• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has amiibo gone too far? (Twilight Princess HD)

Adaren

Wish they would just put the Amiibo content as DLC, even if it wasn't available for download until a month after the game or whatever. Then the Amiibo become a "Season Pass" of sorts.

Having it exclusively locked to a physical product that won't be available forever just feels terrible.

flak57

Until it does, this is nothing different than when Nintendo made a GB Color exclusive dungeon in Link's Awakening DX, only instead of needing a new console you use a figure that's included with every retail version of the game.

The color dungeon uses color for its challenges. That's the whole point.

...And it was a GBC game. Support for their 10+ year old console, which already had its own release of the game, was just a bonus.

What a strange comparison.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The wolf link amiibo is just a reskinned extra 100 floor thing that's already in the game, only this time it records your stats I guess, your not missing out on anything and idk why your complaining about it.

You can't always get what you want. And Nintendo is a business. As long as they're not infuriating their core fanbase, they will be fine. Just take a stand when you've had enough, and move on. It's just a game, which is also a toy.

The main problem is not inherently the amiibo unlocking content, but the fact that the content isn't given elsewhere as well.

Nintendo's basic intent about the purpose of amiibo is essentially a reverse of what everyone here accuses it of. Instead of locking content to a single figure, they see it as one of many other content bonuses that the single figure can give you.

I understand that people would disagree about this sort of content separation if they don't plan on getting amiibo at all, but it's been more than a year now since amiibo have been implemented. They aren't going away soon.

Though I would appreciate the option to get those bits of functionality separately for the people not willing to buy amiibo as they are.

I think Legend of Zelda games tend to be hard as they are already!

Wish there were puzzle difficulty options, because I hate Zelda puzzles and dungeons. I'd have way more incentive to beat Zelda games if I didn't have to deal with the dungeons that much.

Nanashrew

Banned
Ok, that's definitely not a comparison most people here would agree with I think. Video games have moved far beyond the "Toy" mentality of the early 90s that Nintendo also capitalized on.

Video games now have many facets beyond toy, true, and now toy has it's own category of toys called toy to life which is Amiibo, Skylanders, Disney Infinity and they are eating into video game sections of some store chains.

Zalman

I don't plan on buying any of these amiibo, but their integration doesn't bother me. Their additions/benefits are trivial.

My opinion on amiibo locked content is the same as it has always been.

Whatever content they unlock such as weapons, modes, stages, areas, etc should be available in the eShop for purchase but unlocked for free using appropriate amiibo. I feel the same about costumes but since such content is so trivial it doesn't matter. This way the content will always be available in the event that the specific amiibos are no longer readily available or for consumers that want to go digital with their game purchase.

This would also prompt Nintendo to make more appealing content across more titles so that consumers will have multiple content across multiple games that interests them so that buying an amiibo that unlocks all of those things is a better deal than buying them individually.

For example, I still want the Spinner for Hyrule Warriors, but I'm not going to buy a $12 Link amiibo just for it. If a Link amiibo unlocked new, purchasable custom kart parts for Mario Kart 8 for free, unlocked select purchasable Mii costumes or a DLC stage for Smash4 for free in addition to the Hyrule Warriors Spinner, it'd be a much more appealing purchase.

Keeping content locked ONLY behind a specific amiibo is a powder keg. We've been lucky that it's been insignificant content so far but once it locks something serious, shit's gonna fly. Could you imagine if Bayonetta or Cloud in Smash 4 could only be unlocked via a gold Mario amiibo or something packaged with a re-print of Smash 4?

Amiibos are probably the worst form of DLC ever made.

I don't know why other people don't see them as such, they're worse than horse armor ever was.

Absolutely right. I love having decent cheap Nintendo figurines, having bought over 50 of the damn things. Buy the implementation in games is damn horrible.
I don't plan on buying any of these amiibo, but their integration doesn't bother me. Their additions/benefits are trivial.

Woah. A difficultly level is trivial content now? I'm sorry but that's almost objectively not true at all.

yep, it's fucking garbage

i hope someone figures out a workaround

I'm hoping someone works out Amiibo NFC emulation before long. Shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility (once that's worked out) to let, at the very least, any Android phone emit the NFC signal of any chosen Amiibo.

caleb1915

Video games now have many facets beyond toy, true, and now toy has it's own category of toys called toy to life which is Amiibo, Skylanders, Disney Infinity and they are eating into video game sections of some store chains.

