• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC Full Campaign Preview (H2A runs at 1328 x 1080 native)

Tegernako

Banned
If the posters in the second half of the first page of this thread are correct, the developer actually chose to run slightly lower than 900P. WTF? Why wouldn't they just run 900P and call it that for the extra pixels? All I can assume is that they are so hung up on having a 1080 tucked into the resolution description that they gimped the resolution a few thousand pixels for the bullet points.
Did you bother reading the IGN article or the like 50 posts explaining why?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Why pre-scaling? Post-scaling is closest to what you're going to see.

Different displays and different methods of viewing a game scale things differently. For example, some players hook a capture card with pass through to their PC's, then use the PC to scale it with something like Lanczos scaling and add in SMAA or FXAA to get a sharper and less aliased picture.

For H2A campaign, it should be post stretch to 16:9, but not post stretch to whatever screen resolution if someone wants a comparison.

jbug617

Banned
IGN Xbox Podcast announced that on October 22nd they are going to do a viewer request live stream of Halo MCC (2hrs only).

Shin-Ra

Different displays and different methods of viewing a game scale things differently. For example, some players hook a capture card with pass through to their PC's, then use the PC to scale it with something like Lanczos scaling and add in SMAA or FXAA to get a sharper and less aliased picture.

For H2A campaign, it should be post stretch to 16:9, but not post stretch to whatever screen resolution if someone wants a comparison.
You're limited by the output resolution settings offered by the console. What are you suggesting is more representative than 1080p?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
You're limited by the output resolution settings offered by the console. What are you suggesting is more representative than 1080p?

I'm saying that if an individual person wants the best impression of comparing Halo 4 Xbox One vs Halo 4 Xbox 360, ideally you would capture an unscaled image that was as close to the actual native image as possible, then use whatever scaling method you would typically use to view it. So for example, while you would want the 1080p version of the Halo 4 MCC image, you would want the 1280x720 Xbox 360 Halo 4 and then scale that up using whatever scaling method you typically do (be it simply TV upscaling, or more advanced scaling).

If the posters in the second half of the first page of this thread are correct, the developer actually chose to run slightly lower than 900P. WTF? Why wouldn't they just run 900P and call it that for the extra pixels? All I can assume is that they are so hung up on having a 1080 tucked into the resolution description that they gimped the resolution a few thousand pixels for the bullet points.

Scaling on both axes increases how noticeable the scaling artifacts are, dude. Pure pixel count is not the only determiner of image quality.

Shin-Ra

I'm saying that if an individual person wants the best impression of comparing Halo 4 Xbox One vs Halo 4 Xbox 360, ideally you would capture an unscaled image that was as close to the actual native image as possible, then use whatever scaling method you would typically use to view it. So for example, while you would want the 1080p version of the Halo 4 MCC image, you would want the 1280x720 Xbox 360 Halo 4 and then scale that up using whatever scaling method you typically do (be it simply TV upscaling, or more advanced scaling).
I thought they were comparing the two TMCC versions of Halo 2.

edit: The point was 1080p upscaled output (even on 360) is the most relevant comparison for someone comparing how the games are going to look on their 1080p display.

I don't think many people use their own upscalers.

NickFire

Did you bother reading the IGN article or the like 50 posts explaining why?

Maybe I'm somehow missing it in the article, but it seems ign first claims halo 2 is in 1080p, and that at the very end says it's not quite there in the facts section, followed by the developer blaming having a second version running. Someone below said its because scaling is better the way they did it. If true great, but pardon me for not believing a damn anyone associated with MS or its properties says at this point.

HTupolev

Maybe I'm somehow missing it in the article, but it seems ign first claims halo 2 is in 1080p, and that at the very end says it's not quite there in the facts section, followed by the developer blaming having a second version running. Someone below said its because scaling is better the way they did it. If true great, but pardon me for not believing a damn anyone associated with MS or its properties says at this point.
They're blaming the fact that it's sub-1080 on the other version.

1600x900 versus 1328x1080 was a decision made mostly around the quality of sampling and scaling.

