• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Pretty sure FIFA lets you take shots on goal while loading.
I dont think that counts as a mini game, neither does the shooting or logo slashing in devil may cry.

The copyright wont be water tight for ever mini game ever.

Horrible players on reach tonight, carry teammates all day some one with skill get on

Tunavi

Banned
Wait I thought this was just KyleJ joking, how can this be a real patent, what the hell?
http://www.giantbomb.com/interactive-loading-screen/92-1419/ said:
Interestingly, Namco owns the US patent to minigames during load screens ( US patent 5,718,632) . This is why, in many of Namco's games minigames can be found during the load screens. Early Playstation releases by Namco saw old arcade classics such as Galaxian or Rally-X adaptations appear as minigames during loading times. Namco's own Tekken franchise has always been one to provide minigames during load times. The patent was filed November 27, 1995 and so likely expires November 27 2015.

edit: here is is

How does Fifa get around the patent then? Its still a mini game during a load time. I suppose the complexity of the mini game is what determines if it breaches patent?

Whats to stop Namco or another company snapping up the patent again when it expires? I suppose theres ways to stop that kind of thing happening?

Tunavi

Banned
How does Fifa get around the patent then? Its still a mini game during a load time. I suppose the complexity of the mini game is what determines if it breaches patent?

Whats to stop Namco or another company snapping up the patent again when it expires? I suppose theres ways to stop that kind of thing happening?
from reddit:
You'd have to read the language of the Namco patent, but I bet it's because that FIFA minigame technically isn't part of the load-screen... you can keep playing even after it's "loaded".

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Is a loading screen the same thing as waiting for matches to be found? I'm not gonna read that patent so someone just tell me lol

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Plywood is a joke.
JjbFl.gif

Trying to finish this Misriah article I'm throwing together on Quit Prevention. 1,600 words in and about 60% done with writing. Then I just have to pretty it up with a few pictures. I hope you guys like some of these ideas.

Another Destiny roundup to write after that. Should get get that done soon as well.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Trying to finish this Misriah article I'm throwing together on Quit Prevention. 1,600 words in and about 60% done with writing. Then I just have to pretty it up with a few pictures. I hope you guys like some of these ideas.

Another Destiny roundup to write after that. Should get get that done soon as well.

Psh, I hate them already

Hehe don't blame me, I think I'll start watching the show ;p

I'm getting tired of True Blood's boobies, It's time to move a step fordward.

Game of Thrones and Spartacus Blood and Sand/Gods of the Arena have gotten me threw the past month, Enjoyed both a great deal.

True Blood based on what i watched was horrible.

Top Bottom