• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 Beta Live on PC (12GB) [Up: And Xbox One]

Moa

Real shame this isn't coming to Steam.

Multiplayer will be dead in a couple weeks if it's sold through the crappy windows 10 store.

There's potential it might. I think there was some text found in HW Definitive Edition which had multiple mentions of Steam.

RTS matchmaking should deprecate 1v1 modes. Team-based competitions should be the main focus like it is in all other genres with multiplayer.

Either I'm crazy, but wasn't the reason teams were deprecated from the Starcraft competitive meta was because matches tended to snowball once one player was out of the running?

And now we're saying 1v1's snowball?

There's potential it might. I think there was some text found in HW Definitive Edition which had multiple mentions of Steam.

How do we know this isn't vestigial text from that time when a bunch of Halo games popped up on SteamDB for a few months before vanishing? There very well could have been plans for a PC port of Halo Wars 1 on Steam that got canned when company initiatives began to shift.

Omni

Blitz or whatever it's called doesn't interest me

I love my RTS games when I can build a base and an economy and an army slowly. Then go all out in a massive scale war

Anyone know if they increased the population count from the other test? I heard it was quite low

Werd

I love my RTS games when I can build a base and an economy and an army slowly. Then go all out in a massive scale war

Anyone know if they increased the population count from the other test? I heard it was quite low

I didn't play it, but in the videos I saw the betas cap was something like 40 to 80 depending on how many bases you had or upgrades, the problem being units took up more pop so it was really lower than HW1. in the preview footage from the last couple days I saw people up to at least 120.

RoKKeR

Yeah, my admittedly terrible strategies usually involve taking it very slowly.

I will say, though, that Blitz is a great option for a very quick and action packed game that really can get pretty tactical. It's nice to know I can hop on, play a few quick rounds and then jet without having to worry about getting caught in some huge match.

It probably won't be my go to mode, but I certainly like having the option for a quick game.

Moa

Either I'm crazy, but wasn't the reason teams were deprecated from the Starcraft competitive meta was because matches tended to snowball once one player was out of the running?

And now we're saying 1v1's snowball?

How do we know this isn't vestigial text from that time when a bunch of Halo games popped up on SteamDB for a few months before vanishing? There very well could have been plans for a PC port of Halo Wars 1 on Steam that got canned when company initiatives began to shift.

We don't. Here's a link for those interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/HaloWars/comments/5lk2th/halo_wars_de_may_be_coming_to_steam/

Fuchsdh

That is some werid reasoning... What if this ends up being someones favourite mode? It gives them a disadvantage, but it doesn't matter, because it's only in this mode?

I mean, it's no different than Halo 5. What makes the Blitz stuff less palatable to me isn't the "pay to win" aspect but that the microtransactions are in addition to paid DLC as opposed to supplanting it.

Looking forward to playing tomorrow.

Having an absolute blast with this, and I'm really happy with performance. Haven't dropped frames once yet under 60fps with everything maxed out. Even when it gets hectic with lots of explosions and chaos

Deadstar

Blitz is ok but there doesn't seem to be a lot of strategy. You just spam units from cards. Interesting concept but it feels like RTS light. I want something I can sink my teeth into.

Random17

Yeah performance is great, no noticeable drops even at max settings in 3v3.

Game is fun, but a bit short. Not a fan of the mode though, I do like the economy aspect of RTS games a lot.

Yeah obviously Blitz won't have near the strategy or game length as standard multiplayer will but I still think it's really fun for just a fast paced all out battle. I could see myself putting some decent time into this mode

Zyae

I had to manually update it. Im definitely going to like the regular mode the best but blitz is really interesting.

Bryant

So far I have had a team mate dropped or I have been dropped from every match.

Also, how do you talk to just your team? I see that enter says "ALL" but pressing tab and such doesnt seem to change it.

