• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I hate Kinect. Controller-free game is just so utterly shallow, it's barely worth bothering with. There's notable exceptions for sure, but they're few and far between. I really hope they don't put too much emphasis on it for the next Xbox.

MrBig

omg.kittens said:
I hate Kinect. Controller-free game is just so utterly shallow, it's barely worth bothering with. There's notable exceptions for sure, but they're few and far between. I really hope they don't put too much emphasis on it for the next Xbox.
:lol physical controllers are probably going to be gone after the next decade. Kinect in its current state is useless but that technology is part what future gaming is going to built upon.

I don't buy it. The only way I'd give up a controller or keyboard+mouse is if they found a way to control a game with my mind. Otherwise it is always going to be too imprecise.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, whatever, I'm open to controller-free gaming if it can match the range, intricacy, and functionality of controllers. When that happens, I'll be on board. In the mean time, keep it the fuck away from my Haloz.

MrBig

Dax01 said:
For dedicated gaming machines? All signs point to yes. It's both a good thing and a bad thing. Leaving behind gaming in its current state and basically moving to a new medium.
thezerofire said:
I don't buy it. The only way I'd give up a controller or keyboard+mouse is if they found a way to control a game with my mind. Otherwise it is always going to be too imprecise.
There have already been advancements in this field.
PsychoRaven said:
You'll see controllers, keyboards, mice, etc for years and years to come.
In the same sense as traditional art, yes you are right.

PsychoRaven said:
I agree. That's bullshit. At best Motion gaming will be a niche. You'll see controllers, keyboards, mice, etc for years and years to come.

I'm with Mr. Big on this one. Physical controllers are going to become the niche.

Far in the future I see you having to buy "simulation rooms"

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
A big problem with motion controls is the lack of tactile feedback. It's hard to know if your movements are the right movements. On-screen visual cues aren't enough.

I dunno, I just don't see it catching on. Not unless there's some big breakthrough in technology, or just a continued rift between "waggle" games and traditional games.

There's much more potential in motion controllers (like Wii and Move), touch screen controls, and Wii U style screen/controller hybrids. That stuff has some clear, tangible (literally!) advantages.

All I care about is that it can translate movement into precise action, and that it doesn't take a ton of effort to use. I play videogames to relax, not work out

Hydranockz said:
That's pretty awesome, but would only work for realistic shooters. You wouldn't be able to use it for Halo or Gears. I can't imagine playing Battlefield with it though, for one with the amount of sprinting you do in that game, and two for the vehicular gameplay

kylej

Banned
MrBig said:
For dedicated gaming machines? All signs point to yes. It's both a good thing and a bad thing. Leaving behind gaming in its current state and basically moving to a new medium.

Er, all signs? Wii is dying, Move is dead, and Kinect has zero software sales. Nintendo is even going back to a more traditional controller with their next console...

ElRenoRaven

kylej said:
Er, all signs? Wii is dying, Move is dead, and Kinect has zero software sales. Nintendo is even going back to a more traditional controller with their next console...

Exactly. I'd say all signs say the opposite.

Feel free to enlighten me --- what the fuck is the point of the TU Beta playlist?

First round of voting:
[Bloom Option 1]
[Bloom Option 2]
[Bloom Option 3]
[None] --- EVERYONE VOTES FOR THIS (Obviously)

Second round of voting:
[Bloom Option 4]
[Bloom Option 5]
[Bloom Option 6]

I'm done. Thank god for Battlefield 3. I'll give this game another chance on November 15th when we will at least have good maps.

Woorloog

Banned
Voting sucks. I think we should go back to Halo 2 system. We're given a good map and gametype combination, no voting/vetoing. Idiots vote the wrong thing anyway..

kylej said:
I'd say that this has more to do with a whole host contributing factors such as no HD, poor online infrastructure, poor internal memory solution and terrible third-party support. Even Nintendo's support for the system has been abysmal lately. Either way, there are several examples of well implemented motion control on the Wii that enhance the experience exponentially.

That said, no thank to a 100% motion control future. I enjoy lying on my ass with a controller in hand.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Woorloog said:
Voting sucks. I think we should go back to Halo 2 system. We're given a good map and gametype combination, no voting/vetoing. Idiots vote the wrong thing anyway..
I lol'd

SC2 HaloGAF add me.

Tashi is my user name and the code is 650. I'm bronze league Terran.

MrBig

kylej said:
Notice the time frame I gave. Current technology is useless in its implementation and is absolutely not an indicator of anything.
Things like this being tested, and the BF3 physical simulator are what I'm referring to (though that was made using a modified kinect)
Motion control isn't really good for anything besides simple interfaces. My original point was about the removal of physical controllers becoming the norm in the not so distant future.