If i try to argue that video games are art like I truly believe they have become in certain cases, I'm sure there would be plenty of people that will provide good arguments as to why they aren't (interaction, art needing to be about a higher purpose or something) . But I feel those miss the entire point of art in the sense that art is constantly changing and evolving along with technology. Along with everything that was considered impossible to be art (film, TV, comic books were all considered beneath true art) warrant a need to stop hanging onto the traditional view that art can't be about playing.

Instead I'm going to say video games are a type of visual media along with movies, TV, paintings, books, comic books, etc.,

jonno394

No issue with any of the stuff locked behind any amiibo in any game. It's all pretty bare bones stuff that I really don't care about. I'm not missing out.

jwAcx2u.jpg

Thought this was appropriate.

You can't please people in some situations. You have people on both sides of the fence. More content behind Amiibos leads to complaints about content locked behind them, while less content leads to people complaining that Nintendo are selling Amiibo that don't do anything.

Zelda has this thing going on with hard to get content

Capcom GB games
OG 4swords needing two players
4 swords adventures cutting tetra trackers
tingle tuner needing a ds
tingle tuner removed for a bad version of dark souls messages (tingle bottle)
this

Worship

Banned
Amiibos = day-one DLC in physical form. In what world is this cool? Oh yeah.. the Nintendo one, where the apologists and fanboys are okay withe everything they do and have no point or reference otherwise, lol.

redcrayon

Absolutely right. I love having decent cheap Nintendo figurines, having bought over 50 of the damn things. Buy the implementation in games is damn horrible.

Woah. A difficultly level is trivial content now? I'm sorry but that's almost objectively not true at all.
By 'difficulty level' you make it sound more significant than 'take double damage until you die', which is what it actually does. Its not a permanent campaign mode, like the included Hero mode.

It's a simple and temporary debuff, not an additional mode. It's the opposite of the Zelda one being able to refill all hearts in the middle of a battle, which I wouldn't count as significant content either.

Amiibos = day-one DLC in physical form. In what world is this cool? Oh yeah.. the Nintendo one, where the apologists and fanboys are okay withe everything they do and have no point or reference otherwise, lol.
The difference being that with a remake we know exactly what the original, complete content of the game is, so the usual complaints about day-one DLC being carved-off content seem a little odd to me when the only reason the extras exist is Amiibo. If there weren't Ganon/Zelda Amiibos already in people's hands, they wouldn't have bothered adding the refill/drain hearts buff/debuffs. That's what I don't get, it's a tiny, inconsequential thing offered as a surprise to people that bought the toy a decade after some of us played the original game, and now there are people saying that a playthrough of TP is incomplete without them.

I'm not a fan of stuff being carved off and sold seperately (like the ME3 character), and if suddenly you couldn't access original features like the minigames or wolf mode without buying a toy I'd agree with you. But the extra stuff created for Amiibo is by definition inessential as it was made nearly a decade after the developers downed tools on TP and decided what was needed for it.

I do sympathise with the idea that the Amiibo stuff is interesting and people can't even try it later if the specific toys are hard to find though. Maybe they should eventually add the Amiibo stuff on the digital stores as rewards under their new points system or something. Does that same complaint get chucked at Lego Dimensions and Disney Infinity with their vast range of content hidden behind toy purchases though? Or is it just that Zelda is a 'core' game with an older audience that sees it as 'theirs' on gaf, and thus hold it to different standards or something like that? I only ask because I look at this toys-to-life stuff as a parent, and do wonder if they will all be useless when the first-generation toys that go with each one are no longer sold.

Quality bait there man, mind if I take some for a day out the lake?

Acerac

Banned
The wolf link amiibo is just a reskinned extra 100 floor thing that's already in the game, only this time it records your stats I guess, your not missing out on anything and idk why your complaining about it.

Missing out on any content whatsoever infuriates people no matter how inconsequential it may be.

TheFatMan

I might be slightly annoyed if Nintendo wasn't bundling the Amiibo with the game for literally the SAME price.

Like, if they want to give me free extra content AND a dope statue for my desk I'm cool with that.

What about those who have multiple current consoles and a PC? If we're okay with it, what does that do to the Strawman?

poodaddy

When the chips are down, you do what you have to do to bring in business. I have zero problem with what Nintendo's doing with amiibo. It could be better sure, but honestly what's the difference between using amiibo and offering DLC?

