• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

VaLiancY

Is that a Plasma Rifle? Christ, it looks like an actual rifle now. :lol I love the attention to detail to the Covenant weapons, so organic and beautiful. All within the same theme but each has a distinguished identity .

<3 the new screens, the new info (from the French site at least) was stuff I'd mainly expected.

I see so many faces in the armour.. it's kind of scary.

Thanks again Brian :D

wwm0nkey

Not a Jellyfish said:
:lol that was a pretty awesome fail though. I approve of it and I should know I fail more than anyone I know. :D
Well at least there is someone else that fails lol

On topic though I seriously LOVE the way that the Plasma Rifle looks!

Magni

VaLiancY said:
Is that a Plasma Rifle? Christ, it looks like an actual rifle now. :lol I love the attention to detail to the Covenant weapons, so organic and beautiful. All within the same theme but each has a distinguished identity .

wwm0nkey said:
Well at least there is someone else that fails lol

On topic though I seriously LOVE the way that the Plasma Rifle looks!

Nope, according to urk it's a new weapon :D

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20545442&postcount=20801

v - Page 210

Popeck

kylej said:
Because you could abuse the hell out perks if there's no respawn limit.

If I have understood correctly, you can't pick armor abilites from dead enemies, so I don't think that will be a problem.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
wwm0nkey said:
I wonder what it is then, it looks like it can destroy quite a few people.

Also I don't know if anyone pointed this out but it looks like we can have separate armor colors like arms being different than the body.

Could be a Covenant shotgun, we have never had one and who knows, could be kinda cool.

kylej said:
Because you could abuse the hell out perks if there's no respawn limit.

I don't see it, sure you can sprint to weapon spawns at the start of the game, and then take the jetpack for a ride after you die, but what exact advantage does that give you, and why is that somehow an invalid strategy?

Devin Olsen said:
Oh wow that's right... What ever happened with the GAF montage?

Last I heard your computer almost exploded and you were going to do it in two parts and then merge them together at the end...

New pc arrived on Monday (with faulty RAM, thank you very much). I've been re-installing everything over the last couple of days (including Quicktime and Vegas today). I'm running on half RAM at the moment so I can only do so much 'til i get the replacement (running on 2, should be 4). But progress is being made. Half of it is in the bag and already rendered (in bits currently). Second half shouldnt take too long :)

edit: Also, come the fuck on GI!!!

Kapura

Banned
Not a Jellyfish said:
Could be a Covenant shotgun, we have never had one and who knows, could be kinda cool.
It wouldn't be absolutely analogous to a shotgun, though (also mauler is a covenant shotgun). Sage seems to want to put every weapon in a place that overlaps with others, but not be completely the same like the Beam Rifle and Sniper Rifle.

nilam01

Banned
Wow amazing new assets. Check out the improvement on the needle rifle from alpha to beta ->

needlerifleright.jpg

halo-reach-xbox-360-084.jpg

The shading and texturing is soo much better.

zumphry

Banned
Trasher said:
Here you go. Re-host them if you want to use them:

Did them pretty hastily, and some of them were a bitch to resize lol.

Those look a lot like those vending machine stickers, which is probably why I liked how they looked so much. :lol

Not much to say on the new info though, everything I've wanted to say has been said. :/

Magni

2 Minutes Turkish said:
So uh yeah.

Still nothing on my question last page?

No word on bot multiplayer options?

Bungie have never like bots. They're nice to have, but not at the expense of other stuff. It take time to code bots that work nice, especially in as complex a game as Halo. SP and MP AI are completely different.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Kapura said:
It wouldn't be absolutely analogous to a shotgun, though (also mauler is a covenant shotgun). Sage seems to want to put every weapon in a place that overlaps with others, but not be completely the same like the Beam Rifle and Sniper Rifle.

Never clicked with me that the mauler is a covenant shotgun, doesn't shoot anything that sticks in you or that is plasma. :lol

MagniHarvald said:
Bungie have never like bots. They're nice to have, but not at the expense of other stuff. It take time to code bots that work nice, especially in as complex a game as Halo. SP and MP AI are completely different.

Well the game IS coming on 2 discs, so I figured maybe it would be a surprise.

Merguson said:
Maybe I'm just confused or I just missed something, but someone mentioned secondary fire.

