• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Blue Ninja said:
Me neither. I've got way too many books to buy, though. :lol

Saw the visual guide in store yesterday for €11.
Pass. Feels like a fixed version of the Encyclopedia (never forget), one page per letter/topic, little surprising, 90% renders.

Kujo

Havok said:
In that case, is there a possibility that you guys could just remove it entirely (along with the Revenant) from the maps its currently on until a permanent fix is in the cards? It's a little drastic, but that vehicle really is an immediate fun-killer.
At the very least, remove it from Utopie. Man do I have some bad memories from that map

Roche178 said:
I'm up for some games if you guys are on, who should I message?

Me

GT - Devin Olsen

Louis Wu said:
Don't whine - you're STILL on the front page. (Or you would be, if you were using a REAL ppp setting.)

I wanna play Reach, dammit.
50 post per page FOR LIFE.

Come and join us then?

ElRenoRaven

lybertyboy said:
It was on the list, but didn't make it this time due to resources and scheduling. Believe me when I say that practically ANYTHING you could mention for a TU tweak was listed. Unfortunately we don't work in a vacuum so some tough decisions had to be made for the "shipping" TU change list.

Well we'll love you all a lot more if it could make it into a separate TU after of just that. lol

FyreWulff

Havok said:
And Renegade and Breakpoint Invasion and Boneyard (both Invasion and BTB variants).

I thought Renegade got updated to have Falcons instead of Banshees?

Boneyard is balanced for the Banshee. The guy with kerjillions of Banshee kills barely has any on that map.

GhaleonEB

I've been thinking about the armor lock changes a lot. It made me go back and watch this video from Dani, of some GAFers demolishing some poor souls on Hemhorrage as they pour out of their teleporter over and over. There's a moment at the 30 second mark where one guy armor locks, and everyone stops shooting and just waits for him to come out. Combat just halts. That's always been the biggest problem with it, it brings combat to a standstill.

The first time someone goes into armor lock and rather than halting combat, he gets blown out of lock early and demolished in a hail of grenades will be a glorious one.

Havok

FyreWulff said:
I thought Renegade got updated to have Falcons instead of Banshees?

Boneyard is balanced for the Banshee. The guy with kerjillions of Banshee kills barely has any on that map.
Breakpoint has Falcons in everything but Invasion, where it spawns in the third phase. As for Boneyard, it's still a huge problem in non-Invasion variants, since spawns are incredibly easy to predict on both sides.

Tawpgun

In my powerless state I've been re-reading Cryptum and re-discovering some pretty cool things.

The Prophets were spread across 2 worlds in the same system. The third world was a storage depot for outdated forerunner weapons... This must be how they got all the technology. And the big revelation... The big Fortress Class forerunner ship called the Deep Reverence... The one guarding the prophets... Its described exactly like High Charity... Something about a 50 km wide hemisphere with a weapon studded tail. Can't wait for more mind blowing in Primordium.

Kujo

Havok said:
And Renegade and Breakpoint Invasion and Boneyard (both Invasion and BTB variants).
I've never really had a problem with it on Boneyard, but then I usually use a sniper to take it out if our team doesn't get to it. Plus there's much more cover (unless you're stuck in a spawn cycle). Renegade can be pretty bad though if a teammate wastes the sniper.

Louis Wu

Devin Olsen said:
Come and join us then?
I wish I could.

I'm blowing off real work to post Halo news, though, and there are still at least 15 items in the queue. And if I ever DO finish... there's real work. Which i was supposed to have started yesterday. :(

senador said:
I would love everyone to have DLC, but picturing in game ads makes me want to hurl. I am sure MS and others are thinking/planning ads in some form though already.

Maybe the better question would be if any other Shooter has done map-pack DLC better? Halo 2's implementation worked the best in practice, but obviously that left some amount of potential money on the table for the developer.

Louis Wu said:
I wish I could.

I'm blowing off real work to post Halo news, though, and there are still at least 15 items in the queue. And if I ever DO finish... there's real work. Which i was supposed to have started yesterday. :(
You could make me an HBO mod, I'll alleviate some of the work. ;)?

seriously though, I'd do it

Sean P.

Devin Olsen said:
You could make me an HBO mod, I'll alleviate some of the work. ;)?

seriously though, I'd do it

200px-Itsatrap.jpg

ElRenoRaven

Sean P. said:
http://wiki.ytmnd.com/images/thumb/c/c7/Itsatrap.jpg/200px-Itsatrap.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

You don't know how much that made me laugh. I've been reading the thread about the Star Wars Blu-Rays and to see that picture posted just was perfect.

