• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC Full Campaign Preview (H2A runs at 1328 x 1080 native)

Is it bad that I'm most excited to play the Halo 4 campaign?

i08HjaxtfxuzO.png

Sorry couldn't resist.

Seriously though lots of people seem to love something about it.

Skele7on

Banned
have you seen what the game looks like though.

It's so dreamy I could literally take it on a date.

I just want to play this now, I have two weeks off just to sit and play it.

I have never been so excited in all my life.

You said something pretty weird and this is the reaction to it.
Hey Frank I have a question, the resolution for Halo2A campaign in classic mode is 1080p then? or the classic mode keep the remake version resolution too?

the last option will have more sense in a technical point of view but the original post of the topic said the opposite:
- Halo 2 campaign: 1080p/60
- Halo 2A campaign: 1328x1080/60.

TheOddOne

Hey Frank I have a question, the resolution for Halo2A campaign in classic mode is 1080p then? or the classic mode keep the remake version resolution too?

the last option will have more sense in a technical point of view but the original post of the topic said the opposite:
- Halo 2 campaign: 1080p/60
- Halo 2A campaign: 1328x1080/60.
From the OP:
Halo 2 campaign: 1080p/60
Halo 2A campaign: 1328x1080/60

sir_jachn

Neo Member
I don't know if it's been addressed here previously or not but more than the upgraded visuals I'm even more excited for the possiblity of better audio in Halo 4. The soundtrack and audio in general was wonderful but was really flat and compressed, especially during the cutscenes. Any info on this part?

x-Lundz-x

The one thing that should be clear is that I hope 343i understands for future titles is that people want OPTIONS, especially if features get in the way and can compromise visual fidelity.

The second they got to a point during development and realized they were going to have an issue getting the game to run in true 1080P there should have been a decision made to make the instant switch mode an optional feature.

Frankie, I can almost assure you if you guys had put out a poll asking us (the consumers) what our thoughts were you would have had your answer.

As an optional feature, it's great. For those very few people who actually will use the switch mode around every turn good for them. They should have an option to turn on instant switch mode, lowering their resolution of the game and they can enjoy that feature.

For the majority of us who do not care about seeing what the game looked like 10 years ago, we should have an option to have the instant switch mode disabled, and enjoy a true HD gaming experience with all the new enhancements.

As I've stated, this overall package is an amazing value and this does not really take away from that, but this decision to not make this an optional feature is kinda blowing my mind. And I don't want to hear about extra dev costs etc... This is 343i we are talking about, they have a blank check from MS and Halo is their baby. And I'm also sure 343i has some of the best talent in the industry. They could have done whatever they wanted to do, and they chose to make the game like this.

Wizman23

Banned
I don't understand why they did this. I took advantage of that feature maybe twice during the Halo CE Anniversary. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

To each their own. While playing through CE I used it CONSTANTLY, and will use it constantly on H2A. Such an amazing feature to see how games have gotten better over the years at the press of a button. The fact that it is instant on H2A is the cherry on top.

mocoworm

They said 1920x1080 @60fps for every fucking game in this collection.

I don't want this switch feature! I want real 1080p! I know how the game looked like 10 years ago.

Such a stupid decision. I want to cancel my preorder and boycott the shit out of this game, even-though I am a huge Halo fan.

Ok you're right guys. The resolution of the Halo 2 campaign shouldn't prevent me from having a lot of fun with this amazing collection.

I'm just gonna skip the Halo 2 campaign.

AMAZING! :D

Madness

So it is sure? when we switch back, the game change directly ingame resolution to 1080p sound weird to me but if true that's cool then :)

Yeah the original campaign is always running simultaneously at 1920x1080p at 60 fps, it is the Halo 2 Anniversary campaign that will be running at a slightly lower 1328x1080p at 60 fps to account for all the improvements made.

