• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

Striker

Major Williams said:
I know it kind of died a while ago, but did we get any official confirmation for the frame rate of Reach?

It would be marvelous with a higher frame rate (45-60 fps), but I would take a pretty game over a higher frame rate. Yes I know about gameplay >graphics, but this is a sub-part of this topic. Who wouldn't love a higher frame rate?
It is going to be 30.

Louis Wu

user_nat said:
Maybe he was just a really good sniper?
Yeah, maybe.

mfomb.gif

If people are playing Halo I want in, ive had some AWEFUL games and want a team

Last 4 games in a row:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=1597127462&player=bobs99
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=1597120409&player=bobs99
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=1597108157&player=bobs99
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=1597145834&player=bobs99

FFS - the game I quit from Citadel was the worse, 4v1 on flag were they refused to cap the flag and messed with the spawns, not fun. That last game was similar. Halo sucks.

ugh, i finally take a break from ME2 and last game i get to go 4v1 in team slayer because isolation comes up and people just quit instead of playing. hopefully, the new veto system cuts down on this.

plus i'm super rusty because ME2 won't let me finish it. 37 hours, still not done.
...i can't quit you.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Whilst Forward Unto Dawn is officially still in 403 limbo, Louis has very kindly provided me with a means to keep the Mapping Reach article up.

Mapping Reach

It will take me maybe a few days to find out what's up with my site and thanks for your patience.

Blueblur1

Dani said:
Whilst Forward Unto Dawn is officially still in 403 limbo, Louis has very kindly provided me with a means to keep the Mapping Reach article up.

Mapping Reach

It will take me maybe a few days to find out what's up with my site and thanks for your patience.
Claude is the man. :)

Has urk/Shishka/Luke confirmed/denied or given any reasons as to why we're not getting or never get fully customisable button mapping in Halo games?

Especially in a game like Halo where so many users use so many different options that exist as they are.

I can't for the life of me think of one legitimate reason that doesn't involve:

"Cos we don't wanna" or

"We haven't all this time and it's worked out pretty well so far"

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
2 Minutes Turkish said:
Has urk/Shishka/Luke confirmed/denied or given any reasons as to why we're not getting or never get fully customisable button mapping in Halo games?

Especially in a game like Halo where so many users use so many different options that exist as they are.

I can't for the life of me think of one legitimate reason that doesn't involve:

"Cos we don't wanna" or

"We haven't all this time and it's worked out pretty well so far"
It's been mentioned multiple times by tons of designers that the reason why they don't allow you to to that is because you could have a myriad of permutations that cannot be tested. Some permutations could break the balance of the game while others could lock out the user from executing certain actions. Imagine a user who thinks he has made the best mapping ever, gets used to it and then realizes that he cannot perform an action that is elemental to gameplay? that would make him incredibly frustrated. Somtimes control is good.

Apath

rar said:
drop that control scheme silliness and just let us customise it ourselves.. this isnt 1996 anymore
Yeah, seriously. If I want to map jump to the right bumper, fire to the select button, and reload to L3, by God and Country I shall.

godhandiscen said:
It's been mentioned multiple times by tons of designers that the reason why they don't allow you to to that is because you could have a myriad of permutations that cannot be tested. Some permutations could break the balance of the game while others could lock out the user from executing certain actions. Imagine a user who thinks he has made the best mapping ever, gets used to it and then realizes that he cannot perform an action that is elemental to gameplay? that would make him incredibly frustrated. Somtimes control is good.

Not sure what you mean here.

Whether jump is A, B, X, RB, LT, I'm still pressing jump. What action could not be performed?

And even though I'm not 100% what the problem is, let's say they 'prevent' themselves from doing something somehow, can't they just...you know....change it back?

2 Minutes Turkish said:
And even though I'm not 100% what the problem is, let's say they 'prevent' themselves from doing something somehow, can't they just...you know....change it back?

It's like caps lock, man: forever irreversible.

Merguson

Banned
Dani said:

Mapping Reach

Very awesome for him to do that.

