• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PAL] Harvest Moon 64 coming to Virtual Console for the first time on Wii U this week

TheMoon

Harvest Moon 64 (Natsume Inc., N64 VC) - €9.99/£8.99
In Harvest Moon 64, you'll work hard to make a life for yourself on the run-down farm that you've inherited from your dearly departed grandfather. It will take careful planning and a lot of help from your neighbours to ride out the seasons and succeed as a gentleman farmer.

Wii U VC going out with a bang.

"How is a HM game 'going out with a bang?'" you ask?

Because they kept saying it wasn't possible and wouldn't happen. Also, it's the second N64 VC game that wasn't already on Wii VC before aside from DK64 and Excitebike 64.

edit: I wasn't even aware that this never came out in Europe so it's gonna be NTSC!
https://www.gamefaqs.com/n64/197528-harvest-moon-64/data

update: NA release confirmed for this week as well:
It's coming to NA later this week too according to CeeCee.

http://www.natsume.com/community/showthread.php?p=160863#post160863

Richie

Holy fuck, had lost all hope based on Natsume themselves calling it impossible. I've owned this cartridge for a couple years now and have yet to play; if it makes the Switch, I'm checking it out there day zero!

People are going to lose their minds over this.

Edit: Even if it hits the US, I'm going to wait until we see how good the emulation is, because Nintendo said it was impossible without major problems. And Natsume has been doing anything for the almighty dollar since Marvelous kicked them to the curb, so I'm wary.

2: Just had another thought on this subject. If this does come to NA within the next two weeks it is going to lower my already negative opinion on Natsume, the timing cannot be a coincidence. Just like World of Warcraft used to release major content patches in the same release window as other MMORPG launches. Snakey little trick to undercut competitor sales.

theaface

One region only, and in the Wii U's death rattle. Nintendo gonna Nintendo. I'm sure Jim Sterling is having a wry chuckle at this news.

Robin64

What's interesting is that injecting Harvest Moon 64 into the currently available Wii U VC emulator results in a complete mess, confirming what was previously said about this being "impossible" to get on Wii U. That means this had some real effort put into bringing it about, and for that I am super grateful.

One region only, and in the Wii U's death rattle. Nintendo gonna Nintendo. I'm sure Jim Sterling is having a wry chuckle at this news.

Every PAL VC thread on a Monday gets this. As always, PAL Downloads PR on Monday, US Downloads PR on Wednesday. It could be in the US one, so let's wait and see.

a) read thread title
b) it will come to the US too obviously

Ok smarty pants I did read the title, I see it's available in PAL, so I asked, is it also available in the US. I then went to look on Google, and saw that Natsume said that it simply would never come to the VC at all, so I assume no, it's not. It's also not obvious that it will come to the US, as we have no idea how or why it was able to suddenly come to VC at all after they said it was impossible, and who knows why it came to PAL first and not the US, maybe there's some rights bullshit that would prevent it. That's why I asked the question.

Disaster: Day of Crisis, a game published by Nintendo was released in Europe, obviously it'll come out in the US for Wii too, right?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I would have never expected a NEW Virtual Console game (i.e. one not already on Wii) to release on Wii U this late into the life of the console. It also reminds me that I have a ton of games (including Friends of Mineral Town) in my Wii U Virtual Console backlog. :/

Recall

What's the N64 emulation like on the Wii U? I've only bought GBA games on the Wii U and found them to be perfectly acceptable.

ramparter

Banned
Why would that somehow prevent it from being on the switch? It's a different submission process.

It won't prevent it.
However I'm assuming (hopefully I'll be proven wrong) that vc won't be on Switch launch and even if it does t will be a long time before we see titles like this. And based on that assumption I'm finding it weird Nintendo is still allocating software engineers on Wii U virtual console instead of having all of them 100% on Switch.

TheMoon

Not obviously at all.

The VC stores are not identical. Several titles stay as exclusive to regional stores.

Very obvious. It might take a long time but on Wii U VC they've caught up to one another in most cases. Especially with N64. There's no chance it's not coming to NA's VC.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
What's the N64 emulation like on the Wii U? I've only bought GBA games on the Wii U and found them to be perfectly acceptable.

IIRC, GBA is among the best on Wii U. I don't recall hearing good things about the N64 emulation, but I'm not sure what the actual issues were.

TheMoon

Do we have to do this every time? Nintendo of Europe announces their eShop line-up on Mondays. NA does it on Thursday morning. Every time the EU PR has a big VC announcements we go through the "fuck you NOA" song and dance only to see it in the PR on Thursday (or a week/month/ec later).

IIRC, GBA is among the best on Wii U. I don't recall hearing good things about the N64 emulation, but I'm not sure what the actual issues were.

N64 VC issues on Wii U: has darkness filter, can be counter-acted with contrast/brightness settings on TV, slight input lag

Eh, the only problem I have on Wii U vc stuff is everything is horribly dark. If you can deal with it on the GBA games, you're probably fine with it on the n64 games, so they'll be good enough for you?

TheMoon

Eh, the only problem I have on Wii U vc stuff is everything is horribly dark. If you can deal with it on the GBA games, you're probably fine with it on the n64 games, so they'll be good enough for you?