Um what?

I think that person just meant holding the trigger down vs. tapping it. Basically like the plasma Pistol or new grenade launcher has.

Spasm

BladedExpert said:
I think thats the new Beam Rifle (Covie sniper).
Which may or may not have an alternate fire method (holding the trigger) that's like a Sentinel Beam... To answer Merguson's question.

Dirtbag

BladedExpert said:
I think thats the new Beam Rifle (Covie sniper).

Yeah I agree. I just thought that was what Urk was referencing about the new plasma rifle looking more like a rifle and not this:

halo-reach-xbox-360-089.jpg

which looks exactly like the plasma rifle to me.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
The weapon that looks like a long Plasma Rifle could be the Covenant equivalent of the AR, if anything, since we already have the Needle Rifle to cover the single shot role. Looks beastly, nonetheless.

The one that looks like the Beam Rifle is most likely the "Sentinel Beam" Rifle we saw in the MP trailer for a second.

Also, the Falcon not being in the Beta is a mistake. It's a new vehicle, it needs to be tested. I don't want it to turn into the shit-storm that the Hornet was (going from overpowered nuke flyer to the weakling it is on Avalanche).

MagniHarvald said:
Woah? Did I miss something while on one of my trips to Internetless-land?

Nope.

Just my guess. Probably shouldn't have used the word is.

I just figured that since so much was being crammed into this, it seemed logical Bungie would give us a Multiplayer disc and a Single Player disc.

I know that's not the reason they gave us 2 discs for ODST, but I think everyone was cool with two discs for distinctly different parts of the game, and it would give Bunige a little more felxibilty and space I guess to get more in?

Kibbles

Definitely looks like there is some armor degradation going on :) In some shots the Spartan's legs are fairly clean, and in others he'll have dirt up to his knees.
Dax01 said:
Hm? It's always been like that.
I meant compared to recent screens/footage of the AR.

ng385s.jpg

Kapura

Banned
Looking at the picture of the new not-a-plasma-rifle weapon to try and determine function from form. First obstacle: Covenant technology isn't Human tech, so there is a disconect. Looking at the weapons assuming we had never played with them, the Needler looks to be much, much stronger than the Plasma Rifle, something like comparing the BR to the Halo 3 Magnum. We know that the Needler is powerful sometimes, but it kills in a different fashion than the plasma. Form and function have an odd disconnect, but we can use what we already know to help us.

The first thing we know about the new weapon is the front, which is similar to the plasma rifle. Because of the arc mechanism seen in all two of the plasma weapons we use, we can assume this is also a plasma weapon.

But looking at it further, we can see the weapon is essentially double the length of the standard Plasma Rifle. In bullet weapons, a longer barrel indicates increased accuracy. We can't assume that here, however, because plasma doesn't move through a barrel and we don't exactly know what dictates the accuracy of a plasma round anyway. However, we see the same circular grip observed in the previous two Halos' Beam Rifle. This further cements the position that it may be more accurate, but it certainly assures us that it is, at the very least, more powerful that the pistol counterpart. The underside of the barrel looks like a good place to put the off hand; as through you were carrying a BR.

So this is what I believe: It is a covenant counterpart to the human Assault Rifle that fires plasma. Further, I believe it has a longer range than the assault rifle, and lower than the DMR. I have no justification for this other than I gut feeling, but I think
hope
it'll be a burst fire weapon; a true Covenant BR.

I think that a range there would make a nice balance for the ranges of "standard" weapons (needler is tbd):

Sniper > Covenant Beamer >= DMR >= Needle Rifle > Assault Plasma Weapon >= Magnum >= AR > Plasma Pistol > Shotgun.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
I know that's not the reason they gave us 2 discs for ODST, but I think everyone was cool with two discs for distinctly different parts of the two games, and it would give Bunige a little more felxibilty and space I guess to get more in?
Fixed it for you. But I'd imagine there would be some other factors to warrant another disc?

Dirtbag

Spasm said:
Which may or may not have an alternate fire method (holding the trigger) that's like a Sentinel Beam... To answer Merguson's question.

I can't picture that being the case, there would be no reason to use the beam fire over a stronger single shot. I think its just a different way of thinking about a sniper rifle, and have it function differently then the human version (since no one used the beam rifle over the human sniper). I picture a sentinel beam that does much more damage, and scopes. Pretty deadly.

