• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC Full Campaign Preview (H2A runs at 1328 x 1080 native)

btags

They should just drop the useless instant-switch thing.

Want to play the old game as it is? Fine, just include it in the package.

That or just have the ability to make it slowly fade to the old engine, like CEA. I like the idea of the switching, and it being instant is cool, but not at the cost of resolution.

IGN has posted their massive article of the campaigns for The Master Chief Collection. Still going through it, but they mention Halo 2 Anniversary runs at 1328 x 1080 at 60 fps native. Friggen impressive!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10...o-the-master-chief-collection-story-ign-first

Can you put the below quote in the OP? This thread could get bad really fast.

For those of you who like to start message board wars over such things, let's get this out of the way: Halo 2's campaign isn't quiiiiiiite 1080p. Due to running the original graphics engine and the Xbox One-ified Anniversary graphics engine simultaneously and the original Halo 2 audio engine and remastered Anniversary audio engine simultaneously, Halo 2's campaign does run at 60fps but, resolution-wise, clocks in at 1328x1080. Here's an explanation from 343 executive producer Dan Ayoub: “During development we were really pleased with the way the engine and buffer allowed us to switch instantly between classic and Anniversary engines that are running simultaneously – however that, as you might expect, put a hit on resolution. The campaign of Halo 2: Anniversary looked fantastic at 720p with the level of detail and clarity it gave us, but like every other aspect of the game and tech, we wanted to push it further. So in the last weeks of development, our teams were able to meet a stretch goal and the campaign of Halo 2: Anniversary now runs 60 fps at a crisp resolution of 1328x1080, which is a significant and meaningful boost in image quality we think fans are really going to appreciate. All of the other games across the entire package of The Master Chief Collection run 60 fps at 1920x1080 native.”

Ridley327

It'll stretch the pixels to be 16:9.

Yeah, it's not that uncommon a trick, although it was more of a Japanese thing last gen than a western one. It goes as far back as the original NES, where its resolution was 256x240, which was then stretched out to 320x240 to fit your TV screen.

For those saying it isn't native 1080 because it's running two engines at once, isn't Halo: CE Anniversary running two engines at the same time as well at native 1080? Genuine question here.

I'd guess the main two reasons are that Halo CEA is made for 360 and ported to One (so an up-res is likely all they did IMO, more headroom for performance), whereas H2A is created bespoke for the One. It's also running on top of Halo 2, which itself was more intensive than Halo 1 due to the more advanced physics.

Holy fuck. This is even worse than Killzone:Shadow Falls shitty excuse for "1080p".

This is almost as bad as The Order:1886... Next they'll announce the game is filled with black bars.

Finaj

Here's the full explanation:

"For those of you who like to start message board wars over such things, let's get this out of the way: Halo 2's campaign isn't quiiiiiiite 1080p. Due to running the original graphics engine and the Xbox One-ified Anniversary graphics engine simultaneously and the original Halo 2 audio engine and remastered Anniversary audio engine simultaneously, Halo 2's campaign does run at 60fps but, resolution-wise, clocks in at 1328x1080. Here's an explanation from 343 executive producer Dan Ayoub: “During development we were really pleased with the way the engine and buffer allowed us to switch instantly between classic and Anniversary engines that are running simultaneously – however that, as you might expect, put a hit on resolution. The campaign of Halo 2: Anniversary looked fantastic at 720p with the level of detail and clarity it gave us, but like every other aspect of the game and tech, we wanted to push it further. So in the last weeks of development, our teams were able to meet a stretch goal and the campaign of Halo 2: Anniversary now runs 60 fps at a crisp resolution of 1328x1080, which is a significant and meaningful boost in image quality we think fans are really going to appreciate. All of the other games across the entire package of The Master Chief Collection run 60 fps at 1920x1080 native.”

So, H2A Campaign was only 720p a couple of weeks ago. Damn, I guess the two engines running at the same time really dampens performance.

Orayn

Plenty of games did this last-gen, though that was partially because the PS3 had a wonky scaling unit. It's a valid approach with the potential to look a bit nicer than scaling in both directions.

SerTapTap

Hope it's not stretched, or if it is the visuals are somehow designed around it (I don't see how that's possible with an old game). Would rather play with 1:1 pixels and black bars than "wii widescreen" BS

Plenty of games did this last-gen, though that was partially because of PS3 having a wonky scaling unit. It's a valid approach with the potential to look a bit nicer than scaling in both directions.

