• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has amiibo gone too far? (Twilight Princess HD)

jwAcx2u.jpg

Thought this was appropriate.

You can't please people in some situations. You have people on both sides of the fence. More content behind Amiibos leads to complaints about content locked behind them, while less content leads to people complaining that Nintendo are selling Amiibo that don't do anything.
I'm firmly on the "not far enough" side of the fence. I want waaaaaaaaaay more from amiibos, but I'm cool with what we have now!

"I'll take gaming culture 101 for $400 Alex."

"Any other company would get destroyed, but tying over-priced DLC to plastic figures is A-OK for this Japanese giant."

"Nintendo!"

"Sorry, all answers must be in the form of a question."

Perfect, Trebek. People complain about DLC yet this is perfectly fine because this DLC has a cute plastic face to it. Must feel great knowing that without owning these plastics, your access to these DLCs are practically restricted. Once they're out of print, they're gone forever.

Guaranteed, these are carrying over to NX. These will be needed. Better start stocking up in advance!

AniHawk

A Nintendo party board game that uses the gamepad and supports all amiibos in actual gameplay could be bigger than Smash if well implemented. A new Wii Sports essentially. I think that boat has sailed though...

this is what mario party 10 had. it was the worst implementation of amiibo.

i kind of really don't get the complaint about making the game harder. hero mode is switchable without an amiibo and makes the game harder like a toggle even if you don't have the amiibo.

the wolf link one is the only thing that acts as dlc. i see that complaint carrying more weight to be honest. everything the other amiibo figures do is fluff.

Worship

Banned
Noone's butthurt or trying to "start shit", just trying to give you some advice; and your veiled insults against others who disagree with you isn't doing you any favors as far as your insinuation that you're an adult. You seem pretty upset for someone who seems to be telling others to chill, or at least your hastily typed grammatical errors would insinuate that; and to hide behind the excuse of "it wasn't direct", when you actually did directly imply that said poster is a "pussy" with your wording is, to be frank, cowardly. I'm fairly sure that direct insults against other posters is, at the least, frowned upon and, at the worst, a bannable offense. It's just friendly advice brother; calm down and find a better way to formulate your opinion my man.

I don't think he meant what you think he meant......
i agree, direct attacks are bannable. but i did not say he as a pussy. you are jumping to conclusions, and honestly poking you nose in other people's business. he is entitled to poke some fun at me and i am entitled to poke some fun back. at no point did anyone ask the SJWs here to take sides on the matter.

and sorry for my spelling and grammatical errors. my keyboard sticks. and yes, exactly for that reason. nice attempt at trying to psychoanalyses me based off that unrelated piece of info. btw, you sound a little "holier-than-thou" for someone just trying to help. i'm not buying it.

caleb1915

i didnt fling insults. a few people misunderstood and got butthurt. standard internet fools. ssdd. i make no attempts to correct them or apologize for it. but name one of those people i need to take seriously. zero. so say something else to make me give more fucks? oh damn, there i go with that swearing again. was that also an insult i threw?

i thought we were talking about amiibos here. not grammar and butthurt and who takes who seriously? wtf is going on here? can you guys grow up please.

i applaud the anonymous onlooker here who stays silent because he/she isnt offended at all... because they are smart enough to know i wasnt talking about them when i say things like "internet pussies." lol. likewise, ever person who has replied to me should know i wasnt talking about them. so i dont understand all the butthurt.

Get back on topic, no one is upset except for you. Being called out on your insults, and you backpedaling saying you didn't mention anyone in particular is a weak argument. Along with everyone who recommended you DONT do that as "fools" and "butthurt". We're trying to give you advice so you don't get banned for saying stupid shit like your first post.

Admittedly it helps to know others that collect Amiibo. Between myself, my boyfriend, and my friends I'll have access to all these bonuses without paying anything extra. As is it's just like getting little treats in games I would not otherwise have gotten. I got Ganondorf because I think he's a cool character and enjoy the character in Smash, everything afterwards has just been gravy.

I really do not think there would be a damage modifier on top of hero mode without Amiibo. Has Nintendo ever done anything like that previously?

As far as games that require multiple figures to unlock the whole experience, Skylanders has been doing this for years and there seems to be far less complaining about that than Nintendo potentially doing something similar down the line. Of course if you want to argue that the concept of toys to life is inherently problematic I won't disagree, I'm just saying that Nintendo is far from the worst implementation of the concept.