Zeouterlimits said:
Saw the visual guide in store yesterday for €11.
Pass. Feels like a fixed version of the Encyclopedia (never forget), one page per letter/topic, little surprising, 90% renders.
Huh, in an actual European store? Where do you live? :lol

Only time I saw Halo novels here in a Belgian store was a box set of the first three in a computer store. All the rest I had to import.

I've been on the fence about the Visual Guide, too, but it's pretty cheap, so I might just get it. That, and Loftus worked on it, which is pretty awesome.

Kujo

BlueScrote said:
Maybe the better question would be if any other Shooter has done map-pack DLC better? Halo 2's implementation worked the best in practice
Aside from H2, (hides) MW2. Assumes everyone has the DLC. If the DLC does come up, you can just quit out and find another match (which there are a ton) with no penalty. DLC owners get to play their maps, non owners still have access to pretty much all playlists. But that works much better if the game is drop-in, drop-out, which Halo isn't. Otherwise, server lobbies in PC games, but matchmaking wise, can't think of much else, not sure how BF does it

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm psyched for Glasslands. I can't wait to see how humanity develops after the war with the Covenant, and I can't wait to speculate how it will all connect to Halo 4. There's so many possibilities!

New thread! Awesome! I am raging so hard that I can't just hop on when I see people wanting people to play with. Just another week and a half here in Mexico and I'll go on a nice Reach binge when not in my last year of university. Zeouterlimits, Hypertrooper, Xand, Zalinkrow and the other numerous peoples I have played with before, believe me when I say I miss playing with you guys.... and that one girl who posts a lot :3

Goddamn, I'm out to lunch for an hour and we're on to the second (100 manly post per page) page already of a new thread?! Jeebus...

ElRenoRaven

squidhands said:
Goddamn, I'm out to lunch for an hour and we're on to the second (100 manly post per page) page already of a new thread?! Jeebus...

Yea. I feel for those who haven't even seen the new thread yet. They're going to be so very very far behind at the rate we're going.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Devin Olsen - our PAX map, God damn. After getting to the mongoose wall part and dying for the sixth time, I decided it would be best for me to quit. Whoever completes that is a champ.

Blue Ninja said:
Huh, in an actual European
Small city in Ireland. Halo stuff is fairly findable, each book store generally has at least a copy of the Fall of Reach and First Strike, the better book stores have more.

Here's a good question:

When the Beta Hoppers start up in October, what map variants will they feature?

Zero Bloom Slayer and 0.85 Bloom Slayer won't really need much changed from the current maps in rotation, except maybe for the removal of the Needle Rifle (unless that's fixed some other way).

Will we test Anniversary Slayer using the Forge remakes from the current Team Classic list?

Or will we play Anniversary Slayer on non-Forge Reach maps? Reflection? Countdown?

The reason I'm asking is, I wonder if there would be any interest in creating map variants of the non-Forge maps for Anniversary Slayer. The difference in weapon selection and movement characteristics makes a large enough impact to justify a unique setup.

Look at how terrible default Sword Base is without jetpacks. I think something like my Glaive variant of Sword Base would play much better with the Anniversary movement (once I adjust the weapon layout). Same thing with my 1-flag Boneyard variant (once I finish it). I have a really rough Boardwalk with some neat new movement options as well.

And yes this is a bold attempt to get my maps in matchmaking. They have significant changes made that would be a little confusing to just drop in the current playlist setup, but using them in the beta hoppers would help introduce them to players in a more experimental mindset.

Zeouterlimits said:
Small city in Ireland. Halo stuff is fairly findable, each book store generally has at least a copy of the Fall of Reach and First Strike, the better book stores have more.
Hodges Figgis in Dublin has a crazy selection of Halo stuff as well as other game based books. Nowhere here sells the McFarlane toys right?

ElRenoRaven

Devin Olsen said:
Wait what part about it is hard? lol I honestly didn't intend for it to be so difficult

Well I'll say the first part right off the bat. The entire time spent dying trying to get down off the dish. I said screw it after that.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
ncsuDuncan said:
Here's a good question:

When the Beta Hoppers start up in October, what map variants will they feature?

Zero Bloom Slayer and 0.85 Bloom Slayer won't really need much changed from the current maps in rotation, except maybe for the removal of the Needle Rifle (unless that's fixed some other way).

Will we test Anniversary Slayer using the Forge remakes from the current Team Classic list?

Or will we play Anniversary Slayer on non-Forge Reach maps? Reflection? Countdown?

The reason I'm asking is, I wonder if there would be any interest in creating map variants of the non-Forge maps for Anniversary Slayer. The difference in weapon selection and movement characteristics makes a large enough impact to justify a unique setup.

