• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Games Done Quick 2017 | July 2 - July 9 | Shout outs to...

I'm biased but the Onimusha run with Bowie doing voice work for Guildenstern was amazing.

Yeah, Bowie is great, always love his commentary.

Saw a highlight video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fsu4miYMWo) for the Mirrors Edge run, the guy definitely overdoes the joke but it's clearly a joke and it was initially pretty funny until he ran it into the grounds.

I think people are just desparate for there to be drama when there isn't any.

Stoze

Some of my favorite runs off the top of my head:

LTTP Swordless
Halo 1
I Am Bread
Jedi Knight 2
Super Panga World
ME Catalyst
Dark Souls
Dishonored 2
Banjo Kazooie
Bionic Commando Rearmed
Hollow Knight (only if you've beaten it)
Mario Relay
Tetris stuff is great as usual.

My only disappointment was actually Specter Knight, which I was really looking forward to. If they are going to have devs on the call, then hammer out the audio quality, connection issues, Skype and stream delay beforehand as much as possible. I had to bail out early because that stuff is way too distracting. I'll check it again muted or skip ahead.

Onimusha is exactly the sort of run I relish at GDQ. It's a game I would never think of being a viable option for a runner, and the commentary is interesting and sheds light into how a runner sees a game. On the other hand, I can't get excited about the 300th Zelda / Metroid / Mario run.

venomenon

Still catching up on some stuff I missed, but some of my favourite runs this year would be:
Freedom Planet (best commentary)
I Am Bread
Brothers
Half-Life 1
VVVVVV race
Mega Man X2 race
Plok
LTTP swordless (Patty is hilarious, chemistry between couch, runner and host was great)
Super Mario Series relay race
Final Fantasy VII (missed the first 2 hours though)
Dark Souls III
Super Panga World

Maybe GDQ does things different now, but it certainly sounds like they would let pretty much anyone onto the couch in previous years.....at least for the low-viewer late night runs.
I used to lurk a bit in the SDA subforum for GDQ (they do some organisational stuff there) and I remember it was clearly stated that the runner has the last word on who's allowed on the couch. Might not have been a rule back then, of course.

Was Blechy anywhere this time ?

Didn't saw him anywhere and I love his speedruns and he does great commentary to EVERYTHING
No, he stated on Twitter that he doesn't attend the summer marathons.
But yeah, his commentary is the greatest. Super professional guy.

Platy

Was Blechy anywhere this time ?

Didn't saw him anywhere and I love his speedruns and he does great commentary to EVERYTHING

ckohler

Saw a highlight video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fsu4miYMWo) for the Mirrors Edge run, the guy definitely overdoes the joke but it's clearly a joke and it was initially pretty funny until he ran it into the grounds.

I think people are just desparate for there to be drama when there isn't any.

DrTChops (the guy on the couch) has a very dry sense of humor. He's not trolling. His run of Skyrim last year was awesome. If you go back and watch it you'll see this is just how he talks. I wouldn't blame people for misunderstanding his demeanor as it comes off spiteful on the surface but I think he is just trying to be funny.

linko9

Just watched the Knytt Stories run, which I'd never heard of before. The Ori devs definitely played the hell out of this. I'm actually shocked how many mechanics were lifted wholesale from this game. With better art this would be a cult classic!

"Just watched the Knytt Stories run, which I'd never heard of before. The Ori devs definitely played the hell out of this. I'm actually shocked how many mechanics were lifted wholesale from this game. With better art this would be a cult classic!"

Knytt and Knytt Stories are already cult classics. They were easily some of the most well-known indie games before the big indie game boom.

Just watch Zoast's WR run instead. The category is really impressive, but since it wasn't a race, and there was no useful commentary, there's no benefit to watching the SGDQ run.

Worth it for the animals dying alone. First time in a couple years wasn't it?

Tunahead

Just watched the Knytt Stories run, which I'd never heard of before. The Ori devs definitely played the hell out of this. I'm actually shocked how many mechanics were lifted wholesale from this game. With better art this would be a cult classic!

Knytt and Knytt Stories are already cult classics. They were easily some of the most well-known indie games before the big indie game boom.

Yeah, most of Nifflas' early freeware stuff is extremely legit. Knytt, Knytt Stories and Within A Deep Forest all hold up well. Knytt Stories comes with I think about 4ish campaigns and you can make your own. There are some fun user made ones.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Catching up with some VoDs and I somewhat miss the chance to marathon these events with the players nowadays outside of a sporadic hour in the evening given the chance. I'm a long way from the path of the student life where I was able to manage studies & simultaneously watch the 2011-2013 marathons with sleep deprivation as my sole enemy. Let alone having the guts to take a week off from work for the 2014 marathons. My wife will never let me live that year down but I don't regret it. That was the best year.

Really enjoyed Super Panga World, Super Mario Series Relay, Link to the Past, FF7, Firemen, and Ys Origin runs. Heard good things about KH2, Luigi's Mansion, and Twilight Princess HD so I'll definitely check them out over the next few days along with everything else steadily over the coming weeks.

I've always enjoyed SGDQ a bit more for its variety and relaxed approach as it still reminds me of the early years of GDQ, along with the RPG Limit Break marathon which is slowly gathering more steam as well. No matter the event or awkward moments, I think it's a good reminder to reflect on the fact that these people are spending their personal time & money to break games as quickly as possible for a good cause in front of thousands. Balls of steel. Gotta go fast.

I really loved the fact that people didn't know the Mirrors Edge runner (BlackbeltGingaNinja) and couch guy (DrTChops) are friends and the whole "Is that a glitch?" is just a meme from the runners twitch chat..

Was fun seeing people get pissed off at couch guy. Loved all the comments on Gaf and all the videos out on youtube over it without people even having a clue.

Shit, this deserves its own thread! Good on them for doing what they can. It almost feels bad to look forward to this, considering the cause. But then again it's all for the cause, so excitement shall commence.

This absolutely should be a new thread. Unless someone else wants to make one, I'll try to summarize all the available info on this real quick.

LordAlu

This absolutely should be a new thread. Unless someone else wants to make one, I'll try to summarize all the available info on this real quick.
I'll probably make an OT on the day, but I haven't had the chance to make anything for this announcement so go ahead! Looks like submissions are up now and will be for 24 hours. :)

Top Bottom