Leyasu

Banned
how about a patch that lets us have a version without switching that runs at fullhd?

off topic here...also this close to release, you must surely know stinkles if we can choose the datacenter where we matchmake!!

so if you please, is it the middle finger for everyone not in north america or not?

thanks

I mostly agree with IGN actually. The multiplayer was let down slightly by pointless fluff but was hardly ruined by it the campaign had some rather dense story telling. However on the whole loved Halo 4.
Halo 4 isnt a bad game by any means and there is a lot of fun to be had. I think the focus on loadout ordinance and big maps made a huge portion of the community feel like what made halo great was missing. I miss the arena style multiplayer and tight team based maps designed around weapons spawns. Everything about what 343 is doing points to the fact that the get it now. They owned up to mistakes which is not something that is easy to do. They are promising to get back to the basics of halo. There is a lot to be excited about as a Halo fan over the next couple of years.

The one thing that should be clear is that I hope 343i understands for future titles is that people want OPTIONS, especially if features get in the way and can compromise visual fidelity.

The second they got to a point during development and realized they were going to have an issue getting the game to run in true 1080P there should have been a decision made to make the instant switch mode an optional feature.

Frankie, I can almost assure you if you guys had put out a poll asking us (the consumers) what our thoughts were you would have had your answer.

As an optional feature, it's great. For those very few people who actually will use the switch mode around every turn good for them. They should have an option to turn on instant switch mode, lowering their resolution of the game and they can enjoy that feature.

For the majority of us who do not care about seeing what the game looked like 10 years ago, we should have an option to have the instant switch mode disabled, and enjoy a true HD gaming experience with all the new enhancements.

As I've stated, this overall package is an amazing value and this does not really take away from that, but this decision to not make this an optional feature is kinda blowing my mind. And I don't want to hear about extra dev costs etc... This is 343i we are talking about, they have a blank check from MS and Halo is their baby. And I'm also sure 343i has some of the best talent in the industry. They could have done whatever they wanted to do, and they chose to make the game like this.
Every game has features that could be scrapped to improve performance and I don't think dev teams can make all of those decisions by polling on neogaf. Istaswitching is a great feature that isn't going anywhere so whining to Frankie isnt going to change anything. You may think that they can just add a full 1080p version by making an insta switch option but things aren't that easy. They obviously made this design choice early on so its not going anywhere. I would be baffled if those pixels were a deal breaker for people.

Resolution debates should go look at this site. I know that H2:A isn't quite 900p, but darn close. This site shows clearly that 900p isn't ugly or even very noticeable compared to 1080p...and I'm sitting darn close to my monitor. A TV experience would even be less noticeable.

Source:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dualshockers+1080p+vs+900p

EDIT: For some reason Gaf is blocking that site...had to use "let me google that for you"

Halo 4 isnt a bad game by any means and there is a lot of fun to be had. I think the focus on loadout ordinance and big maps made a huge portion of the community feel like what made halo great was missing. I miss the arena style multiplayer and tight team based maps designed around weapons spawns. Everything about what 343 is doing points to the fact that the get it now. They owned up to mistakes which is not something that is easy to do. They are promising to get back to the basics of halo. There is a lot to be excited about as a Halo fan over the next couple of years.

I think they seem to have figured it out because they are doing a collection. Remaking these games is forcing them to get it right. They have a script to follow. They just have to connect the dots and add bells and whistles. This collection will be good but I'm still not confident that they can recreate what makes the original games good on their own when.

Jigolo

HaloCE campaign: 1080p/60
HaloCEA campaign: 1080p/60
Halo 2 campaign: 1080p/60
Halo 2A campaign: 1328x1080/60
Halo 3 campaign: 1080p/60
Halo 4 campaign: 1080p/60
Halo CE Multi: 1080p/60
Halo 2 Multi: 1080p/60
Halo 2A Multi: 1080p/60
Halo 3 Multi: 1080p/60
Halo 4 Multi: 1080p/60

Damn this is a beautiful post

Mugatu

Resolution debates should go look at this site. I know that H2:A isn't quite 900p, but darn close. This site shows clearly that 900p isn't ugly or even very noticeable compared to 1080p...and I'm sitting darn close to my monitor. A TV experience would even be less noticeable.