Doesn't the PS3 just...not scale? It seems to actually switch between 1080p and 720p, which is a bit annoying since my HDMI splitters don't seem to handle it ideally (makes a weird BLERP sound and flickers)

I don't see no explanation.

Hardware not powerful enough to fit their requirements of two graphical engines running simultaneously, because the devs want to include the classic mode, which is a pretty cool little feature.

What's not to see?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Pretty sure 343 always said Halo 2 A campaign was the one spot that might not hit 1080p.

Solid video today, aside from IGN's player.

Count me as one who could care less about the instant switching if its going to sacrifice resolution.

Obligatory:
carelessp8dqn.gif

Amneisac

Do we have any updates on the co-op? I'm curious about online co-op specifically. Halo: CE Anniversary had lag that made it unplayable online. As I understand it, they basically just created an online/offline co-op, where it was sending ALL control inputs to the 'host' xbox and then relaying back to the client xbox.

Do we know if it's going to be the same for TMCC? If so, I'll probably have to pass because that was some of the worst input lag I've ever experienced in a game.

Ridley327

Could they get away with calling that 1080p on the box, or are there something like ISO rules that would prevent it?

Well, there's not even a listing for supported resolutions on the XB1 boxes. Not that it would matter, since any that they would have put on there would be referring to what the system itself can output the game at, and not the internal resolution of the game itself.

Heigic

Are there any advantages running at this strange res? If it is the same amount of pixels as 900p why not just run at 900p. Marketing?

So, H2A Campaign was only 720p a couple of weeks ago. Damn, I guess the two engines running at the same time really dampens performance.

Yeah, it's something I said two or three months back. If they couldn't reach native 1080p while running two engines simultaneously then give us the option to toggle the feature on or off. I would personally play with it off for a full native 1080p image. Hopefully if enough people want it, they will include it with a day one patch.

Yeah, it's not that uncommon a trick, although it was more of a Japanese thing last gen than a western one. It goes as far back as the original NES, where its resolution was 256x240, which was then stretched out to 320x240 to fit your TV screen.

That was common in those days.PC, Amiga, ST and older systems all had non square pixel modes

omonimo

Banned
Holy fuck. This is even worse than Killzone:Shadow Falls shitty excuse for "1080p".

This is almost as bad as The Order:1886... Next they'll announce the game is filled with black bars.
Almost? I though this res it's even lower of 900p, the order it's more 1080p in comparison.

iMax

Explanation being that they couldn't achieve 60fps at 1920x1080.

Hardware not powerful enough to fit their requirements of two graphical engines running simultaneously, because the devs want to include the classic mode, which is a pretty cool little feature.

What's not to see?

As in I don't see an explanation why Halo: CE, 3, and 4 can all hit 1080p but Halo 2 can't. Also rather disappointing I can't shoot Ghost fuel tanks anymore :/

Prologue

Why was 343 so persistent in having Halo 2 anniversary include the instant switch feature between the engines instead of having full 1080p? I'm sure no one would have cared to have a 1-3 second wait time.

Either way, unbelievable package for a very surprising value. A nostalgic title for xbox one players, a game where many people can feel home to. Can't wait to pick it up in November.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Are there any advantages running at this strange res? If it is the same amount of pixels as 900p why not just run at 900p. Marketing?
Could be related to how the console scales. Sometimes scaling is smoother when the vertical res is at 1080

Toki767

As in I don't see an explanation why Halo: CE, 3, and 4 can all hit 1080p but Halo 2 can't.

The only reason Halo: CE is 1080p is probably because it was on 360 first and they're upping the resolution on that version rather than going from scratch like with Halo 2.

I had a feeling H2A would suffer going back when talk was up about trying to hit 1080p, It's not worth instant swapping between the original and anniversary graphics IMO

2 seconds of black screen fade and 1080p > instant swapping

omonimo

Banned
As in I don't see an explanation why Halo: CE, 3, and 4 can all hit 1080p but Halo 2 can't. Also rather disappointing I can't shoot Ghost fuel tanks anymore :/
Or probably all the collection use the same res. I suspect.

Nephtes

I wish they would have given us the option to NOT run the Xbox version of Halo 2 in the background to allow Halo 2 MCC edition to run at 1080p...

Just my $0.02...

CE (or CE:A in this instance), 3, and 4 are Xbox 360 ports, meaning their graphics aren't "intensive enough" to max out the One, and can run at 1080p. The graphics engine for H2A is designed for the One from scratch.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Halo is Halo. Getting remastered versions of a seminal FPS series is an amazing accomplishment regardless.

Top Bottom