• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC Full Campaign Preview (H2A runs at 1328 x 1080 native)

Odah

Banned
Nice, here is another one:

Xbox360:

oneiispf.jpg

Xbox One:

oneiispf.jpg

/oneiispf.jpg

those pictures are 1:1 the same. That's not a comparison.

Having spent quite a bit of time testing various resolutions and scaling during development I can assure you its not the same.

Granted, the bump is probably imperceptible to 99.99% of people - buts its probably just the highest resolution the math would bear out for keeping the GPU from bottlenecking performance.

Thx for the awesome comments, I am actually quite surprised that 792p was the absolutely highest res before the GPU became bounded.

Tegernako

Banned
More consistent reduced performance. Since we had lots of CPU optimizations left on the table we had some spiky CPU loads that would leave the render thread starved for jobs or waiting to catch up. Rendering a frame in 16.67ms takes both the CPU threads completing all their jobs in that time as well as the GPU.

We've been working very consistently since release on reducing the CPU load on many fronts, and if you play Titanfall of today and compare it to the release performance you'll see quite the difference in performance and smoothness. Our next patch continues with that trend as well.
I didn't notice it to much till I went to some of my older videos and compared them when I felt that something was off. It really is a big difference to be honest. The fact that we'll be getting more updates like that is icing on the cake.

Lot of armchair software engineers in here
Well it is an XB1 thread.

Having spent quite a bit of time testing various resolutions and scaling during development I can assure you its not the same.
HS5tEln.gif

Ok you're right guys. The resolution of the Halo 2 campaign shouldn't prevent me from having a lot of fun with this amazing collection.

I'm just gonna skip the Halo 2 campaign.

Youre gonna skip an entire campaign cause its missing a few pixels?

How do you enjoy...anything?

"This spaghetti looks like the best spaghetti ive ever had, everything i love about spaghetti is here. But this one meatball is slightly smaller than the other...so....THROW IT ALL OUT."

More consistent reduced performance. Since we had lots of CPU optimizations left on the table we had some spiky CPU loads that would leave the render thread starved for jobs or waiting to catch up. Rendering a frame in 16.67ms takes both the CPU threads completing all their jobs in that time as well as the GPU.

We've been working very consistently since release on reducing the CPU load on many fronts, and if you play Titanfall of today and compare it to the release performance you'll see quite the difference in performance and smoothness. Our next patch continues with that trend as well.

Great to hear that.

Why would that be bad? I swear people give so much weight to other peoples' opinions. Halo 4 was one of the best games I played last gen. No fucks given.

This. I played the ever loving shit out of both Reach and Halo 4. Unarguably the two least popular Halo multiplayers in the franchise.

Jigolo

Why would that be bad? I swear people give too much weight to other peoples' opinions. Halo 4 was one of the best games I played last gen. No fucks given.

lol welcome to Neogaf where when enough people tell you your wrong, you might just start believing it.

dwells

But here you go guys.

X360
Sk_rmbillede_2014_10_08_kl_13_31_02.png

XONE
Sk_rmbillede_2014_10_08_kl_13_31_17.png

I'm hoping that's an issue with their capture setup that's causing the serious black crush there.

The only way to compare the games properly would be direct framebuffer grabs (pre-scaling) for each title. Comparing stills from compressed videos isn't really representative of what the game actually looks like.

jem0208

Why would that be bad? I swear people give too much weight to other peoples' opinions. Halo 4 was one of the best games I played last gen. No fucks given.

Oh I was just making a joke. I really couldn't care less about how other people think.

I'm one of the few on GAF who regularly defends Halo 4 actually :p

Shin-Ra

But here you go guys.

X360
Sk_rmbillede_2014_10_08_kl_13_31_02.png

XONE
Sk_rmbillede_2014_10_08_kl_13_31_17.png
In your comparison at least, the lighting actually looks better on 360 though.

edit:
I'm hoping that's an issue with their capture setup that's causing the serious black crush there.

The only way to compare the games properly would be direct framebuffer grabs (pre-scaling) for each title. Comparing stills from compressed videos isn't really representative of what the game actually looks like.
Why pre-scaling? Post-scaling is closest to what you're going to see.

dwells

Why pre-scaling? Post-scaling is closest to what you're going to see.
Pre-scaling lets you actually compare how the game is being rendered (what it truly looks like) without the scaler interfering. But yes, post-scaling would allow for a more accurate comparison of what the user actually sees.