Head.spawn

Just skim the thread for Frankies' posts.

The Halo 2 game in this collection is running both vanilla Halo 2 @1080p60fps & the upgraded Halo 2 Annivesary @ 1328x1080p/60fps at the same time, with audio assets from both games. You can choose to play the pure retro version at 1080p60fps or change it to the updated version running at 1328x1080/60fps.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't just take the word of the developer typing directly to us in this very forum, but he's a pretty good reference... weird name, but very quotable. :)

Well, I guess no further explanation is needed here, because you're going to believe whatever you want to believe.

Will halo 2 anniversary, halo 3 and halo 4 all have split screen multiplayer online?

Also any word if halo 3 split screen uses the full screen or is it like the 360 version?

Akai__

Will halo 2 anniversary, halo 3 and halo 4 all have split screen multiplayer online?

Also any word if halo 3 split screen uses the full screen or is it like the 360 version?

It's 2 player split-screen for all campaign modes and 4 player split-screen for every MP mode. Basically, if it was supported in the OG version, it will be supported in these ports.

Don't know about the black bars. Now that the game is 1080p, maybe the scaling will change for split-screen somehow, but I'm really not sure.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Almost a month left. We need a thread for this like we had before, so I can start posting number of days left everyday :(

lord pie

Forgive me if this has been discussed to death, but a friend just asked me about this quote;

the engine and buffer allowed us to switch instantly between classic and Anniversary engines that are running simultaneously – however that, as you might expect, put a hit on resolution

(bolded because it's something I wouldn't expect..)
Strikes me as really strange. Rendering both versions of the game every frame, but only displaying one makes little sense. I mean, if you only see one version for a given frame, then why render the other?
The only sensible reasons for doing this that I can imagine are either;

1) the old renderer is so deeply embedded in game code (ie, it's such a mess) that disabling it is just too much work.. or

2) it is possible they are using feedback from the render to influence gameplay - for example, when drawing a primitive, the GPU can report back the number of pixels that get written. Hypothetically they could be using something like that to change AI behaviour (ie, this character is on screen, drawing X pixels, so AI aggression is increased). However doing the same in a different renderer would be pretty trivial unless it were extremely context sensitive.

I can't think of any other good reasons that doesn't have a trivial workaround. It won't be a memory issue - they have 5GB after all - and ESRAM is just temporary memory for the given frame so it's not that either. I'm inclined to go with no.1 ...

Really strange.

JeffG

Forgive me if this has been discussed to death, but a friend just asked me about this quote;

(bolded because it's something I wouldn't expect..)
Strikes me as really strange. Rendering both versions of the game every frame, but only displaying one makes little sense. I mean, if you only see one version for a given frame, then why render the other?
The only sensible reasons for doing this that I can imagine are either;

1) the old renderer is so deeply embedded in game code (ie, it's such a mess) that disabling it is just too much work.. or

2) it is possible they are using feedback from the render to influence gameplay - for example, when drawing a primitive, the GPU can report back the number of pixels that get written. Hypothetically they could be using something like that to change AI behaviour (ie, this character is on screen, drawing X pixels, so AI aggression is increased). However doing the same in a different renderer would be pretty trivial unless it were extremely context sensitive.

I can't think of any other good reasons that doesn't have a trivial workaround. It won't be a memory issue - they have 5GB after all - and ESRAM is just temporary memory for the given frame so it's not that either. I'm inclined to go with no.1 ...

Really strange.

Not that strange. The both engines are running and rendering to memory. At the press of a button, one pointer is set to which buffer gets the physical device.

maneil99

They will all have the original features of the 360 games, so all have splitscreen, nothing else is know yet (Like if it's still 60fps)

Flai

Not that strange. The both engines are running and rendering to memory. At the press of a button, one pointer is set to which buffer gets the physical device.

Seems very strange to me. Why is the other engine rendering if it never gets displayed? Keeping all assets etc in memory is of course needed for the instant switch, but I can't see the reason why both engines would be rendering in every frame.

Top Bottom