• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has amiibo gone too far? (Twilight Princess HD)

I can't tell if this is serious or not.

If so, I'm sure they're really breaking the bank with that damage modifier.

I'm saying that without Amiibo they dont have reason to make extra content outside what they normally do. Hero mode has been standard in Zelda since Skyward Sword and is still in Windwaker HD and TP HD. OP is acting like Ganondorf adding additional damage is "going too far." No Ganondorf Amiibo existing means 4x Damage probably wouldn't be a thing because they have no incentive to add it since they already have hero mode implemented. Could they add it in without Amiibo? Yeah, but they have no reason too. These small extras are just ways to reward people who support Amiibo, to give people incentive to purchase these Amiibo. I haven't bought a single Amiibo since this all started and I still dont feel like I'm missing out on anything and I have pretty much every WiiU game that utilizes Amiibo aside from Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival.

Lernaean

Banned
Thing is, that several Amiibo work with several games. So in reality you could have bought a Link Amiibo last year, and use it on a game that will release next year.
What i mean is that for some, Amiibo may seem like too expensive, but for others, who like collecting figures and also plan to buy numerous Nintendo games, it is rather a good deal, as they can have "DLC" with an Amiibo that is already in their collection.
For me? I only buy the Amiibo i like from a collector's standpoint, and if they add something to a game i play, i welcome it.

I've ignored amiibo up until now but locking an interesting gameplay option behind a $13 dollar toy for a $60 remaster of a single game is at the point where it's hard for me to ignore personally. And I can only assume Nintendo plans to double down on amiibo with the NX, considering the way they've been selling.

Anyhoo, hypothetically speaking, if anyone has zero interest in amiibo, but doesn't want to be locked out of features of future Nintendo games they buy, there's apparently a device called the N2 Elite that emulates amiibo. Of course, emulating figures you don't personally own is a moral and legal no-no, so I'm just pointing out that the device is a thing that exists.

Darryl

Banned
Even then, I think that would be a really bad way to use amiibo haha

what is your implementation of amiibo-exclusive content here that you think would have caused less frustration. i cannot think of one. if i hadn't read this outrage thread on gaf, i would've never noticed this standing out as a promotion

what is your implementation of amiibo-exclusive content here that you think would have caused less frustration. i cannot think of one. if i hadn't read this outrage thread on gaf, i would've never noticed this standing out as a promotion
In this game in particular, amiibo shouldn't have been used at all because the game wasn't designed for them in the first place. But as it is, nobody is getting any enjoyment out of tapping an amiibo to do a 1 second switch that instantly makes the game easier. At least the Ganondorf thing is a little better because you can imagine that the kind of person who would buy a Ganondorf amiibo might be skilled enough to want a harder game and it fits the character. There's no amiibo integration in this game though which takes advantage of the fact that you're bringing your figure into the game world, which is how amiibo were originally advertised. Link and Zelda might as well be a particularly boring cheat code, their use has nothing to do with the statues.

Acerac

Banned
In this game in particular, amiibo shouldn't have been used at all because the game wasn't designed for them in the first place. But as it is, nobody is getting any enjoyment out of tapping an amiibo to do a 1 second switch that instantly makes the game easier. At least the Ganondorf thing is a little better because you can imagine that the kind of person who would buy a Ganondorf amiibo might be skilled enough to want a harder game and it fits the character. There's no amiibo integration in this game though which takes advantage of the fact that you're bringing your figure into the game world, which is how amiibo were originally advertised. Link and Zelda might as well be a particularly boring cheat code, their use has nothing to do with the statues.
This game wouldn't have had as many difficulty options if not for the Amiibo implementation. It sucks but let's be realistic, Nintendo would not had all these options if they didn't have the extra incentive to create them.

For anyone who owns a Ganon Amiibo this is a purely beneficial situation. For those who do not own the Amiibo there is no change. When many benefit and nobody is worse off it feels like a net gain to me.

Josh7289

I agree with the OP. I like when amiibo do things in games that make sense as things only amiibo can do.

Unlocking a new dungeon or difficulty mode is a bad and very forced use of amiibo. There is no reason that features like that should require amiibo, and I strongly feel that there should be a way to unlock those features without using amiibo at all, so it will be disappointing if Twilight Princess HD doesn't have any other methods to unlock them.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Nintendo seems to get a free pass because people here love to collect toys.