During development we were really pleased with the way the engine and buffer allowed us to switch instantly between classic and Anniversary engines that are running simultaneously – however that, as you might expect, put a hit on resolution

If they couldn't make the game run at 1080p/60fps they should have dropped the feature.

Halo 4 makes up 38 out of the 100 multiplayer map!

panel1-halo.jpg

who did that calculation?
imo its wrong, Halo CE has more than just 13% of the whole map cake

the calcucation seems to only have counted the 13 core Halo CE maps but not the additional 6 Halo PC maps which are said to be included too, along with the fuel rod and the flame thrower of Halo PC
banshees and the rocket warthog should be part of the Halo CE MCC too

to achieve 13% of Halo CE @ 19 maps this would mean the overal map count is 146 which isnt the case

1) Battle Creek
2) Sidewinder
3) Damnation
4) Rat Race
5) Prisoner
6) Hang 'Em High
7) Chill Out
8) Derelict
9) Boarding Action
10) Chiron TL-34
11) Blood Gulch
12) Wizard
13) Longest
14) Death Island
15) Danger Canyon
16) Infinity
17) Timberland
18) Ice Fields
19) Gephyrophobia

Going off of Halo Wikia, it's something like this:

Halo CE - 19 maps

Halo 2 - 30 maps (including H2A maps)

Halo 3 - 24 maps

Halo 4 - 29 maps

That only totals 96, so I might have missed one or two. It's a fairly even three way split between 2, 3, and 4.

You're missing the 6 from the 2 Anniversary.

Ah right, so that makes 30 for Halo 2.

Bsigg12

Going off of Halo Wikia, it's something like this:

Halo CE - 19 maps

Halo 2 - 24 maps

Halo 3 - 24 maps

Halo 4 - 29 maps

That only totals 96, so I might have missed one or two. It's a fairly even three way split between 2, 3, and 4.

You're missing the 6 from the 2 Anniversary.

Ape

Banned
They are counting the 10 spartan OPs as Halo 4 multiplayer maps. That's why the percentages aren't looking right to you guys.

Seeing dat 3sk pistol in action again in 1080p/60fps on Blood Gulch, Hang 'em High, etc. just made me all HNNNNNNNNGGG. :)

so you saw Bloodgulch gameplay? :O
man i cannot wait!

i want the game as original as possible, so i hope there arent any Tanks or Banshees in Bloodgulch
one of the biggest flaws that modern Halo games have is the vehicle noobing in the big player playlists, back in the old Halo CE/PC days there barely were any overpowered vehicles around, you had to be good with your gun instead of being good with a lame vehicle to go on a high spree
nowadays in Halo you cannot have huge maps with 16 players without plenty of unneeded attacking vehicles :/

overall i hope 343i sticks to the regular CE/PC mod layouts, Bloodgulch TeamSlayer and CTF plays best with just warthogs and ghosts :)

Compsiox

Banned
who did that calculation?
imo its wrong, Halo CE has more than just 13% of the whole map cake

the calcucation seems to only have counted the 13 core Halo CE maps but not the additional 6 Halo PC maps which are said to be included too, along with the fuel rod and the flame thrower of Halo PC
banshees and the rocket warthog should be part of the Halo CE MCC too

to achieve 13% of Halo CE @ 19 maps this would mean the overal map count is 146 which isnt the case

1) Battle Creek
2) Sidewinder
3) Damnation
4) Rat Race
5) Prisoner
6) Hang 'Em High
7) Chill Out
8) Derelict
9) Boarding Action
10) Chiron TL-34
11) Blood Gulch
12) Wizard
13) Longest
14) Death Island
15) Danger Canyon
16) Infinity
17) Timberland
18) Ice Fields
19) Gephyrophobia
I thought it was wrong because that seemed like way too many maps for one game.

NickFire

If the posters in the second half of the first page of this thread are correct, the developer actually chose to run slightly lower than 900P. WTF? Why wouldn't they just run 900P and call it that for the extra pixels? All I can assume is that they are so hung up on having a 1080 tucked into the resolution description that they gimped the resolution a few thousand pixels for the bullet points.

Top Bottom