I dislike them, but to say they are exactly like dlc is flat out wrong. You get a physical item. Not only that, but the same physical item can be used in multiple games. This isn't merely dlc, regardless of how much we hate it. A money grab, perhaps. Let's not put inaccurate titles on it though, as that doesn't do any good at all.

poodaddy

you ever get tired of the internet pussies who just tell others they are trolling, flaming and baiting, when really all it is is just they are offended and can't respect others' opinions? i know i do.

Directly calling members pussies huh? Well.... thanks for your meaningful contributions to the thread man. Really great stuff.

caleb1915

Missing out on any content whatsoever infuriates people no matter how inconsequential it may be.

And to further your point, waiting until it becomes egregious and larger portions of content start being locked behind DLC it wil already be too late at that point. The people who don't see it as a problem in the future will be taken advantage of when the amiibos are required to get the full experience in a game. Or monetizing like F2P models where they slow down progression unless you have a figurine.

Saying oh that won't happen is ignorant. It will happen, it already is happening, and it has become the accepted norm after years of slowly progressing to this state for years.

Worship

Banned
I dislike them, but to say they are exactly like dlc is flat out wrong. You get a physical item. Not only that, but the same physical item can be used in multiple games. This isn't merely dlc, regardless of how much we hate it. A money grab, perhaps. Let's not put inaccurate titles on it though, as that doesn't do any good at all.
thats why i said "physical dlc" as a title. obviously it is not downloadable content, as you dont download the physical amiibo, lol. the funtion is athe same however. exactly. walks like a duck, talks like a duck. lets not play pretend here. we're all adults. well... some of us.

Worship

Banned
Directly calling members pussies huh? Well.... thanks for your meaningful contributions to the thread man. Really great stuff.
i thought it was indirectly, frankly.

but no. i wasnt at all, actually. i was asking him an unrelated question in response to him asking me out to the lake. dont get all butthurt on me now just because i dont like amiibos... or whatever reason you are trying to start shit.

Fredrik

I have no problem with this as long as it's extra content I don't need to complete the game. It's like a DLC bonus level but now you aren't just paying for data but a physical toy too. I like it,

caleb1915

you ever get tired of the internet pussies who just tell others they are trolling, flaming and baiting, when really all it is is just they are offended and can't respect others' opinions? i know i do.

I get tired of the people who get worked up over someone calling out their dismissive behavior, and then respond with disrespectful insults masquerading as an opinion.

Tusk

It may be best you learn to properly word out an opinion. Flinging around insults doesn't do anything but make you look bad. No one is going to take you or your opinions seriously like that.

NFLO

Neo Member
You guys think it's bad now?. Try and think about what will happen if Nintendo finally gets 3rd party support on par with Sony and Microsoft and they get companies like EA creating 3rd party Amiibo. Just imagine all the companies with bad DLC and Microtransaction practices getting in bed with the Amiibo craze..

caleb1915

You're not clever. Contribute something to the discussion other than generalizations and straw man arguments, and crying foul when it blows up in your face.

holy heck... so lesson learned: dont swear because people will flip their... stuff. gotcha. lol.

Apology accepted, swearing's fine, throwing insults at someone because they poked fun at your response isn't though, sorry for derailing the thread.

You guys think it's bad now?. Try and think about what will happen if Nintendo finally gets 3rd party support on par with Sony and Microsoft and they get companies like EA creating 3rd party Amiibo. Just imagine all the companies with bad DLC and Microtransaction practices getting in bed with the Amiibo craze..

Are you telling me I can get a John Madden amiibo in 2018.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Significant DLC being stuck behind a figure sucks no matter what. A lot of people don't have a problem with this case because Wolf Link is included with launch of the game for free*.

*The question is, should this remaster be $59.99? All of the footage I've seen so far has suggested they haven't done nearly enough to improve the older version of the game to justify that price tag. The inclusion of the Amiibo is actually genius since it sideswipes grievances about that. You could really think of the game being $48 and the Amiibo being $12.

