• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hands-on with The Legend of Korra on PS4

I don't think anyone really cares that it's PlayStation Blog hyping up a PlayStation (and Xbox/PC) game. We had no idea what this game was like other than knowing that Platinum is developing it so I don't mind a little fluff as long as they're providing solid details on the gameplay which is the important part.

On topic, the game sounds great, we knew Platinum was a good fit and thankfully it's being designed like a game and not a marketing tie-in. Can't wait to see some of those hand-painted backgrounds and I'm glad iconic abilities/moves like the Air Scooter are in.

lupinko

I think the only issue with this is the game being a download title as opposed to a full retail game.

Well here's hoping it does good to justify a retail sequel or follow up or something.

But seriously yeah, I'd want a Platinum Games Deadpool game, I'm sure Activision would too but Disney hates Fox so much to screw over all X-Men and F4 properties.

Mononoke

Banned
Complaining about Kotaku East -- a subsite of Kotaku that covers Asian culture and has run every weekday from 4am-8am for over two years now -- is even more boring than previews. If you don't like that stuff, don't read the site then. Read it during regular daytime hours, or just read whatever articles pop up on NeoGAF or other aggregators. I really don't mind. I certainly don't read or care about everything on Kotaku East.

I think it is brilliant, not just because it's fun for Nintendo fans to feel like they're at E3, but because it showcases the people who work there, not just the games. As more companies take after Nintendo and do things like stream their E3 coverage, game sites will have to adapt accordingly.

I think it's always healthy to be skeptical about previews. However, it didn't really help that as soon as you said it, Destructoid posted one that was also positive. I think it was just bad timing on your end tbh. lool

wildfire

Banned
Haha, I have never seen so much negativity on GAF in response to the idea that people should be more skeptical of previews--especially ones posted on Sony's PlayStation Blog--making video games sound good! Reading this and realizing that it could've been posted on any gaming site is strange and kinda scary to me, as someone who cares a great deal about video game writing and reporting. Given how often people on this site complain about video game journalism, I imagined most GAFfers would agree. Video game sites need to evolve or they'll just be replaced by corporate blogs like this, which will be very bad news for anyone who likes gaming.

Personally I pick and choose my battles. Being a full time activist shouldn't just be talking about a problem in a broad view (hype machines are bad and need to be changed) but actually being in the moment and talking about things specific to the subject (Korra's story is weak, videogame power up tropes are being followed, production values of a downloadable game, time constraints of making a game between seasons of a TV show, combat system misrepresents bending)

You can only hope people react to and discuss these specifics to keep their hype in check.

I think it's always healthy to be skeptical about previews. However, it didn't really help that as soon as you said it, Destructoid posted one that was also positive. I think it was just bad timing on your end tbh. lool
No it wasn't bad timing. What part of the playstation blog sounds no different from gaming sites did you not understand?

watership

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail your thread. I'll stop responding about this here -- someone's welcome to make a new thread if they want to talk more about previews in general, and I'll respond as I have time.

Playstation blog has been doing this for awhile, getting the first preview to games, even multiplatform ones, before media sites. They set the initial tone and are usually extremely positive.. very much like the old school "official' mags were. In fact, that's exactly what that site is now. They also benefit from first reveals/previews in that they closely identify a game with their platform, regardless of what other platform it's coming too. So there much be money changing hands for them to get the reveals.

This isn't necessarily an incorrect statement, but...I prefer previews to reviews. Previews are forced to be more detached and just tell me how the game plays.

You got Naruto in your avatar. You don't have room to talk, lol.

You obviously dont watch Naruto, the Character maybe childish, but the series is brutal, beheading's, eye ripping, body snatching, soul sucking, heart ripping, family slaughtering, genocide, homicide, kids killing kids, Korra in comparison would be the equivalent of watching Spongebob lol

If those does well I hope they make a full avatar game revolved around Wan is made. I think a videogame set in Wan's time would be amazing.

Mononoke

Banned
Personally I pick and choose my battles. Being a full time activist shouldn't just be talking about a problem in a broad view (hype machines are bad and need to be changed) but actually being in the moment and talking about things specific to the subject (Korra's story is weak, videogame power up tropes are being followed, production values of a downloadable game, time constraints of making a game between seasons of a TV show, combat system misrepresents bending)

You can only hope people react to and discuss these specifics to keep their hype in check.

No it wasn't bad timing. What part of the playstation blog sounds no different from gaming sites did you not understand?

