• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halt And Catch Fire S3 |OT| Great Minds Don't Always Think Alike - Tuesdays 9/8c

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezekial45

Banned
Tonight is apparently the darkest episode of the series. Which is saying something considering what just happened last week.

Can't wait!

NYR

Can I just say this season has been pure perfection? Wow, I'm incredibly surprised at how great this got.

I love the mirroring too:

Joe: "Good is the enemy of Great"

Donna: "Perfect is the enemy of Good"

Zapages

That was a good episode. Although it was a downer in terms of the storyline...

Also doesn't it feel like the show is going towards a series finale.

ZOONAMI

Beware false prophets who will sell you a fake future, of bad teachers, corrupt leaders, and dirty corporations. Beware of cops and robbers, the kind that rob your dreams. But most of all, beware of each other, because everything is about to change. The world is going to crack wide open. There’s something on the horizon, a massive connectivity. The barriers between us will disappear, and we’re not ready. We’ll hurt each other in new ways: we’ll sell and be sold, we’ll expose our most tender selves only to be mocked and be destroyed, we’ll be so vulnerable, and we’ll pay the price. We won’t be able to pretend we won’t be able to protect ourselves anymore. It’s a huge danger, a gigantic risk, but it’s worth it. If only we can learn to take care of each other, then this awesome destructive new connection won’t isolate us. It won’t leave us in the end, so totally alone.

Wow.

Keeps cementing itself as the best show on television imo. Westworld may give it a run though.

Such an amazing episode and season for that matter.

Donna and Cam seeing
each other at the store, but still not speaking was also heartbreaking.

I am not ready for this to end.

noshten

I just was personally touched, doesn't happen often with TV but this episode was touching. I think this is the show that touches the same sensibilities as Rectified touched with me personally.

If you needed to end the show this would be the perfect episode to do it, can't see how they top it - but so far I've been more than pleasantly surprised considering I didn't know about this show a month ago.

Personally I think this is why I'm watching TV more and more, things like Halt and Catch Fire, In Treatment, Rectify, Fargo would not work in Film form and studios are far more scared to take a risk. HaCF might not being a commercial success by any stretch of the imagination but I think it might be a series that gains more acclaim as it reaches more audience.

Natiko

Banned
Wow, that was so sad. You really have to feel for Ryan. Not sure I like vindicating Cam with how she was acting, but at least she wasn't gloating about being right. Hopefully they nail it next week and this show goes out in a good way.

ezekial45

Banned
Wow, that was so sad. You really have to feel for Ryan. Not sure I like vindicating Cam with how she was acting, but at least she wasn't gloating about being right. Hopefully they nail it next week and this show goes out in a good way.

I don't think it vindicated her 100%. She may have been right about the IPO, but the biggest hurdle that the company faced was getting the general public to understand what the hell Mutiny (and online computing) was. I totally think that they would've run into the same issue if they sided with her. Even then, something could have happened to the market before finishing all the changes to architecture, which would've tanked the company regardless.

My big take away was that they were ahead of their time, and nothing they could've done would've fixed it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Another tremendous episode. Dynamite work from everyone involved.

Also doesn't it feel like the show is going towards a series finale.

It definitely feels that way. There was a blind item on TV Line from a few months ago that suggested a high profile drama series would be secretly wrapping at the end of its most recent season (think how Penny Dreadful surprised everyone with a series finale at the end of season 3 instead of just a season finale) and I'm sort of wondering if maybe Halt and Catch Fire isn't that show...

Of course, I don't want the show to end, but I would rather they wrap things up intentionally (but earlier than expected) than leave things open and risk not get another season.

I guess we'll find out next week!

Incredible episode. I hate to see this show go. I imagine they knew they were lucky to get a third season so they will end it nicely. Really hope we get another season though. Show is too damn good and this has been the best season so far.

BFIB

Man, I don't want this series to end. I'm late to the party, but this show is fantastic. I really hope it finds life somewhere if AMC pulls the plug.

Natiko

Banned
I don't think it vindicated her 100%. She may have been right about the IPO, but the biggest hurdle that the company faced was getting the general public to understand what the hell Mutiny (and online computing) was. I totally think that they would've run into the same issue if they sided with her. Even then, something could have happened to the market before finishing all the changes to architecture, which would've tanked the company regardless.

