• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hardcore Gaming 101's Games of the Year

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Opinions, people have them.

Shocking, I know.

I still need to get around to playing Catherine. I got it for Christmas but have been busy with Ass Creed's multiplayer to start it or FFXIII. :/

Given all the praise for it I hope it's really good as people make it out to be, since I enjoyed the Intelligent Qube nature of the demo's gameplay.

GhaleonQ

Sketcz, I like you, but what are you doing? You picked oddballs, yes, but 2 of the most disappointing oddballs of this year. Then, you defended them with the, "But YOU wouldn't get it," defence.

Riposte

I'm disappointed the Catherine entry isn't two paragraphs explaining the depth and mind games of the multiplayer.

I wish Atlus put more effort into that to be honest. It's an awesome little thing as it is now, but you can definitely tell it was tacked on. I'd love a Catherine 2 where they put more love and care into it and take randomness out of it.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Glad to see someone picked Hard Corps Uprising

It's probably the 2011 game I spent the most time with as well.

Thread also reminded me to play SHinobi 3DS

cj_iwakura

I wish Atlus put more effort into that to be honest. It's an awesome little thing as it is now, but you can definitely tell it was tacked on. I'd love a Catherine 2 where they put more love and care into it and take randomness out of it.

I don't think Atlus ever expected the multiplayer to take off like it did.
Or at least in that way.

Kritz

Banned
I think you guys need to give someone some money until they make you an actual website. I don't know if 2012 is the year of white-on-black wordpress blogs or not, but man could it use some formatting or something.

IrishNinja

I'm disappointed the Catherine entry isn't two paragraphs explaining the depth and mind games of the multiplayer.

did multi really add to it? now i wish i wouldve tried that mode.

Glad to see someone picked Hard Corps Uprising

It's probably the 2011 game I spent the most time with as well.

Thread also reminded me to play SHinobi 3DS

and you've just named 2 titles i forgot about as well, gotta check both out now, thanks man.

TheSeks

Catherine has multiplayer? o_O

Also the site is completely fine, I love the retro early internet formatting of it. >_>

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Listing Alice, Yakuza 4, and Ghost Trick as honorable mentions after listing "worst game" sends bad signals.

Gray Matter was on sale and I almost got it, but I have a ton of adventure games now and it looked really lonely.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Surprised to see no Trails in the Sky... but nice to see Ys 1 and 2 Chronicles, Catherine, Hard Corps: Uprising and Ghost Trick.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Ahaha, liking DA2 is one thing, but to call it the best game of the year :lol

Ceebs

Interesting to see Gray Matter on there since a lot of sites, including GAF it seemed, put it on their lists for 2010 since it was released (in English) overseas. I put it as my "favorite game from 2010" in the current GAF game of the year thread but I think I'm going to go put it on my top ten list.

Yeah, I am pretty sure I picked it up in English from a German DD site in 2010.

mxgt

Banned
I did a double take when I saw DA2

then I smiled realising what most of the posts ITT would be about

eznark

Banned
I'm going to start a site just so I can start a GAF thread with my games of the year and make them all sports games. clix galore!

Lothars

I like the differences of the chosen games of the year, I still need to play Catherine but I am really glad to see Deus Ex get some loving.

This is not the first time I've seen Dragon Age 2 on game of the year lists, It was an okay game just not as good as the first one.

Zwei

cj iwakura

Catherine (PS3)
Catherine_Cover_Art.png

Runners-Up
Dark Souls(PS3), Hard Corps: Uprising (PS3)

Pre-2011 GOTY: Super Meat Boy (PC)

Worst game of 2011: The Cursed Crusade (PS3)

Honorable Mentions:
Alice: Madness Returns(PS3), Yakuza 4(PS3), Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective(DS), Corpse Party(PSP)

I don't like this guy's opinions.

j/k

LiK

And some of those opinions can be wildly fucking wrong.

Dragon Age II with Radiant Historia and Skyrim as "also rans".

From a blog called Hardcore gaming? Interesting troll...or the blog needs to change it's name.
their site is pretty well known. some really good articles on old games.

ctrayne

yo your website kinda sucks. also tell sketcz to not get so incredibly furious about ea robbing him of his precious realistic gun reloading.

I'm going to start a site just so I can start a GAF thread with my games of the year and make them all sports games. clix galore!

You guys are acting like a couple of dorks. Hardcore Gaming 101 is a very well-known and well-loved site with tons and tons of great info. I've been visiting it for ages. Try reading the actual site sometime, it's quite good.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
You guys are acting like a couple of dorks. Hardcore Gaming 101 is a very well-known and well-loved site with tons and tons of great info. I've been visiting it for ages. Try reading the actual site sometime, it's quite good.
For real, man. This...

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/megaten/megaten.htm

...got me nice and educated on a huge franchise that nobody here gave a shit about for over two decades, even after its "big hits" had come out. You won't find a resource like this in English anywhere else, and they have done similar for other things.

GhaleonQ

When your site becomes the best video game website on the internet (as Hardcore Gaming 101 is), go for it.

Please provide character capsule biographies for all of the Baseball Stars 2 cast, just to top them.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
And some of those opinions can be wildly fucking wrong.

Dragon Age II with Radiant Historia and Skyrim as "also rans".

From a blog called Hardcore gaming? Interesting troll...or the blog needs to change it's name.

Is it really so different from the preeminent videogame discussion community wishing death on people who rate games 8/10 and trumpeting certain NISA games as the best ever made?

Ahaha, liking DA2 is one thing, but to call it the best game of the year :lol

Sometimes when you like something that other people constantly tell you is trash, you overcompensate by liking it harder. I often experience the opposite, I think something is OK or good (SotC, Persona 3/4, Demon's/Dark Souls) that other people constantly rave about being the best game of all time, how every game should be like this, and how everyone who disagrees is a moron, at which point I start liking the games less and less. Not to be contrarian, but because you end up focusing on what you don't like the game when thinking about how these other people are lunatic fanboys.

My way of making a statement of "DA2 isn't as bad as most people who complain make it seem" was putting it at 8 or 9 in the GAF voting ahead of Deus Ex, a game that was number one on the list of many. Hell, part of me wanted to put in above the Witcher 2, but I couldn't be sure that was me or my reaction. I stand by it, because I simply had more fun playing DA2 and DA2 drew me in enough for me to want to play it and get through it within the first two weeks of its release. The first two months of me playing Deus Ex was me periodically poking at it, wondering why the hooks never sank in like I assumed they would. One of the worst feelings I have while gaming is the feeling that I'm playing something well made, but am thinking, "Well, this is a good place to stop" after every mission. To me, the best games, ones that you are willing to argue for, make you think "Just one more sequence" after each stopping point. Eventually, Skyrim was on the horizon and I just played through the rest of Deus Ex to get it out of the way.

cj_iwakura

Listing Alice, Yakuza 4, and Ghost Trick as honorable mentions after listing "worst game" sends bad signals.

Poorly worded on my part. Those were GOTY honorables for me.

Also, there was some miscommunication regarding the picks. There's going to be some revising in the near future. Apologies until then.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Pfft did you do any side quests? Shit mountain was shit.

DA2 over DX?!?!? Opinions. You have one. I have one too. DA2 sucked.

TheSeks

Thread's less about CJ and his(?) awesome Japanese game picks and more about shitting on Bioware. Yes, we know DA2 sucked. Yes someone liked it. Dealwithit.gif and talk about other shit, damn it.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Its not wrong to have an opinion. It is foolish however to think you will not be called out on it when you are putting it out there for consumption. Anytime someone shows bad taste it makes it easier to sift through what worth reading and what isnt. If Zagat started saying that the crappy, overpriced, double-cheeseburgers from Burger King were not only good and a great deal but the best food made all year, i would think differently of Zagat.

TheSeks

hardcoreanimegamebios-101.com

I'd rather have that over 20 replies and gifs about how much DA2 sucked. Because we didn't do enough of that in the demo and |OT| for it.

And I say that as a hater of DA2 and modern Bioware

Top Bottom