I was against the idea of exclusively having DLC locked behind a toy when they locked a weapon in Hyrule Warriors, but I got the samesorts of responses as I saw on page 1 of this thread. Yeah, it's not necessary to have this stuff to play the game. Do you know what else isn't necessary? Gaming. We do this because we want to.

Ordinarily I'd say just sell it as DLC the normal way, but difficulty modes being sold is wrong. I know they're not even the first to do it, but they're doing it for a ridiculous price now so it's doubly bad.

Simple guidelines:
Don't sell difficulty modes.
Don't force adults to buy toys to access content.

Edit:
Regarding the question of what Amiibos should be used for, I think it's simple. Early unlocks, small boosts like HW's rupees, and Smash's memory feature. Nintendo have already shown what they're useful for.

Tevious

I'm saying that without Amiibo they dont have reason to make extra content outside what they normally do. Hero mode has been standard in Zelda since Skyward Sword and is still in Windwaker HD and TP HD. OP is acting like Ganondorf adding additional damage is "going too far." No Ganondorf Amiibo existing means 4x Damage probably wouldn't be a thing because they have no incentive to add it since they already have hero mode implemented. Could they add it in without Amiibo? Yeah, but they have no reason too. These small extras are just ways to reward people who support Amiibo, to give people incentive to purchase these Amiibo. I haven't bought a single Amiibo since this all started and I still dont feel like I'm missing out on anything and I have pretty much every WiiU game that utilizes Amiibo aside from Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival.

Who knows, maybe they wouldn't have even locked the mirror world behind Hero Mode if the Ganondorf amiibo didn't exist as an alternative?

This whole argument still doesn't discount that the Ganondorf amiibo is essentially a difficulty mode that's locked away behind a physical purchase. They're charging MONEY to unlock a difficulty mode. Let that sink in.

People want Amiibo to do more things? Nintendo should make games that specifically are built around amiibo. Otherwise, it should just be inconsequential shit like costumes in other established IPs like Zelda or Mario, etc.

I don't get why people keep complaining about DLC in 2016. Regardless of how you feel about it, It been an industry standard for years now. Complaining won't change anything.

Novocaine

Yeah this is pretty gross. I can still remember when the Nintendo crowd boasted how they didn't get jacked with DLC. This is probably the worst implementation I've seen and people are happily accepting it?

Make the content available as a digital purchase, that comes free with specific amiibos.

I'm afraid the new system is going to have amiibo's so heavily integrated into it that they will be impossible to avoid if I want the full experience of a game. That is a future I don't want.

Mcdohl

I agree with you OP. And honestly I'm surprised at the indifference of people. That is why they can and will keep doing it.

But also, I understand why it's happening. Nintendo is a business after all, and the Wii U is not selling well. So it's actually very reasonable for them to seek other means for income.

So, both sides have a point. Let's just not let any side go too far.

Acerac

Banned
Nintendo seems to get a free pass because people here love to collect toys.
There are oodles of threads whining about Amiibo for practically every new Nintendo game that releases. The only thing more inevitable than threads whining about Amiibo after new features for the figures are announced are the posts in said threads claiming that Amiibo always receive a free pass.

Blues1990

I personally wouldn't have a problem with this, if there was an alternative way to unlock the content. Ideally through completing certain criteria in-game (such as completing the 100 Mario Challenge to unlock the Mario Costumes in Super Mario Maker, or using the amiibo that you have to unlock them ASAP).

Don't get me wrong, I have Yarn Yoshi, Ness, Lucas, and the three Splatoon amiibo, and I'm quite content with them. Great looking figurines, and what they do is pretty cool. But it shouldn't be the only option.

Flintty

This so much. This content is meant as a reward for Amiibo collectors, not an incentive to buy Amiibo.

Yeah this is pretty gross. I can still remember when the Nintendo crowd boasted how they didn't get jacked with DLC.

Gross eh? Ok.

jahasaja

This feels like the worst kind of DLC and I hope it will be called out more by gaming media.

Somehow they have managed to create a buy to win system plus locking content behind plastic toys and not many are complaining.

If this will be in the next Zelda and the next 3D Mario it will really suck.

Mcdohl

There are oodles of threads whining about Amiibo for practically every new Nintendo game that releases. The only thing more inevitable than threads whining about Amiibo after new features for the figures are announced are the posts in said threads claiming that Amiibo always receive a free pass.

