• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Out of all the currently feasible controller variants being tossed around, the tablet-style controller is what appeals to me most. Having a second screen and a touch screen could add so much to so many games. And using the tablet as a movable "window" into the game world is just way too cool. So many awesome possibilities.

The only problem is price. I don't want to pay more than $50 for a controller. :-\

PS: Let's see how long we can talk about everything BUT Halo. HaloGAF needs its own Off Topic forum, hah.

Edit: God damnit, I'm at the top of the page again. (50ppp peasant.)

Tawpgun

FyreWulff said:
Nintendo's main controller is going to be 'standard' because they already established their motion control userbase. They see no reason to do another console the same way, because doing that with the N64 and GameCube got them nowhere. They go with a new method of play in Wii and DS and started shoveling money.

I'm going to assume whatever standard controller that comes with the next Xbox is going to at LEAST have a gyro in it, to maintain parity with Nintendo and Sony for third party ports.

That being said, if there's a map editor in any future Halo title, I'd at least like to see an experimental usage of motion controls for map building.

I can already think of making a Far Cry esque map editor on the Wii U where you can edit the heightmap with the tablet, or draw a new texture on the side of a block for more in-depth customization. Spawns would be so much easier to do if I could just tap on the map where I want them without having to fly around as an in-game avatar.
Problem with the Wii U controller is cost and usability in terms of comfort.

I already need a new 360 controller and will probably pick one up when I go to pick up BF3, and they're still hella expensive. Shove a fucking screen in the middle and I don't even want to think.

If motion controls are going to become the standard of console gaming then fuck that noise, I'm shelling out money for a new PC.

But I doubt this will happen. Shooters are still insanely popular and no one would want to give up their edge in CoD just so they can pretend their hand is a gun.

Not to mention motion controls in their current technology will give no major benefits to already established genres. I'd rather press a button than waggle. Games built around the device, whatever, as long as they don't touch established franchises too much.

kylej

Banned
FyreWulff said:
Nintendo's main controller is going to be 'standard' because they already established their motion control userbase. They see no reason to do another console the same way, because doing that with the N64 and GameCube got them nowhere. They go with a new method of play in Wii and DS and started shoveling money.

I'm going to assume whatever standard controller that comes with the next Xbox is going to at LEAST have a gyro in it, to maintain parity with Nintendo and Sony for third party ports.

Parity in third party ports is non-existant for the WiiU as soon as the next Xbox and Playstation are out. It'll be a port machine for a very limited period of time, after which it'll have to rely on limited 3rd party support and Mario games like every other Nintendo console since the SNES.

Six-axis support is largely forgotten - even by Sony themselves - these days so I really don't see why Microsoft would feel forced to include a gyro in their next controller.

kylej said:
Parity in third party ports is non-existant for the WiiU as soon as the next Xbox and Playstation are out. It'll be a port machine for a very limited period of time, after which it'll have to rely on limited 3rd party support and Mario games like every other Nintendo console since the SNES.

Six-axis support is largely forgotten - even by Sony themselves - these days so I really don't see why Microsoft would feel forced to include a gyro in their next controller.
Do new PS3 controllers even have sixaxis?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
kylej said:

Yea the Wii-U is coming out at such a weird time. I feel like Nintendo thinks they're going to catch lightning in a bottle again. I don't know, I'm still going to buy it for the Mario and Zelda games though.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Problem with the Wii U controller is cost and usability in terms of comfort.

I already need a new 360 controller and will probably pick one up when I go to pick up BF3, and they're still hella expensive. Shove a fucking screen in the middle and I don't even want to think.

If motion controls are going to become the standard of console gaming then fuck that noise, I'm shelling out money for a new PC.

But I doubt this will happen. Shooters are still insanely popular and no one would want to give up their edge in CoD just so they can pretend their hand is a gun.

Not to mention motion controls in their current technology will give no major benefits to already established genres. I'd rather press a button than waggle. Games built around the device, whatever, as long as they don't touch established franchises too much.

So what if the technology was as advanced where "Skill" in Halo was real life skill.

