• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halt And Catch Fire S4 |OT| The Final Season - Saturdays 9/8c on AMC

Nightfall

The finale had me all teared up right in the first 2 minutes. The comet commercial was something else.

As was the rest of the episode. I like what they've done with all of them. And with this conclusion it could totally be that they're all people who really exist. It cleverly acknowledged how tech companys can fail, despite how popular they are.

It was a great ride and I will miss them all dearly

Can't wait for a complete series blu-ray box

Stiler

Yep, was a good finale and it seemed fitting for the characters.

A lot of shows really try to "up" the ante for a finale and it usually ends up feeling forced and unnatural for the characters. This one however felt natural and the characters ended up in places that seemed believable and fitting for them.

I loved where Cam/Donna ended up, and was almost sad when they were in the office building thinking about their future and what could be. Then
they are road tripping together and Donna totally gets her next idea and you can assume that they actually do work together

As far as Joe goes:
Becoming a teacher made a lot of sense. That was basically what he did from the start, he was great at finding talent and bringing it out of the people, driving them to create something. Without Joe we'd never had any of this. At the same time it was sad though, especially when you see the pictures on his desk of Cam/Gordon, etc. I'd like to think in the future that Joe/Cam/Donna/Boz/Haley get together from time to time and keep up with each other.

Cameron and Joe:
Cameron and Joe not being able to be together felt forced, to be honest. Especially because she tells Haley that she loved him.

They can't just go "oh look, he needs her help but it's suffocating her and he's not dealing with his pain" and then not have that go anywhere. It seems like the writers took the easy way out.

Goo

The show wrapped up better than I expected. Very satisfying, I feel like these are real people I am going to miss. Bravo.

Fantastic wrap-up, one of my favorite series finales ever. I liked the finite conclusions they gave to the main cast, it’s fascinating to think about how much everyone has changed from season to season. Thanks to AMC of course for letting them do a season 4. Cried first couple of minutes in and did well...till the end.

Cameron and Joe:
Cameron and Joe not being able to be together felt forced, to be honest. Especially because she tells Haley that she loved him.

They can't just go "oh look, he needs her help but it's suffocating her and he's not dealing with his pain" and then not have that go anywhere. It seems like the writers took the easy way out.

Yeah it kind of felt like there was a scene missing. Going from their argument to "guess we're breaking up" was sort of confusing. But the actors and the cinematography sold it really well. Plus it did feel true to the characters. I just feel like the inciting incident that directly led to the break-up could've probably been a bit more, I don't know... bigger?

Cameron and Joe:

I think the two characters staying together would have been ultimately contentious because of their different perspectives on wanting children. If they stayed together one of them would have had to bend on a pretty core choice and this show wanted, and got, a happy ending. I think it would have rung hollow if one of them relented about children to keep them together.

I liked most of the endings yet i was pretty sad about Joe and Cam even tough their characters made it clear that they will not end up together and i am happy that the show didn't compromise in that it didn't give you a forced ending with them just for the sake of it.

But then again there is the side of me who thinks about how Joe ends up which makes me sad even tough his end is also hopefull in a sense but while everyone has found their more uplifting paths and will remain somewhat connected together potentially Joe on the other hand has lost most. He lost is best friend and business partner. He lost his love even tough he changed so much over the years but ultimately it was still not to be. He gets to be a teacher and as a previous poster nicely observed gets to have the children this way he wanted but still remains severed from all his friends and loved ones from his former life which is a bittersweet ending indeed :(

Why’re people spoiler tagging when the entire show has aired? Maybe it’s just muscle memory lol.

Joe up and leaving hurt me but it still felt believable within his character actions. He’s just that one guy who loves drastic change.

IronRinn

After the lukewarm reception when it first premiered it's still a little crazy that it wound up so highly acclaimed. Gonna have to plow through it now that it's all done. Question for you guys: How long should I hang in for, in general, if it doesn't grab me right away? Or is it hook in right out of the gate?

big ander

I think the two characters staying together would have been ultimately contentious because of their different perspectives on wanting children. If they stayed together one of them would have had to bend on a pretty core choice and this show wanted, and got, a happy ending. I think it would have rung hollow if one of them relented about children to keep them together.
Yeah—I've been thinking it will play better on a rewatch. The tensions were there all along

After the lukewarm reception when it first premiered it's still a little crazy that it wound up so highly acclaimed. Gonna have to plow through it now that it's all done. Question for you guys: How long should I hang in for, in general, if it doesn't grab me right away? Or is it hook in right out of the gate?
Generally it's agreed that the first season is a slow build until the last 2-4 episodes. I think it's best to try and watch season 1 and get to that point, but if after the first few you're strongly considering bailing jump to season 2.

Karkador

Banned

The first episode hooked me pretty quickly, as plenty of interesting things happen. Even if you're not particularly interested in this sort of 'computers period piece' (which the series does a pretty decent job of getting right), it's a show that attempts to capture both sides of the creative spark - the highs of when things work, and the crushing lows when they break. Not just in terms of objects breaking, but also relationships and people.

IronRinn

Yeah—I've been thinking it will play better on a rewatch. The tensions were there all along

Generally it's agreed that the first season is a slow build until the last 2-4 episodes. I think it's best to try and watch season 1 and get to that point, but if after the first few you're strongly considering bailing jump to season 2.

The first episode hooked me pretty quickly, as plenty of interesting things happen. Even if you're not particularly interested in this sort of 'computers period piece' (which the series does a pretty decent job of getting right), it's a show that attempts to capture both sides of the creative spark - the highs of when things work, and the crushing lows when they break. Not just in terms of objects breaking, but also relationships and people.
Got it. Thanks for taking the time, guys!