I guess a lot of people see it as an anti-consumer practice.

Anti-consumer practices (or those perceived as) usually result in an overwhelming backlash from online communities: See Xbox One reveal, Steam charging for mods, and the recent React stuff.

So, people claiming that Nintendo gets a free pass are probably expecting a backlash like the ones I cited.

Just my 2 cents.

Sadist

It's not quite there yet actually.

Personally I believe locking the Cave of Ordeal Wolf version is an experiment from Nintendo to check how consumers react. There are some disappointed people out there, but I don't think the complaints are still pretty tame. That would change if Nintendo would lock away a Twilight Princess inspired dungeon behind the Wolf Link amiibo for Zelda U. These small things aren't very cool, but they are passable because they don't influence my enjoyment of the game.

I really wish Kimishima will make the right choices with amiibo. He acknowledged people buy them right now as a collectible. Keep it that way Nintendo.

I don't think Amiibo have gone too far, yet. I can understand concerns that they might, but at the moment i think Nintendo have got the balance right.

As of yet, I haven't felt I have missed out on anything by not owning any amiibo other than the Donkey Kong one. Mainly the features are cosmetic and don't really affect the game in any meaningful way. I had a look at the Donkey Kong compatibility list, and i can use him in 10 games. Which is good value for money.

But more importantly, i feel i'm not missing out because 99.9% of games are feature packed as they are ( except Smash Tennis). Hyrule Warriors and Smash for example have enough content to justify several games worth of content. Adventure mode in Hyrule Warriors for example could have easily been sold as DLC. So in that sense i feel i am getting a fair deal. I don't feel shortchanged by it. They are just optional extras on top of a whole lot more.

Even in Mario Kart, The DLC for 16 new tracks was only £11. Extremely good value for money and in Mario Maker you can actually unlock all the Amiibo stuff in game.

And in Splatoon we got free content for 9 months or so, of course some of that should have been in the original game, but i feel Nintendo have added extra on top of that as well.

Also the pricing of games comes into account here as well. Most Wii U games of late have been released with a price mark of around £30. Captain Toad and Splatoon were sub 30. So all in all i think , for myself, the value of what they release is pretty much spot on.

I understand concerns though, they are only one game from pushing the concept too much and then more people might turn against them. Whether they can maintain that balance of being acceptable is hard to gauge, especially as more and more games use it. I also feel that they should offer some of the Amiibo functionality as proper DLC for users to buy as well such as the Splatoon map remixes or even better do it like Mario Maker and have the ability to unlock the content, but not all of it, having a replenish your health once a day for say £2.99 is a micro transaction in all its nasty form.

Acerac

Banned
I guess a lot of people see it as an anti-consumer practice.

Anti-consumer practices (or those perceived as) usually result in an overwhelming backlash from online communities: See Xbox One reveal, Steam charging for mods, and the recent React stuff.

So, people claiming that Nintendo gets a free pass are probably expecting a backlash like the ones I cited.

Just my 2 cents.

I'd have to imagine the mixed reaction is because this has some pretty nice upsides for consumers who want to opt in. I never have to buy another Amiibo again and they'll benefit me til Nintendo stops supporting them. Based on all the doom and gloom in this thread, my purchases will give me bonus content for years.

Conversely, Skylanders, a series that is bigger than Amiibo, is far more restrictive with what it locks out. You can't access entire areas unless you buy many figures and they can be ultra rare (Kaos Trap). GAF threads on Skylanders are rare, and they are never as negative as Amiibo threads.

Between benefits to consumers and having direct competitors that are far more anti-consumer it seems no surprise that the reaction to the figures would be mixed. Anyone who would equate the implementation of Amiibo to the copyrighting of react videos is... reaching. At best.

Who knows, maybe they wouldn't have even locked the mirror world behind Hero Mode if the Ganondorf amiibo didn't exist as an alternative?

This whole argument still doesn't discount that the Ganondorf amiibo is essentially a difficulty mode that's locked away behind a physical purchase. They're charging MONEY to unlock a difficulty mode. Let that sink in.

People want Amiibo to do more things? Nintendo should make games that specifically are built around amiibo. Otherwise, it should just be inconsequential shit like costumes in other established IPs like Zelda or Mario, etc.

