• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hands-on with The Legend of Korra on PS4

wildfire

Banned
I'd love this, but Activision will fund the bare minimum and that means it'll be similarly linear.

I'm not against that if this is as good as the previews suggest. I need footage to form a better opinion though.

Considering the effort they are putting into the story and how Platinum meshes spoken dialogue with their gameplay I would hope it is linear to ensure everything flows well and they aren't spreading themselves too thin with side missions not relevant to the plot.

They have a very limited time frame to build this game so they can't afford to make an open world game like Shenmue.

Considering the effort they are putting into the story and how Platinum meshes spoken dialogue with their gameplay I would hope it is linear to ensure everything flows well and they aren't spreading themselves too thin with side missions not relevant to the plot.

They have a very limited time frame to build this game so they can't afford to make an open world game like Shenmue.

That's a very good point. I'm not against the game being linear, but I'd be lying if I said I'm not disappointed that we won't be able to explore Republic City.

Maybe if there's a sequel.

wildfire

Banned
People are really hyped for this game (they love Avatar + Platinum. It's a dream come true). First preview is out, people are really happy it sounds good. Jason bluntly says: it's a Sony preview, do you REALLY think they wouldn't make it sound good. Then after that other sites start releasing previews and they are also positive.

So following that timeline, I can see why some would think Jason was just kind of trying to be a buzzkill.

Just my 2 cents. I don't mean to offend anyone. Trust me, I'm a huge avatar fan (obviously). I love Platinum. And yes, the Sony preview got me excited. But I see nothing wrong with Jason being skeptical of a Sony preview (or previews in general). Whatever.

I know how much of fan you are. It's hard to rip to shreds your baby Korra but that's the breaks when you love something so much you can't show it any mercy when the time is right.

Hopefully the team is putting as much love into the background as they did the TV shows and that Platinum was able to convey the flow of having a story in a game or that they independently took time on their own to learn from Irrational, Bioware and even Platinum and push interactive fiction forward.

Sadly, Korra fans have actually found out the dimension and weight of Korra's chest. Yes, that actually happened. =/

Wait a minute!? The weight?? PM please.

The announcement of this game made me realize I haven't even watched Season 2 yet

The game is already bought since it's a Platinum game about airbending, but its nice to know it controls good

Mononoke

Banned
I know how much of fan you are. It's hard to rip to shreds your baby Korra but that's the breaks when you love something so much you can't show it any mercy when the time is right.

Hopefully the team is putting as much love into the background as they did the TV shows and that Platinum was able to convey the flow of having a story in a game or that they took time on their own to learn from Irrational, Bioware and even Platinum and push interactive fiction forward.

Hey it doesn't bother me. Do I want this to be great? Obviously. If the game ends up being bad, it's bad. I really see no reason to sugarcoat or defend a bad game. Just because you are a fan of a series, doesn't mean anything involved with it is good (lol look at M Night's movie. Most of the fan base acts like it doesn't exist).

Hopefully the team is putting as much love into the background as they did the TV shows and that Platinum was able to convey the flow of having a story in a game or that they independently took time on their own to learn from Irrational, Bioware and even Platinum and push interactive fiction forward.

Wait a minute!? The weight?? PM please.

Lol don't want to get banned, I'll link you (although I saw it on Reddit a while back, so not sure if I can find exactly what I saw)...

Mononoke

Banned
A man has found that the world was round with some observations thousands of years ago, and this shocks you?

I wasn't judging. :p

Anyways, I'm still excited for this game. But I've adjusted my expectations to a pretty reasonable level. I expect it to be a fun/decent downloadable title. I'm not expecting anything great, but at least a pretty good experience. I'm mostly excited about Platinum's gameplay with bending. It's always something I wanted to do in a game. So even if the game doesn't end up being great, I'll just be happy if the combat sections are fun.

Akiller

4 switchable elemental styles + Rising-ish parry/counter
Similar to a counter-attack Platinum used in previous games like Bayonetta or Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, players are rewarded with a powerful follow up strike if they can pull off a block at just the last second. Once I factored in some of the title heroine’s elemental-bending abilities, combat opened up with some potentially devastating attack combinations.

I quickly swapped between the four elemental styles using the R1 and L1 buttons, so a fire punch might be followed by a wind attack. Each bending style can be leveled individually through repeated use, and I could also charge up the next move in the combo. Each element is beautifully realized in a cel-shaded art style that looks impressive.

Difficulty modes and final boss fight
We got a chance to see a level 10 Korra and, expectedly, she tore through groups of triad foes with relative ease. But Platinum Games assured us they’d have additional difficulty modes for hardcore action genre fans. They also mentioned that the final boss will be a huge highlight for the studio -- the main villain for this game was designed in collaboration with series creators but sounds like a worthy adversary expected from this development group. Casual action games fans can also just tackle easy mode if any of this sounds too intimidating -- a staple in most of this studio's previous work.

wildfire

Banned
Hope the look of this matches the show. Bright colors and all.

Actually the PS4 version will look a lot better than the other platforms.

tehboulder.gif

But they had to sacrifice particle and physics effects to reach such detail.

Namikaze

Sounds amazing, I'm glad Platinum is doing this game. The original series only got horrible cash ins..

I hope that they improve the character models and shadows, etc. by the time the game launches. They look a bit rough right now.

But Platinum Games assured us they’d have additional difficulty modes for hardcore action genre fans. They also mentioned that the final boss will be a huge highlight for the studio.

They're saying this after the insane Hype Tornadoes at the ends of Bayonetta, Vanquish, Revengeance and W101. I honestly can't even imagine.

Gbraga

We're all forgetting the most important thing: what's the highest difficulty level going to be called?

In order to keep the series' identity, they'll probably go with something like "probender", instead of the usual Platinum crazy, unfortunately.

UrbanRats

Previews are boring and increasingly useless to readers, and this is testament to that. If a preview written on a game company's blog reads just like a preview written on a game site, something's horribly wrong in the way game sites are approaching their coverage, don't you think? Maybe we need to take a long hard look at preview culture and think about who it's really serving.
Eh, there will be plenty of time to understand whether the game is good or not.
The point in reading a preview like this, is more to get a sense of what type of gameplay you're going to get, and the mentions of familiar games (like Revengeance) are a good metric.

Unless you rush to pre-order, there is no foul at all.

*One of the water moves will be a Nero- like grab that will let you bring enemies to you when you're in the air. Where you switch to Air style and tornado them higher and then slam them down. Then you kick them back up with an Earth style giant fist as you juggle them with Fire style bullets and then end it in Avatar state where you just do some crazy nonsense.

*I wish

Gbraga

*One of the water moves will be a Nero- like grab that will let you bring enemies to you when you're in the air. Where you switch to Air style and tornado them higher and then slam them down. Then you kick them back up with an Earth style giant fist as you juggle them with Fire style bullets and then end it in Avatar state where you just do some crazy nonsense.

*I wish

There's also the version of that move that makes you go to the enemy, and if you double jump just when you touch the enemy, you'll be considered grounded for a short frame window, making your air moveset much bigger.

ethomaz

Banned
So the only reason this game has gotten so much attention at all, then...okay.
I like the anime... so if it was another developer I will be more interested but that's me and not everybody.

I tried a lot of Platinum games and all of them are the same... boring and meh... the best one for me was Bayonetta that I give a 7/10 score (not the same Hack 'n' Slash level than DmC or GoW but well it is better than Castlevania LoS), even so it was one of easiest games I ever played.

BadWolf

*I wish

Bayonetta could do stuff similar to that with her whip so its a possibility.

I tried a lot of Platinum games and all of them are the same... boring and meh... the best one for me was Bayonetta that I give a 7/10 score (not the same Hack 'n' Slash level than DmC or GoW but well it is better than Castlevania LoS).

I think I need to lie down.

Remind me, has Korra ever used lightning on the show? Because if you can lightning bend in this game I don't think I'm going to be able to control myself.

#TeamFire

Korigama

I like the anime... so if it was another developer I will be more interested but that's me and not everybody.

I tried a lot of Platinum games and all of them are the same... boring and meh... the best one for me was Bayonetta that I give a 7/10 score (not the same Hack 'n' Slash level than DmC or GoW but well it is better than Castlevania LoS).
Then you're one of the few people not complaining about what TV shows they don't like in these threads, I'll give you that much.

It's really dense to say that Platinum games are all the same when that's blatantly false. Furthermore, no one with any credible knowledge of character action games would say GoW or DmC of all things are even close to Bayonetta, let alone be under the impression that those games are even remotely above it. Being better than Lords of Shadow is also not a challenge.

Zomba13

I tried a lot of Platinum games and all of them are the same... boring and meh... the best one for me was Bayonetta that I give a 7/10 score (not the same Hack 'n' Slash level than DmC or GoW but well it is better than Castlevania LoS), even so it was one of easiest games I ever played.

I can't. I just can't.

I guess opinions are opinions but it looks like they can be wrong sometimes.

I hope this is a good game that way Plat can make another game BUT WITH AN ORIGINAL AVATAR! How sweet would that be?

what i find crazy about the show is how different Sam looks now compared to back when the show started compared to Dean who pretty much looks the same more or less.

Gbraga

That's fine, a lot of people don't like Platinum. But I wonder which developer you think would do a better job than Platinum at capturing the bending styles and making it into a decent action game?

Aside from Bayonetta and Vanquish, I actually like DmC more than their other games, but I don't think there's any dev better suited for this than Platinum or maybe Capcom. So much that I didn't believe it when I first read that Platinum was working on this, it was just a perfect match.

Remind me, has Korra ever used lightning on the show? Because if you can lightning bend in this game I don't think I'm going to be able to control myself.

#TeamFire

she's never done that, nor metal- or bloodbent. However, I could see those being high level unlockables just for the hell of it.

Phades

*I wish

Move gets prefaced by launching a boulder into the air. Grab/throw->air juggle-> boulder comes down slamming forcing the target into a pillar rising from the ground, then barbecue them inside the newly minted pressure cooker/kiln. While they are cooking avatar state and bend the energy of the out of them resulting in an explosion...

Or something.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
The stance switching for different types of attacks sounds good. Now let's get some in-game footage if it's so far along! Or at least a trailer.

Top Bottom