• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has a Nintendo game's storyline ever made you feel anything?

Don't think any game's story ever made me feel anything other than embarrassment.

There's just a lot less bullshit to skip or mash through in Nintendo's games.

Aurongel

Not even close. The only games that have even approached emotional investment were Paper Mario TTYD and Super Paper Mario.

Nintendo is a gameplay first company for better or worse. I thought BotW would be a break from that based on the trailers but... well...

LQX

Koko, Cottla and their father story from Breath of The Wild is pretty deep. And I think many will miss out on aspects on it. It's almost an hidden gem. The most emotional a game has got me in forever. I guess because they were kids.

502462387.jpg

mqdefault.jpg

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Deep sadness at putting many pikmin to death for the greater good

Paper Mario 2 and Super Paper Mario were genuinely funny games and I'm always a sucker for "everyone the heroes met on their journey rally together to give them their strength to keep fighting" that the former's ending does.

DylanEno

Koko, Cottla and their father story from Breath of The Wild is pretty deep. And I think many will miss out on aspects on it. It's almost an hidden gem. The most emotional a game has got me in forever. I guess because they were kids.

502462387.jpg

mqdefault.jpg
"I only cry when it's raining so momma doesn't know that they're tears!"

wtf ;-;

Javier

Plenty, but honorable mentions to Rosalina's Storybook in Super Mario Galaxy and the ending of A Link Between Worlds.

psyfi

Banned
Aside from awe, wonder, and happiness, I also felt very somber, bewildered, and somewhat mournful when I beat Link's Awakening as a kid. Such a special game.

Nepenthe

Skyward Sword- whole damn ending and staff roll was excessively emotional.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door- Admiral Bobbery's letter from his wife.

Star Fox Zero: The special message in the credits.

These are the latest ones I can think of, but I imagine there are more that have gotten me. But I'm too sleepy right now.

rudger

I really need to finish Chibi Robo, but even just the half of the game I played had a lot of surprisingly real scenes.

I absolutely adore Shulk & Fiora scenes in Xenoblade. There's a reason Shulk & Fiora is my fav song of that glorious OST.

Also really feeling bad for Melia =/

Aside from awe, wonder, and happiness, I also felt very somber, bewildered, and somewhat mournful when I beat Link's Awakening as a kid. Such a special game.

Thank you for not just talking about some moment that made you cry. There's a really weird equivalence in the video game community between having an emotional reaction and extreme sadness.

Yeah. BotW storyline made me feel extreme boredom. Zelda's VA made me feel confusion and anger.
The gameplay is good, but the story is pants.

Xenoblade's story was the same.

Paper Mario 1 and 2 were dope though.

seady

The Little Prince-est story in Super Mario Galaxy. Super sweet and touching. It's the reason why it trescend being simply a great platformer.

It's a shame Super Mario Galaxy 2 lost that and went back to 'only' a great platformer.

hatchx

Banned
"I only cry when it's raining so momma doesn't know that they're tears!"

wtf ;-;

120 hours in and I didn't even know about these characters or quest.

Ocarina of Time always does it for me. Probably more than any other game. Link's entire relationship with Saria. The guard in the forsaken castle town. The turmoil at Lon Lon Ranch. Meeting Zelda as young Link. The entire ending. Mix that all up with the nostalgia of having played it when I was 9 on N64, when I was 18 on Wii VC, and again when I was 25 on 3DS. It's just the perfect blend of feels.

Metroid Prime is another one. The story in that game is actually rather fucking excellent, although you have to scan lore and piece it together to learn it. It's just so epic. The Chozo went to Tallon IV to escape greed and technology and pursue a more virtuous, spiritual life. And then the phazon-filled meteor hits, which they had prophesied. Samus comes and saves the planet, exploring the abandoned, decayed ruins of a great lost civilization. The entire setting and story is haunting and poignant.

Seriously two of my favorite games ever.

casiopao

Yeah. BotW storyline made me feel extreme boredom. Zelda's VA made me feel confusion and anger.
The gameplay is good, but the story is pants.

Xenoblade 2s story was the same.