Mirroring the world for Hero Mode should have been expected, its the same thing they did with OoT Master Quest. Only reason Windwaker didnt have it is because of how important direction is in that game. The only reason Mirror Mode seems to bother people is simply because Mirror Mode existed in the form of the Wii Version beforehand. If Wii Version wasnt originally mirrored people would be praising the world being Mirrored again just like they were with OoT.

They already added a difficulty mode to the game with Hero mode and they didnt have to do that either. 4x Damage has never been a norm in Zelda games even with Hero Mode and they found a reason to implement it with the Ganondorf Amiibo. His 2x damage multipler is incentive to buy his Amiibo not incentive to buy TP HD. And remember, your not paying 12$ solely for 2x damage, your paying 12$ for every extra content Ganondorf Amiibo is compatible with, which is something people seem to forget when bringing up these types of threads. You say Amiibo should contain "inconsequential shit" and Ganondorf's Amiibo capability is pretty inconsequential. It doesnt prevent you from playing the game and 100%ing it and you have access to a more difficult mode regardless.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
At the end of the day, amiibo are collectible figures first and foremost. They're an entire line of figures spanning Nintendo's vast history that haven't had (or most likely will never have) figure representation, such as Little Mac, Duck Hunt and Captain Falcon. Having them unlock costumes and give random items in games is just frosting on the cake.

Nintendo isn't forcing you to spend $12 to unlock a difficulty mode--you're paying for everything Ganondorf can unlock in current and future games wrapped up in a cool collectible official little statue.

Besides, Nintendo making official figures of Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta is the coolest freaking thing ever.

Always listen to Diggeh people.

Mz4oVxR.gif

Fliesen

I welcome our Toys-to-life overlords.

DLC that i can simply share with my buddy when i'm done with the game? Sign me up!

It's the best feature of Disney Infinity.

At the end of the day, amiibo are collectible figures first and foremost. They're an entire line of figures spanning Nintendo's vast history that haven't had (or most likely will never have) figure representation, such as Little Mac, Duck Hunt and Captain Falcon. Having them unlock costumes and give random items in games is just frosting on the cake.

Nintendo isn't forcing you to spend $12 to unlock a difficulty mode--you're paying for everything Ganondorf can unlock in current and future games wrapped up in a cool collectible official little statue.

Besides, Nintendo making official figures of Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta is the coolest freaking thing ever.

[/QUOTE]

I don't want to play mirrored mode with the higher difficulty. I want to play it in the correct orientation, and I don't want to pay an extra 13 bucks to get the same difficulty with actual hearts.

Tevious

Mirroring the world for Hero Mode should have been expected, its the same thing they did with OoT Master Quest. Only reason Windwaker didnt have it is because of how important direction is in that game. The only reason Mirror Mode seems to bother people is simply because Mirror Mode existed in the form of the Wii Version beforehand. If Wii Version wasnt originally mirroed people would be praising the world being Mirrored again just like they were with OoT.

No, it's not the same thing. Master Quest in OoT mirrored the world, but it also changed the layout of puzzles in dungeons. There was no x2 damage or missing hearts. It wasn't a "Hero Mode" at all, it was just a different layout mode. I think the reason they didn't include a mirror version mode in WW HD is because it didn't already exist. It was already done for TP with the Wii version, so they just got lazy and tacked it onto the Hero Mode... maybe even with the mindset that if people want to play a hard mode without the mirrored world, they can just use the Ganondorf amiibo feature.

1. Yes it is, you're paying to unlock a difficulty modifier for this game. What used to be something that was a common feature given for free in many games over the generations, to choose a difficulty level, is now a $13 season pass. Can you imagine if Naughty Dog locked the "Brutal" difficulty in the Uncharted: ND Collection and the upcoming Uncharted 4 behind a "Brutal Pass" DLC?

2. I don't think it's cool and I don't want one!
chyjsgrnzwdl5tkzg.jpg

jahasaja

It's not quite there yet actually.

Personally I believe locking the Cave of Ordeal Wolf version is an experiment from Nintendo to check how consumers react. There are some disappointed people out there, but I don't think the complaints are still pretty tame. That would change if Nintendo would lock away a Twilight Princess inspired dungeon behind the Wolf Link amiibo for Zelda U. These small things aren't very cool, but they are passable because they don't influence my enjoyment of the game.

I really wish Kimishima will make the right choices with amiibo. He acknowledged people buy them right now as a collectible. Keep it that way Nintendo.

That is the thing. Nintendo has not released a big enough game yet so people have not complained load enough.