The argument for skylanders and disney infinity is they're up front about what you're going to get with the figures. Characters, and levels, every time. Some deviate with more content then that, but Amiibos it's not clear what their functionality in the future will be, and that's worrying to me and a lot of people.

redcrayon

Just because it has to be activated in a marginally different way doesn't change that it's a different difficultly mode. Come on.

The only constant change in the Zelda hard modes is double damage. You cannot now call it anything else just because Nintendo's horseshit amiibo implementation means you activate it by tapping an amiibo instead of ticking a box in an option screen.

Hell, in WWHD hero mode was able to be turned on and off at any time too from the load screen.
Do you view being able to refill hearts and arrows with the Zelda/Link Amiibo as 'different difficulty modes' too? If they included all of those effects as an option on the touch screen, people would be complaining about the inclusion of 'casual mode' instead! :D

You do know that the same constant hard mode of double damage (or hero mode) is included for everyone, right? Amiibo isn't needed for it, you can just add Ganon on top for quadruple damage. I'm not a huge fan of Amiibo but you make it sound like they locked Hero mode behind it. They haven't.

poodaddy

telling somebody they arent clever isnt throwing an insult? i got one too. how about: i dont have these conversations in real life, because SJWs in real life keep their fucking mouths shut in person.

i wasnt throwing insults. i just made a statement.

i agree, direct attacks are bannable. but i did not say he as a pussy. you are jumping to conclusions, and honestly poking you nose in other people's business. he is entitled to poke some fun at me and i am entitled to poke some fun back. at no point did anyone ask the SJWs here to take sides on the matter.

and sorry for my spelling and grammatical errors. my keyboard sticks. and yes, exactly for that reason. nice attempt at trying to psychoanalyses me based off that unrelated piece of info. btw, you sound a little "holier-than-thou" for someone just trying to help. i'm not buying it.
I'm sorry how did the conversation even go here? Are you drunk? And if using proper grammar and trying to encourage a higher level of discourse qualifies me as "holier than thou" or makes me an "SJW", (I take that second one as a compliment by the way), then color me as both. Just chill dude, it's ok to not like amiibo; noone would of ever had a problem with that opinion, but your attitude is combative and disrespectful. Take a look at your posts and tell me they don't seem combative, honestly. And using the term SJW unironically? Come on man, just stop.

The fact that you need to deal with cumbersome figures to access DLC is beyond all practicality.

Particularly interesting in a time where everyone seems to go digital with one of the major arguments being that swapping discs is inconvenient.
I realize those are probably different groups of people. Still, if stuff like amiibos can continue to be succesful, the same will apply to physical game distribution (or should anyway).

@topic:
I'm not pleased. I won't be buying the game either way, but I sure hope Nintendo doesn't continue on this path and locks even more content behind amiibos in future games.

caleb1915

telling somebody they arent clever isnt throwing an insult? i got one too. how about: i dont have these conversations in real life, because SJWs in real life keep their fucking mouths shut in person.

i wasnt throwing insults. i just made a statement.

If you think somebody saying you aren't being clever is throwing an insult you need thicker skin. I don't care about the conversations you have in "real life", and the thinly veiled threat isn't intimidating at all.

Here's my statement: Get over it, this has gone on long enough, and you're not doing any favors to yourself as a Junior member.

Do you view being able to refill hearts and arrows with the Zelda/Link Amiibo as 'different difficulty modes' too? If they included all of those effects as an option on the touch screen, people would be complaining about the inclusion of 'casual mode' instead! :D

Making a easy game easier has no value to me, or most people, hrncr the fpcus on the dorf amiibo, but yes, it is in a sense.

Literally the only constant between Zelda hero modes on every game it's been in is the increased damage, so Nintendo clearly considers that as a difficultly mode at any rate.

. You do know that the same constant hard mode of double damage (or hero mode) is included for everyone, right? Amiibo isn't needed for it, you can just add Ganon on top for quadruple damage.

That's called having a third difficultly option. Frankly TP needs 4x damage (like LBTW had) because of how low damage was from everything, but they locked that away behind a lump of plastic.

thats why i said "physical dlc" as a title. obviously it is not downloadable content, as you dont download the physical amiibo, lol. the funtion is athe same however. exactly. walks like a duck, talks like a duck. lets not play pretend here. we're all adults. well... some of us.
I honestly didn't direct this at your OP. It was more directed at the ones labeling it as something it's not solely because they don't like it. It's like an argument over tank controls or tight frame link combos. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's something that it isn't.

If Amiibo don't exist, the extra content wont exist. Simple. Just look at Windwaker HD, where is its extra challenge dungeon or its 4x damage?