Look at how terrible default Sword Base is without jetpacks. I think something like my Glaive variant of Sword Base would play much better with the Anniversary movement (once I adjust the weapon layout). Same thing with my 1-flag Boneyard variant (once I finish it). I have a really rough Boardwalk with some neat new movement options as well.

And yes this is a bold attempt to get my maps in matchmaking. They have significant changes made that would be a little confusing to just drop in the current playlist setup, but using them in the beta hoppers would help introduce them to players in a more experimental mindset.

You trying to bypass the Community Cartographers? =)

PsychoRaven said:
Well I'll say the first part right off the bat. The entire time spent dying trying to get down off the dish. I said screw it after that.
You just turn around and ride the soft barrier down... There is even a little forge arrow pointing down :p

Hydranockz said:
Hodges Figgis in Dublin has a crazy selection of Halo stuff as well as other game based books. Nowhere here sells the McFarlane toys right?
Well the London Forbidden Planet has them, so the Dublin crowd might order if you ask.

GhaleonEB said:
I've been thinking about the armor lock changes a lot. It made me go back and watch this video from Dani, of some GAFers demolishing some poor souls on Hemhorrage as they pour out of their teleporter over and over. There's a moment at the 30 second mark where one guy armor locks, and everyone stops shooting and just waits for him to come out. Combat just halts. That's always been the biggest problem with it, it brings combat to a standstill.

The first time someone goes into armor lock and rather than halting combat, he gets blown out of lock early and demolished in a hail of grenades will be a glorious one.
Absolutely. The most frustrating aspect of AL was that it either made you wait or leave. Neither being a satisfying option.

Devin Olsen said:
Wait what part about it is hard? lol I honestly didn't intend for it to be so difficult
Once I got past the first teleporter, I couldn't make the second jump. I hate platforming.

ElRenoRaven

Devin Olsen said:
You just turn around and ride the soft barrier down... There is even a little forge arrow pointing down :p

Um yea. You still plummet to your death over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over........and over again.

vhfive

Devin Olsen said:
the first drop is a fucking bitch.
you can't ride the soft barrier all the way down because then the 10 secs kill you and when you hit the slopes on the rock it pushes you into the water and not on to the platform.
I think I make maybe once in every 15-20 deathes

Gui_PT

OT6, this must be some sort of a record.

Try to tone it down with the posts Devo, you don't want to be the new AlienShogun =P

heckfu

Banned
vhfive said:
you can't ride the soft barrier all the way down because then the 10 secs kill you and when you hit the slopes on the rock it pushes you into the water and not on to the platform.

I've gotten it a couple times now, bit hit or miss though

ElRenoRaven

vhfive said:

Exactly. I was trying it for fun cause I love obstacle courses but that's not an obstacle course. That's just pure hell.

senador

Banned
Gui_PT said:

Try to tone it down with the posts Devo, you don't want to be the new AlienShogun =P

She has good points, is reasonable, and is nice though. She also has not posted a pic of herself with a gun.

GhaleonEB said:
Confession: when I do manage to get in a Banshee - I usually don't try - I tend to either intentionally get it destroyed or just toss it off the map. It's better for everyone.

My mission is camping the sniper spawn and mow down every banshee as soon as it takes off. And with as soon as I mean like within 5 seconds. I'm going to make every Reach player hate that thing until noone ever use it.
Lots of hate messages, so I do have fun too lol

PsychoRaven said:
Yea. I feel for those who haven't even seen the new thread yet. They're going to be so very very far behind at the rate we're going.
Mass PM to the regulars who aren't caught up?

Gui_PT said:

You don't insult a lady like that. :)

Oh hey a new thread, once again Ghaleon I love what you've done with the place. Just gimme a sec to get myself settled.....

56892_o.gif

Nice to read about the positive feedback from the no bloom PAX sessions. I want that TU now.

Quick edit:

Mojo said:
FIX BANSHEE AND EVADE

Tweaking/extending the cool down times for both (banshee bomb specifically) would be a nice start.

PsychoRaven said:
Exactly. I was trying it for fun cause I love obstacle courses but that's not an obstacle course. That's just pure hell.
Sorry guys :( I really did not intend for the start to be so hard.

senador said:
She has good points, is reasonable, and is nice though. She also has not posted a pic of herself with a gun.

Yeah, I have no issues with the number of posts that anyone in the top 10 made. I will always remember OT5 for the following:

-Myspacification of HaloGAF
-The moment we learned of the AL-nerf and Bloom slider
-The place where I shed my Junior Member carapace and emerged as a brilliant "Member"...oh god...

More on the AL nerf: I wonder if people will just abandon it? The changes to it don't really change how I would use it but I probably won't go back to it due to Sprint4Life disease sinking its claws into me.

Top Bottom