Also, the game which they have been implemented in are quite easy. Imagine, if they made DK:TF or the end of Mario 3d world more easy.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Isabelle amiibo doesn't make everyone speak in animalese so I'd say they haven't gone far enough!

No, it's not the same thing. Master Quest in OoT mirrored the world, but it also changed the layout of puzzles in dungeons. There was no x2 damage or missing hearts. It wasn't a "Hero Mode" at all, it was just a different layout mode. I think the reason they didn't include a mirror version mode in WW HD is because it didn't already exist. It was already done for TP with the Wii version, so they just got lazy and tacked it onto the Hero Mode... maybe even with the mindset that if people want to play a hard mode without the mirrored world, they can just use the Ganondorf amiibo feature.

I'm assuming most people here are considering Hero Mode to mean a more difficult mode. Master Quest was inherently a Hero Mode. It was a more difficult version of the original game, mirroring the world was only one way they used to increase the difficulty. It just so happens increasing the damage and removing hearts is a lot easier of a way to implement hero mode than redoing entire puzzles and dungeon layouts. As for WWHD that could be a possibility, but OoT didn't have a mirrored world either before hand. I still believe WWHD Hero mode wasn't mirrored because of the heavy emphasis of direction in that game.

Yarbskoo

It's pretty obvious these bonuses wouldn't have existed at all if they didn't have to come up with something for the amiibo to do. If the Ganondorf amiibo didn't unlock extra damage, that mode wouldn't exist, and no one would be surprised because then it would be just like every other Zelda game.

Tevious

I'm assuming most people here are considering Hero Mode to mean a more difficult mode. Master Quest was inherently a Hero Mode. It was a more difficult version of the original game, mirroring the world was only one way they used to increase the difficulty. It just so happens increasing the damage and removing hearts is a lot easier of a way to implement hero mode than redoing entire puzzles and dungeon layouts. As for WWHD that could be a possibility, but OoT didn't have a mirrored world either before hand. I still believe WWHD Hero mode wasn't mirrored because of the heavy emphasis of direction in that game.

Not originally, no, but it did when it was released on GameCube so they just included it with OoT3D because it was already done.

KiteGr

Amibos are one of my primary reasons I'm being skeptic about getting another nintendo console. (the others being the crappy tablet for a controller, the lack of firepower and their failure to bring at least 8 games that got me interested)
They are pretty much, overpriced DLC in physical form. Only instead of giving you extra gameplay, now they give you things that should be in the game.

On the other hand however, I hate digital-only content, and amibos are a nice way to turn in physical.
If they where to contain something worthy like some true expansion content, instead of simple keys to unlock skins and tweaks already existing on the game's code, I might had a different opinion.

Not originally, no, but it did when it was released on GameCube so they just included it with OoT3D because it was already done.

The Gamecube version of Master Quest wasn't mirrored though, actually reading the Wiki now, OoT 3D Master Quest had a 2x Damage Multiplier too, so it really was a Hero Mode.

1. Yes it is, you're paying to unlock a difficulty modifier for this game. What used to be something that was a common feature given for free in many games over the generations, to choose a difficulty level, is now a $13 season pass. Can you imagine if Naughty Dog locked the "Brutal" difficulty in the Uncharted: ND Collection and the upcoming Uncharted 4 behind a "Brutal Pass" DLC?

chyjsgrnzwdl5tkzg.jpg

"What used to a common feature given for free in many games." Hero mode is an extra difficulty mode given for free in this game. If they locked Hero Mode entirely behind Ganondorf maybe you'd have a point but its available. Also you seem to conveniently leave out the rest of his comment, your not paying 13$ for use in one single game, your paying 13$ for use in every single current and future game the amiibo is compatible with. If ND locked the Brutal Difficulty in Uncharted 4 with DLC that DLC will only work for that game, not Uncharted 5, 6, 7, 8. Even Season Passes only work for one single game.

RAWi

So if you want some challenge you need the Ganon figure? Latest Zelda games' problem is that they are too easy...

Um, no?

Just play Hero Mode: You take 2x Damage, and hearts appearing lowers.

You still feel its too difficult? Don't upgrade your Hearts, don't collect the Heart Containers. There you go.

Ganon just takes damage to a 4x Damage.