Source:

EDIT: For some reason Gaf is blocking that site...had to use "let me google that for you"

I agree - people just like to get outraged and like to stir up shit.

It's just like today's thread about how someone can never play a 30fps game ever again Of course this came purely by coincidence, I'm sure, right as that site where you can compare 30fps to 60fps clips side by side made the rounds online.

I think they seem to have figured it out because they are doing a collection. Remaking these games is forcing them to get it right. They have a script to follow. They just have to connect the dots and add bells and whistles. This collection will be good but I'm still not confident that they can recreate what makes the original games good on their own when.
Maybe. Halo 5 looks promising for sure. We will know in the first week of 2015 when the beta begins.

It is really crazy that almost every threads on the web about the next gen consoles turn into a resolution debate now, I understand the disappointment when a game is going to be 900p or less (720p) on Xbox One or PS4 of course but common if they are great games and have a lot of other features it is more than ok for me and this sadly lower the resolution will be always more and more this it’s inevitable.

Common the power of thesenext gen is around a middle PC of last year already, to gain power and have better graphics, lower the resolution is the best solution for devs and still 900p is a very good compromise in my opinion, it is a lot better than 720p and in the worst case 720p is still "ok" even if for sure very disappointing.

In the case of Halo 2 well I prefer this resolution to have the instant switch back with the audio personally that is a very unique experience for a game, I think it worth it and all the rest of the collection specially the MP are 1080p 60fps so no pb with me after why not add an option too later yes to choose the resolution but after the debate will still continue and add options like that Saber will have to check that all the H2 campaign in 1080p work good etc.. This is money and time that probably they do not have.

I expect Halo 5 to be 900p also, 1080p is really not for this gen once again (or very few exceptions) and I am fine with it, you should deal with it for this gen especially on X1.
I agree wholeheartedly. The one thing that's got the potential of killing console gaming is people crossing their arms in a huff and demanding all games be 1080p. I'd hazard a guess that a large percentage of those that complain about any lower resolution wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway. Due to the upscaling, and not sitting there with a magnifying glass counting pixels on a screenshot. Some of the greatest games I've ever played were sub 1080p. Hell, my favorite all time game is Skyrim on the PS3 which was broken as fuck for a long time. But I enjoyed it, sub 1080p.

I agree wholeheartedly. The one thing that's got the potential of killing console gaming is people crossing their arms in a huff and demanding all games be 1080p. I'd hazard a guess that a large percentage of those that complain about any lower resolution wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway. Due to the upscaling, and not sitting there with a magnifying glass counting pixels on a screenshot. Some of the greatest games I've ever played were sub 1080p. Hell, my favorite all time game is Skyrim on the PS3 which was broken as fuck for a long time. But I enjoyed it, sub 1080p.
Just wait till 4k is widely adopted.

I agree - people just like to get outraged and like to stir up shit.

It's just like today's thread about how someone can never play a 30fps game ever again Of course this came purely by coincidence, I'm sure, right as that site where you can compare 30fps to 60fps clips side by side made the rounds online.

Yeah, however 30fps vs 60fps is a more significant difference than 900p vs 1080p. I remember when I played Call of Duty: Modern Warfare when it first came out on Xbox 360 and when I switched back to Halo 3 it looked like a slideshow. Was painful. Took about 30 minutes to get adjusted again and I always could feel/see it after that. Difference is always astounding. Also 60fps effects gameplay positively--Frank even said it helps line up headshots.

x-Lundz-x

Every game has features that could be scrapped to improve performance and I don't think dev teams can make all of those decisions by polling on neogaf. Istaswitching is a great feature that isn't going anywhere so whining to Frankie isnt going to change anything. You may think that they can just add a full 1080p version by making an insta switch option but things aren't that easy. They obviously made this design choice early on so its not going anywhere. I would be baffled if those pixels were a deal breaker for people.