Anyways, your article is a good read especially during my 2nd class on Mondays. I do honestly believe that if Midship/Heretic is to make a return, it wouldn't be as a remake but rather a spiritual successor to ensure that all armor abilities would be of some use, especially sprint and jetpack.

You can get around the map pretty quick anyways and the jetpack would break the CTF games.. imo.

Striker

Merguson said:

Anyways, your article is a good read especially during my 2nd class on Mondays. I do honestly believe that if Midship/Heretic is to make a return, it wouldn't be as a remake but rather a spiritual successor to ensure that all armor abilities would be of some use, especially sprint and jetpack.

You can get around the map pretty quick anyways and the jetpack would break the CTF games.. imo.
That's probably why we'll see more larger and vertical maps. A map like Headlong would be wonderful.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Merguson said:

I didn't take the armour abilities into consideration when I pitched the Midship/Heretic idea but, in hindsight, you do make a very valid point. A map like Heretic in it's current form probably wouldn't be suited to the inclusion of things like the jetpack and as you said it would maybe break the map and gameplay altogether.

I think that when Reach ships and when we all get a grip with Reach's new gameplay dynamics, it might be fruitful to approach speculation on new maps again, in lieu of the expected/inevitable DLC, by looking back at past Halo maps and seeing which ones lend themselves best to Reach's gameplay flow.

Fans always want remakes and want to play their old favourites in the newest title and I think you've convinced me to earmark a follow-up down the line. =)

Blueblur1

Dani said:
I think we're going to find out either this Friday or the next. Hopefully we'll get another 50+ answer Q and A! :lol
I hope they aren't planning on blowing their load on Friday. I've got along boring week until I'm gone for PAX.

feel

Good article again Dani, looking forward to the next.
Dani said:
I think we're going to find out either this Friday or the next. Hopefully we'll get another 50+ answer Q and A! :lol
Invasion reveal would be great, but about a huge Q/A, I'm personally hoping they address the new "ranked/social" regular matchmaking first.

Pennybags

Letters said:
Good article again Dani, looking forward to the next.

Invasion reveal would be great, but about a huge Q/A, I'm personally hoping they address the new "ranked/social" regular matchmaking first.

I'm looking forward to hearing about this as well. I wonder if the new overall ranking system can help protect me from being donged on by those who are obviously way out of my league.

vhfive

Deputy Moonman said:
Vhfive. I was in matchmaking earlier and thought about sending you an invite, but I was playing horribly and took a nap instead.
Shoot me an invite anytime
even when I'm playing CoD
. I'm always down to dong on some people (or get donged on).

In Halo 3, we’d throw a map and game variant your way and if you didn’t like it, you had to shout “Veto!” repeatedly at the top of your lungs and then lament the fact that nobody else mashed the X button with you or that the secondary option wasn’t really something you wanted to play either. That’s lame.

This made me laugh pretty hard :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

feel

Pennybags said:
I'm looking forward to hearing about this as well. I wonder if the new overall ranking system can help protect me from being donged on by those who are obviously way out of my league.
From what I think I remember reading, there will be a hidden 1-50 level system using trueskill, so players get matched with other player of similar skill. But I want to know what kind of Experience/Leveling system there will be available for us to see, and how will they motivate the players to actually want to do good and etc. Hopefully there's something really addicting in place outside of Arena, which will probably be supercompetitive douchebags town, a place I'm not interested in frequenting.

edit- dammit halo 2 matchmaking seems to have started really dying now, it's taking forever to find each match :(

Dani said:
I didn't take the armour abilities into consideration when I pitched the Midship/Heretic idea but, in hindsight, you do make a very valid point. A map like Heretic in it's current form probably wouldn't be suited to the inclusion of things like the jetpack and as you said it would maybe break the map and gameplay altogether.

I think that when Reach ships and when we all get a grip with Reach's new gameplay dynamics, it might be fruitful to approach speculation on new maps again, in lieu of the expected/inevitable DLC, by looking back at past Halo maps and seeing which ones lend themselves best to Reach's gameplay flow.

