• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy Birthday, Dreamcast!

nny

Happy Birthday DC, I still have the console hooked up to a TV (and to my heart). That white box makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. <3

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
DC's birthday is actually November 27th, but happy NA launch anniversary... or something.

Omikaru

I think now would be a good time to dig up a new power cord for my DC, and go purchase a VGA cable for the thing so I can play it on my HDTV.

I think once my DC is ready to be played again I'll jump straight into Shenmue, then Shenmue II and after that go and play some Jet Set Radio. Ah, the memories.

faberpach

I remember how excited I was when i first played DC on the demo both, there was a short demo of sonic adventure, one of army toys, and one of a boxing game that i can't remember that was awful but at that time it had the most amazing char models i had ever seen.

Also i remember that i couldn't belive how real tokyo midnight was...

And then i played Soul calibur and it was perfection...

bumpkin

I remember my first "OMG this is amazing!" moment was playing Soul Calibur, and my first "this is the best cheesy soundtrack ever" moment was Sonic Adventure. Beyond that, it was just a lot of smaller memories that were nevertheless fond. The irony is I had a lot of realizations after the Dreamcast died at Sega's own hand that there were certain games I always saw in stores that I wish I had bought. Now it's near impossible to find them for a reasonable price (MvC2, for example).

But nevertheless, the chickens is coming home to roost... 9-9-09. BELIEVE! :D

JaCy

I still remember the first time I played Sonic Adventure, it was at a demo at Toys'R'Us the summer before it released. My brother drove me there to get game I reserved and instead of picking it up and leaving I just ended up playing the demo for 45 minutes leaving my brother out in the heat. :lol

I will <3 it forever because it had Space Channel 5 and Jet Grind Radio.

Dabanton

There are way too many great gaming memories attached to it.

Getting my hands on Soul Calibur.

The time i went to my local games shop and saw that he had the imported Japanese version of JSR it was brought on the spot,i was supposed to go out that day but once i started playing it...lol i then decided to stay home that day.:lol

Shenmue 1& 2 a game series that still hasn't been topped in terms of scale and interactivity
I'll never forget the start of the Shenmue 2 second disc where Ryo arrives at the Chinese slums. The details were just astounding.

In fact the whole game series is full of genuinely jaw dropping moments.

SOA:Still one of my favorite RPG's full of so much charm and it was good to see a RPG without a moody androgynous lead just a sense of adventure. Who else remembers finally breaking through to the other side of the clouds with your ship.

Datrio

Haha, and I just got a Dreamcast!

(Too bad Dreamcast's birthday in Japan was a year ago)

Remember, just one year left!

DCX

DCX
Happy Birthday to one of the finest gaming systems to hit the market. True Arcade quality at home, online gaming and just unique games like Jet Set Radio, Seaman and Shenmue set this console apart from the rest.

DCX

pCeSlAyEr

Happy Birthday Dreamcast!!

I just picked up one of these badboys for $12 on friday and I think its time to bust out some Crazy Taxi!

minus_273

Banned
PseudoKirby said:
Dreamcast 2! BELIEVE 09/09/09!!

to be announced at this TGS D:

dreamcatsfa1.jpg

It's been released in Japan already..
09/09/09 Believe!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
First time I ever saw a DC in action - a friend had rented one from Hollywood Video, and he was playing some snowboarding game.

First impression - Jesus CHRIST that thing is loud. :lol

First "OMG AWESOME" moment - Orca chase on a Sonic Adventure demo. Freaking mind blowing at the time.

Most time spent on a game - probably playing PSO online. God, that game was great.

Other great moments that will stick with me forever:
- Playing Jet Set Radio. That game was just so amazing at the time, between the whole graffiti mechanic, art style, great music, etc.
- Seaman in general. I remember starting up the DC before school every day to feed that bastard. FUCK YOU SEAMAN I CAN'T TALK ABOUT MY FAVORITE COLOR NOW I HAVE TO GO TO CLASS. :lol
- Multiplayer Power Stone. The best SSB style game I've ever played outside of SSB, and better in some respects. Never got to play the sequel multiplayer, unfortunately...
- Playing Propeller Arena a couple of years ago and thinking about what a crying shame it was that the game wasn't released and I couldn't play online multiplayer.

I just bought a VGA cable last night. Soon, my DC shall ride again in 42" glory!

zsidane

I hooked it up today and I knew something was strange with the date when the console asked me to set it up. The funny part, I didn't realise it was launched in the US in 09/09/99, I thaught about 09/09/09 "Believe!"