Suddenly the MLG Pro's might not be so pro haha

A27 Tawpgun said:
Haven't been keeping an eye on Skyward Sword have we? Sword fighting in Red Steel 2 was also amazing.

Metroid Prime had 2 games in before they added pointer controls in the 3rd, then they added pointer controls to the first 2. Would never go back to pad controls in MP1 and 2.

Motion controls and traditional controls can coexist. Variety is the spice of life.

Barrow Roll said:
Haven't been keeping an eye on Skyward Sword have we? Sword fighting in Red Steel 2 was also amazing.

Metroid Prime had 2 games in before they added pointer controls in the 3rd, then they added pointer controls to the first 2. Would never go back to pad controls in MP1 and 2.

Motion controls and traditional controls can coexist. Variety is the spice of life.

I've tried explaining this to him before :p

Barrow Roll said:
Then I await his response.

I predict:

"Have not played it"
"something about waggle"

You know the Wii gets a lot of crap for games with bad controls, yet we still have "regular" style buttons with awful controls. With all these years to get it right, I feel like that is a bigger offense.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Want an Elite Avatar suit?

Elite.png

First person to answer this question get some sexy Sanghelli fashion. *Male Avatar only

In which Halo game was Reach first mentioned?

blamite

Slightly Live said:

Elite.png

First person to answer this question get some sexy Sanghelli fashion.

Halo 1 of course. I believe Cortana mentioned jumping away from it.

Slightly Live said:

Elite.png

First person to answer this question get some sexy Sanghelli fashion. *Male Avatar only

Halo 2, just on the chance the other guy is wrong.

FyreWulff

Slightly Live said:

Elite.png

edit: DAMNIT. I'm just going to go with the nuclear option of Wars chronologically in the canon.

Tashi0106 said:
Yea the Wii-U is coming out at such a weird time. I feel like Nintendo thinks they're going to catch lightning in a bottle again. I don't know, I'm still going to buy it for the Mario and Zelda games though.

Well, Nintendo has to release a new console at some point. Not only so they can make money, but also because the Wii is getting hit hard by piracy at this stage in it's lifespan.

They can either try to play the waiting game with Sony and MS, or release now. If they try to make it overengineered then Sony and MS just wait a bit and build the same console for cheaper. There's also the fact that a generation where 2 of the 3 console players having so much parity in power is an anomaly. Power also certainly didn't hold back the PS1 or PS2.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

Elite.png

Name the titles of Forward Unto Dawn's published Datapad articles.

Blinding

Sorry Tashi, told the guys over in the NHL 12 thread that I'd play some games tonight. I'll hop on a bit later though if people are still on.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Karl2177 said:
Thank you very much.

Is there an ETA for Reflections?

Yes there is. Should be out by this time next week. It might slip into the following Monday but I'm aiming to have it out by this weekend coming.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Blinding said:
Sorry Tashi, told the guys over in the NHL 12 thread that I'd play some games tonight. I'll hop on a bit later though if people are still on.
Real men play Halo

georgc

Hey halo gaf, so ive been away from halo for a while. Last thing I did was read cryptum and I just find out that there is a new novel coming out that picks up after ghosts of onyx!! first Im like YEAHH then I read its nit by Nylund.....WTF why is someone else picking up after his story arch?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
georgc said:
Hey halo gaf, so ive been away from halo for a while. Last thing I did was read cryptum and I just find out that there is a new novel coming out that picks up after ghosts of onyx!! first Im like YEAHH then I read its nit by Nylund.....WTF why is someone else picking up after his story arch?

Halo doesn't belong to Mr Nylund. =)

georgc

Slightly Live said:
Halo doesn't belong to Mr Nylund. =)
bu bu bu...but Blue Team should :(
as a lover of all things halo im def getting this book. Its crazy, ive been looking forward to BF3 since i for BF2 in 2005. But as soon as i learn that there is a new halo book, im like yeah 10/25 is the new halo book not BF3 duh.

Tawpgun

Barrow Roll said:
Then I await his response.
But that's what I said, it was built entirely around the thing, so it can be good.

