• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child story leaks out (Spoilers obviously)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have there been any examples of long-awaited returns to franchises that haven't sucked? All I can think of is Barbershop: The Next Cut haha

There were three of them within the last year.

Four if you want to count that Barbershop sequel you mentioned.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Have there been any examples of long-awaited returns to franchises that haven't sucked? All I can think of is Barbershop: The Next Cut haha

Star Wars
Fury Road
Jurassic World, even when I would disagree, but people love this movie.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Harry really does nothing of consequence, is a shit dad, and then watches his parents die.

Jesus Christ.

This plot is actually bonkers.

I assume that Voldemort's kid is going to be a recurring villain. Provided that Rowling carries on with the future stories rather than delving more into the lore and history.

Once the play is out and the script readable, I'll judge it for myself. We at the moment have a bonkers plot synopsis.

danm999

Why time travel? Why invert the existing rules?

I'll reserve judgment until I see the execution (or read it or whatever) but this concept sounds like hot fucking garbage.

Pluto

This isn't like a mirror universe episode, it's the same Cedric we knew from Goblet of Fire and Rowling telling us that manipulating the outcome of a tournament is enough to flip the switch in his brain that makes him join the wizard KKK and kill Neville. That doesn't make any sense for that character.
I doubt losing the tournament was the only reason, in that reality Voldemort won and Cedric was exposed to the propaganda, the violence etc., we didn't even really know him, he appeared in one book and was a nice kid, so what? Countless murderers, extremists and war criminals started out as nice kids, not all of them were Crabbe's and Goyle's, many were Cedric Diggories, that's why so many people who knew them before say things like "That's not the guy I grew up with", "That's not how we raised him!" or "I have no idea what could have happened that made him do this ..."

CassSept

Oh, a leak, neat?

tbh, i've written the same exact story 10 years ago on fanfiction.net. disastuh

I really want a Harry Potter anime now.

EVERYONE IS KINGDOM HEARTS / HARRY POTTER

It's cool that Rowling let Tetsuya Nomura write the play for her

Oh come one guys, it can't be that....

Yes, but it resolves it all by the end of the play. For example, Albus and Scorpius accidentally cause Ron and Hermione to never get together when they time travel, leading to Rose and Hugo not existing in the present. They then screw up further allowing Voldemort to win the war. But everything is set right by the end.

The only big retcon (and it's not really a retcon since it doesn't change something but adds something, I would say) is that Voldemort and Bellatrix had a daughter, Delphie.

Wait, what?

I gotcha.

/.../

TL;DR Out of spite, Harry's kid dicks around with time, ends up fighting Voldemort's kid who also wants to dick around with time. Harry watches his parents die.

Christ. OK, that's... totally not what I expected.

I appreciate she went full crazy but that's... too far, really. Like, I'll still buy the script book, but this sounds so bad on so many levels.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I can't decide whether or not the most confounding thing about this is that a) the time turner is actually brought back; or b) the death of Cedric Diggory is revisited. Like, you sit down to write the eight Harry Potter story and those are the two elements of the larger fiction you hang your hat on?

I'm sure it's all internally consistent and even very entertaining once everything's whirring along, but the inciting premise is insane.

Hopeford

I don't mind the idea of Voldemort having a daughter--what I don't like is that Voldemort's daughter is just a by-the-numbers villain. Would love to see a story where the protagonist was Voldemort's daughter desperately trying not to be a huge murderous psychopath in spite of her family history.

Kind of like I'm Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells but with Voldemort.

lewisgone

I don't mind the idea of Voldemort having a daughter--what I don't like is that Voldemort's daughter is just a by-the-numbers villain. Would love to see a story where the protagonist was Voldemort's daughter desperately trying not to be a huge murderous psychopath in spite of her family history.

Kind of like I'm Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells but with Voldemort.

Yeah I'm gonna wait till I see the play or read the book to fully judge her but she does sound just evil for the sake of it.

In the context of Harry Potter wizard names, Delphie is quite sweet-sounding. I wouldn't have expected Voldemort to name his daughter that.

The fact that Delphie is evil because she's Voldemort's daughter also goes against series theme of choice over origins. Unless the negative consequences of conception under a love potion affect the entire lineage.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The fact that Delphie is evil because she's Voldemort's daughter also goes against series theme of choice over origins. Unless the negative consequences of conception under a love potion affect the entire lineage.
So basicly she missed everything.
Smh, how could this happen?

Pooya

gawd, this is so bad. another time travel non sense is the best she could come up with for a sequel after this long? cmon.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Happy Father's Day, Tom.

HTvPgQw.jpg

MisterHero

To be fair maybe we don't get enough time travel movies with screwed up timelines.

This "leak" has like four or five.

I kind of liked how they really messed up Cedric when they tried to save him

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Re-reading the books in preparation for the script's release....

Got to this line in Order of the Phoenix, right before the Dumbledore v. Voldemort duel and could not stop laughing for about 5 minutes.

rXBp03j.png

He certainly did deal with her...

RyanW

So this is the equivalent to some of the crazy EU that Star Wars had, right? Because of so when will Disney buy the rights to HP and scrap it?

I'll still probably get the book though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom