• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Games Done Quick 2016 OT | July 3rd - July 10th | Gotta go fast!

This was a really, really good GDQ and I'm very sad to see it go. My personal favs were (in no particular order) Bioshock, Dishonored, blindfolded Symphony of the Night, Silent Hill 3/Resident Evil 2 (Let'sa go), Deus Ex, Jak and Daxter (by far my favorite, this run seriously blew me away and I still find myself cracking up randomly several times a day thinking about it), the entire Bethesda block, Two Worlds, Ocarina of Time, Diablo 2, and the Super Metroid race. There are still so many runs I have to go back and see because I was asleep or out of the house, and I also want to rewatch almost every one that I saw.

It's probably impossible, but I really hope someday they can start putting these out on blu-ray or something. I would totally be down to buy the full box set twice a year.

Baleoce

Very entertaining 4 way Super Metroid run as usual. Reminds me of the incredible finish from the 2014 race where 3 of them finished in under forty-six minutes, and the first two were less than a split second in difference and side by side throughout the whole of the final boss.

My top 30 runs are(In no order):

• Castlevania: Symphony of the Night(Blindfold)
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze 4 player race
  • Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
  • Catherine
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Jak & Daxter
  • Spyro: Year of the Dragon
  • Pepsiman
  • BioShock
  • Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
  • Final Doom: The Plutonia Experiment
  • Deus Ex
  • Tetris: The Grand Master Series Exhibition
  • The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  • Two Worlds
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim(Glitch exhibition)
  • The Witness
  • Super Mario World(LOW%)
  • Super Mario Maker
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time(Glitch Exhibition)
  • Trauma Center Second Opinion
  • Aladdin 3 player race
  • TASBot plays Super Mario Bros. 1, 2 + 3
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Mario 64 70 Star 4 player race
  • Quakshot
  • Guacamelee: Gold Edition
  • The Little Mermaid
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
It was damn hard to do this list because there are so many nice/funny runs sprinkled throughout but I feel those are all must sees.

What's ESA and when is Evo?

Here you go. Evo starts July 15.

laxu

Ok I don't know if this was already discussed, but what the hell is going on with the Twitch comments during this? People become like complete idiots and just spam it full of something that was either said by a commentator or something barely relevant to the game. Why would anyone want to contribute what is essentially just noise?

Ok I don't know if this was already discussed, but what the hell is going on with the Twitch comments during this? People become like complete idiots and just spam it full of something that was either said by a commentator or something barely relevant to the game. Why would anyone want to contribute what is essentially just noise?

It's always been like that. Sometimes there is good to be found in the mess that is the chat itself but it is what it is.

Asbel

My top 30 runs are(In no order):

• Castlevania: Symphony of the Night(Blindfold)
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze 4 player race
  • Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
  • Catherine
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Jak & Daxter
  • Spyro: Year of the Dragon
  • Pepsiman
  • BioShock
  • Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
  • Final Doom: The Plutonia Experiment
  • Deus Ex
  • Tetris: The Grand Master Series Exhibition
  • The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  • Two Worlds
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim(Glitch exhibition)
  • The Witness
  • Super Mario World(LOW%)
  • Super Mario Maker
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time(Glitch Exhibition)
  • Trauma Center Second Opinion
  • Aladdin 3 player race
  • TASBot plays Super Mario Bros. 1, 2 + 3
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Mario 64 70 Star 4 player race
  • Quakshot
  • Guacamelee: Gold Edition
  • The Little Mermaid
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
It was damn hard to do this list because there are so many nice/funny runs sprinkled throughout but I feel those are all must sees.

Here you go. Evo starts July 15.

Thanks. Gonna check them out and your list.

Weetrick

Slow Sunday for me.
Anything I should watch? Haven't been following closely this year.

Still haven't seen all that I want to see, but here are my favorites so far:

Super Mario Maker
Super Metroid
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Catherine

My favorite so far was Momodora. Game looks really good and the runner is an amazing person.

Luigi87

Just watched the VoD of the Super Mario 64 race.
Great run by puncay.

Biinny, damn, he had second place dead to rights, but couldn't land those Bowser throws.

BigAT

Just watched the VoD of the Super Mario 64 race.
Great run by puncay.

Biinny, damn, he had second place dead to rights, but couldn't land those Bowser throws.

It's at least reassuring to know that even speedrunners can suck at those throws as much as I do.

Speevy

Banned
I'm confused about watching finished runs. I clicked the spreadsheet. Where are the actual links to the old runs?

I know I'm gonna feel stupid when someone answers this.

LordAlu

Oh nice! ESA is going to be speedrunning Beyond Oasis.

Still can't believe that game has never made an GDQ appearance.
I started learning that game, it's pretty great. Only made it to the cave about 1/4 of the way through before stopping.