I like to think that somewhere down the proverbial line, Joe and Cameron will find each other again.

Regardless, they both became infinitely better people by the end of the show, and that is largely due to their relationship.

Fantastic show. Kudos to all of you who were there Day One and kudos to the better-late-than-never crowd. :)

With any luck, this show will continue to generate fans over the course of the next few years.

Yeah it kind of felt like there was a scene missing. Going from their argument to "guess we're breaking up" was sort of confusing. But the actors and the cinematography sold it really well. Plus it did feel true to the characters. I just feel like the inciting incident that directly led to the break-up could've probably been a bit more, I don't know... bigger?

I think that I would have been fine with it if they at least showed us Joe and Cam having the kids talk. I mean, they did load that Chekhov's Gun with him talking to Bos about it.

kevin1025

Banned
I think that I would have been fine with it if they at least showed us Joe and Cam having the kids talk. I mean, they did load that Chekhov's Gun with him talking to Bos about it.

Cam and Donna talk about it outside Gordon's house about how she never wants them, as well. I think it works since it shows their relationship in a nutshell, one person wants something, the other doesn't, and to keep things working, no one says it.

big ander

The dinner is an important unspoken part of it too. They all care about Haley of course, but you can see how Joe is just fixated on her, and Cam catches that too.

I agree it wasn't perfect. But I'll say again I think the quiet sudden separation will make more sense on rewatch.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
The finale wasn't as sad as the episode after his death was.

Overall, this season didn't really do much for me, but it was emotionally pulling towards the end.

RIP in pieces Phoenix.

NYR

The finale wasn't as sad as the episode after his death was.

Overall, this season didn't really do much for me, but it was emotionally pulling towards the end.

RIP in pieces Phoenix.
The death episode is currently the highest rated IMDb episode. Hard to top it. The follow up episode was amazing.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
but that eureka moment will spoil, just like their hypothetical Phoenix did. To me the message was that you pursue it anyway. you keep trying and failing because it's all you know how to do.

Fair enough, but I would have rather they had come up with a more organic way to get them to the thing that gets them to the thing.

Like maybe the idea was something that Donna had thought of earlier in the season but pushed out of her mind because she was too busy with everything else (or maybe she was feeling insecure about it since she's never really been the idea person) but then at the very end decides to share it with Cameron anyway.

I finally had a chance to watch the finale last night and it was a perfect end to a great story. It was a beautiful end to see each character both come full circle and move onto new horizons. This show will be deeply missed but I am also deeply satisfied with the whole journey.

I finished up last night, too. A great finish to a fantastic show. Some of the best character-driven drama out there. I am happy to have been able to experience it and to me there is nothing else like it.

Congrats to the Chrises and the cast & crew. Seem like a lot of TLC went into making each episode. Sad to see it go but glad it was on their own terms.

Lee Pace absolutely nailed it as Joe. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for whatever his next projects are.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
L + SD Ratings:

Season 1:

Episode 1: 1.19 million
Episode 2: 970K
Episode 3: 765K
Episode 4: 844K
Episode 5: 575K
Episode 6: 717K
Episode 7: ??
Episode 8: 627K
Episode 9: 549K
Episode 10: 574K

Season 2:

Episode 1: 659K
Episode 2: 494K
Episode 3: 452K
Episode 4: 451K
Episode 5: 543K
Episode 6: 558K
Episode 7: 499K
Episode 8: 497K
Episode 9: 588K
Episode 10: 485K

Season 3:

Episodes 1 & 2: 339K
Episode 3: 397K
Episode 4: 312K
Episode 5: 324K
Episode 6: 280K
Episode 7: 307K
Episode 8: 366K
Episode 9: 407K
Episode 10: 287K

Season 4:

Episodes 1 & 2: 340K
Episode 3: 270K
Episode 4: 344K
Episode 5: 313K
Episode 6: 354K
Episode 7: 322K
Episode 8: 327K
Episodes 9 & 10: 394K

Werd

Ended up re-watching the series over the past couple weeks. I liked season 1 more and season 2 less than I remembered. Joe's character was off early and the handling of some of his past felt really forced, but building the Giant was still an entertaining story for me. Then for much of S2 Cameron's attitude (part of a development arc or not) is really hard to take, and Joe is too far removed from the rest of the story so those scenes don't flow into the episode well. And so much focus of Gordon's scenes is on his illness, like that better when it's more subtle for the rest of the series. Good stuff in there too though, the Cameron/Donna partnership ended up being one of the main focuses of the series obviously.

Season 3/4 were definitely the better part of the series though, felt like they found the right mix of the lead characters without anyone dropping into the background too much and the emotional moments just work more after seasons with the characters. Very good finale.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I'm seriously LTTP:

I've finally caught up to the final season and am part way through it on Netflix. I really loved the show. One of the best I've watched in a while. IMO, I can see that the show had likely run it's course with the main characters. I've read that at some point there may be a spin-off of sorts. Still, I'll miss it. AMC has ended some of the best shows I've watched in forever recently as well. I hope they have some other blockbuster shows on their hands. They've definitely had at least three four I can think of off the top of my head.

GymWolf

I'm seriously LTTP:

I've finally caught up to the final season and am part way through it on Netflix. I really loved the show. One of the best I've watched in a while. IMO, I can see that the show had likely run it's course with the main characters. I've read that at some point there may be a spin-off of sorts. Still, I'll miss it. AMC has ended some of the best shows I've watched in forever recently as well. I hope they have some other blockbuster shows on their hands. They've definitely had at least three four I can think of off the top of my head.
also one of the best opening ever

Top Bottom