My baby still alive and well
Photos-0006.jpg

totoro'd

Happy Birthday Dreamcast! Most memorable console ever for me. I skipped my classes that Friday morning to drive to Toys R Us early enough to buy one, and I picked up Sonic Adventure for me and NFL2K for my boyfriend. We played nonstop that entire weekend and I remember our jaws just dropping at the graphics (especially the replays in NFL2K) and the sheer speed of Sonic Adventure.

I'll never forget the time I spent playing PSO, Shenmue, Jet Grind Radio, RE:Code Veronica, Soul Calibur, Grandia 2, and Skies of Arcadia. And I still play it occasionally to this day (Napple Tale not long ago actually). Go Dreamcast!

xray49er

Happy birthday Dreamcast. I have fond memories of nfl2k nba 2k sonic adventure, ready to rumble and crazy taxi. but soul calibur, my god, i spent so much time with soul calibur. My cd drive eventually broke about a year into it and i never bought a new one i was stupid. I still have soul calibur but no dreamcast to play it on i will evetually buy another one. great system.

Birbo

The DC launch was just a magical time for me. I remember going into EB Games to pick up my preordered system, standing in line with a buncha other people that all had the same huge smile on their faces.

Some of my most memorable moments:

• Playing PSO with a friend until the sun came up. The next night I fell asleep with controller in hand playing I was so tired. I accidentally shut the power off midway through saving, wiping out my Level 33 character. I was so pissed. Built another one up to level 34, then got NOLED. Even more pissed at that.

• My now wife and I moved in together the same week Seaman got released. Remember playing one night as she made dinner when Seaman asked me "Are you in a relationship?" When I said yes, he replied "Are you cheating on her? I won't tell!" I wanted to say yes to see what would happen, but was worried he'd walk in and he'd stab me in the back. :)

• Not long after that, I gave a friend my DC to take care of Seaman when I went out of town for a week. I came back, all excited to see how much he'd progressed. When I asked my friend about it, he shrugged and said "I haven't fed him all week. Sure it's ok." Fired up the game only to hear Lenord Nemoy say "Your Seaman....is dead." My friend turned white and apologized over and over again. Still give him shit about it to this day.

• First time I played the demo of JGR from the Dreamcast magazine. That game just oozes style. Love the art and the music.

• Getting Skies of Arcadia for Christmas. First time I got into a ship battle with one of those huge elemental things. Remember thinking "I seriously have to fight one of those things?!" Such an awesome game.

• Playing 2 VS 2 CTF in Quake 3. My first of many online multiplayer FPS gaming.

• Alien Front Online with VOICECHAT!

• Not exclusive to the DC, but it was the first system I ever played Worms on. My friends and I were so hooked, we got together once a week for over a year and a half to play Worms over beers.

• On the down side of things, being so pissed when Half Life was canceled at the last minute. I was so looking forward to that game.

Thanks to the Bombcast, I hooked the the DC over the weekend to my LCD TV in the bedroom with my VGA adapter. Played a quick game of Crazy Taxi before work. Looked really good and was still fun to play. Did they ever release a soundtrack for it? Love to have all the music.

mollipen

First memory is a friend of a friend getting an import version. He brought it to one of our gatherings of some sort, and I was utterly amazed at how small (and heavy) it was. When you held it in your hands, you felt like you were holding this console of the future.

Short time later I imported my own with VF3 and Sega Rally 2. Having games like that at home was just mind-blowing, especially since we were coming off of the first real generation of home consoles doing 3D. What the Dreamcast was doing was just light years beyond the PS1, Saturn, or N64.

I remember getting my Interact (I think it was) VGA box, and hooking the console up to my nice Sony Trinitron monitor. Long before the days of true HDTV, I got a taste of just how beautiful games could look.

Phantasy Star Online. Ah, the memories. I'm not sure even WoW has caused me to lose as many hours as that game did. It was my first real taste of an online gaming community within a game, and the hours I spent running Ayu Landale through missions with people can never be counted. Deciding that I most favored the Partisans, finally getting a hold of the elusive Angel Wings mag, being annoyed by having to run those fuckings Caves yet again, it's utterly amazing to think back and realize just how much I got from that game from how little content there really was. (Playing WoW + BC expansion, I'm starting to feel like the world is a bit too small, but damn it's like eternity compared to the amount of areas in PSO.) I'm not sure if I'll ever be addicted to a game again like I was PSO... it was the right game at the right time.

The BBA. Man, how Sega of America royally screwed up the release of that thing in the US. You had to order it from them directly, and the botched the launch like nobody's business. I finally ended up getting mine (and still have it), and it make my PSO experience much better.