Paper Mario 1 and 2 were dope though.

.......xenoblade 2 havent even released yet lol.

fiorungs death in
xenoblade

learning about zeldas fate in botw

the crew of metaknight saluting him when he goes against kirby and halbert is failing

Oddish1

Well there's Earthbound of course. I always thought the opening of Wind Waker was very effective. The "You're the Inspiration" level from Elite Beat Agents had me a little teary eyed back when I first played it. Kid Icarus Uprising had very good writing and could be very funny. On a similar note I really enjoyed Rhythm Heaven Megamix's story, which was both funny and charming. Although developed by Platinum and "only" published by Nintendo, The Wonderful 101's story has a lot of good moments in it as well, especially it's climax and ending which the game builds to exceptionally well.

Breath of the Wild got to me during some of the last memories/story bits.

Spoiler regarding the franchise-wide sword in said game:

When you get to the sword and it cuts to the shot that mimics the Link to the Past screen with three Silent Princesses (known to me only as "white-blue flowers" prior) surrounding the master sword's altar, I got the most incredible chills. BOTW is my childhood wonderment with what Zelda "is" personified.

So yeah, Nintendo games' storylines have made me feel things.

The first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Super Paper Mario, and MOTHER 3. Nintendo games make up nearly all of the games that have caused an emotional reaction within me.

Xenoblade X's side quests and NPC dialogues. So many hilarious and dark moments.

Botw's Zelda memories.

And lots and lots of happy and joyful moments in Mario series in general.

Rosalina's story in Mario Galaxy.

"But I know she's not there! I knew all along that she wasn't out there in the sky! Because...because..."

"She's sleeping under the tree on the hill!"

:'(

jsnepo

Super Mario Bros. 3
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

Both endings made me feel triumphant like I just finished an amazing long quest. SMB3's ending showed you all the worlds from grass land to Koopa's castle. Ocarina of Time also showed the different dungeons but not only that but also the NPCs you meet.

Personally I find the simple, mostly unspoken bond between Link and Zelda more powerful than most AAA storylines.

This.

Everyone says that BotW has a bad story, but they just don't see it. It is not screaming at you in every moment, demanding your attention. A lot of the story is in the context, and in my humble opinion, they executed the whole thing quite beautifully.

And a lot of the Mario games make me laugh, they have some of the best jokes in the industry (well, most of the other devs are not making funny games at all anymore, so...).

Have some imagination, people! You don't need the whole story chewed for you!

LotusHD

Banned
Cuningas de Häme;243493261 said:
This.

Everyone says that BotW has a bad story, but they just don't see it. It is not screaming at you in every moment, demanding your attention. A lot of the story is in the context, and in my humble opinion, they executed the whole thing quite beautifully.

And a lot of the Mario games make me laugh, they have some of the best jokes in the industry (well, most of the other devs are not making funny games at all anymore, so...).

Have some imagination, people! You don't need the whole story chewed for you!

What if you saw it, but still didn't like it lol

Jharp

I'm sure this sentiment has been shared in the thread more than once before, but I'm sharing it again.

Nintendo stories are wacky, silly, and fun, and they're generally just a great pleasure to enjoy and be a part of. There's a sincere joy when traipsing around the Mushroom Kingdom, a dark curiosity when exploring the dark and dank alien ruins in Metroid games, and an amazing sense of adventure when exploring Hyrule. Then they go off and do some out of left field wacky shit like Smash Bros, Mario + Rabids, or Mario Kart and you just have to sit back and laugh your ass off at how crazy it is.

That is easily and every bit as valid as any emotion elicited by a Naughty Dog game or sense of awe inspired by a Kojima production. Nintendo stories focus on the player and player agency, not overt narrative. It's the same reason why S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was such an emotionally affecting game for me- the story of Strelok is irrelevant, but that world and those factions are fucking brilliant.

Zalman

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky.

The story is much better than you think it is.

Also: EarthBound and Paper Mario.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Mother 3 ending made me cry.
Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time ending made me think these games were perfection at the time.

So yeah I think Nintendo got some very emotional games for me personally :)

Top Bottom