• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halt And Catch Fire S4 |OT| The Final Season - Saturdays 9/8c on AMC

NYR

I will be a lifelong fan of Scoot, Lee and Mackenzie. Praise be, thanks for the wonderful ride.

tumblr_omin93byoW1udl48so1_500.gif

Mindlog

Nope. Saving these last two episodes for the DVR and to avoid watching back-to-back. These last few episodes have been absolutely wonderful.

And not like the last 2 episodes of The Strain. I've had those sitting on the DVR for weeks and still don't feel like touching them because blegh.

RS4-

Nope. Saving these last two episodes for the DVR and to avoid watching back-to-back. These last few episodes have been absolutely wonderful.

And not like the last 2 episodes of The Strain. I've had those sitting on the DVR for weeks and still don't feel like touching them because blegh.

Do it for Zack.

kevin1025

Banned
It's a hell of an end to the series (well, leading up to tonight), so glad I followed it all the way through! I hope it's the kind of show that gets found over the years for some, or that people like us recommend it enough to give it a second life once it's over.

NYR

My only reaction.

giphy.gif

Haley
finally accepting herself with the calming voice of Gordon guiding her.

Joanie
finding her own path in the world out of her parent and sister’s shadow.

Bos
is healthy and accepting life for what it is,
with Diane
finally finding freedom with Bos at her side.

Cameron and Donna
together again, as it should be, With Donna leaving her new company named after Gordon’s invention.

Joe
finally has his kids and can change the world though them.
Perfect.

My only reaction.

giphy.gif

Haley
finally accepting herself with the calming voice of Gordon guiding her.

Joanie
finding her own path in the world out of her parent and sister’s shadow.

Bos
is healthy and accepting life for what it is,
with Diane
finally finding freedom with Bos at her side.

Cameron and Donna
together again, as it should be, With Donna leaving her new company named after Gordon’s invention.

Joe
finally has his kids and can change the world though them.
Perfect.

well said.

This show overcame House MD to become my new favorite show. The Wire is still the best show ever, but HaCF hits really close to home.

Anyone know if/when they're releasing a bluray set?

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
It was the thing that got us to the thing. Kind of a miracle that the show even got four seasons. From the first season it always felt like such a niche thing that I just happened to fall into and it never abandoned its audience. Sad to see it go but happy with how it ended.

What was Donna's idea..?

PayPal. Turns out she was the villain all along. ;)

- J - D -

It was the thing that got us to the thing. Kind of a miracle that the show even got four seasons. From the first season it always felt like such a niche thing that I just happened to fall into and it never abandoned its audience. Sad to see it go but happy with how it ended.

Yep. This show was definitely the thing that got me to the thing.

Gonna be tough to replace.

What was Donna's idea..?

Food service automation. Donna was so ahead of the game. ;)

ezekial45

Banned
What was Donna's idea..?

My first thought was a like new e-payment system. But it didn't matter what the idea was. What was important that Donna and Cameron had something together they continue their partnership on.

I do love that the show eventually became more about them. Joe was truly an agent of change, and he did have a positive impact on people's lives. At first, it seemed like 'the pair' was about Joe and Gordon, but really it was destined to be about Donna and Cameron. And Joe becoming a college teacher was fitting as hell. What a perfect conclusion to the character. He's a got a whole new group of people to have a positive influence on.

Anyway, this was great ending. I'm very happy the show got to its end. I loved this season, but my personal favorite is still S3, but this was an amazing one to end the show on.

- J - D -

I loved the slight bait and switch with Joe at the end. At first you think
he'd gone back to IBM or regress to season 1 Joe with the slick suit and briefcase and nice car. But then we see his office door and the "humanities" placard under his name
and it made me smile with relief. Yeah, this feels right.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just a complete mess after watching this, in a good, cathartic way. Haley listening to her dead dads voice recordings to calm her down fucked me up real good.

I will be up for anything the Christophers create next.

NYR

What was Donna's idea..?
Doesn’t matter. The point was Donna and Cameron are back together. It was the thing that got them to the thing - that thing being partners again.

