• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has a Nintendo game's storyline ever made you feel anything?

rosalinastorybook8-1.png

Crom

In almost three decades of playing Nintendo games I can't think of a single game that moved me emotionally (unless you count Other M making me feel extreme rage ).

Maybe I'm an outlier, but from my experience Nintendo has never been about emotional investment beyond nostalgia.

Majora's Mask. You felt the desperation of the NPCs as the moon was about to crash down. Really did a good job of making you feel it.

EdgeXL

The Zelda games... Link's Awakening was the first to make me feel emotionally moved. Majora's Mask was another that kicked me in the feels. EarthBound, of course. The Mario games are good at making me smile and feel good.

The Metroid games have made me feel suspense, particularly Metroid Fusion and even the end of that made me smile a bit too.

Tuck

Twice.

Fighting Red at the end of Pokemon Gold - no words were spoken and yet I felt something. The setting (he was all alone at the top of a mountain) really helped.

Wind Waker - specifically Ganon talking about his jealousy of Hyrule at the end. In such a short speech, ti completely humanized his character.

So, not the whole story of each game, but specific moments.

EDIT: Majora's Mask had some great moments as well.

EDIT2: In terms of humor, Paper Mario TYD, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga and Kid Icarus Uprising.

Crayolan

What a weird thread. I assume you mean something along the lines of "feel sad" or "feel emotionally attached" because it should be obvious that a lot of people feel joy playing Nintendo games, otherwise they wouldn't have as many fans as they do. Even then, this is still a weird question unless you're the type of person who thinks Nintendo only makes Mario and Pokemon games. Some Nintendo games focus entirely on gameplay with little to no story elements, and some have more in-depth stories and characters. If you want to play something out of the latter group, try something like Xenoblade Chronicles or Mother 3.

casiopao

.....all this xenoblade mention and no one remember Pandora's Tower makes me sad.

Also,kirby filled my heart with tons of happiness lol.

Servbot24

Banned
Majora's Mask impacted me more than almost any other game.

Others that had excellent story...

Ocarina of Time
Wind Waker
Metroid Prime
Thousand Year Door
Pikmin 2 (didn't play the first one so not sure how the impact would have changed)
Animal Crossing

Those are the ones that spring to mind. Keep in mind that story is much more than plot. Plot is just construction. Story is much more meaningful. For example the games above have much stronger story to me than Fire Emblem or some plot-based games like that.

Haven't played any Earthbound games but I really need to. I'm only 10 hours into Breath of the Wild but it seems to have potential.

EhoaVash

The zelda games ending usually get to me.

Skyward sword - ending made me wish I didn't finish the game. Since i fell in love with these characters and I wanted to see them interact more with each other
hqdefault.jpg

<3

also twilight princess, Midna is such a tease :3
hqdefault.jpg

and OoT
ocarina-of-time-3d-saria.jpg

knowing that saria is gone from the world to become a sage :(

thses zelda games always manage to hit a emotional spot for me op

Also after beating them. It makes me depressed that I won't be able to play another another big 3d zelda for another 5 years :(

Elite Beat Agents

"You're The Inspiration"

Manly tears.

Not so manly tears

Also Majora's Mask, Link's Awakening, Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars, and Super Paper Mario, off the top of my head.

In almost three decades of playing Nintendo games I can't think of a single game that moved me emotionally (unless you count Other M making me feel extreme rage ).

Maybe I'm an outlier, but from my experience Nintendo has never been about emotional investment beyond nostalgia.

No, but that's not what I look for when playing Nintendo games or any video game for that matter. Challenge and creativity are what I seek there, not a lullabye.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Mother 3 is the best video game story I have ever experienced, its not the only Nintendo game I felt something with, its just the strongest, out of every video game really

Fou-Lu

Mother series
Xenoblade
Paper Mario series
Most Zelda games (especially MM and Link's Awakening)
Fire Emblem
Pikmin
Mario RPG
Golden Sun

Probably more Nintendo franchises have made me emotional than any other singular developer, the only other big competition being Square.

I'd also like to know which games it's implied that I'm """supposed""" to be having an emotional reaction to since Nintendo games just clearly aren't capable of plumbing such great emotional depths as whatever those games might be

casiopao

Osu tatakae Oendan 1 and 2 for all that tear jerking songs.

Or Elite Beat Agents for that Christmas stages.....dammit i am crying again.

ryseing

Fire Emblem 7. I grew quite attached to the cast, particularly Matthew and Nino.

When Matthew discovers Leila's body... Tears, man. Same for Nino discovering her true parentage.

jdstorm

Banned
Often. Nintendo's writers are among the best in the industry.

Op If you aren't feeling anything, that's more about you then the writing.

Ogodei

Plots as a whole not so much, but each also has their own little moments of sadness, joy, or profundity.

Take the end of The WindWaker, for instance. First it gets you to sympathize somewhat with Ganondorf and see a glimpse of a battered man who knows he's far gone from where and why he started, then you hear him laugh in sheer villainous joy.

Metroid Prime series tells sad stories of doomed civilizations in each game (the Chozo colony on Tallon IV, the Luminoth and their slow defeat by the Ing, the Bryyonians and the Elysians in Prime 3).

Other Zelda games offer glimpses of triumph or desperation.

Fire Emblem: PoR and RD told resonating stories about racism and the ties of religion and political oppression.

Oh yeah, Pikmin 3 was some great stuff. Despite People saying Miyamoto hates stories, the Pikmin Games are actually really great at telling stories both mechanically and narratively. Dare I say, they're some of Nintendo's best in that regard and great stories in general.

Tookay

I feel like Nintendo games are some of the few that actually hit me in the feels.

Most of the post-OoT Zelda games (particularly their endings) know how to emotionally manipulate you.

The first two Paper Mario games have managed to navigate a fine line between absurd humor and epic conclusions.

The Mother series has its gut punches, especially the third game.

And Mario Galaxy's first hour or so was just jaw dropping in how beautiful and majestic it felt.

Sa-x is the only thing to have ever frightened me in a videogame and it was largely because I played all the 2d metroids back to back so I knew just how scary Samus was at the end of Super Metroid

Elite Beat Agents

"You're The Inspiration"

Manly tears.

Not so manly tears

Also Majora's Mask, Link's Awakening, Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars, and Super Paper Mario, off the top of my head.

NO! Don't you dare inflict those memories of EBA upon me! Don't don't do this to me!

Superstar Saga was hilarious.

Though that may have been because I was in elementary/middle school. Haven't done a replay in a very very long time

TDLink

Other than general joy/happiness that comes from expertly crafted games...

• Kid Icarus Uprising
  • The Wonderful 101
  • Earthbound & Mother 3
  • Metroid Prime
  • Pokemon Gold/Silver (Confronting Red specifically)
  • Fire Emblem: PoR and RD
  • Xenoblade
  • Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • Zelda: The Wind Waker

Laieon

Animal Crossing's story line made me feel like I should always pay the rent.

Wind Waker's made me feel like I wanted to see see the world. Don't stick to my island, there's a ton of other islands out there. Best adventure game ever made.

Pikmin

The fact that throughout the game you learn of Olimars family and the care he has for them, only for Olimar to not gain enough of his ship parts to return home and survive. The fact that there are two items that pay homage to how much his two children truly care for their father really makes the player want to get the man home.
Pikmin 2 didn't really have a personal connection other than paying off rent and saving Louie.
Pikmin 3 though, oh boy
The fact that you are the only chance of your entire planets survival and you need to learn to adjust to the wildlife to obtain for for you and the planet is riveting.

Almond

No, but I'm dead inside.

Mother 3 got closest though.

Y448N1W.jpg

Xenoblade Chronicles X with everyone's story about how they're dealing with the new situation they're in, Xenoblade Chronicles overall journey, and I think Skyward Sword with multiple things happening at the end.

Probably others I'm forgetting.

Also, Xenoblade was one of the most quotable games I've played? Also, it probably has my favorite core party in a JRPG since Chrono Trigger especially when I got all the Heart to Hearts (tedious, but worth it).

Top Bottom