Worship

Banned
Get back on topic, no one is upset except for you. Being called out on your insults, and you backpedaling saying you didn't mention anyone in particular is a weak argument. Along with everyone who recommended you DONT do that as "fools" and "butthurt". We're trying to give you advice so you don't get banned for saying stupid shit like your first post.
lol

1. keep telling yourself i'm upset. i'm entertained. but its getting old.
2. there is no argument. i'm telling you. i did not thorw an insult at anyone, regardless whether or not anyone was offended. like i said, i make no attempt to apologize of correct those who got butthurt and confused.
3. its not my first post.
4. i dont buy for a minute you are trying help anyone, lol.
5. cry more.

you can stay on topic by fucking off and quit bothering me at this point.

redcrayon

Making a easy game easier has no value to me, or most people, hrncr the fpcus on the dorf amiibo, but yes, it is in a sense.

Literally the only constant between Zelda hero modes on every game it's been in is the increased damage, so Nintendo clearly considers that as a difficultly mode at any rate.

Well, 'most people' on a forum like gaf, at any rate. I reckon the 'easy mode' buffs will get at least as much use out in the wild.

Reminds me of when they included the Fire Emblem easy modes in the last game- not many people admitted to wanting it here, but I'm sure plenty of people who don't play many strategy games (or just play them for the story) were interested in it.

Just in case you missed my previous edit:
You do know that the same constant hard mode of double damage (or hero mode) is included for everyone, right? Amiibo isn't needed for it, you can just add Ganon on top for quadruple damage. I'm not a huge fan of Amiibo but you make it sound like they locked Hero mode behind it. They haven't.
That's called having a third difficultly option. Frankly TP needs 4x damage (like LBTW had) because of how low damage was from everything, but they locked that away behind a lump of plastic.
Ah, OK, I see where you're coming from.

You aren't limited to 2 difficulties and 4x damage isn't new to Zelda(LBW had that for hero mode). There are (at least) 3 difficulty modes in TPHD and the hardest is locked behind amiibo.

Nanashrew

Banned
I got no issue with an easy mode.

Most seem too regardless if you purchase it or not though like the easy tapping mode in Bayo 2 (which able gamers rewarded) and the white Tanooki in 3D World, to just health or item refill from an Amiibo.

Worship

Banned
I'm sorry how did the conversation even go here? Are you drunk? And if using proper grammar and trying to encourage a higher level of discourse qualifies me as "holier than thou" or makes me an "SJW", (I take that second one as a compliment by the way), then color me as both. Just chill dude, it's ok to not like amiibo; noone would of ever had a problem with that opinion, but your attitude is combative and disrespectful. Take a look at your posts and tell me they don't seem combative, honestly. And using the term SJW unironically? Come on man, just stop.
just read your first two sentences. it went there because you are whining at me on the internet. get it together. i dont respect your behavior whatsoever. oh... did you pick up on that fact there? is my combative and disrespectful" nature cluing you in on that yet? what about my sarcasm? any of this coming in?

hey, its fine. be a jerk. act like a nincompoop. hell, even offend me if you can. but dont be a hypocrite and act like you are just trying to help and give me constructive criticism at this point, lol be real.

i'll give you the same advice as i gave the other guy who claimed he is going to go back on topic (then gave me one more off-topic quote, lol). just leave me alone. everything will be much better.

poodaddy

lol

2. there is no argument. i'm telling you. i did not thorw an insult at anyone, regardless whether or not anyone was offended. like i said, i make no attempt to apologize of correct those who got butthurt and confused.
5. cry more.

you can stay on topic by fucking off and quit bothering me at this point
Well aren't you productive? .....Making a great case for your adulthood with posts like these -_-. Explain to me how telling a member to fuck off isn't an insult? I wanna hear the spin on this. I tremble with anticipation at the barrage of veiled insults and accusations of being a progenitor of social justice when I can't even figure out how that got brought up or why.

caleb1915

lol

5. cry more.

you can stay on topic by fucking off and quit bothering me at this point.

You can keep acting like a tough guy all you want, but it's only going to make me feel sorry for you and the constant attempts to claim you're not upset with posts like this.

Fuck man, who are you so angry at? The only thing I'm confused about is your escalation of a non-issue. You can tell me anything you want, and until you make a coherent point other than trying to poke my buttons, you're coming out this looking way worse than me friend, and if I'm bothering you than that's all on you. It's pretty easy to just ignore me and get back on topic like I suggested multiple times.

poodaddy

You can keep acting like a tough guy all you want, but it's only going to make me feel sorry for you and the constant attempts to claim you're not upset with posts like this.