This. It's noteworthy that Wii U's N64 VC supports rumble, something not supported in Wii's N64 VC.

oni-link

I take it we still don't know if our Wii U VC games will carry over to the Switch?

I mean, I'm not expecting them too, but it would be nice to know for sure so I can extinguish the last tiny speck of hope I have

TheMoon

Is there a page somewhere besides that one post or am I totally missing something?

What else do you need? This is NintenDaan who posts the same PR from NOE on GoNintendo every week.

I take it we still don't know if our Wii U VC games will carry over to the Switch?

I mean, I'm not expecting them too, but it would be nice to know for sure so I can extinguish the last tiny speck of hope I have

Of course they'll carry over. The only question is if there will be an upgrade fee (and what that will be) or if it will be completely free this time, the latter being unlikely but not entirely impossible.

It won't prevent it.
However I'm assuming (hopefully I'll be proven wrong) that vc won't be on Switch launch and even if it does t will be a long time before we see titles like this. And based on that assumption I'm finding it weird Nintendo is still allocating software engineers on Wii U virtual console instead of having all of them 100% on Switch.

Well you know what they say about assuming!

It means you neglect to think about how there's more than one team dedicated to Virtual Console work and that even though the Wii U is being phased out there's probably a lot of VC games that have been sitting that they can make money on, which is why we continue seeing such games on the platform.

batfax

What else do you need? This is NintenDaan who posts the same PR from NOE on GoNintendo every week.

Of course they'll carry over. The only question is if there will be an upgrade fee (and what that will be) or if it will be completely free this time, the latter being unlikely but not entirely impossible.

I was unaware DKoops was Nintendaan, so to me it just looked like any other post.

TheMoon

I was unaware DKoops was Nintendaan, so to me it just looked like any other post.

Fair enough. Still, we get the NOE PR in the Downloads thread every Monday. No reason to question anything in there, really (for future reference), since it comes straight from the horses mouth.

Recall

Of course?

Unless you work for Nintendo you need to chill on this whole "it's obvious/of course they will" bullshit.

Nothing is obvious, you had no idea this title was coming out until the surprise announcement, stop this "I know best" attitude. Assumption isn't the same as concrete fact. You can guess but you have zero idea for sure. Zero.

TheMoon

Of course?

Unless you work for Nintendo you need to chill on this whole "it's obvious/of course they will" bullshit.

Nothing is obvious, you had no idea this title was coming out until the surprise announcement, stop this "I know best" attitude. Assumption isn't the same as concrete fact. You can guess but you have zero idea for sure. Zero.

But ... it is :D

Nothing indicates otherwise. :) That is what I'm basing my "bullshit" on. History + recent comments from Nintendo regarding this topic.

theaface

Do we have to do this every time? Nintendo of Europe announces their eShop line-up on Mondays. NA does it on Thursday morning. Every time the EU PR has a big VC announcements we go through the "fuck you NOA" song and dance only to see it in the PR on Thursday (or a week/month/ec later).

Perhaps it will, I don't know. I'm in the PAL region myself so it wasn't me complaining personally.

Regardless of the region issue/non-issue, there's still plenty to criticize in terms of how Nintendo chooses to support, or indeed not support the VC until the console's end of life. The slow drip drip drip of much loved and oft-requested games which people are clamoring to spend their money on is maddening.

TheMoon

Perhaps it will, I don't know. I'm in the PAL region myself so it wasn't me complaining personally.

Regardless of the region issue/non-issue, there's still plenty to criticize in terms of how Nintendo chooses to support, or indeed not support the VC until the console's end of life. The slow drip drip drip of much loved and oft-requested games which people are clamoring to spend their money on is maddening.

Sure but that's a topic in itself. This one's about 64bit crops :)

oni-link

I think this is a tad optimistic, but the fact we're weeks away from launch and know nothing about how the VC will work on the Switch doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence

Which one is the best Harvest Moon? I only played Back to Nature and that was so good

This (HM64) is the game that everyone thinks is the best. I really hope for their sakes that it isn't just nostalgia talking. My favorite is Magical Melody. If you liked Back to Nature you should probably check out Friends of Mineral Town or More Friends of Mineral Town.

Would have been such a great game to have at Switch VC launch, an exclusive never before re-released beloved classic!

But ok release it on Wii U now of all times. :| Not like, a year or more ago.

Between this and Ogre Battle 64 last week I'm starting to think Nintendo are gonna release that Mother 3.... on Wii U.... the week after Switch comes out.

TheMoon

I think this is a tad optimistic, but the fact we're weeks away from launch and know nothing about how the VC will work on the Switch doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence

As I said above, nothing indicates otherwise. Either their own comments on the issue nor history. So there is non reason to assume they won't in some way. That's not optimism, just basing speculation on facts.

Mafro

I really wanted Harvest Moon 64 back in the day but never got it since it was never released in Europe. I don't really want to buy it now on what's essentially a dead console (that I'm letting a friend borrow so she can buy and play Zelda), but I also don't want to wait the inevitable four years or whatever it takes for it to come out on the Switch VC thanks to Nintendo's usual slow trickle of releases for that service.

I still don't think it's going to be there at launch. It wasn't there for the 3DS or Wii U launches and I'm expecting no different here, especially by how little Nintendo have actually talked about it.

Top Bottom