Celine

Hero Mode is not locked behind amiibo usage. Hero Mode mirrors the world (i.e. the Wii world layout), takes x 2 damage, and has less (no?) heart container drops. Ganondorf adds a x 2 damage wherever he's used whether that's in regular mode or Hero Mode. In Hero Mode, using him makes the damage x 4. Hero Mode is not locked behind Ganondorf, though.
Then I see nothing offensive in what Amiibo unlocks.

The real answer here is not getting rid of amiibos but instead making digital amiibos. The amiibo idea is that they add small things to multiple games, like buying dlc that works with multiple titles instead of just one.

The problem that most people have is that they don't want a statue. The toys are tacky, they take up space, you're a digital only gamer, the statues aren't readily available, etc.

So, instead of just statues they sell digital 3D models that unlock the same content. Maybe even give the models some animation or different poses, something to justify them still being close to amiibos prices, like $10 instead of $13 since there's no physical object to make.

That's free Nintendo, unless you just really want to pay me for fixing the company.
Please pay me. ..

As someone who owns 50 Amiibo I think it would be nice if they let you unlock them in game via achievements. The Amiibos should be "early unlocks" or offer something very minor like what they did in Smash Bros, or Hyrule Warriors.

Locking dungeons, game modes, items, and difficulty modes are not something I want to become the norm.

Tevious

The Gamecube version of Master Quest wasn't mirrored though, actually reading the Wiki now, OoT 3D Master Quest had a 2x Damage Multiplier too, so it really was a Hero Mode.

Okay, thanks for clarifying. I'm all confused, lol. You know, I could have sworn I remembered that dungeons or something was mirrored in the original OoT MQ, but I guess not? Apparently, they just mirrored the world for OoT3D MQ. Didn't know about the x2 damage for OoT3D MQ, but it did have hearts in both versions.

Um, no?

You still feel its too difficult? Don't upgrade your Hearts, don't collect the Heart Containers. There you go.

IMO awhile back I remember thinking that in order for TP to have a significant difference in difficulty for Hero mode it would need a damage multiplayer larger than 2x (without resorting to self imposed challenges on a difficulty mode that is supposed to provide adequate challenge on its own), so I am still disappointed that the highest level of difficulty is locked behind a hefty price gate (even if it technically is not a difficulty mode)

Nocturno999

Um, no?

Don't upgrade heart containers sounds like an artificial way to raise difficulty.

ConceptX

Isn't this more of a case of people realizing Amiibo are DLC, when they have always been DLC.

Rather than "going too far"?

Sure it's mainly been cosmetic changes, but this is the same with any other form of DLC, most of it is minor, some of it is major.

Tevious

Isn't this more of a case of people realizing Amiibo are DLC, when they have always been DLC.

Rather than "going too far"?

Sure it's mainly been cosmetic changes, but this is the same with any other form of DLC, most of it is minor, some of it is major.

Who else had DLC for a game difficulty mode increase? That isn't going too far? The Twilight Dungeon is also equivalent to Day One DLC, which many people here love to shit on, but probably many of the same people will conveniently ignore it in this case because they love amiibo figures, lol.

jonno394

Just reading the title made me think of this image, if I had photoshop talent i'd so something that attempted to be funny

482__211d8444a3754e2e5526555289f6787d.jpg

Who else had DLC for a game difficulty mode increase? That isn't going too far? The Twilight Dungeon is also equivalent to Day One DLC, which many people here love to shit on, but probably many of the same people will conveniently ignore it in this case because they love amiibo figures, lol.

I do understand the frustration about the prospect of being forced to buy an amiibo for a single purpose, but as I've said before I usually see amiibos as both a collector's item (which not everyone cares about) and as an investment in seeing just what other content I can get out of this thing. Other games were somewhat inconsequential in the content amiibo gave, which is what a number of people preferred was all they did and the people who invest in the amiibos complaining that they should do more, but this game will be the real test in gauging just what sort of content Nintendo sees its fans want from amiibo.

That said, the market has already spoken, given their amiibo sales numbers, and although a good amount of people believe in the principle of getting a game's "whole experience" out in one go, it's very subjective in what one can consider significant content, especially considering what the amiibos would unlock in this remaster. I personally don't see the content unlocked by amiibo as anything too significant at all, with the trials dungeon I can see being the most content heavy, mainly because the implementation ultimately does not detract my core experience in any substantial way, but I do understand how a lot of people can balk away from that. I would agree with the consensus that such features should be available separately for purchase at the very least.

Top Bottom