Man, I start learning a lot of games and never damn finish them. :(

I'm confused about watching finished runs. I clicked the spreadsheet. Where are the actual links to the old runs?

I know I'm gonna feel stupid when someone answers this.
This spreadsheet? The videos are in the last column - it goes Game -> Runner(s) -> Twitch Accounts -> Twitter Accounts -> Time & Category played -> Video.

Any world records this marathon? I think there has been at least one in each of the last three events, so I'm wondering if this SGDQ continued the trend.

Platy

Any world records this marathon? I think there has been at least one in each of the last three events, so I'm wondering if this SGDQ continued the trend.

Kirby GBA coop and theoricaly Mario 3 TAS

Braid had a weird one ... like in game it was not but real time was.

Crayolan

I don't remember which game it was, but there was a short run where the game froze halfway through, but they let the guy restart and the 2nd attempt was a WR.

Chris R

Watched some VODs today.

Extremely disappointed with FAST Racing NEO :(

Link's Awaking is great (only 5 dungeons in so far)

The Witness was insane and I can't wait to see Jak & Daxter at some point this week.

KevinCow

Banned
Does anyone have a link to the Super Mario World low % run? I tried watching it on GDQ's Youtube channel but the audio lag made it absolutely unwatchable.

Also I just finished watching the Jak & Daxter run and that was hilarious.

FDBK

Really glad to see Zelda: A Link Between Worlds at SGDQ 2016. One of my favorite 3DS games, and it seems like it is picking up in the GDQs. Would love to see this game speedrun more and in many more streamed speedrun events like GDQ going forward, especially as a highlight event where SM64 would usually be. ALBW has the potential I think.

Finalow

both races of DKC Tropical Freeze and Super Metroid are a must watch. Castlevania SotN blindfolded and Catherine runs were quite impressive as well.
not many people added to their ''best runs'' list Demon's Souls but the run itself was really good even if you're not that much interested into the game.

Patryn

Watching the Jak and Daxter run with my wife was an interesting experience. At first I was disappointed because it was a game and a run my wife was looking forward to, and I felt like Bonesaw was trying way too hard to be funny.

Then you began to realize that he wasn't trying too hard, he was just deliriously tired with practically no filter and just spewing stream of consciousness and the audience began trolling him and he was just so confused and it became this hilarious mess.

laxu

Pepsiman made me re-evaluate my life choices.

Pepsiman made me want more completely bonkers license games. It was probably my favorite run in the whole week because it had it all - absurd game, great commentary and really well played. Oh and a dude in a Pepsiman suit.

jediyoshi

Chat stats - http://nimos.ws/sgdqstats/

'//' came up more than the word 'the'

//

Platy

So youtube copyrighted the audio from the Pikmin run .... so I went to the youtube comments to see if there was any twitch link there and ...

DEAR GOD THE HATE ON THE COMMENTS =|

Also when I got the link thinking I already lost faith in humanity, Twich saves the chat from the run they achieved and DEAR GOD that was probably the worst 3 seconds of chat I ever had to look before making it invisible =|

So youtube copyrighted the audio from the Pikmin run .... so I went to the youtube comments to see if there was any twitch link there and ...

DEAR GOD THE HATE ON THE COMMENTS =|

Also when I got the link thinking I already lost faith in humanity, Twich saves the chat from the run they achieved and DEAR GOD that was probably the worst 3 seconds of chat I ever had to look before making it invisible =|

I missed that run. What made the commenters upset this time?

Platy

Yeah, that sounds like a recipe for Twitch disaster. Pretty much exactly why I avoided regular chat.

Even just one of the parts would make a disaster ... hell even some black male runners have this.

Makes me appreciate the works of people like Emily Brooks (the pikmin runner), Irisjoker (Trauma Center), ProtoMagicalGirl (Mario Land, Ninja Gaiden Shadow, Bubble Ghost and Kirby), Fladervy (Freedom Planet) and YellowKillerBee (Quackshot) even more !
And those are the ones that I have from memory from watching live this SGDQ...

This event should be a celebration of the great things about videogames !
Gamers togheter by their love of running games as fast as possible !
It should not be a white male festival =/

In case anyone else is interested, I compared oatsngoats's world record run vs the 4-way race run using the beginning of the mother brain 2 fight as a comparison and he was almost exactly 1 minute behind the world record pace.

low-G

In case anyone else is interested, I compared oatsngoats's world record run vs the 4-way race run using the beginning of the mother brain 2 fight as a comparison and he was almost exactly 1 minute behind the world record pace.

I was mildly curious but based on him being at mother brain at 39 I figured it wasn't world record pace. Thanks for confirming.

Top Bottom