• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harvey Relief Done Quick - Sep 1-3 |OT| Fast like Harvey Daylightsoon (I tried)

hrdqbanner.png

important-links_zpsydqtdyg2.png

hrdq-what-is-hrdq_zps8fumsfbf.png

Harvey Relief Done Quick (#HRDQ2017) is a special one-off video game speedrunning marathon streamed live on Twitch, with donations going directly to the Houston Food Bank - no middleman! The event features high-level play by speedrunners, playing games as quickly as possible.​

hrdq-houston-food-bank_zps8zeejnye.png

The Houston Food Bank is America’s largest food bank in distribution to its network of 600 hunger relief charities in 18 southeast Texas counties. Named top charity in Texas by Charity Navigator for financial performance and accountability, the Houston Food Bank provides 83 million nutritious meals to food pantries, soup kitchens, senior centers and other agencies, feeding 800,000 people each year. Fresh produce, meat and nonperishables are distributed from the warehouse, and hot meals are prepared and distributed from the new Keegan Kitchen, a 10,000 square foot, state-of-the-art industrial kitchen.

For Harvey Relief: The Houston Food Bank will provide food and supplies in the short term and for many months to come to residents in southeast Texas who will struggle to rebuild their lives. The Food Bank will work closely with their network of partner agencies to ensure food is getting to those who need it most. They also find ways to connect offers of help with those who are providing help.​

games_zpsnzchnium.png

There are 45 games over an approximately 48 hour period. Games range from the well known, such as Zelda: A Link to the Past and Super Metroid, to the random such as TAIKER and Densha De D: Lightning Stage.​
You can view a full list of the games being run below. The list shows everything including expected time for the run, and updates throughout the week to account for any problems during the event. Please note that all times shown are in your local timezone.​

hrdq-watching-hrdq_zpsbnilkj4t.png

The entire event will be streamed live on Twitch for your viewing pleasure. You'll be able to watch on any device that supports Twitch, so most mobile phones and tablets, PS4, XBox One, PC and even some TVs. Simply head to https://gamesdonequick.com, http://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick, or click the image below!​

There have been reports of frame hiccups whilst watching due to the fast moving nature of the default GDQ chat. If this is affecting you, you can either join GAF Chat (instructions are further down the OP) or you can watch just the video with no chat by going to
https://player.twitch.tv/?channel=gamesdonequick

how-do-i-donate_zps2hiplbte.png

First off, it's great that you want to donate! You're awesome! All donations made during HRDQ go directly to Houston Food Bank, and all you need to do is head to the donate link below to make that donation.

IMPORTANT: Use only the donation link on GamesDoneQuick.com. Subscriptions and Bits on the Twitch end will end up going towards AGDQ2018 rather than the Houston Food Bank.​

watching-previous-runs_zpsgeke6wsh.png

If you've missed any of the runs so far, or just want to go back and watch a run again, view them with the link below!

gaf-chat_zpsas69yzcg.png

Marathon chats are unfortunately notoriously spammy (especially GDQ), making it extremely difficult to interact in any meaningful way. As such, we have our own dedicated Twitch GAF channel on Discord that we used for SGDQ & ESA, and will for HRDQ.​
In order to join the Discord, simply quote this post to reveal a link - click the link and come join us!​
Twitch GAF Discord ->

Credit to LordAlu for all of the above and Falk for the thread title! I did pretty much none of the work.​

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I'll be there and chiping in as I can. SGDQ and AGDQ are yearly mandatory viewings for me and this impromptu event hits especially close to home. Great to see them doing this.

EDIT: Preserving the original content of the first post here.

After a short period of determining whether the idea was viable, it seems the people behind Games Done Quick are moving ahead with a mini-GDQ this weekend to benefit the victims of Hurricane Harvey.

Tbvenvw.png

Harvey Relief Done Quick announced to benefit the Houston Food Bank.

DNrl8Mu.png

The event will happen this Friday 8 PM EDT through Sunday 8 PM EDT. Run submissions are now live and will be processed immediately. All runs will be done using each individual streamer's own equipment, streaming directly to GDQ's own ingest server to be restreamed.

Games Done Quick normally runs two marathon charity streams a year, Awesome Games Done Quick and Summer Games Done Quick. Summer Games Done Quick 2017 wrapped on July 9, raising over $1,760,400 for Doctors Without Borders.

I asked via Twitter why this did not extend into Monday (which is Labor Day, a holiday in the US) but it seems they have people outside the US working on this and they weren't able to commit the time to run this outside of the given hours.

The timing of this is rather unfortunate as PAX West and several smaller gaming events are also happening this weekend. One would hope that Twitch would boost the presence of this in their physical booth, so maybe that won't be such a bad thing...

It's cool to see the community come together and pull something like this off in such a short time. Can't wait to watch/support.

Baliis

I hope smrpg low level makes it in even though it is a 12+ hour run with the potential to be a lot longer

I saw iateyourpie saying he was gonna submit it so I hope it gets in too, it's always a great laugh and left/center/right for donations works great. Is super long yea, but could be a good overnight run or an extra at the end or something

LordAlu

So all runs will be done remotely? Either way, this is awesome to see.
Yes, it will be an online marathon where runners will stream to a RTMP server and that will then go up on the GDQ Twitch channel. They're still talking with charities as of 5 hours ago, and in the process of updating the website for this event.

Minions

Amazing, glad they are doing this. Both because I love speed runs, and because I have friends and family affected by the flooding (luckily I evaded any large issues assuming my storage unit didn't flood)

Mupod

I never have time for GDQ during weekdays anymore and stuff I want to watch is almost never on weekends during recent ones. So a smaller weekend one sounds like fun. Great list there so far too, will try and tune in for Carcinogen RE at least.

Nairume

Banned
It still seems a tad early for BotW and a six hour Chrono Trigger run pushing the RE1vsRE2 race into the early early morning is lame, but that is a fantastic schedule otherwise.

Top Bottom