• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
OuterWorldVoice said:
One of my favorite behaviors is, in a close game, someone on your team is curious about your armor, so they shoot you a couple of times. As if it's some kind of magnifying glass. And they do it another four or five times, often just enough to wack your shield.

Or when an enemy removes your shields and you run into cover and your "team mate" shoots you to finish off the kill, which is awarded to the enemy...

Slightly Live said:
Or when an enemy removes your shields and you run into cover and your "team mate" shoots you to finish off the kill, which is awarded to the enemy...
That's annoying too.

OuterWorldVoice said:
One of my favorite behaviors is, in a close game, someone on your team is curious about your armor, so they shoot you a couple of times. As if it's some kind of magnifying glass. And they do it another four or five times, often just enough to wack your shield.
:lol, shields shouldn't glow when taking damage, kids get too easily distracted.

The betraying problem can't be easily fixed but turning friendly fire off for playlists when it's not neccesary should make it less annoying.
Turn it off for Living Dead, Team SWAT, Team Snipers and Action Sack.

No need for friendly fire there.

feel

Gabotron ES said:
Do you guys ever boot someone when it's obvious it wasn't on purpose? For me, each time I accidentally betray someone BAM! instant boot.
I never boot for unintentional betrayals and surprisingly I've been forgiven countless times too.

What are the bloom levels like when shooting while crouching? Is it 50% or 60% bloom? I'd like to try out that level of bloom while you can run around and jump.

heckfu

Banned
Letters said:
I never boot for unintentional betrayals and surprisingly I've been forgiven countless times too.

Unfortunately I boot if I'm angry. It's not like I think about it, just kind of a knee-jerk reaction.

Dax01 said:
What are the bloom levels like when shooting while crouching? Is it 50% or 60% bloom? I'd like to try out that level of bloom while you can run around and jump.
Dunno bro but I think 85% bloom is the sweet spot for vanilla Reach, otherwise nerfle and magnum will become pretty overpowered.

85% bloom should be implemented on all playlists except Invasion.

bobs99 ... said:
I dont know much about dedi servers, but if they set up a rack in the UK and I could play against UK people I would be quite happy. If I was forced to play on International Servers I would be pissed, that would be worse than PVP. I feel for the people who are in countries that wouldnt get the servers and would either have to play on International servers or would basically have to wait years to get a game.
If you don't know much about dedicated servers why would you make a claim like "P2P for life"?

Barrow Roll said:
If you don't know much about dedicated servers why would you make a claim like "P2P for life"?

I dont claim to be an expert on the subject, but I doubt many people here are, everyone just clamours for them without really thinking about it. To be fair the "P2P for life" thing was just reflecting KyleJ's sarcasm. :p

From my experience in the past servers just seem to make more people seem to have the host advantage, at least with p2p to an extent the lottery can go in my favour sometimes. If the servers are hosted in America its a lose lose situation for me everytime. Servers located in the UK could work well but in the past euro servers seem underpopulated. With sometime like Halo I doubt that would be an issue, but all the same for people living in countries which wont get server racks, they are screwed.

I still stand by the fact that I prefer p2p, albeit despite not exactly being an expert in networking.

Gabotron ES said:
Dunno bro but I think 85% bloom is the sweet spot for vanilla Reach, otherwise nerfle and magnum will become pretty overpowered.

85% bloom should be implemented on all playlists except Invasion.

I agree.

85% (no bleed through should stay on default Reach settings though)
armor lock nerf
active camo nerf

All of those should be put in Reach across the board imo.

Steelyuhas said:
I agree.

armor lock nerf
active camo nerf

Totally agree on no bleed through, it should be exclusive to classic playlists.

FyreWulff

bobs99 ... said:
I dont claim to be an expert on the subject, but I doubt many people here are, everyone just clamours for them without really thinking about it. To be fair the "P2P for life" thing was just reflecting KyleJ's sarcasm. :p

From my experience in the past servers just seem to make more people seem to have the host advantage, at least with p2p to an extent the lottery can go in my favour sometimes. If the servers are hosted in America its a lose lose situation for me everytime. Servers located in the UK could work well but in the past euro servers seem underpopulated. With sometime like Halo I doubt that would be an issue, but all the same for people living in countries which wont get server racks, they are screwed.