From the creators:

CC: Will you ever reveal what the idea is that Donna has at the end of the finale?

CC: [Facetious.] She creates Skynet with Cameron, which brings about the end of the world. [Laughs.]

For us it was less about the idea, going along with what Cameron says, that the idea can come later and they’re out of ideas and it’s really about the two of them. But we did take care with the director, Karyn Kusama, and the production designers to ensure that in every shot of Donna’s perspective in the diner, once Cameron steps out, there is some sort of correlation to some sort of digital innovation that we all use today. There are four or five that are in there that are very subtle—but again, we’ll never know which one she’s landing on.

I'm such a mess right now. What a brilliant show. Donna's speech at her party destroyed me. Then it made me crack up when Cam walked into the pool.

Joe's final scene is a mirror with his introduction in episode 1, by the way. Go watch that now and appreciate how far he and the show both have come. There was dead roadkill in his bumper for god's sake - couldn't have accused it of subtlety back then.

The scene with donna and cameron talking about a hypothetical phoenix company was stunning. What a gorgeous end to the best show of the year.

Also, it’s ironic that the show HACF imitated most in the beginning (Mad Men) didn’t have as good of a finale as it did in the end.

I don't think we're supposed to know. First thought that it had something to do with ordering food because they were at restaurant. Like a POS system, but I think they existed back then.

Such a fantastic show and what a finale.

When Donna looked at the jukebox at the diner, it instantly made me think of digital music yet timeline wise we wouldn't be there. So I'm probably wrong here.

NYR

Such a fantastic show and what a finale.

When Donna looked at the jukebox at the diner, it instantly made me think of digital music yet timeline wise we wouldn't be there. So I'm probably wrong here.
I really don’t know why everyone is obsessed with what the idea was, It was deliberately shot in such a way to make it ambiguous with many options. The point wasn’t the discovery it was that they were back working together....the thing that got them to the thing.

blanky

It feels really silly, but I'm grateful for Halt and catch fire. That was a real profound story where you could feel everyone put their hearts into it. I wish I could thank them all. Great finale.

Swiggins

Just finished watching the ending, very emotional, loved how everybody ended up.

I doubt we'll see another show like HaCF for a long while, it really was truly unique. Can't wait for the blu-rays to come out so I can finally show my friends what all the hub-bub was about whenever I gushed about the show.

mm04

Probably one of the best and most satisfying series finales I've seen. You knew that Comet was going to get run over in the same way that Cardiff Electric's Giant did by Apple Macintosh. This time it was Yahoo, one of the first commercial search engines. I was very curious how they were going wrap it up with our characters. As much as I wanted so badly for Cam and Joe to make it as a couple, their fates seemed very believable in terms of their personalities even with their evolution and growth over the years. They are much better people at the conclusion of the series then than they were in 1983, but in the end their ultimate wants and desires didn't quite match. I thought the Donna idea scene was great as well. We know the future and watching her focus on a number of events in the diner gives us at least an idea to use our imaginations on what tech she and Cameron are going to work on. I also agree that the IBM bait and switch was a nice ending for Joe. Yes, he still had his fancy material possessions, but he's taken to teaching, which we all know is not the best paying occupation out there. And I absolutely loved how his office was littered with memories of his companions and journey during the show. Yeah, he left but he'll never forget. Absolutely stuck the landing. I'm not sure I could've asked for anything more from this final season.

Amazing finale. Not a single off note in any of it.

slow down now, let's not say things we can't take back

Mad Men should have ended a few years before it did. When I think back on it now I don't really have any fond memories of a large portion of the show. I was mostly watching it out of obligation by the end.

Mad Men should have ended a few years before it did. When I think back on it now I don't really have any fond memories of a large portion of the show. I was mostly watching it out of obligation by the end.

Nah I don't agree with that at all. 5, 6 and 7 were all amazing seasons and I loved how it ended. Best show ever made imo.

Halt is in the top 5 though. What an amazing series.

big ander

Gorgeous stuff. can't wait to show people this show over the next few years, and I'm looking forward to whatever the Chrises do next.