The point is the people like myself voicing a complaint or concern do not want the feature scrapped, simply make it optional. And it's not a deal breaker, it's a poor design choice which is all we are discussing.

mcrommert

Banned
Geez this thread went to hell

Thank you 343 for making the switch process instant...it was sometimes unusable in halo ce because you couldn't use it during any action or you would probably die. This is the correct choice so that it can be instant.

flkraven

Source:

Isn't dualshockers a banned site? If it comes up with **** it's banned, meaning I wouldn't try to circumvent that.

In my fucking veins. This sounds great to me. So long as the framerate is stable, I'm 100% in.

Who am I kidding? I'm in even if the framerates fluctuate.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
A halo 4 Comparison shot.
X360:
Sk_rmbillede_2014_10_08_kl_13_31_02.png

XONE
Sk_rmbillede_2014_10_08_kl_13_31_17.png

Having a comparison of the images at 640x360 is genuinely not helpful. The benefit of the MCC is that it's rendered at a higher res, and that the framerate is 60 instead of 30.

You're showing a still image that's smaller than the resolution of both games original internal rendering.

So H2A doesn't run at full 1080p/60 FPS. Kinda sucks but the game still looks pretty good to me. Plus for me I'm going to spend most of my time in the vanilla playlists anyway since H2A only has 6 maps.

joke.gif

The Multiplayer for H2A is full native 1080p60. Just the campaign had to have sacrifices because of rendering both versions of the game simultaneously.

Sephzilla

The Multiplayer for H2A is full native 1080p60. Just the campaign had to have sacrifices because of rendering both versions of the game simultaneously.

Oh wait, it is?! Sweet. So okay, literally one part of the game isn't 1080p while everything else is. No way it's even remotely a deal breaker.

MysteryM

Does anyone know how split screen play with work online? In previous versions of halo guests could only play in set playlists.

My lad doesn't have an active xbox live gold account, but once I bring his profile over the xbox one I thought I'd read that he can use live gold since a gold account exists on the xbox already?

It would be useful if both of us could play ranked stuff.

dwells

The real question is why the game is running at 1328x1080 instead of 1280x1080. 1280x1080 is far more industry standard (previously used in games and digital video) and actually results in better image quality despite the slightly lower resolution. This is due to the fact that it scales evenly at a 3:2 ratio (1280/2 = 640, 640*3 = 1920) up to 1080p, 1328, however, does not scale evenly, so the scaler is stuck making some awkward and inconsistent decisions during the horizontal scaling.

1280x1080 looks better, is more standardized, and actually requires less power. So why isn't it being used?

The only reason I can think of would be that MS internal politics don't allow it because of the stigma attached to 1280 since it's generally associated with 720p (1280x720), and MS won't allow 720p following the initial resolution crisis around the console launch. This would explain why Titanfall, for instance, stubbornly stayed at 792p. Despite 792p not offering any real improvement to image quality (possibly a detriment due to scaling again) and the game desperately needing any available horsepower to address the tearing and frame drops, the resolution wasn't cut as to allow the continued rheotric of "oh no, it's not 720p, it's higher than 720p."

EDIT: For the record, before anyone accuses me of being one of those people who isn't buying the game and just looking for resolution drama, I'm actually buying an Xbox One solely for Master Chief Collection, even though I barely game these days. I'm just really passionate about the Halo franchise and would prefer to see its beautiful art direction presented as best it can be.

Tegernako

Banned
EDIT: For the record, before anyone accuses me of being one of those people who isn't buying the game and just looking for resolution drama, I'm actually buying an Xbox One solely for Master Chief Collection, even though I barely game these days. I'm just really passionate about the Halo franchise and would prefer to see its beautiful art direction presented as best it can be.
People are just on edge because of the dozens of posts that completely ignore the article, commentary explaining why, and the actual conten of the game to comment on the numbers as always when it's Xbox related. Looking at this thread....can you blame them honestly?

Take a look at this post:

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
The real question is why the game is running at 1328x1080 instead of 1280x1080. 1280x1080 is far more industry standard (previously used in games and digital video) and actually results in better image quality despite the slightly lower resolution.