Slightly Live said:
"Experts" like Patcher have difficulty forecasting a few months ahead in the industry. I'd say your twenty year estimates will probably be slightly off the mark.
All I'm saying is that the technology is in its infancy now and I can attempt to see what it will develop into. And my predictions are fairly modest compared to other things I've seen people say. Matrix style connections or literally anything could be possible decades from now.

Woorloog

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
I lol'd

SC2 HaloGAF add me.

Tashi is my user name and the code is 650. I'm bronze league Terran.
I don't remember but good maps and gametypes from Halo 2. I have no idea if it gave shit combos. Anyway i'd rather take no-voting over voting.

And do i need to fire-up SC2 and check out my username.code too the darn code?
EDIT oh mouseover portrait shows the code? Right... now i need to recheck it.

EDIT2 Empyrus.468 League: None ATM. I need to relearn the game and play a bit... Expecting to be in bronze (it was lowest right?
EDIT3 Uh, the game is region locked right? I'm in Europe and the game doesn't find Tashi.650
EDIT4 duh. Region locking both makes things better and ruins everything.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
MrBig said:
Notice the time frame I gave. Current technology is useless in its implementation and is absolutely not an indicator of anything.
Things like this being tested, and the BF3 physical simulator are what I'm referring to.
Motion control isn't really good for anything besides simple interfaces. My original point was about the removal of physical controllers becoming the norm in the not so distant future.

"Experts" like Patcher have difficulty forecasting a few months ahead in the industry. I'd say your twenty year estimates will probably be slightly off the mark.

Hey You

Gabotron ES said:
Would it be possible to just add some Firefight Versus variants to existing Firefight playlists? such a wasted opportunity.
I know I'm a little late, but this all the way.

FF Versus and FF Generator Defense would be nice. Maybe as a weekend playlist with Double cR's?

kylej

Banned
MrBig said:

I'll be enjoying my flying car around the same time I'm controlling video games with my mind.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Woorloog said:
I don't remember but good maps and gametypes from Halo 2. I have no idea if it gave shit combos. Anyway i'd rather take no-voting over voting.

And do i need to fire-up SC2 and check out my username.code too the darn code?
EDIT oh mouseover portrait shows the code? Right... now i need to recheck it.

EDIT2 Empyrus.468 League: None ATM. I need to relearn the game and play a bit... Expecting to be in bronze (it was lowest right?
EDIT3 Uh, the game is region locked right? I'm in Europe and the game doesn't find Tashi.650
EDIT4 duh. Region locking both makes things better and ruins everything.

Oh damn. That sucks.

Kujo

Hydranockz said:
That is crazy, I'll buy it when it hits $499 in 2117

Halo 3 is pissing me off. 20 games of TS. 100% of those are hosts in a different continent. 80% of them I manage to go positive. 10% of them I am on the winning team. Fucking randoms, how do you manage -15 in a 7 minute game?? You're the one with the green barrrr/rage

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Dax01 said:
Plywood
Read a book mothafuckah.
(Today, 07:58 PM)
Reply | Quote

It'll speed up once Glasslands comes out!
You are like the 3rd person ever to have quoted my less than topical tag. <3
Hydranockz said:
We're waiting for Ghaleon to get back! Stop posting so fast!
We're not posting fast enough. :mad:

The big flaw with a controller-free future is that people are fucking lazy, and play games to unwind and veg. For that reason alone I doubt controllers are ever going to be the niche.

wwm0nkey

Rickenslacker said:
The big flaw with a controller-free future is that people are fucking lazy, and play games to unwind and veg. For that reason alone I doubt controllers are ever going to be the niche.
mind controllers bro

FyreWulff

Nintendo's main controller is going to be 'standard' because they already established their motion control userbase. They see no reason to do another console the same way, because doing that with the N64 and GameCube got them nowhere. They go with a new method of play in Wii and DS and started shoveling money.

I'm going to assume whatever standard controller that comes with the next Xbox is going to at LEAST have a gyro in it, to maintain parity with Nintendo and Sony for third party ports.

That being said, if there's a map editor in any future Halo title, I'd at least like to see an experimental usage of motion controls for map building.

I can already think of making a Far Cry esque map editor on the Wii U where you can edit the heightmap with the tablet, or draw a new texture on the side of a block for more in-depth customization. Spawns would be so much easier to do if I could just tap on the map where I want them without having to fly around as an in-game avatar.

Top Bottom