I still stand by the fact that I prefer p2p, albeit despite not exactly being an expert in networking.

The long and short of it is:

P2P: The host of the game is also a player in the game

Dedicated: The host of the game is a neutral box. In short, think of the dedicated server as a invisible player that cannot do any damage, has zero physics collisions, and is completely invisible.

Dedicated provides consistency to the experience, but dedicated does not automatically mean better latency and networking. It's just making the host a neutral party so all player interactions are client vs client.

The upside to P2P is that it scales to any population size instantly. The downside to P2P is that your experience is only going to be as good as the fastest connection in the game being chosen as host. Another upside is you don't need to depend on the publisher or developer to buy and install servers in a colo near you as long as you have players in your region.

The upside to dedicated is that the experience is fairly consistent for those near the host. However, dedicated server hosting plans scale horribly and then after your game dies down you need to find what to do with all your outdated hardware.

For a Halo game to use dedicated servers they'd need a LOT of servers for that initial rush. If Halo ever uses dedicated I imagine it'd be similiar to the Gears 3 method, where you have a pretty good chance of ending up on dedis but can also end up in P2P if all the dedis are in use or down.

Unfortunately a lot people seem to think dedicated servers are magical unicorns. You can do map and gametype rotation on P2P, you can do clans on P2P, you just need to invest the time and the interface work. They also seem to think that P2P is a console invention when PCs did it first with Listen Servers. The primary reason of dedicated servers when first person shooters first started was because all early FPSes were CPU-bound, and there wasn't enough juice left over to also run the networking with many players.

These days since all the rendering is being done GPU side, there's plenty of processing power left to run your network stack.

Dax01 said:

I don't know what it's like under Superior Vanilla Extract Reach but 85% slayer has effective zero bloom while crouched.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Steelyuhas said:
I agree.

armor lock nerf
active camo nerf

Agreed, but I think it's all just experimentation at this point. It'll happen eventually, they just want to ease people into these changes (as surprising as it is, there are people who love armor, active camo, and bloom the way they are).

My older brother is a casual Halo player and I had to tell him there was reticle bloom because he had actually never noticed before (or never bothered to).

Two days ago, he called me randomly and said "when are you going to get a job working for Halo so you can tell those assholes to make it constant Needler starts on Elite Slayer?"

Hypertrooper said:
Edit.: Because I won't get Glassland till November, I ordered this book. Any other Sci-Fi recommends?
Ditto on Glasslands.

Frankie - Is the UK getting the Hardback? Cause that's what Hyper and I have ordered from Amazon.co.uk but Karen Traviss said on Twitter she wasn't aware that the UK was getting the hardback (but wasn't fully clued in).

As for suggestions Hyper, have you read any Iain M.Banks? So good. Picked up a hardback of this last week.

FyreWulff said:
I don't know what it's like under Superior Vanilla Extract Reach but 85% slayer has effective zero bloom while crouched.
Nobody fires when crouching anyway. :p
Zeouterlimits said:
Ditto on Glasslands.

Frankie - Is the UK getting the Hardback? Cause that's what Hyper and I have ordered from Amazon.co.uk but Karen Traviss said on Twitter she wasn't aware that the UK was getting the hardback (but wasn't fully clued in).
What I really like about 343 is that it looks like they're releasing all of the new books in hardcover now. I love hardcover so much more than paperback.

Can't wait to get Glasslands in hardcover.

Zeouterlimits said:
Ditto on Glasslands.

As for suggestions Hyper, have you read any Iain M.Banks? So good. Picked up a hardback of this last week.
I think the version we both ordered is the first press of the US version. I guess Amazon EU is going to ship a batch of the Glasslands Hardcore books to Europe for the pre-orders. Travis said that Glassland will be released on November 24th.

I saved your book recommendation. Other recommends, Gaffers?

FyreWulff said:
The long and short of it is:

P2P: The host of the game is also a player in the game

Dedicated: The host of the game is a neutral box. In short, think of the dedicated server as a invisible player that cannot do any damage, has zero physics collisions, and is completely invisible.