Lol I'm just saying, he was quick to point out that it was a Sony based preview (and then immediately after, a gaming site posted another impression that was similarly positive). I'm not saying this negates his point. Where did I say that?

Hell, I think you SHOULD be skeptical even of a gaming site preview. I'm just saying in terms of overall mood (and how people perceived his intention of shooting the preview down), it was bad timing. I'm not arguing that people are being rational with their responses with him. Often I think how people react is irrational (based on how they perceive things, or they feel emotionally).

Astarte

You obviously dont watch Naruto, the Character maybe childish, but the series is brutal, Korra in comparison would be the equivalent of watching Spongebob lol

I've unfortunately never dropped Naruto and let me just say that it's one of the dumbest series in existence. It squandered potential harder than korra ever has.

Mesoian

You obviously dont watch Naruto, the Character maybe childish, but the series is brutal, Korra in comparison would be the equivalent of watching Spongebob lol

...It's really not very brutal. Both shows explore the same elements of human brutality and war, Naruto just indulges in 1 sided idiots who like nothing more to kill people for far longer than it needs to. It's that book's number 1 problem, for as much good characters they have, they spend HUNDREDS of chapters on characters who are completely 1 dimensional and boring.

Avatar's character at least have to make some hard decisions in their quest for power. They're children who act like children, so it's understandable when they quit or sulk or make a poor decision.

That depends. Is the lead artist working on the game a 14 year old that caters to lolicon fantasies?

I MEAN....SORT OF. I remember those shipping wars...

Skele7on

Banned
either Jason has me on ignore or just doesn't want to comment on what I had to say.

I am disappointed, Although really hyped for this game, any word on a release date, it looks absolutely great, just hope its far superior than the other games in the avatar bracket?

please this year!

Gbraga

Here was my train of thought:

- Wow, people are reading this as if it's a preview on any game site, even though it was written by a PlayStation employee.
- Wow, this really does read like it could be a preview on any game site. Scary!
- If the PlayStation Blog is covering games in the same way as any game site would, something is seriously wrong with preview culture, and we need to figure out how to change that, rather than let inertia take over, and watch game sites go obsolete.

I have no idea whether the game is good or not, nor will anybody until they actually play it. But this typical PR cycle is feeling more gross and less relevant every day.

Hope that helps.

It would help if game sites actually understood the games they talk about (not throwing jabs at anyone in particular, really). It's one thing to complain that game X doesn't teach you its mechanics, and that is a negative point, but it's another thing to completely fail to understand those mechanics and then say the game doesn't have them. You'd expect that professionals would at least be able to explore the game's systems to be able to properly criticize them, which seems to not be the case every time a game with a complex combat system is reviewed.

And I'm not even bitter because games I like receive low scores, there are cases where the review is actually positive but the text is utterly useless. Things like these that make people actually care less for reviews, that are opinions formed after they experienced the whole product, while they still care about PR previews, that's nothing more than a short list of features.

I just think you're raising the discussion with poor timing. This is one of the cases where we actually do care about PR previews, since we had absolutely no idea of how the game would play, or what features it would have. Any information is welcome here.

One possible solution: get out of preview culture entirely. Let Nintendo and the PlayStation Blog be the hypemen and women. Spend more time covering real stories and games that are already out, rather than the dripfeed of press releases and PR-approved info that this industry loves so much.

Hm, I think you do have a pretty good point here.

Korben

Banned
Legend of Korra, here i come !

IL2IQsb.gif

You can vote for the final cover on FaceBook:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.901144116568849.1073741827.209565489060052&type=1

Also, you get to ride Naga, the polar bear dog. I'd be more interested if that were a combat tactic, honestly, because the Temple Run-style mini-game, while cute, seems more like a necessary reprieve from beating bad guys stupid than something actually substantial.

Guess the travel minigame was a unnavoidable.

I quickly swapped between the four elemental styles using the R1 and L1 buttons, so a fire punch might be followed by a wind attack. Each bending style can be leveled individually through repeated use, and I could also charge up the next move in the combo. Each element is beautifully realized in a cel-shaded art style that looks impressive.

Yas.

JohngPR

Maybe. But seeing a GAF thread titled "Hands-on with the Legend of Korra on PS4" that could've been about any game site, but is instead about a game company's blog post, made me think about how weird and uncomfortable this situation is.

For you, apparently. :p

For me it's about getting some info about the game rather than gauging the quality of it.

Anywho, it's sounds like Platinum is taking this seriously, which is beneficial for all parties involved. Good to know they have it running well.