Dirtbag said:
Yeah I agree. I just thought that was what Urk was referencing about the new plasma rifle looking more like a rifle and not this:

http://image.jeuxvideo.com/images/x3/h/a/halo-reach-xbox-360-089.jpg[IMG]
which looks exactly like the plasma rifle to me.[/QUOTE]

Right, gotcha.

It looks pretty different to the Halo 3 Plasme Rifle, to my eyes at least. I wonder how the Plasma Rifle looks. Or if it's even in the game. Replaced by this new weapon perhaps?

Dirtbag said:

http://image.jeuxvideo.com/images/x3/h/a/halo-reach-xbox-360-089.jpg[/IMG
which looks exactly like the plasma rifle to me.[/QUOTE]
Ghal commented on the gun in that picture saying how much better looking the plasma rifle was. Urk responded saying that it's an entirely new weapon.

Kapura said:
Sniper > Covenant Beamer >= DMR >= Needle Rifle > Assault Plasma Weapon >= Magnum >= AR > Plasma Pistol > Shotgun.

I like this. Also, some great spec there. I be noddin' my head a lot to what you've been thinking.

Hydranockz said:
Fixed it for you. But I'd imagine there would be some other factors to warrant another disc?

Possibly.

But just judging by everything that has chaned in Reach, and everything they seem to be cramming in, I figured Bungie would have no issue splitting this game into 2 discs for 2 parts.

As I said, I doubt ANYONE would have a genuine issue with the MP disc being separate to the SP disc.

I just figured it would give Bungie more flexibility and space to work with.

Then maybe they can squeeze bots in??

Dirtbag

Kapura said:
Looking at the picture of the new not-a-plasma-rifle weapon to try and determine function from form. First obstacle: Covenant technology isn't Human tech, so there is a disconect. Looking at the weapons assuming we had never played with them, the Needler looks to be much, much stronger than the Plasma Rifle, something like comparing the BR to the Halo 3 Magnum. We know that the Needler is powerful sometimes, but it kills in a different fashion than the plasma. Form and function have an odd disconnect, but we can use what we already know to help us.

The first thing we know about the new weapon is the front, which is similar to the plasma rifle. Because of the arc mechanism seen in all two of the plasma weapons we use, we can assume this is also a plasma weapon.

But looking at it further, we can see the weapon is essentially double the length of the standard Plasma Rifle. In bullet weapons, a longer barrel indicates increased accuracy. We can't assume that here, however, because plasma doesn't move through a barrel and we don't exactly know what dictates the accuracy of a plasma round anyway. However, we see the same circular grip observed in the previous two Halos' Beam Rifle. This further cements the position that it may be more accurate, but it certainly assures us that it is, at the very least, more powerful that the pistol counterpart. The underside of the barrel looks like a good place to put the off hand; as through you were carrying a BR.

So this is what I believe: It is a covenant counterpart to the human Assault Rifle that fires plasma. Further, I believe it has a longer range than the assault rifle, and lower than the DMR. I have no justification for this other than I gut feeling, but I think
hope

I think that a range there would make a nice balance for the ranges of "standard" weapons (needler is tbd):

There is no scope on the new plasma rifle thing.

Kapura said:

hope

I think you can actually see it firing in the MP trailer, it looks like it has fast moving projectiles that fire at a low rate. Check the scene "Covenant's vs. elites" (1:07) and go frame by frame. You'll see it firing with a long contrail.

You can see standard PR fire for comparison at 23 seconds in, blue rapid fire shots.

I had assumed the elites were all using PR's in the vid, and noticing that slow ROF, now I see they are mostly using this new awesome gun.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
As I said, I doubt ANYONE would have a genuine issue with the MP disc being separate to the SP disc.
I dunno. I am pretty lazy. If the multiplayer disc was in, I would just have to quench my need for SP with some MP instead :p

Kapura

Banned
Dirtbag said:
There is no scope on the new plasma rifle thing.
I never saw the scope on the Carbine. But regardless, I don't think that it's scoped either way. Plasma isn't a precision tool. I think this will have slightly greater range than the AR, not replace the Needle Rifle.

Top Bottom