNTicbGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Building-Worlds-Titan-Books/dp/0857685627

senador

Banned
Devin Olsen said:
Alright you guys all managed to post on the first page of the new thread, congrats. Now come and actually play Halo instead of talking about it. -_-

I'll play, not as good as you guys though. GT: SenadorKooch

Havok

StalkerUKCG said:
It seems to be scaled a little wider than it should, but it's pretty decent given how difficult curved surfaces would be to replicate. I think it plays fine if you can look past the awful spawns, which aren't far off from the quality of default Reach spawns.

GhaleonEB

OuterWorldVoice said:
On the subject of free maps, DLC etc., please remember that at the time, this was a brand new model and Microsoft, its competitors and everyone else was still trying to figure out how to make that business model work. It costs a crapton of money to build, implement and run these maps, with dozens of programmers, artists and designers working long man-hours to build them.

The simple reason that they cost money is that it is a business. As that business evolved and matured, the models changed - and not just for Halo, but for everyone, especially in the console space.

There's no evil mastermind trying to bilk you, simply the realities of making and selling products.

Goods and services, mang.
This is understandable. Customers want free/cheap stuff, you have costs to pay and a business to run.

My concern is the fragmentation the player base (as I'm sure you are also). With three DLC map packs soon in release, we'll have players owning different combinations of them (or none) in the mix, which can make findnig the new maps outside of the dedicated DLC hoppers difficult. While it's not reasonable to expect things to go free, I wanted to toss a suggestion in the mix: bundle the Noble and Defiant maps together and offer them at a discount (say, $10 for the pair) once CEA ships. That would both simplify the DLC situation and perhaps offer an incentive for those who didn't pick up the previous maps to do so.

Of course, I'm not privy to your business model or sales rate and don't know whether that would increase or decrease revenue. But I wanted to toss it out there as a possible compromise, balancing a return against playlist complexity.

Deadly Cyclone said:
By the way, I can't wait to buy this art book.

Halo: The Art of Building Worlds

51-rNTicbGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Building-Worlds-Titan-Books/dp/0857685627
Yup, this is day 1 material for me.

OuterWorldVoice said:
On the subject of free maps, DLC etc., please remember that at the time, this was a brand new model and Microsoft, its competitors and everyone else was still trying to figure out how to make that business model work. It costs a crapton of money to build, implement and run these maps, with dozens of programmers, artists and designers working long man-hours to build them.

The simple reason that they cost money is that it is a business. As that business evolved and matured, the models changed - and not just for Halo, but for everyone, especially in the console space.

There's no evil mastermind trying to bilk you, simply the realities of making and selling products.

Goods and services, mang.
:-/ I find it hard to believe it's for out benefit, or that's it's entirely fair that a lot of Halo 3 dlc is still not free.
After 6-12 months, I thing it's time to reunite those who do and don't own dlc.

GhaleonEB said:
I wanted to toss a suggestion in the mix: bundle the Noble and Defiant maps together and offer them at a discount (say, $10 for the pair) once CEA ships. That would both simplify the DLC situation and perhaps offer an incentive for those who didn't pick up the previous maps to do so.
A very good idea. And not just as a Deal of the Week.

Striker

Havok said:
It seems to be scaled a little wider than it should, but it's pretty decent given how difficult curved surfaces would be to replicate. I think it plays fine if you can look past the awful spawns, which aren't far off from the quality of default Reach Bungie spawns.
Fixed.

Kujo

GhaleonEB said:
With three DLC map packs soon in release, we'll have players owning different combinations of them (or none) in the mix, which can make findnig the new maps outside of the dedicated DLC hoppers difficult.
I have honestly never been able to get a match on a DLC map in BTB, and I've played that a ton. But I also don't want to have it become DLC only as the population would drop like in 3

Louis Wu

Devin Olsen said:
Don't whine - you're STILL on the front page. (Or you would be, if you were using a REAL ppp setting.)