Worship

Banned
It may be best you learn to properly word out an opinion. Flinging around insults doesn't do anything but make you look bad. No one is going to take you or your opinions seriously like that.
i didnt fling insults. a few people misunderstood and got butthurt. standard internet fools. ssdd. i make no attempts to correct them or apologize for it. but name one of those people i need to take seriously. zero. so say something else to make me give more fucks? oh damn, there i go with that swearing again. was that also an insult i threw?

i thought we were talking about amiibos here. not grammar and butthurt and who takes who seriously? wtf is going on here? can you guys grow up please.

i applaud the anonymous onlooker here who stays silent because he/she isnt offended at all... because they are smart enough to know i wasnt talking about them when i say things like "internet pussies." lol. likewise, ever person who has replied to me should know i wasnt talking about them. so i dont understand all the butthurt.

poodaddy

thats why i said "physical dlc" as a title. obviously it is not downloadable content, as you dont download the physical amiibo, lol. the funtion is athe same however. exactly. walks like a duck, talks like a duck. lets not play pretend here. we're all adults. well... some of us.

i thought it was indirectly, frankly.

but no. i wasnt at all, actually. i was asking him an unrelated question in response to him asking me out to the lake. dont get all butthurt on me now just because i dont like amiibos... or whatever reason you are trying to start shit.
Noone's butthurt or trying to "start shit", just trying to give you some advice; and your veiled insults against others who disagree with you isn't doing you any favors as far as your insinuation that you're an adult. You seem pretty upset for someone who seems to be telling others to chill, or at least your hastily typed grammatical errors would insinuate that; and to hide behind the excuse of "it wasn't direct", when you actually did directly imply that said poster is a "pussy" with your wording is, to be frank, cowardly. I'm fairly sure that direct insults against other posters is, at the least, frowned upon and, at the worst, a bannable offense. It's just friendly advice brother; calm down and find a better way to formulate your opinion my man.

I don't think he meant what you think he meant......

Acerac

Banned
And to further your point, waiting until it becomes egregious and larger portions of content start being locked behind DLC it wil already be too late at that point. The people who don't see it as a problem in the future will be taken advantage of when the amiibos are required to get the full experience in a game. Or monetizing like F2P models where they slow down progression unless you have a figurine.

Saying oh that won't happen is ignorant. It will happen, it already is happening, and it has become the accepted norm after years of slowly progressing to this state for years.

Admittedly it helps to know others that collect Amiibo. Between myself, my boyfriend, and my friends I'll have access to all these bonuses without paying anything extra. As is it's just like getting little treats in games I would not otherwise have gotten. I got Ganondorf because I think he's a cool character and enjoy the character in Smash, everything afterwards has just been gravy.

I really do not think there would be a damage modifier on top of hero mode without Amiibo. Has Nintendo ever done anything like that previously?

As far as games that require multiple figures to unlock the whole experience, Skylanders has been doing this for years and there seems to be far less complaining about that than Nintendo potentially doing something similar down the line. Of course if you want to argue that the concept of toys to life is inherently problematic I won't disagree, I'm just saying that Nintendo is far from the worst implementation of the concept.

By 'difficulty level' you make it sound more significant than 'take double damage until you die', which is what it actually does. Its not a permanent campaign mode, like the included Hero mode.

It's a simple and temporary debuff, not an additional mode. It's the opposite of the Zelda one being able to refill all hearts in the middle of a battle, which I wouldn't count as significant content either.

Just because it has to be activated in a marginally different way doesn't change that it's a different difficultly mode. Come on.

The only constant change in the Zelda hard modes is double damage. You cannot now call it anything else just because Nintendo's horseshit amiibo implementation means you activate it by tapping an amiibo instead of ticking a box in an option screen.

Hell, in WWHD hero mode was able to be turned on and off at any time too from the load screen.

Worship

Banned
You're not clever. Contribute something to the discussion other than generalizations and straw man arguments, and crying foul when it blows up in your face.

Apology accepted, swearing's fine, throwing insults at someone because they poked fun at your response isn't though, sorry for derailing the thread.
telling somebody they arent clever isnt throwing an insult? i got one too. how about: i dont have these conversations in real life, because SJWs in real life keep their fucking mouths shut in person.

i wasnt throwing insults. i just made a statement.

This is DLC in the form of Amiibo.

If don't buy the DLC, you don't play the extra dungeon. It's as simple as that.
Works just like any other game out there.
No it doesn't, it's inherently worse. If for some reason the toy or cards go out of print, so does anyone's future access to this locked content. The fact that you need to deal with cumbersome figures to access DLC is beyond all practicality.

Top Bottom