Werd

I think 1v1 Blitz is hurt by the ability to see opponents units on the map. In such low unit counts early in the game if you win an opening skirmish it is just too easy to watch where they are headed and drop in more reinforcements than they can bring with your income advantage. Then the game ends too quickly to get to many high cost lead powers and super units that might be able to turn it around. If you couldn't see the units then there'd be chances to actually surprise a smaller group of units or such.

A coordinated team could still do so, but generally team games just being a lot more hectic seems to keep the game going longer and lead to more swings with those late game cards.

AYF 001

Seems like they fixed a lot of the performance issues from the first beta. Really enjoyed 3v3 with a couple of friends. Wish there was a way to mute game mic chat when on steam or teamspeak.

nillapuddin

Yeah I'm having a blast. Servers on PC at least are pretty iffy though. Either me or teammates are getting dropped decently frequently. Let's hope the final release is much more stable

damn sorry, bone is perfection

not sure why so much hate on blitz, it is rts light, the deep dirty base building modes are all there too, just not this week

Tecnniqe

Banned
Blitzer is so fast paced it's giving me that "One more game" thing. Then next thing I know I've played like 5 more haha
😁 I hope the rest of the game does the same for people but I miss building stuff. Cool mode for like 5-10 minute matches but I'm still not sure how it's going to work out at retail with card packs.

Maybe I'm just overly worried due to bad experiences in other games with this stuff.

Theorry

Think its a pretty good gamemode. People love collecting cards and its easier to step in then other RTS modes. Less overwhelming probably for alot of players. And they will probably stick arround longer then. 3vs3 is the best tho. Quick matchmaking also.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Think its a pretty good gamemode. People love collecting cards and its easier to step in then other RTS modes. Less overwhelming probably for alot of players. And they will probably stick arround longer then. 3vs3 is the best tho. Quick matchmaking also.
3 scarabs at the same time 👌

Lucifon

😁 I hope the rest of the game does the same for people but I miss building stuff. Cool mode for like 5-10 minute matches but I'm still not sure how it's going to work out at retail with card packs.

Maybe I'm just overly worried due to bad experiences in other games with this stuff.

Looks like it'll be really fair when it comes to earning free packs similar to Warzone in H5. With the dailies, weeklies and level up rewards there's enough there to get regular free packs. Who knows if there'll be other ways to earn them too. Seems like the perfect level of 'pack' rewards to the point where I might drop a few £ here or there, unlike something like Gears which makes me never want to give them any more money.

Loving Blitz though, seems like a really fun distraction. Also finding more strategies the more I play. The quick matches give it the 'just 1 more' feeling. Can see us playing a fair bit of this when the game launches, but it won't replace the base building mode. I was a massive fan of playing with 1 or 2 friends in the first, Blitz is just making me even more hyped for the final release.

Zedox

No it doesn't

Even on the first week, I had a lot of trouble finding players in most of the game modes.

Still the truth

The game is basically being sent out to die on PC. It's definitely not going to have a long standing community like StarCraft or 40k

The reason why I stated what I did is because it's not like MS is all of a sudden going to change their minds and say hey, fuck it, lets go to Steam. Ain't shit gonna change.

sibarraz

Banned
Never layed HW before, I know that blitz isn't the real experience, but it showed me how an RTS is controlled on consoles

So far was a fun game, I think that Blitz could gain a lot being a F2P game, otherwise will suck to pay a full retail price for a game that will always have the pay cap that this kind of games have were you will lose against guys with more leveled or better cards

Zedox

Never layed HW before, I know that blitz isn't the real experience, but it showed me how an RTS is controlled on consoles

So far was a fun game, I think that Blitz could gain a lot being a F2P game, otherwise will suck to pay a full retail price for a game that will always have the pay cap that this kind of games have were you will lose against guys with more leveled or better cards

I thought the same thing... blitz easily could be a f2p game.

pitchfork

I like this, but man is it fast. Seems like I need to do a bit of learning instead of just reacting.

Yeah, same for me after the first couple of matches

Can see myself getting pretty addicted to this though. Really looking forward to full release

Top Bottom