Fuck man, who are you so angry at? The only thing I'm confused about is your escalation of a non-issue. You can tell me anything you want, and until you make a coherent point other than trying to poke my buttons, you're coming out this looking way worse than me friend, and if I'm bothering you than that's all on you. It's pretty easy to just ignore me and get back on topic like I suggested multiple times.

Yeah to be honest I'm confused as to why he thinks this tough guy shtick does anything over the internet; it's getting a bit disconcerting. It feels like, at this point, he's just projecting.

redcrayon

You aren't limited to 2 difficulties and 4x damage isn't new to Zelda(LBW had that for hero mode). There are (at least) 3 difficulty modes in TPHD and the hardest is locked behind amiibo.
Well, there's at least four if we include the opposite of Ganon, which is the option of constant heart refills from Zelda. I think playing on x4 damage is something only a very small number of players would want to do, certainly less than might be interested in the Zelda/Link refills instead.

I don't see an issue with locking the ability to make each encounter very easy or very hard behind Amiibo. To me they aren't the same as permanent difficulty modes, having more difficulty options (both 'very easy' and 'very hard') from the menu would have been the thing to do if that was their intention for how people would use the Amiibo, rather than in a more casual manner now and then.

I think that sums up much of the argument over Amiibo on gaf. Nintendo see them as a bit of fun to be used now and then, insignificant compared to a game that is huge in comparison. But some players, used to mining every last piece of a game, see it as small pieces of content locked behind a £12 toy compared to the huge amount of content in a £40 game. Two different ways of viewing the Amiibo/main content side by side.

Gravijah

Any gaming related discussion will inevitably lead to someone BLAMING THE SJWs. It's inevitable. We need a snazzy name for it, like Rule 8=D.

caleb1915

He just wouldn't listen man. Honestly, the second someone starts levying SJW as an insult it really speaks volumes to what kind of person they are. Oh well, nothing of value was lost as they say.

I just feel bad now, I could've left it, but I really wanted to make him realize that his posts are just toxic to discussion...I gotta get to bed anyways it's 2am and I think I've said everything I've wanted to say about amiibos for now.

Nanashrew

Banned
He just wouldn't listen man. Honestly, the second someone starts levying SJW as an insult it really speaks volumes to what kind of person they are. Oh well, nothing of value was lost as they say.

Yeah, when that starts happening I just do not engage cause they're not worth it. Me and Streets got that the other night when talking about localization stuff over Twitter. Those types just come out of the wood works regardless of platform.

poodaddy

I just feel bad now, I could've left it, but I really wanted to make him realize that his posts are just toxic to discussion...I gotta get to bed anyways it's 2am and I think I've said everything I've wanted to say about amiibos for now.

I wouldn't worry about it man, it's not your fault. When someone doesn't wanna take friendly advice, then it's certainly no fault of your's. He'll get better as he gets older I'm sure; honestly the ban was for the best. It might even be a valuable lesson. Or he could just go on reddit or 4chan and start calling people SJW's there. Who knows, I wouldn't worry about it though. Have a good night man.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Ultimately what I'm hearing is that Nintendo can do this because they've got a portfolio, they've got so many studios under them, they've got probably more games in production than Sony and MS internally combined.

Which sounds fair, if you like Nintendo, or tend to enjoy the games they put out, this does sound like it offers a value, as they have control over what the amiibo can offer in all of these games.
If it was Ubisoft it would be just as perfectly acceptable, if it functioned the same. Amiibo works right now on several games for the one price, that's probably the best way to handle DLC I've ever seen in gaming. $13 for a figurine that unlocks DLC in not just one but several games seems far better then it only being for one game at the same price.

If people are comfortable in spending $5-$30 for DLC then Amiibos seem like a bloody good shakeup to the traditional model.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
If Amiibo don't exist, the extra content wont exist. Simple. Just look at Windwaker HD, where is its extra challenge dungeon or its 4x damage?

I can't tell if this is serious or not.

If so, I'm sure they're really breaking the bank with that damage modifier.

fernoca

Well, there's at least four if we include the opposite of Ganon, which is the option of constant heart refills from Zelda. I think playing on x4 damage is something only a very small number of players would want to do, certainly less than might be interested in the Zelda/Link refills instead.

I don't see an issue with locking the ability to make each encounter very easy or very hard behind Amiibo. To me they aren't the same as permanent difficulty modes, having more difficulty options (both 'very easy' and 'very hard') from the menu would have been the thing to do if that was their intention for how people would use the Amiibo, rather than in a more casual manner now and then.