The only part of the finale I'm mixed on is Joe's stuff—his change to being frustrated with Cam felt sudden (though inevitable), as did their breakup. Though that heart-wrenching shot of them on either end of the frame, divided by a wall with a painting of an ocean on it, really sold that there would always be a gulf between them. And I like him becoming a teacher, but I wish there'd been something more between his ghosting and the final scene.

Other than that this was amazing. After how heavy the show's been with professional rifts and deaths, moments like Cam's sandwich falling to pieces, her falling into the pool, Bos contemplating the 21st century, and Donna busting up about "Yahoo!" were a great reminder of how funny the show was. Diane and Bos got a great last moment, Joanie's trip and phone call were perfect, Haley's rejection followed by her shortlived style change and dopey boyfriend gave Skaggs another few chances to prove how talented she is. And of course, best of all was that the finale ultimately centered around Donna and Cam. Bishe and Davis so clearly know those characters and their relationship inside-out. They were the heart of the show and best embodied its themes of change and collaboration.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought the finale was good, but not great. It was a little too neat and cute for my tastes, with Donna completely changing the culture of her stuffy workplace into something resembling Mutiny and suddenly coming up with an idea for her and Cameron to work on in her very last scene being the two main things that bugged me. Cam and Donna's shared daydream of Phoenix was the perfect conclusion to their business relationship and it sort of ruined it for me when they actually contrived a last minute eureka moment to get them back together again.

Joanie gaining enlightenment in Thailand and bonding with her mom over the phone was also a little eye roll worthy.

Joe's final scene was great though (it totally fits that he'd become a teacher) and Haley's progression felt believable and real. Susanna Skaggs is a very promising talent, on the level of Kiernan Shipka and Holly Taylor imo.

big ander

I thought the finale was good, but not great. It was a little too neat and cute for my tastes, with Donna completely changing the culture of her stuffy workplace into something resembling Mutiny and suddenly coming up with an idea for her and Cameron to work on in her very last scene being the two main things that bugged me. Cam and Donna's shared daydream of Phoenix was the perfect conclusion to their business relationship and it sort of ruined it for me when they actually contrived a last minute eureka moment to get them back together again.

Joanie gaining enlightenment in Thailand and bonding with her mom over the phone was also a little eye roll worthy.

Joe's final scene was great though (it totally fits that he'd become a teacher) and Haley's progression felt believable and real. Susanna Skaggs is a very promising talent, on the level of Kiernan Shipka and Holly Taylor imo.
but that eureka moment will spoil, just like their hypothetical Phoenix did. To me the message was that you pursue it anyway. you keep trying and failing because it's all you know how to do.
She looked like she had a revelation when she saw a customer go to the jukebox to pick a song. I'm thinking MP3/digital music related.
as NYR posted above those shots are purposefully composed so it could be several things. The Chrises say so in that interview, and Bishé confirms in an interview that she and the director talked about how it was intentionally open-ended. there was the jukebox, the register, the waitress taking an order. could've been any of them.

Sandfox

but that eureka moment will spoil, just like their hypothetical Phoenix did. To me the message was that you pursue it anyway. you keep trying and failing because it's all you know how to do.

as NYR posted above those shots are purposefully composed so it could be several things. The Chrises say so in that interview, and Bishé confirms in an interview that she and the director talked about how it was intentionally open-ended. there was the jukebox, the register, the waitress taking an order. could've been any of them.

There's also the map Cameron was looking at.

donna's speech and joe/gordon's "the thing that gets us to the thing" scratched my tech itch so much. this show gets why tech inspires me and so many other people so much right down to the T. it's gonna probably be in its own class for a while.

the stretch of episodes from the COMDEX ep in S1 to this series finale are the best tech related anything in tv.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Great ending.

I’m tempted to watch the first season again to see how different the show felt. It’s really been a very long journey in just four short seasons. So glad it got closure.

TripOpt55

Really enjoyed the ending. Particularly Donna and Cam working together again and the way they finished Haley's story on the show.

Top Bottom