Dedicated provides consistency to the experience, but dedicated does not automatically mean better latency and networking. It's just making the host a neutral party so all player interactions are client vs client.

I snipped off the rest of your post, but I wanted to say that whilst dedicated servers dont have a host, ping and locality to the server basically can make those with better pings have host like attributes for people with worse pings. Its not exactly the fair even playing ground that people think it is.

Tawpgun

The current bleed through I don't like... but if they were to fix the bug it has in addition to making it impossible for SHOTS to bleed through... I'd like it.

I wanted bleed through for melee's, not shooting.

Also, not sure if this would make Armor Lock more OP or not, but a faster recharging shield would help. Grenades have so much splash damage if just a SLIVER of your shields gets taken off your recharge timer resets.... I've spent like 20+ seconds just waiting to get back up to full shields.

If anything, Halo 4 and Spartan II's will address this. Both in agility, speed, and shield properties.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Dax01 said:
Nobody fires when crouching anyway. :p

What I really like about 343 is that it looks like they're releasing all of the new books in hardcover now. I love hardcover so much more than paperback.

Can't wait to get Glasslands in hardcover.

Kindle version FTW!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Slightly Live said:
I had this happen to me several times last night. I was trying to enjoy some games with my friend who moved to Japan a few months back. We never get to game together, and when we do, we're plagued with quitters, AFKs, and teamkillers.

We went and played Trenched instead, lol.

Edit: Holy shit @ FyreWulff's poster! So good!

TheOddOne

FyreWulff said:
5Eqnd.jpg
MORGAN FREEMAN?!

Day one, good sir.

MrBig

bobs99 ... said:
I snipped off the rest of your post, but I wanted to say that whilst dedicated servers dont have a host, ping and locality to the server basically can make those with better pings have host like attributes for people with worse pings. Its not exactly the fair even playing ground that people think it is.
The first thing I do whenever I play a game with server browsers is filter by ping and region. If you're not doing that you're defeating their purpose.

Hypertrooper said:
I think the version we both ordered is the first press of the US version. I guess Amazon EU is going to ship a batch of the Glasslands Hardcore books to Europe for the pre-orders. Travis said that Glassland will be released on November 24th.

I saved your book recommendation. Other recommends, Gaffers?
I'd say Spin by Robert Charles Wilson. He recently concluded the trilogy with Vortex, which I need to pick up. The Martian Chronicles and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? are also good choices.

I'd also recommend this anthology: Science-Fiction: Stories and Contexts. It has a bunch of awesome short stories like Arthur C. Clarke's "The Nine Billion Names of God," Robert Heinlein's "–All You Zombies," Philip Dick's "Second Variety," and Harlan Ellison's (writer of the Star Trek: TOS episode "The City on the Edge of Forever") fabulous temporal dystopia "'Repent, Harlequin!' Said the Ticktockman."

The only other book I've read that isn't sci-fi or Halo is The Fiery Trial, a fantastic read, but I don't think you're that into American history.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
You know, I thought that after the MLG event I was going to stop playing Halo for a while. Catch up on some other games. And while I have been doing some of that I'm still playing Halo as my main game. I'm still having too much fun. Now that I'm not going to Providence and am not on a team, it frees me up to just fuck around and go for as many overkills as I can get lol

http://www.twitch.tv/tashiii

NOKYARD

Need your help guys.

As i mentioned earlier Ghaleon is coaching our 4 player Firefight Limited team in the F.L.A.G. (Fight Like A Girl) charity tournament. We are in second place with 83,019 points on Beachhead. Our plan is to break 90,000 points later today.

The problem is that the tournament rules state the game must be played in Matchmaking. In MM you only get the choice of 3 maps so if Beachhead does not come up we want to get out of MM and start a fresh search. Fearing a quit ban we have been selecting the final map and suiciding repeatedly to quickly end the game, which has resulted in a temporary credit ban.

Does anyone know what the low point threshold is for the credit ban, or should we all back out to Dashboard and reboot the game each time?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Tashi0106 said:
You know, I thought that after the MLG event I was going to stop playing Halo for a while. Catch up on some other games. And while I have been doing some of that I'm still playing Halo as my main game. I'm still having too much fun. Now that I'm not going to Providence and am not on a team, it frees me up to just fuck around and go for as many overkills as I can get lol

http://www.twitch.tv/tashiii

Batman: Arkham City and RAGE must be bought.