But I'll be honest and say that I just prefer controllers and buttons. To me, slashing a wii-mote doesn't add anything to playing something like a Zelda game.

A27 Tawpgun said:
But that's what I said, it was built entirely around the thing, so it can be good.

But I'll be honest and say that I just prefer controllers and buttons. To me, slashing a wii-mote doesn't add anything to playing something like a Zelda game.
Yeah but you also said they have no benefits to already established genres and that you'd prefer they didn't touch established franchises.

Preference is fine, but I don't understand how anyone couldn't see the benefits of having 1:1 sword control in a Zelda game. This ain't that waggle shit that was in Wii Twilight Princess, a game which was designed for the Gamecube to begin with.

Aaanyways, we're getting really OT.

MY UPSTREAM BANDWIDTH IS AVERAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMBieber

Oh yea and Dark Souls lol. Go wiggle yourself behind a lizard and stick a spear up his butt, yea thats fun!

TheOddOne

Is Dark Souls that bad? I guess it's a game you either love or despise.

Still it's something I'll pick up in the bargain bin, too many other great games coming out.

Ramirez

Tashi0106 said:
Lol fuck Dark Souls. Games a joke.

Says the guy excited for Skyward Sword.

Barrow Roll, for me personally, I preferred the lock on controls of MP 1 & 2. Three was easily the worst of the series in my eyes, mainly because they turned it into a FPS wanna be, when that wasn't nearly the focus of the first two games. The first two also weren't designed around pin point shooting, so the controls worked perfectly, and adding in pointer controls really added nothing to the experience since the game wasn't designed for them to begin with.

Trasher

TheOddOne said:

Still it's something I'll pick up in the bargain bin, too many other great games coming out.
"That bad?" What the fuck? Game's amazing. Buy it.

Ken

TheOddOne said:

It's great. Go get it.

Ramirez said:
Says the guy excited for Skyward Sword.

Barrow Roll, for me personally, I preferred the lock on controls of MP 1 & 2. Three was easily the worst of the series in my eyes, mainly because they turned it into a FPS wanna be, when that wasn't nearly the focus of the first two games. The first two also weren't designed around pin point shooting, so the controls worked perfectly, and adding in pointer controls really added nothing to the experience since the game wasn't designed for them to begin with.
It didn't add a whole lot to the combat unless you really felt like not using lock-on, which would be ineffective, but as means of being able soak up the gorgeous world around you, it was great. That might not seem like it counts for a whole lot but for a game that focuses a lot on exploring your surroundings, this added speed and precision felt really nice to me. Made looking around for things to scan much quicker too. The entire control scheme feels more comfortable to me. That's not to say the original controls are bad, Metroid Prime was a 10/10 then and the GC version still is now.

3 is probably my least favorite too (which isn't saying much since I think the entire trilogy is fantastic) but I don't attribute that to the controls at all. I love the control scheme. Flicking and pulling back the nunchuk for the Grapple Lasso feels great. I also think people over-emphasize the FPS wannabeness of MP3. After the intro you spend the majority of the game on your own doing classic Metroid stuff. And Skytown, Elysia is frickin gorgeous.

TheOddOne said:

It is one of the most unique experiences of the generation. Refreshing if you're tired of games that hold your hand. Personally, I'd say you can wait for the other games to hit the bargain bin instead.

Kujo

After 40 games I finally move up 1 rank in Halo 3, oh joy >_>

omg.kittens said:
The only problem is price. I don't want to pay more than $50 for a controller.
Also battery life could be a concern

TheOddOne

Trasher said:
"That bad?" What the fuck? Game's amazing. Buy it.
The responses where kind of intresting, so thats why I asked if it was that bad.

Will pick it up eventually though :)

Hypertrooper said:
Do you want to see the lovely lybertyboy with his friend Dennis? Some shitty quality video of the level T&R from Paris. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KNiFUT1qlg Found it at HBO.
I can't watch that video while thinking the question "Will there be multiplayer?". I am a bad person.

Top Bottom