The VMU. The green Godzilla VMU was the very first piece of anything Dreamcast released, and I actually imported one. There wasn't much to do with it - especially since I knew nobody else who had one - but it was just this amazing little device that, again, felt like the future. I then remember when people started learning how to make your own VMU software: I made a little "application" called NekoKana where it would randomly show you a Japanese katakana character, and pushing any direction on the d-pad would then tell you what that character was. You could push the d-pad again to once again look at the character to help memorize it, or push like the A button to randomly bring up a new character. Even though I wasn't a programmer, here was something I had created running on a piece of gaming hardware - amazing.

The games, of course. Nevemind the big names, you had an amazing selection of some of the best all-time Capcom and SNK fighters (KOF '98, Last Blade 2, Mark of the Wolves, SFIII, Project Justice, MvC 2, Capcom v SNK, etc.), the first truly 3D Resident Evil, Mars Matrix (the shooter that actually made me like a shooter), Coaster Works, Metropolis Street Racer, Get Colonies, Chu Chu Rocket (aka the "make your friends hate you" game), and much more.

I've tried getting rid of my Dreamcast, but I just can't do it. Even though I've gotten rid of a few pieces - Ikaruga, one of my sets of maracas, my copy of Samba de Amigo - I've still got an insane amount of games, accessories, and whatnot for the console. Honestly, I don't know that I can ever get rid of it; I was a Sega person until the end of the Dreamcast, and being their final system (until next year, muuhahaha!), I just can't part with it. It was really the end of an era, and a damn fine effort to go out on.

USD

More like happy anniversary, the Dreamcast's real birthday isn't for another 2 months. But regardless, the Dreamcast was awesome. Crazy Taxi, Phantasy Star Online, Unreal Tournament, the 2K line, etc., all amazing.

VicViper

My Dreamcast wouldn't turn on at some point so following some curious advice, I put matchsticks inside the case and it worked! Anyone remember this?

zaidr

Mine is slowly dying. I'd like to take this opportunity to ask if someone knows why, for example, while playing crazy taxi 2, The environments don't load fast enough. I'm doing the challenges, and I hit an invisisble wall, and 2 seconds later, the wall shows up...anyone have a similar problem / know where to look for a fix?...or is it time to retire my old friend... :(

Gagaman

perfectchaos007 said:
So other than the 9/9/09 being the 10 year anniversary of the DC, any other reason why people believe in a Dreamcast 2 on that date?
They don't, it's just a daft meme that's gotten a little out of hand. :D

bumpkin

Struct09 said:
Best system that ever flopped <3
I think that distinction belongs to the GameCube...

220003b.jpg
220086b.jpg
220001b.jpg
220082b.jpg
220231b.jpg
220081b.jpg
1082359677-00.jpg

But the Dreamcast does rock and is a great system that had its cycle cut way too short. I've still got to track down a VGA adapter somewhere so I can hook it back up. Composite looks like ass an HDTV.

VicViper

zaidr said:
what is that, what did yo do?
I put wooden matchsticks into this specific part of the system mainboard to prevent random reboots. All I know is that it's a part of the internal power supply and the sticks fit in perfectly. I have a European launch unit, don't know if the problem was limited to them.

Anyways, my Dreamcast has been working fine ever since putting the sticks in there.

toneroni

awesome memories...
Have to pick up another one soon.

Best moments were:
MVC2
Those great NFL/NBA2Ks
PSO!!
Crazy Taxi

You are sorely missed little buddy.

mollipen

bumpkin said:
I think that distinction belongs to the GameCube...

Please. The decision comes down to the third party support, and I'd argue until the end of time that the DC's library of third-party titles was infinitely better than the GC.

Kosma

Banned
I played the Dreamcast at a friends house and thought he was stupid for trusting Sega again. I mean he also had a Saturn like me. That's my Dreamcast moment.

Seeegaaaaaaa

PS: I think he quit gaming when Sega died :_(

bumpkin

shidoshi said:
Please. The decision comes down to the third party support, and I'd argue until the end of time that the DC's library of third-party titles was infinitely better than the GC.
I'm not really basing my decision on third party support, but just more on the games I played on the system. By far, my GameCube saw much more playtime than my Dreamcast. Though had Sega not been d-bags and killed the DC, it's possible that may have been a different story... They did have really awesome third party support.

Guy Legend

The Dreamcast had more fun and awesome games packed in such a short time compared to any other console I can think of. I remember seeing how awesome the graphics looked compared to the old N64 and PS1 games at the time. It looked better than PS2 during the time they went head to head. Who knows how far the Dreamcast could have been pushed.

I remember the awesomeness of Shenmue 2, the return of Sonic in Sonic Adventure, countless playing of Crazy Taxi, Marvel vs Capcom 2, NHL 2k, Virtua Tennis, etc. Also the first console to take me online such (Quake, Unreal Tournament).

The Dreamcast is a legend, cut down before its prime. I feel sorry for those who didn't experience it.

Top Bottom