Tashi

Domino Theory said:
Batman: Arkham City and RAGE must be bought.

Maybe in the bargain bin a few years from now. I just know I won't play them. Big games for me this year are Anniversary and Skyward Sword

MrBig said:
The first thing I do whenever I play a game with server browsers is filter by ping and region. If you're not doing that you're defeating their purpose.

Im pretty sure if Halo 4 had dedicated servers it would be more inline with Gears and we would be thrown into a server. I doubt we would get to browse a server list and no matter how well they make the algorithms the servers will eventually get a mix of people.

A27 Tawpgun said:
The current bleed through I don't like... but if they were to fix the bug it has in addition to making it impossible for SHOTS to bleed through... I'd like it.

I wanted bleed through for melee's, not shooting.
I just assumed these were two separate attributes that were added. Please don't be linked because melee bleedthrough is a god send.

FyreWulff

Gabotron ES said:
Would it be possible to just add some Firefight Versus variants to existing Firefight playlists? such a wasted opportunity.

I don't think so. The team configurations need to be the same across gametypes in a single playlist, and Versus is 2 teams of 2.

The closest you could get is putting Firefight Versus in Team Doubles, but it's unknown if it's possible to put Firefight and Competitive multiplayer in the same hopper.

MrBig

bobs99 ... said:
Im pretty sure if Halo 4 had dedicated servers it would be more inline with Gears and we would be thrown into a server. I doubt we would get to browse a server list and no matter how well they make the algorithms the servers will eventually get a mix of people.
If that were to be the case there wouldn't even be a point in adding dedis.
thezerofire said:
besides more stable connections and no host advantage?
Sounds like you've never actually experience that sort of matchmaking. Saying CoD, BC1/2, GoW, or any other game that uses that system have stable connections and no individual advantages based on connection simply because they're on a dedi is a joke.

MrBig said:
besides more stable connections and no host advantage?

MrBig said:

Sounds like you've never actually experience that sort of matchmaking. Saying CoD, BC1/2, GoW, or any other game that uses that system have stable connections and no individual advantages based on connection simply because they're on a dedi is a joke.
CoD doesn't use servers, not on 360 anyway. And have you played Gears 3? Playing on servers is a dream.

Reach's Action Sack is all but fun :(

Needs more Sumo Grande, Stealin' your flags and similar gametypes, or just replace it with FFA Action Sack and add some real mini games.

Hypertrooper said:
Ah, I get what you're saying. Works for me.

Tashi

Just played some MLG with no bloom settings. Uhhhhhhhh yeaaaaaaa this is what everyone's going crazy about?

Gabotron ES said:
Reach's Action Sack is all but fun :(

Needs more Sumo Grande, Stealin' your flags and similar gametypes, or just replace it with FFA Action Sack and add some real mini games.
Halo 3's action sack had some good games. All that's good in Reach is Boom Ball

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Domino Theory said:
There's a special edition of CEA?
I think he means playing CEA with a Kinect for the Kinect-exclusive bonus features. I was confused for a sec, too.

Domino Theory said:
There's a special edition of CEA?
With the Kinect, you'll be able to access special, arbitrarily* exclusive features, like the Library.

*The exclusivity of these features is arbitrary from a perspective of technical functionality.

bobs99 ... said:
Halo Glasslands is available to pre-order on Amazon.co.uk for £7.80, paperback is coming out already? Odd?

Either way im happy with that.
The release date for the paperback is Nov. 24th for the UK. US Version will release this Tuesday.

HiredN00bs said:
With the Kinect, you'll be able to access special, arbitrarily* exclusive features, like the Library.

*The exclusivity of these features is arbitrary from a perspective of technical functionality.
Not going to lie, that sort of irks me. Oh well, what I want to know is what kinect means for the next xbox hardware iteration. Will we get some new kinect like hardware, will it be included out of the box, will the old kinect work with the new system? etc.

Top Bottom