I think that sums up much of the argument over Amiibo on gaf. Nintendo see them as a bit of fun to be used now and then, insignificant compared to a game that is huge in comparison. But some players, used to mining every last piece of a game, see it as small pieces of content locked behind a £12 toy compared to the huge amount of content in a £40 game. Two different ways of viewing the Amiibo/main content side by side.
Yeah.
Reminds me a bit to some vegan people I know. XD

The other day I decided to make some lasagna for me and my dad and chose a nice grounded meat, some bacon, cheddar cheese, etc. But when they knew about that, it was as if I told them that I skinned some pigs alive to make bacon, decapitated a cow and then took a bath in their blood.

The use of amiibo so far is really...small and simple.

The entire thought process was probably like "so because Gannondorf is evil lets make him give you more damage. Yeah that would be fun...lol..yeah...".

Yet, some some see it as some evil scheme to force players to pay $13 for an additional difficulty setting.

poodaddy

Yeah, when that starts happening I just do not engage cause they're not worth it. Me and Streets got that the other night when talking about localization stuff over Twitter. Those types just come out of the wood works regardless of platform.

Yeah they really do seem to, I don't get it man. When did a hobby that's all about fun become such a platform for vitriol? So ironic and just....inappropriate ya know? Ugh, puts a bad taste in my mouth, and considering I'm munching on a chocolate covered cherry and an aged bavarian ale that's kind of impressive in its grossness. Gotta give those guys the Kamiya treatment on twitter lol. He knows how to handle the gaters and haters ;)

caleb1915

I wouldn't worry about it man, it's not your fault. When someone doesn't wanna take friendly advice, then it's certainly no fault of your's. He'll get better as he gets older I'm sure; honestly the ban was for the best. It might even be a valuable lesson. Or he could just go on reddit or 4chan and start calling people SJW's there. Who knows, I wouldn't worry about it though. Have a good night man.

258440_o.gif

WHY IS IT SO HARD.....thanks, you have good night too.

- J - D -

The purveyors of toys-to-life nerd hummels have already won. Or at least, the majority of consumers buying up these tchotchkes are winning that battle for them. There's no going too far if people continue to buy en mass.

I expect to see little figurines that include special boosts to coincide with The Witcher 4 or Fallout 5 or Assassin's Creed Whatever in the coming years.

Darryl

Banned
if they were actually setting out to make a whole new mode, they would've made it a 100X damage modifier so every hit is instakill. that's actually substantial. 4X damage modifier instead of 2X is marginal difference - the playthroughs aren't even going to be much different. using the zelda or link amiibo will impact a playthrough much more

they were obviously trying to find easy ways to shove in amiibo use into this game. what was ganondorf supposed to do? just hit you every time you tapped him instead? or were they supposed to make real, substantial content to hide behind a paywall instead (which they aren't doing now)? what could they have done? even exclusive cosmetic hats is more outrageous than this.

Tevious

Ganondorf is the only good example of amiibo integration in this game. With Link and Zelda they go overboard in their uselessness.

Because the base game is too easy. Zelda could be useful if it was x2 or x4 damage to start with. Link would be useful if items weren't in every patch of grass and in every pot.

I don't see why Nintendo couldn't just throw these extras up as like DLC on the shop. So stupid to only lock content behind plastic toys.

This is literally my only complaint here.

The ability to get 9999 Rupees?
A harder difficulty?
A new optional dungeon?

These do not affect the game in the slightest.

ameleco

I've never minded this. What I do mind is not being able to open them. Why can't I scan through the box? :(

They should just give an option to unlock via some other method, though it is ridiculous to charge for a difficulty. Perhaps just the dungeon should cost. Difficulty mode shouldn't cost at all

I have almost every Smash amiibo, and I agree that this is going too far. I don't want Wolf Link, and I don't want yo buy this game at launch, but later down the line. Will Wolf Link even be an option? Probably not.

It's not a huge deal, but it's an aggravating peek into a Nintendo strategy that is everything gamer's have hated about DLC and micro transactions but presented in a more expensive form that people are falling into without question.

Amiibo don't need content locks and gimmicks like this. They need a amiibo-centric game, like Disney Infinity or Lego Dimensions, that gives them use. Then they aren't withholding content from games for people who don't want them, and the figures have a chance to be dramatically more useful in a form that is more consumer friendly. Smash was the best use of them so far.

Top Bottom