After reading those previews, I'm actually very interested in seeing some gameplay now. This sounds like a good Licensed game, which is hard to come by these days.

Is this really the best place to bring this up? We're trying to find out any information about a game that no one would have guesses existed a week ago. Take your soapbox somewhere else.

Yeah I like Schreier's work a lot, but this is a quite obnoxious de-rail to an otherwise very non-controversial game. As others have said, if this is something you feel strongly about, why not do a feature of it, or make a separate thread that doesn't distract so heavily from those that just want to discuss this title, and not industry marketing tactics as a whole? Just seems in poor taste here of all places.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
My biggest hopes are that the animation is good and true to the fluidity of the show. If it were up to me Namco Bandai should've handled the project. They're the masters when it comes to cel-shaded animation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twlHRx-pY9g#t=188
Seamless transitions between bending sounds pretty neat though.

Gbraga

Day -100. The style switching with the shoulder buttons was the last thing I needed to be confirmed. So hype.

Right? I was already expecting it to be way more streamlined and just have different moves, because no way they would have time to actually make style systems, but glad to know I was wrong.

Please don't suck, please don't suck, PLEASE DON'T SUCK.

Hope she calls her styles out when you switch like Uncle Dante.

THAT'S THE FIRST THING THAT CAME TO MY MIND

No way it'll happen :/

wildfire

Banned
Lol I'm just saying, he was quick to point out that it was a Sony based preview (and then immediately after, a gaming site posted another impression that was similarly positive). I'm not saying this negates his point. Where did I say that?

Hell, I think you SHOULD be skeptical even of a gaming site preview. I'm just saying in terms of overall mood (and how people perceived his intention of shooting the preview down), it was bad timing.

Ok I see your train of thought. His first post was just about it being a PS blog but people leave out motivating factors all the time in their posts and clarify their stances afterwards. I'm willing to err on the side that his statement could be made at anytime before the preview came out and after the game launched.

I can see why Jason's remarks come across as petty sniping considering his job but there were a ton of buzz kills in the announcement threads decrying Activision's involvement. Do they all have bad timing? [/rhetorical]

If those does well I hope they make a full avatar game revolved around Wan is made. I think a videogame set in Wan's time would be amazing.

I'd love this, but Activision will fund the bare minimum and that means it'll be similarly linear.

I'm not against that if this is as good as the previews suggest. I need footage to form a better opinion though.

I don't mind at all if the game is just messing up dudes with interesting Platinum style combat. I'm not expecting any great storytelling or epic scope, but hopefully there will be enough challenge to make use of the various bending techniques worth it.

Mononoke

Banned
Ok I see your train of thought. His first post was just about it being a PS blog but people leave out motivating factors all the time in their posts and clarify their stances afterwards. I'm willing to err on the side that his statement could be made at anytime before the preview came out and after the game launched.

I can see why Jason's remarks come across as petty sniping considering his job but there were a ton of buzz kills in the announcement threads decrying Activision's involvement. Do they all have bad timing?

I'm approaching this more from an irrational level (as I think most people are being irrational). You know how sometimes a "mood" can be ruined, or people can get pissy over something. Basically, I see it like this:

People are really hyped for this game (they love Avatar + Platinum. It's a dream come true). First preview is out, people are really happy it sounds good. Jason bluntly says: it's a Sony preview, do you REALLY think they wouldn't make it sound good. Then after that other sites start releasing previews and they are also positive.

So following that timeline, I can see why some would think Jason was just kind of trying to be a buzzkill. The other previews reinforce this (at least to them). Again, Jason was NOT wrong to make his post (there is nothing wrong with him being skeptical). And most of the anger towards him is not rational. Well, i don't want to write off every post. I guess there is a debate to be had about whether Sony blogs are legitimate previews or not (in terms of bias). But generally, I think most people that are mad were mad because of emotion and not what he said.

Just my 2 cents. I don't mean to offend anyone. Trust me, I'm a huge avatar fan (obviously). I love Platinum. And yes, the Sony preview got me excited. But I see nothing wrong with Jason being skeptical of a Sony preview (or previews in general). Whatever.

Astarte

Anywho, it's sounds like Platinum is taking this seriously, which is beneficial for all parties involved. Good to know they have it running well.

Glad to see that they're not treating it as licensed shovelware. High hopes!

Lol let me stop, Korra is sitll a good series though.

Ya got me, I got meme'd on hard. My mom always told me not to get meme'd on, but here I am getting meme'd on.

Top Bottom