• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halt And Catch Fire S3 |OT| Great Minds Don't Always Think Alike - Tuesdays 9/8c

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

That episode!

Donna's vacation was so freakin' Don Draper. Her hallucinatory reconciliation with Cam was stunning. Loved what Cam did in her confrontation with Joe, showed that she's truly changed some. Bos trying to fancy it up at the opera only to slip into his good ol boy ways was quietly sad.

And Joe's story finally came together completely here, both for the season and the series. He's burning down a company yet again, but not out of selfish fear. He's doing it out of genuine vision and a desire to do right by the people he's harmed. Fantastic way to bring things full circle. Although it does have me worry that Gordon's in trouble. If he is about to be recognized for his creation (and given the show is probably ending) I could see his condition worsening to a fatal point

Been mixed about this shows quality overall but man this was just a really great episode. Wish the show had a level of consistency to be more like this every ep. Damn shame that it's having its best season yet and likely on the verge of cancellation

Oh man that promo was great but it also was a shock to see that we are already on epsiode 7! Just 10 this season right? Looks like things are ramping up for a great ending!

Is there a legal way that isn't a cable subscription to watch this from the beginning of season 3? I only see episodes 3-7 on slingTV. In the US here.

759.gif

jerry113

Banned
Jesus what the fuck did you do Ryan lol.

Of all the characters, Gordon has displayed the most growth throughout the series. He's finally put pride aside and realizes that he and Joe make a good time - Joe has the vision, Gordon has the technical smarts.

Zapages

That was the best episode of the show! Amazing stuff.

I really hope the ratings pick up and we get a season 4 and 5 out of this series. :)

Natiko

Banned
Holy shit, this show has been on fire. I really hope they nail the rest of the season and don't leave too many threads dangling.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Dynamite episode tonight. I think the actors put in some of their best work to date in that shareholders meeting scene (the outcome of which was devastating).

RS4-

I've got 20 mins or so left in the ep, not liking how this might turn out.

edit - goddamnit Ryan. What the fuck. Initially, I thought he was just erasing all the records of Joe owning shit or whatever lol.

jett

D-Member
Ryan is such a moron.

And Cameron is such an awful person. I'm super glad she finally got her comeuppance.

Great episode.

jerry113

Banned
I've got 20 mins or so left in the ep, not liking how this might turn out.

edit - goddamnit Ryan. What the fuck. Initially, I thought he was just erasing all the records of Joe owning shit or whatever lol.

Guy went full insane. And to think Joe was about to make him a partner.

Chucker

I just binged through S1/2 on Netflix and am now caught up.
What a great show. Last night was outstanding, I feel bad for Cam but at the same time Gordon tried to be civil. No winners in there.

wapplew

Amazing episode.
About time Cam get a lesson, time to grow up. Joe and Gordan back together, Cam and Donna breaking up, 3 episodes left, please end well.

Wow! What an amazing episode! Simply stellar!

I loved how Donna is just so over Cameron's childishness. Cam's an idealist but as Boz said it is not just her company anymore.

It was refreshing to have an episode where the wildcard was not Joe for once.
Fucking Ryan.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Cute episode, I guess.

That was the best episode of the show! Amazing stuff.

I really hope the ratings pick up and we get a season 4 and 5 out of this series. :)

I don't think the series will suddenly spike in ratings, and I certainly can't sit through another 20 episodes of this show. Maybe one more season, but that's it. :p

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ratings:

Season 1:

Episode 1: 1.19 million
Episode 2: 970K
Episode 3: 765K
Episode 4: 844K
Episode 5: 575K
Episode 6: 717K
Episode 7: ??
Episode 8: 627K
Episode 9: 549K
Episode 10: 574K

Season 2:

Episode 1: 659K
Episode 2: 494K
Episode 3: 452K
Episode 4: 451K
Episode 5: 543K
Episode 6: 558K
Episode 7: 499K
Episode 8: 497K
Episode 9: 588K
Episode 10: 485K

Season 3:

Episodes 1 & 2: 339K
Episode 3: 397K
Episode 4: 312K
Episode 5: 324K
Episode 6: 280K
Episode 7: 307K
Episode 8: 366K

(the sneak preview of the first episode of the season 3 premiere that AMC tried to trick Fear the Walking Dead fans into watching on Sunday netted 367K viewers)

Fantastic episode. It feels like this show has finally hit its stride this season it's all so good. Cameron was a bit over dramatic with the acting at the end with her reaction but I've come to expect that now as a part of her character.

That shot of Donna and Cameron on the phones was straight up depalma.

I recognized the name of the director of the episode. Didn't she make a couple films?

Edit: Karyn Kusama. Director of the invitation

big ander

Humongous episode. Season's on fire. They've given themselves a tough job with these last 3 after all the recent developments but I'm confident they'll kill it.

I'm surprised every single one of you sided with Donna. I was mostly with Cameron on the split: for one, Donna really did violate Cameron's trust big time. And as much as Donna hates being Mutiny's "hall monitor" she truly does attempt to handle Cam the way a mother would their daughter...then again, when Donna has come at Cam as a business partner and friend, Cam has regularly continued to act like an overly idealistic child. so Donna has good reason to believe that's what Cam's resistance to the IPO is.