Fans always want remakes and want to play their old favourites in the newest title and I think you've convinced me to earmark a follow-up down the line. =)
High Ground for team objective would be made pretty pointless with jetpacks :lol Narrows, on the other hand, would be pretty beast :D Snowbound would make jetpacks pointless. Valhalla would be ok... Last Resort would be a good use of them. They would make Construct actually worth something :lol

Hey Urk/other distinguished bungie gentlemen, I've got a concern for object-based objective gametypes:

Could you PLEASE make picking up the bomb/flag take priority over picking up weapons? I don't know how many times I'm hovering over the bomb, already right near the plant point, trying to pick it up, but I keep picking up the weapons of the people who dropped it, their attackers, etc.

I can't wait to see how people break and mould the jetpack. I am so curious as to the way it operates. Like, if I was falling, could I use the jetpack and not only slow my descent, but also start to climb again? Could it be used when on a mongoose???

Actuuuually, I have one super question:

What will happen if someone uses the jetpack to fly up and its off someone who is falling? Will both players casually bump off of one another? Will one player get killed from the impact or hurt?
I guess I just want to know how the player models interact with each other. They had no weight in Halo 3. I want a cone to at least crumple off of a Spartan's helmet before killing it. You know?

Merguson

Banned
Dani said:

Total speculation, but considering the changes the armor abilities are bringing to the core gameplay of Halo, I have to wonder if that is the reason why Bungie chose to work on multiplayer maps first. You could get an idea of what layout works and doesn't work with the new armor abilities. After some experimentation, you have a bunch of maps that can be used for several purposes AND work well with the armor abilities. You can put the multiplayer maps in the campaign as set pieces as well as use the experience to shape the rest of the campaign so that armor abilities can play a key role in the campaign overall.

As previously mentioned in this thread and the rest of the internet, you could also use the multiplayer maps for Firefight and it would work well considering it's been designed around armor abilities.

Actually, are we 100% certain that Firefight is returning? I know they said Halo 3 features would return but does ODST count? It is an 'campaign' expansion of Halo 3 but still.

urk said:
You ask for the impossible.

;)

Can I get a specific criteria search set to 2.00 k/d players on my team only?

Hydranockz said:
I can't wait to see how people break and mould the jetpack. I am so curious as to the way it operates. Like, if I was falling, could I use the jetpack and not only slow my descent, but also start to climb again? Could it be used when on a mongoose???

Actuuuually, I have one super question:

What will happen if someone uses the jetpack to fly up and its off someone who is falling? Will both players casually bump off of one another? Will one player get killed from the impact or hurt?
I guess I just want to know how the player models interact with each other. They had no weight in Halo 3. I want a cone to at least crumple off of a Spartan's helmet before killing it. You know?

This reminds me of when Bungie was explaining execution animations, and they mentioned both players being in the air at the same time. I didn't think that could happen enough to warrant its own animation, but with jetpacks that might actually happen often.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Church RvB said:
This reminds me of when Bungie was explaining execution animations, and they mentioned both players being in the air at the same time. I didn't think that could happen enough to warrant its own animation, but with jetpacks that might actually happen often.

I would love to assassinate someone in mid air, stabbing a knife into their jetpack would be amazingly satisfying. :D

Pennybags

Not a Jellyfish said:
I would love to assassinate someone in mid air, stabbing a knife into their jetpack would be amazingly satisfying. :D

Wouldn't that just make him/her fall? :)

Urk said:
You ask for the impossible.

;)
You're not implying I'm bad, are you? :lol
I'd be lying if I said I was good

Ssparks said:
Hey guys I somehow did my own version of the Pull Medal found in Reach, I would like my future medal now.
You actually did it twice, if there isn't a minimum altitude requirement. Still needs more jetpack.

NOKYARD

Hydranockz said:
jetpack... Could it be used when on a mongoose???
Q - If we have 3 players in a turreted vehicle and we activate our jetpacks in unison, will we become airborne?

A? -
Yes. When hogs fly.

Top Bottom