Scaling on the X1 GPU means things don't work that way. Higher res = higher IQ.

And we kept 792p because it was the tipping point where we werent GPU bound, not due to any internet system warz like is often suggested.

maneil99

And we kept 792p because it was the tipping point where we werent GPU bound, not due to any internet system warz like is often suggested.

Boom.gif

HTupolev

The real question is why the game is running at 1328x1080 instead of 1280x1080. 1280x1080 is far more industry standard (previously used in games and digital video) and actually results in better image quality despite the slightly lower resolution. This is due to the fact that it scales evenly at a 3:2 ratio (1280/2 = 640, 640*3 = 1920) up to 1080p, 1328, however, does not scale evenly, so the scaler is stuck making some awkward and inconsistent decisions during the horizontal scaling.
Depending on scaling algorithm, being a "more even" ratio shouldn't have a huge impact (and 3:2 is hardly "even"). And at any rate, 1328 should offer reduced aliasing even if it looks less clear.

Whoa.

Tegernako

Banned

That's interesting. If you can elaborate, what would have happened if you had been GPU bound?

(Also, you're on reddit too aren't you? Love Titanfall, thanks for the awesome game)

dwells

Unless the Xbox One GPU violates the rules of scaling algorithms or has some sort of horribly inefficient workflow, that doesn't make any sense. Given that it's a standard AMD 7xxx scaler baked into the GPU, there's no reason it would be different than how things work over the in the land of digital video mastering and scaling.

An even 3:2 scale ratio is better for IQ than a resolution which doesn't scale evenly. Especially when said resolution only offers 48 additional horizontal pixels, which absolutely are not going to give any sort of perceptible gain in detail.

Isn't dualshockers a banned site? If it comes up with **** it's banned, meaning I wouldn't try to circumvent that.

Oh dang. My bad, i didn't know it was "banned" just thought it was a false positive or something. I'm not familiar with the site beyond what I linked, so my apologies if it's inappropriate or something. =/

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
That's interesting. If you can elaborate, what would have happened if you had been GPU bound?

More consistent reduced performance. Since we had lots of CPU optimizations left on the table we had some spiky CPU loads that would leave the render thread starved for jobs or waiting to catch up. Rendering a frame in 16.67ms takes both the CPU threads completing all their jobs in that time as well as the GPU.

We've been working very consistently since release on reducing the CPU load on many fronts, and if you play Titanfall of today and compare it to the release performance you'll see quite the difference in performance and smoothness. Our next patch continues with that trend as well.

Why were you flirting with 900p + resolutions around launch, then? Where you planning on upgrading the resolution if the June SDK had launched earlier or something?

We've been working very consistently since release on reducing the CPU load on many fronts, and if you play Titanfall of today and compare it to the release performance you'll see quite the difference in performance and smoothness. Our next patch continues with that trend as well.

Yes. This is very obvious. The performance in the latest patch is night and day since launch, and thank you for this! Is the next patch a big jump from the last?

jem0208

Having a comparison of the images at 640x360 is genuinely not helpful. The benefit of the MCC is that it's rendered at a higher res, and that the framerate is 60 instead of 30.

You're showing a still image that's smaller than the resolution of both games original internal rendering.

Still shows the improvement in lighting which is nice.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Unless the Xbox One GPU violates the rules of scaling algorithms or has some sort of horribly inefficient workflow, that doesn't make any sense. Given that it's a standard AMD 7xxx scaler baked into the GPU, there's no reason it would be different than how things work over the in the land of digital video mastering and scaling.

An even 3:2 scale ratio is better for IQ than a resolution which doesn't scale evenly. Especially when said resolution only offers 48 additional horizontal pixels, which absolutely are not going to give any sort of perceptible gain in detail.

Having spent quite a bit of time testing various resolutions and scaling during development I can assure you its not the same.

Granted, the bump is probably imperceptible to 99.99% of people - buts its probably just the highest resolution the math would bear out for keeping the GPU from bottlenecking performance.

Top Bottom