...except we see that Cam is right in this instance. If not completely right, then she is correct that moving now would be bad and doom them to become outdated, and they as a team should find a middle ground. Because we see that community has become a mall. The social element is what will make it last. And her points about needing to expand to other machines make perfect sense. Finally, not all of Cameron's idealism is naive. She wants to make a product that is genuinely special, and even if it's not the most lucrative ever it'll surely be profitable for all of them. Cameron is more right than Donna: if they waited just a bit on the IPO they would continue to hold onto their identity as a company and still make money and make a better product with greater longevity.

...except again Donna's resistance to risk is understandable considering her past with and alongside Gordon. She doesn't yet know that Gordon is on the verge of making a lot more money (I guess he doesn't know for sure either, admittedly, and Ryan's antics during his S1-Joe impression might've made the new company DOA but I doubt it). Instead she's stressed as a primary breadwinner (even if they are well-off now, they've got two kids they'll need to put though college) and has to chase the money.

All of this is to say that I thought the board meeting and collapse was so amazing precisely because siding with either is not as easy as "cam sux glad she cried woohoo". They are both right and very wrong and, just a few months ago, would have been able to figure out a solution that works for both of them. But things moved too fast.

yeah apt summary of the situation overall. i'm just glad gordon voted with donna though because i wasn't looking forward to dealing with that can of worms again if he didn't.

jond76

Banned
Cam with Mutiny is like a 5 year old with a pacifier. They'll cry when you take it and you'll feel bad, but they are holding on to something it's time to let go of.

big ander

Definitely I like how they've handled their marriage this season in the wake of Gordon's cheating. It's no longer big things where they might break up, it's little things straining s relationship in a believable, understated way. Like Donna not liking camping or Gordon pushing her not to force the ipo. I hope this season doesn't end with any relationship calamity for them, I dunno if I'd buy it.
Cam with Mutiny is like a 5 year old with a pacifier. They'll cry when you take it and you'll feel bad, but they are holding on to something it's time to let go of.
Except not because in this instance she clearly has a point. If they don't make certain improvements now and recapture the distinctive spirit that made them valuable in the first place they will peter out. Cam can of course be short sighted but she's also a genius coder with an elemental sense of what makes these new technologies actually matter to people.

I mean jeeze, I didn't realize so many halt fans were reductive cam-haters. I can't imagine the show even being remotely enjoyable if I detested cam as some infant that way

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm still way behind. Watched Episode 4 and 5 tonight, planning on catching up with 6 & 7 tomorrow.

I especially enjoyed Episode 5, the conversation between Cameron and Donna was a high point. This really is their show at this point.

Definitely I like how they've handled their marriage this season in the wake of Gordon's cheating. It's no longer big things where they might break up, it's little things straining s relationship in a believable, understated way. Like Donna not liking camping or Gordon pushing her not to force the ipo. I hope this season doesn't end with any relationship calamity for them, I dunno if I'd buy it.

Except not because in this instance she clearly has a point. If they don't make certain improvements now and recapture the distinctive spirit that made them valuable in the first place they will peter out. Cam can of course be short sighted but she's also a genius coder with an elemental sense of what makes these new technologies actually matter to people.

I mean jeeze, I didn't realize so many halt fans were reductive cam-haters. I can't imagine the show even being remotely enjoyable if I detested cam as some infant that way

Those improvements and concerns are not impossible because of an IPO. That's a false dichotomy. Arguably they have better resources to accomplish those very tasks.

Does she have some elemental sense of that? Cam actively fought against Community for most of last season. Is Community not a huge part of what made Mutiny the success it is? That was Donna's baby. I would argue she's a larger part of what made Mutiny actually matter to people.

I can appreciate Cam's brilliance but that doesn't make her patterns of isolating herself and being non communicative not childish or frustrating. It's especially tiring when everyone is trying to be on her side so bad. Until she forced it everyone in that room was open to trying to work it out and she got impulsive and started throwing around ultimatums.

br3wnor

Great episode, loving this season. Wasn't sad to see Cam lose, she's been grating on me this season. Ryan fucking things up for my man Joe, he's definitely gonna get screwed.

I know it's a pipe dream but if we got just one more season to kind of give a proper conclusion to all this I'd be really happy but if this is all we get I'll be glad to have had it, ratings wise shouldn't have lasted 3 seasons anyway.

Great episode, loving this season. Wasn't sad to see Cam lose, she's been grating on me this season. Ryan fucking things up for my man Joe, he's definitely gonna get screwed.

I know it's a pipe dream but if we got just one more season to kind of give a proper conclusion to all this I'd be really happy but if this is all we get I'll be glad to have had it, ratings wise shouldn't have lasted 3 seasons anyway.

Just hope that TWD has the best season premiere ever. The more money it brings in, the better the chance for this superior show.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I literally just found out about this show. Love stuff about the computer IT boom.

And be still my beating heart. Is that an actual decent theme song on a major T.V. show for once?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom