• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town (GBA) rated by ESRB for Wii U VC in NA

A good try NoA, but I'll take Golden Sun 2 and Fire Emblem 8 please, thanks. NoE already done the work for you. Just pass 'em off to the ESRB and let me buy them.

So Natsume probably does retain the rights to older releases. A Wonderful Life and Magical Melody HD for Wii U next please!

This is considered the best one, right? I still haven't played a Harvest Moon game, but I want to.

Undeservedly so, yes. A New Beginning stomps all over it.

Koren

This is considered the best one, right?
It's one of the best ones, at least. After that, it depends to who you ask. Definitively in my top 3.

The ONLY think I'm not fond of is the way you unlock the additional cottages (not a major spoiler at all, but in any case:
100.000.000G for the town one, 50 years after marriage for the mountain one
...) I love Harvest Moon, but it takes far to long to unlock those.

This is considered the best one, right? I still haven't played a Harvest Moon game, but I want to.
Absolutely, FoMT was the pinnacle and it has all been downhill since then.

I have to say I'm concerned at just how bad it'll look when blown up to a 32" TV, but this certainly would be better than having to squint at my GB Micro screen to read the text.

finalflame

Gold Member
Back to Nature > FoMT.

But if you don't have a PS3 but have a WiiU this is great news. Hope they keep bringing more HM titles to the VC!

finalflame

Gold Member
There's quite a few Harvest Moons that easily outclass Back to Nature. FoMT being just one of them.

Opinions.

I think it's a close match with Magical Melody, but BtN still wins for me in terms of charm and nostalgia. FoMT certainly does not best it, in my book.

Mr. RPG

No, Harvest Moon 64 and the original are better. :p

And Back to Nature as well.

As far as I remember, Friends of Mineral Town was envisioned as a handheld version of Back to Nature and this game has a lot less features than Back to Nature. People loved Friends of Mineral Town because it was the first Harvest Moon handheld game that actually felt like a full-fledged Harvest Moon game.

As far as I remember, Friends of Mineral Town was envisioned as a handheld version of Back to Nature and this game has a lot less features than Back to Nature. People loved Friends of Mineral Town because it was the first Harvest Moon handheld game that actually felt like a full-fledged Harvest Moon game.

64 would be the GOAT if it didn't have such a horrible control scheme controlling with the 64 joystick. Also the days were incredibly short, it's nigh impossible to go back to if you've played BtN/FoMT.

Mr. RPG

64 would be the GOAT if it didn't have such a horrible control scheme controlling with the 64 joystick. Also the days were incredibly short, it's nigh impossible to go back to if you've played BtN/FoMT.

I had no problems with the controls, but the short days I can agree with. :p

It is still the most charming and fun Harvest Moon game to me. It's one of my favorite games of all time.

I loved Friends of Mineral Town, but if I really want the more complete version then I'll go Back to Nature.

Come on NOE, I'm dying here. T_T I desperately want Story of Seasons to come out and I'll buy ANB when I get a 3DS, but man oh man FOMT was the best game I ever played on my sp. Now if I get an AWL port (or HD remake, yes I know I'm dreaming) I can die happy. Playing on the PC with a 360 controller isn't the same.

maxcriden

Superb game and as far as my childhood zhM fandom goes, a superlative distillation of HM 64 and BTN. The only minor downside for me is that it loses a bit of the early 3D charm of those games, but that's a minor quibble really and the game is terrific on the whole.

Westraid

I don't have a Wii U, but I can really recommend this game.
I have it for the GBA and actually went back playing today. It's still my favourite out of the others I've played.

Come on NOE, I'm dying here. T_T I desperately want Story of Seasons to come out and I'll buy ANB when I get a 3DS, but man oh man FOMT was the best game I ever played on my sp. Now if I get an AWL port (or HD remake, yes I know I'm dreaming) I can die happy. Playing on the PC with a 360 controller isn't the same.
There don't seem to be too many A Wonderful Life fans. I absolutely adored it though. Dem emotions of watching residents of Forget Me Not Valley die off.

That may have been the first game I ever played with stuff like that in it.

Grief.exe

I'd just like to see Harvest Moon 64 released on the VC. The truly best best one.

How much of HM64 is pre-rendered? I'm just wondering how that game would upscale/render at 1080p.

Is the WiiU VC actually rendering these games at 1080p? Similar to PC emulation? Or just upscaling?

bomblord1

Banned
How much of HM64 is pre-rendered? I'm just wondering how that game would upscale/render at 1080p.

Is the WiiU VC actually rendering these games at 1080p? Similar to PC emulation? Or just upscaling?

The wiiU renders N64 games in 480p (which is actually double the systems res for most games) then upscales to your screen size.

H64 does not upscale well it's all pre-rendered

Tamanator

I've only ever play Harvest Moon: A New Beginning. Is it really worth delving into other titles in the series? I feel mechanic wise it will simply be more of the same, and hardly worth the time and effort. I mean, I enjoyed A New Beginning, but I feel that if I ever feel like playing a Harvest Moon title again I can just go back to that.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yet another reason not to buy modern Harvest Moon titles, the classics are still better.

I've only ever play Harvest Moon: A New Beginning. Is it really worth delving into other titles in the series? I feel mechanic wise it will simply be more of the same, and hardly worth the time and effort. I mean, I enjoyed A New Beginning, but I feel that if I ever feel like playing a Harvest Moon title again I can just go back to that.

Better performance and faster gameplay. I prefer sprites to 3D too. Each game has it's own sort of twists but yes a good chunk of the gameplay is more of the same.

There don't seem to be too many A Wonderful Life fans. I absolutely adored it though. Dem emotions of watching residents of Forget Me Not Valley die off.

That may have been the first game I ever played with stuff like that in it.

Yeah, us AWL are a small bunch on the internet it seems. :( But that was undoubtedly my favourite game when I was younger; watching people age and die, the seasons change, my kid grow...the ending hit me hard, especially because I played on the Gamecube with no afterlife mode. I got so invested in the characters and the town. Such a damn good game.

Top Bottom