• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has a Nintendo game's storyline ever made you feel anything?

Dueck

Banned
Not really... Nintendo's stories tend to be vague and generic most of the time, if there even is one. Metroid's mystique has always intrigued me the most, and Zelda has its moments, but virtually everything else doesn't interest me. Michael Bay movies do more with a plot :(

Definitely Majora's Mask. The 3 day system allowed for a world that felt alive and bustling with almost every character having their own little story. It had my favorite side quests in any game until Witcher 3 came along. Still hold it in high regard.

The Zelda games, absolutely.

When I was a kid, the Metroid sacrificing itself for Samus in Super Metroid definitely hit me with the feelings.

EDIT: Oh, and holy shit, Earthbound Zero when Ninten and Ana dance. That might be the best moment of a NES game ever.

jdstorm

Banned
Not really... Nintendo's stories tend to be vague and generic most of the time, if there even is one. Metroid's mystique has always intrigued me the most, and Zelda has its moments, but virtually everything else doesn't interest me. Michael Bay movies do more with a plot :(

This is such a strange criticism. What would you say is a good example of a story that isn't generic?

Smeags

I found GAFs reaction to playing Nintendo games:

200.gif

Other M made feel a lot of empathy for Samus and the scientist girl.

Zelda has always been emotional.

Super Paper Mario left me with a sour sweet sensation too.

The stories themselves? No, probably not.

But I've felt more emotion from playing the best Nintendo games than anything else in the medium. Experiencing The Legend of Zelda on NES as a boy will stay with me forever. Playing Super Mario Galaxy for the first time with my wife during our first year of marriage is something I will cherish for the rest of my life. The moment I first received the paraglider in Breath of the Wild and jumped off the Great Plateau is a feeling no other game this generation can come close to matching. No other video game company has given me moments like these and they're better than any story I've been told via a game.

A rather broad topic, but if we're going by sadness and chills and the like...EarthBound and Mother 3 are obvious choices, although the likes of Mario Galaxy, Wind Waker, Majora's Mask, Link's Awakening, Xenoblade and PM:TTYD come to mind.

EDIT: Oh, and holy shit, Earthbound Zero when Ninten and Ana dance. That might be the best moment of a NES game ever.

Oh yeah, this too. The story's flawed but that was easily the most heartfelt moment.

Fireblend

Banned
Earthbound
Mother 3
The Thousand Year Old Door?
Kirby Planet Robobot
that tear at the end :(
Xenoblade Chronicles if it counts
Majora's Mask

Macka

Not in the same vein as games like The Last of Us or Shadow of the Colossus, no.

Metroid Prime definitely conjures up feelings of dread and solitude, though. Incredibly atmospheric game.

I've felt sadness in certain Fire Emblem games. There are a few moments in the Zelda games that stand out for that reason as well.

As with movies and TV shows, story is often overrated. It's really about characters. And Nintendo certainly delivers there, even with their usual minimalist approach.

I doubt there are many people who played through the original Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda who would say the games didn't make them experience excitement, wonder, dread, tension, relief, sadness, and joy. Narrative is just one of several tools games can use to instill emotions in a player, and the idea that a strong focus on narrative is the only way to make the player emotionally invested is a short-sighted one.

Felensis

Banned
The only game on a Nintendo console that got me really emotionally invested was Secret of Mana and Super Metroid on SNES. All other Nintendo games which I played don't get me emotionally in terms of story or characters. Sure they let me feel fun, joy etc. but I couldn't care less for their stories. Was heavily disappointed by BOTW's story. That's why I need my PlayStation with games like TLoU which suck me right into the immersion and let me feel the characters emotions, identify with them. That's why I couldn't play solely on Nintendo platforms.

Not really.

But then again, no game's storyline has left an impression on me - not The Last of Us, FFVII, etc - except maybe Portal's was pretty nice.

EDIT: Now that I think about it the two little girls in Karakiro in BOTW made me feel pretty emotional.

Generic they may be at times. But vague they are almost never, they're almost always defined.

In Twilight Princess I remember there was a heartwarming bit where the yeti reunites with his wife. I was like 14-15 at the time or something though.

SimonM7

Story, no, not once. It's all very cookie cutter in that regard.

But music, visuals and context have gotten to me plenty of times. I think the most overwhelmed I've been by any Nintendo game was twirling from a planet to the next in Mario Galaxy for the first time, and the orchestral music kicking in. The weirdly powerful sense of freedom and possibility in that game really washes over you in that moment, and that is most assuredly emotional in its own right.

One that not many people bring up is Animal Crossing on Gamecube. So adorable yet a very dark, creepy, eerie game.

Oh yeah and in BOTW when the Goron and his son move to Tarrey Town that made me tear up a bit

Xenoblade, Majora's and Mother 3. Specially Mother.

But yeah, Nintendo has a problem with narrative. And it won't change until Miyamoto goes away. Hopefully it won't be too late by then.

Strings

I was laughing my ass off at Color Splash last year, such a funny game. And the scenario Variety is brilliant stuff. One of my favorite videogame comedies in awhile. Hat's off to Writer and director Taro Kudo, the guy's a madman and I'm very excited for his future.

Eh, I think he's very responsible for that series going downhill honestly. Came on as director on Sticker Star, and yeah.

Eh, I think he's very responsible for that series going downhill honestly. Came on as director on Sticker Star, and yeah.

But he got better? His scenario work is great and really came through for me. Also, technically he's one of two directors and was noted to be significantly more hands on in Color Splash.

Ezalc

Fire Emblem 4's midgame plot twist is something that made me audibly gasp. Then the rest of the story happens and I'm amazed that nintendo ever made an antagonist like that. Shit was crazy.

ohlawd

find it sad people are sleeping on Nintendo's storytelling attempts in their games' sidequests. I'm constantly impressed at the high level of quality they put out

Penguin

All the time, makes me feel a sense of wonder, joy, curiosity, thrill, hope, disappointment, frustration, all types of emotions.

But mostly wonder and joy.

JCHandsom

Fire Emblem games have some solid stories on the level most other good JRPGs- not exactly groundbreaking, but it gets you to sit there and read text boxes for 30 hours and have fun doing it!

jordanhowe

Neo Member
I actually had a deep affinity for some of my party members in both Fire Emblem: Awakening and Fire Emblem Fates. Felt like quirky friends and family members sometimes.

Edit: I know that this isn't the best place to do this, but I see so many people mentioning Mother 3. Is there anyone that can point me in the right direction of finding a good version to play?

Xenoblade really smacked me in the face with feelings. If you want a Nintendo epic with an amazing story and some feelings involved, get Xenoblade Chronicles.

EDIT: Zelda series sometimes gets me as well.

Top Bottom