I wanna play Reach, dammit.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Devin Olsen said:
TU hasn't dropped.

posted from cryo

senador

Banned
vhfive said:
DLC maps are never going to be free ever again. That's just the way of things work now

Yup. I have no problem paying for them either, just thinking there has to be an alternative for getting them out there more. Bundles like Ghaleon said, price drop over time, something.

Mojo said:
If you don't want ads, you can always buy the ad-free DLC anytime. Otherwise you get free maps, whats to complain about a small loading screen ad

Ugh, I'm not ready for that in games yet. I know its coming eventually, but I already pay retail cost for the game and a subscription to MS to play the games online. I shouldn't have to watch ads, whether I bought DLC or not.

Dislike.

Louis Wu said:
I wanna play Reach, dammit.

Me to, GF is on her way round and i said id spend the night with her, so alas not tonight folks. Can we get a customs night sorted soon? New OT New Customs?

Plywood said:
TU hasn't dropped.

posted from cryo

Wake me when you need me Title update deploys?

Havok said:
It seems to be scaled a little wider than it should, but it's pretty decent given how difficult curved surfaces would be to replicate. I think it plays fine if you can look past the awful spawns, which aren't far off from the quality of default Reach spawns.
my main complaint is still that the bases are completely the wrong shape and size, and the lifts and drops in them are just plain off

Roche

Devin Olsen said:

I'm up for some games if you guys are on, who should I message?

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Striker said:
Evade doesn't need a TU, but I'm baffled the Banshee wasn't touched.

It was on the list, but didn't make it this time due to resources and scheduling. Believe me when I say that practically ANYTHING you could mention for a TU tweak was listed. Unfortunately we don't work in a vacuum so some tough decisions had to be made for the "shipping" TU change list.

lybertyboy said:
It was on the list, but didn't make it this time due to resources and scheduling. Believe me when I say that practically ANYTHING you could mention for a TU tweak was listed. Unfortunately we don't work in a vacuum so some tough decisions had to be made for the "shipping" TU change list.

Any possible chance at all of 343 TU2?

lybertyboy said:
They also haven't ruled out the possibility of giving things another pass. My fingers are crossed for plasma freeze ability to return, now that Shishka's admitted that it was among the features on that potential tweaks list.

Havok

lybertyboy said:
In that case, is there a possibility that you guys could just remove it entirely (along with the Revenant) from the maps its currently on until a permanent fix is in the cards? It's a little drastic, but that vehicle really is an immediate fun-killer.

lybertyboy said:
:-o

Noooooo.jpg

Thanks for the info.

Kujo

senador said:
Ugh, I'm not ready for that in games yet. I know its coming eventually, but I already pay retail cost for the game and a subscription to MS to play the games online. I shouldn't have to watch ads, whether I bought DLC or not.
Not watch, just a logo, like 'Brought to you by Mountain Dew' and it'd only affect the free players. If you pay, there's no difference, and you finally get to play DLC maps half the time, instead of maybe 5%. If you don't pay you still get the maps, how is that any worse than what H3 is now, where you can't even play 2/3 the MP without buying all maps

lybertyboy said:
Y'know I'd be all for just deleting the Banshee. Nothing of value lost.

GhaleonEB

Rickenslacker said:
Confession: when I do manage to get in a Banshee - I usually don't try - I tend to either intentionally get it destroyed or just toss it off the map. It's better for everyone.

StalkerUKCG said:
Any possible chance at all of 343 TU2?

From my conversation with Shishka, the impression I got was that TU2 isn't out of the question. It's certainly a possibility, it just depends on a number of factors. (I suspect some of which are how well TU1 works out, scheduling, how well Anniversary sells, etc.)

The fact that the biggest limitation on TU1 was time to "ship" gives me hope that there are stil a lot of things they can accomplish with the engine for TU2.

FyreWulff

Rickenslacker said:

It was the response to broken Banshee use in the previous games. Probably the best bet.

Specifically, Spire and Paradiso/Utopie.

Top Bottom