My big take away was that they were ahead of their time, and nothing they could've done would've fixed it.
Sure, but I suppose I meant more from her perspective. She didn't react in her typical manner though so it wasn't particularly relevant either way.

It definitely feels that way. There was a blind item on TV Line from a few months ago that suggested a high profile drama series would be secretly wrapping at the end of its most recent season (think how Penny Dreadful surprised everyone with a series finale at the end of season 3 instead of just a season finale) and I'm sort of wondering if maybe Halt and Catch Fire isn't that show...

Of course, I don't want the show to end, but I would rather they wrap things up intentionally (but earlier than expected) than leave things open and risk not get another season.

I guess we'll find out next week!
That's an interesting theory. I'd be glad to see them go out on their own terms for sure.

I agree. All of Mutiny, including the investors are all in the tech world. At the time, for the general public, using computers was still some kind of black magic. While being Commodore only didn't help, I think their concept was too advanced for people to buy into.

KodaRuss

Watched it last night with my wife and damn that was sad. I hope this isn't the end but it looks like it is. I hope Gordon makes it out alive but I don't think that looks good.

Cameron was right about the IPO but not about anything else. Good to see her and Joe together in more scenes as this season went along. I think they were best when they were interacting more with each other.

I know I am somewhat in the minority on this but Season 1 is still my favorite but I think this season has been better than 2.

Also we watched WestWorld last night and that might be our new show. Really good start.

This is my wallpaper now, Such a sad and amazing moment

GFFjKs2l.jpg

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I honestly couldn't care less about Brian. The guy was always a throwaway character.

I know I am somewhat in the minority on this but Season 1 is still my favorite but I think this season has been better than 2.
I don't think you're in the minority.

JackDT

This show is just killing it. I would LOVE so hard to see another time skip into the 90s. Too bad the ratings are horrible. I hate people.

ezekial45

Banned
Season 1 is definitely the weak link. It had a strong pilot, but it was clear they were struggling to figure out what the show is. It got way better in the back half of the season, though. Landfall, The 214's, and Up Helly Ah are my fantastic episodes of season, which really showed how much potential there was for the series.

Thankfully they were able to figure out the show's identity afterward. Season 2 and 3 are fantastic seasons of TV. I'm seriously impressed with this series. I'd love for at least another season of HCF. I feel like they've still got one more in them.

I agree. All of Mutiny, including the investors are all in the tech world. At the time, for the general public, using computers was still some kind of black magic. While being Commodore only didn't help, I think their concept was too advanced for people to buy into.

There are times when I think HCF is a bit held back by its framing as a period drama, looking at the 80s through the lens of the 2010s. Some Inglourious Basterds twist where their world turns into nothing we know would be a nice changeup.

I liked this part, though. Nobody wins for being ahead of their time. The rewards come for people who are right on time.

Cameron demanded the right things at the wrong time. Her plans would come too far outside the window of a buyout or an IPO, and Mutiny would need to hope for another acquisition offer and continued growth to make those plans entirely worthwhile. As it was, Mutiny's growth flatlined within the short few months their IPO took.

Donna pushed for the greater financial rewards at a greater risk of an IPO, instead of seriously considering a CompuServe buyout for a guaranteed payout now. She took a gamble too, on advice that didn't pan out.

And y'know, I think that gets the character of the Valley right. Look too deeply in the details of failed startups and projects past, and you'll see a lot of sour grapes and crushed dreams.

Fantastic episode, kind of felt like a season finale. Cameron's going to Japan, Joe says he's done, which puts both of them out of the orbit of our other main players, which makes me think the show may be wrapping up this season. Two more episodes to really put a bow on it. Alternatively, maybe somehow Joe and Cameron do something together again? But my money's on a season ending that will serve as a good series finale, if it doesn't get another season. I hope it does, but seasons 2 and 3 have been amazing, so I'm glad we got those.

Klocker

As much as I could not stand Cameron's whining for most of this season, I think this was their best effort by far. Cameron's last couple of episodes made up for the previous ones. too sad to see this and I can't imagine them doing it or where they might go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom