• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy Birthday, Dreamcast!

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
thuway said:
Does anyone remember being excited about Sega Net and playing games on a 56k connection. :lol

I remember I used to go on IGN and look up free 56k ISPs to use for the Dreamcast.

netzero, juno,etc.

good times.

pakkit

Banned
Jet Set Radio, and, more recently, Propeller Arena.

Also, MDK2, because that is the greatest game ever made.

I hope my second Capcom Ascii FT Pad gets here today, that would be perfect...

Also I hope my damn History of Film text book finally gets here, but that can wait until Thursday... :lol

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I just bought a DC along with JSR and Shenmue.
RECOMMEND RPGS AT ME. (Japanese releases only.)

I remember 9/9/99.

Going into the mall, getting FFVIII and not having a clue what the DC was, or even seeing anything about it.

PSGames

TheSonicRetard said:
Sonic Adventure on 9/9/99 after a year long media blackout.

OMG. I can't describe how out of this world those graphics were at the time. No generation leap has been comparable, IMO.

Yep the only console I've purchase where I was completely satisfied out of the box. The jump from previous systems was HUGE.

Tain

RevenantKioku said:
I just bought a DC along with JSR and Shenmue.
RECOMMEND RPGS AT ME. (Japanese releases only.)

I remember 9/9/99.

Going into the mall, getting FFVIII and not having a clue what the DC was, or even seeing anything about it.

Dreamcast, from my memory, is kind of a shitty RPG system. Have you played any of the ports of Grandia II?

Foil

dcbirthday.jpg

The Dreamcast, the system that turned me from a nerdy gamer into a hardcore gamer with muuuuuuuch better taste.

The system and its library made me into the gamer I am today, the guy who still goes gaga over lightgun and 2d shooters, 2d fighting games, and the bizarre and imaginative games that were so plentiful on the DC (Toy Commander, I spent so many happy hours with you).

Thanks Sega, thanks a million.

ethic

lol. Remember Seaman? That game kicked all sorts of ass.
I remember showing it to my mother, and as soon as she
started watching my little frog dudes (or whatever they were)
started having sex with each other.

Kind of an awkward moment.

Oh, man; I still remember posting on the related Newsgroups.
I even saw a guy post here who I remembered from the groups
(Goodcow).

Ten-Song

I remember waiting a few days after it launched, thinking I wasn't going to get one for my Birthday, but sure enough, I did... which sucked, because I had a broken arm and couldn't play anything...

mr stroke

skipping class to get stoned and playing NFL2k all day was amazing :)
we would sit around and play Dreamcast all day taking turns between NFL2k and playing this pile of shit-
11-1.jpg

loved it at the time, but man was this game complete ass :(

I think I'm going to get my Dreamcast out of the closet and play some NHL2k later today. I have fond memories of those 15-0 victories over CPU on the "hardest" difficulty setting.

mr stroke said:
skipping clase to get stoned and playing NFL2k all day was amazing :)
we would sit around and play Dreamcast all day taking turns between NFL2k and playing this pile of shit-
11-1.jpg

haha, that game was awful. I can't believe it was compared to Resident Evil.

S1lentTwo

Banned
Orellio said:
Fucking agreed. I bought a DC keyboard just so I could text chat with other players. Though the custom emoticons you could create had a certain charm to them.

Nothing in the genre has come close to capturing my attention like PSO did. What. a. game.

Agreed. I also got the keyboard.

Hell, I barely graduated high school because of that game. But it was worth it.

wow, coincidentally i am in the middle of purchasing my first dreamcast. i kinda stopped gaming from 1995-2002.. can't remember what i did instead?

Mdk7

Simply the greatest console EVER, even if for irrational love reasons i think that N64 is still the best.

But man, how much fun i've had with the DC...
THAT Sega rocked so so much.

Surfheart

mr stroke said:
skipping class to get stoned and playing NFL2k all day was amazing :)
11-1.jpg

My friends and I nicknamed that game "Ring Stinger"

Xater

Happy Birthday Dreamcast!

Loved playing Shenmue 1+2 with it and I don't want to know how much tiem I have spent plaing Soul Calibur and Virtua Tennis. Aaah good times...

The Dreamcast was good....as a door stop.

No seriously my flatmate had one, his brother gave it to him after his bro bought a PS2. We didn't play it much, chi chi robot whatever and soul calibur.

Zep

Banned
fuck you sega...

Couldn't support a console that my pops put at least $600-700 into for me...

Glad you're gone..And haven't bought a game made by you since.

domlolz

Banned
I share my birthday with the dreamcast,hurrah,same day i got one aswell..........

JET SET RADIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Surfheart said:
My friends and I nicknamed that game "Ring Stinger"

I was thinking "this guy MUST be Australian"...and lo and behold, your avatar sealed the deal. Couldn't get more Australian. Awesome.

Yeah, the Dreamcast. Loved it. Big fan of Metropolis Street Racer, and still hoping a sequel comes of this one:

otdc.jpg

Quite possibly my all-time favourite console shooter, simply because it was balls-out fast and furious. True arcade classic.

outtrigger-game-a.jpeg

Wonderful stuff.

Hero

Ah, the Dreamcast, perhaps the last console aimed at the hardcore gamer.

Soul Calibur, PSO, MvC2, SvC2, G:MotW, RE:CV, Crazy Taxi, Rez, Ikaruga.

I miss those days.

Playing Soul Calibur for the first time when I got it was mind-blowing. I played it so much and unlocked everything. I particularly remember the mode that allowed you to edit the intro with a lot of fondness.

I never owned a Dreamcast and I'm not in a hurry to go out and buy one with the reports of late life failures but I do have to thank it for creating Shenmue, leading to the Xbox port of Shenmue 2. Brilliant game, Thank You Dreamcast and Happy Birthday!!!

thuway said:
Does anyone remember being excited about Sega Net and playing games on a 56k connection. :lol

let me repeat myself: there were games that ran better this way than most stuff on XBL+broadband nowadays.

I remember thinking about buying a Dreamcast before the PS2 launched, and I nearly did it. I certainly spent many hours oggling at the machine at a local electronics store. But still, due to my incredible strenght of will, I waited for the PS2, and I wasn't disappointed. Fortunately my friend got a DC, so I remember playing such classics as Ikaruga and Border down on it. Ah, and Shenmue as well ( obviously ).

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Happy Birthday Dreamcast!

Still plugged, and still playing it weekly. So many great arcade games. So much fun.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Blablurn said:
Let's celebrate, GAF. What are your favourite Dremcast moments?

Buying one in 2006 for £15 and taking it back because it was defective. It kept making these weird noises like a dot matrix printer.

Seriously though, it's sitting proudly alongside my Gamecube and PS3 and connected to my HDTV with a VGA cable.

Top Bottom